cinda

Worst Friday Film in Series?

89 posts in this topic

For me, I have to say it's JGTH.  I mean, the body jumping.  The snakish thing coming out of his mouth and going into the next body?  All the weird stuff.  I get it, they wanted to try new things.  Hell, I even liked some things.  At least, when the real Jason was in the movie.  And what was up with that huge Voorhees house?   Guess Jason moved up from his little shack in the woods!

I enjoyed every other movie much more.   Jason X, although it's Jason in space(A little ridiculous) still was fun to watch.  At least you get the actual Jason throughout the movie   And I didn't have too much of a problem with the remake   Could have been better.  Could have been A LOT worse   

When I first heard about JGTH, I thought it was going to be some awesome sci-fi movie where he's in the fiery depths of Hell killing everything. But it was far from. Pretty disappointing. The whole mouth to mouth thing was just strange and hilarious.

Andy likes this

I love the entire series and can't just "pick" a worst film... however...

Worst movie of the franchise (editing, writing, direction) - A tie between Manhattan and Part V. Say what you will about JGTH but it is much better put together movie than ANB / JTM.

In the end every entry is memorable and fun to watch for me. Though I have to be in a certain mood to properly enjoy Jason X and JTM.

3 minutes ago, Survival said:

I love the entire series and can't just "pick" a worst film... however...

Worst movie of the franchise (editing, writing, direction) - A tie between Manhattan and Part V. Say what you will about JGTH but it is much better put together movie than ANB / JTM.

In the end every entry is memorable and fun to watch for me. Though I have to be in a certain mood to properly enjoy Jason X and JTM.

I guess I have to disagree here. Jason Goes to Hell was made by a bunch of kids just out of college and it shows. In terms of quality, it's only slightly above Jason X- it's poorly filmed, paced, edited, written, directed, everything. :)

17 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I guess I have to disagree here. Jason Goes to Hell was made by a bunch of kids just out of college and it shows. In terms of quality, it's only slightly above Jason X- it's poorly filmed, paced, edited, written, directed, everything. :)

I guess we will have to disagree there... :D

Though I still find the editing in Parts IV & V to be the worst of the series imho. Part IV is great, but the editing is horrendous. The movies were made on a very tight schedule.

Although there are certainly a lot of worthy contenders for the title of "most hated," for me, I really think the reboot deserves the honor alone. Not because of the bad writing or changes to the Jason's abilities and mythos, but more so for the overall shallowness that everyone seems to exude. They're either immensely cruel to one another or just plain shallow. Not to say the other installments are without their deplorable characters, but at least it was more believable that in those films their friendships and relationships were more believable.  There were numerous occasions where I found myself asking, "why are these people even friends?" 

And then there were the actual kills, I will never forget the first (and last) time I showed my girlfriend this film. She couldn't make it through the opening segment because of how horrific the kills were. Having been a major fan of horror films for a long while now, I never really thought anything of it when I first saw the flick, but I started to see her point after her reaction to the film. Unlike other kills in the series, the reboot seemed to put a larger emphasis on the suffering of Jason's victims. Whether it was watching a girl being burnt alive or a screwdriver go through their head, the director makes sure you hear (and see) almost everything. It was almost like they wanted you to enjoy their pain.

Personally, I don't watch Ft13th (or any slasher) for shlock like that. To me, these films are all about enjoying the hilarity of every silly mistake the counselors make, or the suspense of wondering how Jason is going to take each one of them out. It's about the thrill of the chase!

The reboot was only about the thrill of pain.

12 minutes ago, Jack said:

Although there are certainly a lot of worthy contenders for the title of "most hated," for me, I really think the reboot deserves the honor alone. Not because of the bad writing or changes to the Jason's abilities and mythos, but more so for the overall shallowness that everyone seems to exude. They're either immensely cruel to one another or just plain shallow. Not to say the other installments are without their deplorable characters, but at least it was more believable that in those films their friendships and relationships were more believable.  There were numerous occasions where I found myself asking, "why are these people even friends?" 

I'm gonna have to debate you here. Shallow characters. Our lead, Sam Winchester has more motive then most leads in these films. His sister has motive as well. And the rest of the partygoers are no more shallow then in any other installment. I don't get how Shelly and Andy's friendship was any more real then Chewy and Lawrence. This smacks of  personal bias. 

As to why anybody was pals with Chad Kensington Trent, the answer is money. 

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

And then there were the actual kills, I will never forget the first (and last) time I showed my girlfriend this film. She couldn't make it through the opening segment because of how horrific the kills were. Having been a major fan of horror films for a long while now, I never really thought anything of it when I first saw the flick, but I started to see her point after her reaction to the film. Unlike other kills in the series, the reboot seemed to put a larger emphasis on the suffering of Jason's victims. Whether it was watching a girl being burnt alive or a screwdriver go through their head, the director makes sure you hear (and see) almost everything. It was almost like they wanted you to enjoy their pain.

What you're telling us is that the reboot did something most in the series fails to do. It made your girlfriend empathize, get in the shoes of the characters. "That could be me. Oh shit, that's messed up." is much better then "Wow, by killing those six extras in a vanilla axe slash, they made the killcount higher then the last one." The fact is that Friday the 13th is full of people suffering. Chris, the lone survivor from 3 had a mental breakdown. Tommy did as well, though by the completion of his character arc, he had overcome his demons. The fact is that in F13 people die in terror and pain. 

Also while some may enjoy seeing people in pain, maybe the director wanted people to realize that being murