BlackRob183

What Friday movie started it for You?

39 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone made a topic like this yet but I wanted to start one if not!

Anyway the movie that started my interest in the series overall was actually Jason X and I'm wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me or what you guys think of that movie? For some reason I feel like I'm in a small group (if not the only one lol) so I'm wondering where everyone stands with Jason X and where they started.

I was born in the early 80s but I don't think I've ever seen (that I can remember) an actual Friday movie from start to finish (or parts of them even) until Jason X came out. I downloaded it when it came out and fell in love with the Jason/Friday franchise ever since and ended up getting/watching them all a few times. Of course though I knew of and who both Freddy and Jason were and liked em both but didn't really know anything about them besides they were cool looking and scary guys who killed people at the time, when I was a kid lol.

Anyway what started your love for the series?

Being born in 1989 most movies were out already wasn't until i was about 15 before seeing my first Friday movie. Never heard of the franchise before so checked out the original after seeing that i just had to watch the rest of them.

I was glad when the remake came out and i was old enough to go see it in cinemas. So yeah pretty much seeing the original started it for me.

i was 8 or 9. and just accidentialy seen that ALIENS scene at the end when Bishop got ripped in half and i wanted to know why his blood was white and not red like mine. so my mom took the time to explain to me how those effects in movies are not real, how they do it with expensive custom made puppets and people sticking in floors to make it look more real etc, from that point on i wasnt scared of horror movies anymore or stuff like that. afterall it was all just really expensive play pretend right?! and my mom knew then that it was ok to let me see horror movies etc.

so i was on sick leave from school. mom went to the videorental store, called our place to ask "what should i bring? this Arnold movie, or this one here... something with a guy in a hockeymask?" i had watched all Arnold movies already so i went for the hockey mask one.

it was Jason Takes Manhatten. i fell in love with the looks of him right away. just so cool with the hockey mask.

after that i made my mother rent me all the previous movies of the franchise they had in that store.

it was Jason Takes Manhatten

Part III on cable (by myself) when I was like 8 or 9 (I was born in 1980).  Chris Higgins was an awesome final girl and probably the most physical in the series.  Totally motivated me to watch all the Friday the 13ths, Nightmare on Elm Streets and Halloweens through a mix of cable and Blockbuster rentals.  Actually, I ended up watching a lot of horror in my youth, but it was always the slasher sub-genre that really entertained me.

The familiar 80s formula kinda ruined me for later slashers that deviated from it.  I can not stand when: (1) there is no sole survivor because the killer got everyone, (2) it was all just a dream and no one really died or (3) the protagonist ends up being the killer, either intentionally through deception or unknowingly through some mental issue.  Because of Chris Higgins, I fully expect a traditional ending where the final girl (or guy) defeats of the evil bad guy after a really strenuous game of cat-and-mouse.

thatdudescott likes this

Part VI, on late night tv in the early nineties. Next one a couple years later, in the same format, was Part VII and I think Jason X was actually the third one I saw. It was the first one I actually owned.

First movie for me was the Original Friday the 13th, June 13th 1997. I was 13 years old...

Wait... There's a video for this (it's kind of hard for me to watch this minute long tribute/intro, because the music remind me of the end of the first movie and it brings up a lot of memories)

I don't remember it, actually.

My best guess would be that it had to be one of the first ones, and I probably watched it at some point in the 90s when I was young.

I would have to say F13 Part 2 or 3 I believe on VHS( Yes I'm that old :P) It was a wrap from that point on. I then went on to see all the rest of the F13's in the theater.

I was 10 years old 30 years ago and I was at my local rental store and I made my mom rent part 4 for me because the cover had the knife in the mask with blood lol I had know idea what it was and then I watched it by myself and just felt disturbed after it was over and immediately popped in my 2nd rental which I never saw Police Academy which cheered me up!

Part VI, on late night tv in the early nineties.

Mine was also Part VI, probably that very same showing.

A quick check on the BBC Genome Project suggests it was Friday the 13th March 1992. Next showings for VI were July 23rd 1994, then 28th September 1995.

They showed Jason Takes Manhattan on 15th November 1992, 7th April 1995 and 5th October 1996.

Can't find any showings for VII, oddly. I know VI and VIII the first ones I saw, probably those 1992 transmissions.

DamonD7 likes this

My first Friday the 13th was Part 3 but not officially. I say that because when we used to go to the drive-in they would have other movies playing on nearby screens. My parents took me to the drive-in at the same time the Friday the 13th movies were playing and I would end up watching those movies rather than paying attention to the movie we came to watch lol. I saw Part 4 the same way. Of course I had no sound but those movies were simple enough where you didn't need audio to know what was going on. Part 6 was my first "official" big screen viewing and it was probably the best crowd I ever saw a movie with. My favorite rebellious aunt (RIP) knew I wanted to see Part 6 really bad and snuck me out to see it.

TheFinalGay likes this

I saw part 1 with me mum in 2006. I was ten and worried about going to camp so she watched part 1 with me and told me if anything happened to me she'd do like Mrs. Voorhees haha.

Eventually when I was older I watched the whole series with her

My introduction to the series was clips of Freddy vs Jason on YouTube that I saw when I was 12. I'd already heard of both of these characters, but I was so impressed with how badass and unstoppable Jason seemed. Now I cringe at Ken's performance as Jason, but I was impressed at the time. The first Friday The 13th movie I actually watched, was Part II, at the age of 13. I fell in love.

My introduction was part 3, mainly due to my older sister. Couldn't have been no more than 6 or 7 at the time she introduced it to me. It was recorded off the good ole VCR from cable tv with commercials. Later on she showed me part 2. It wasn't scary to me and in fact I was rooting for him even that early. I remember feeling bad for the victims though, especially the bearded hippy who seemed undeserving. 

I was probably nine years old. My mom and her boyfriend were going to rent some movies. They asked me if there was anything I wanted to see. I said Annie, or Friday the 13th. All I knew about F13 was that it was bloody and that a guy in a hockey mask was the killer. I was very disturbed by the movie, and also kind of confused when it turned out to be Pamela. But the movies have been a guilty pleasure of mine ever since.

Part 4 will always be the iconic film in the series to me though. It has a darker tone and it is, in my mind, the most brutal. There isnt much cheesiness, and I think Jason is at his most frightening and I think he had the best look. I still feel somewhat uneasy watching it.

Mine was also Part VI, probably that very same showing.

A quick check on the BBC Genome Project suggests it was Friday the 13th March 1992. Next showings for VI were July 23rd 1994, then 28th September 1995.

They showed Jason Takes Manhattan on 15th November 1992, 7th April 1995 and 5th October 1996.

Can't find any showings for VII, oddly. I know VI and VIII the first ones I saw, probably those 1992 transmissions.

I strongly feel it was the Part VI in March '92 and Part VIII in November '92 screenings that I saw. I know it was not that long after the films had actually come out and that I saw them pretty close to each other (same calendar year).

Thank you for the information!

My Mom was in her tweens/teens during the Friday glory days(I was born in '90, she was 19) and was a huge horror fan so they were just kind-of always in rotation for as long as I remember. I was 6/7 when she showed my brother and I 'Scream' for the first time and that was our test to see if we were ready for the Friday, Nightmare, Halloween and Hellraiser movies. My brother wasn't really a big fan of them but my Mom and I both loved them so we'd watch them every weekend while I was growing up. Started with the OG and worked our way up.

it was on my 18th birthday, i was alone in the woods in a tiny 1 room apartment actually built in a insane asylum and it was like, nobody was going to visit me and i was a huge horror nerd (still am)

i went to my local video store and they gave me Part 4 among other movies and i wasnt scared more than 1 time when SPOILER ALERT tina died thrown out the window since i didnt see it coming, thinking he would be behind her or under the bed.

but after that i seen and love them all (EVEN Jason goes to hell!)

Not sure if anyone made a topic like this yet but I wanted to start one if not!

Anyway the movie that started my interest in the series overall was actually Jason X and I'm wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me or what you guys think of that movie? For some reason I feel like I'm in a small group (if not the only one lol) so I'm wondering where everyone stands with Jason X and where they started.

I was born in the early 80s but I don't think I've ever seen (that I can remember) an actual Friday movie from start to finish (or parts of them even) until Jason X came out. I downloaded it when it came out and fell in love with the Jason/Friday franchise ever since and ended up getting/watching them all a few times. Of course though I knew of and who both Freddy and Jason were and liked em both but didn't really know anything about them besides they were cool looking and scary guys who killed people at the time, when I was a kid lol.

Anyway what started your love for the series?

You fell in love with the F13th franchise after watching Jason X?

the-actual-fuck.jpg

My father was big on VHS and horror,and he recorded everything off of cable. It had to have been 1992 or 1993 which would put me around 6 or 7 years old when I started sneak-watching those tapes. My earliest Friday memory is Part VI which also turned me into one of the youngest Alice Cooper fans around.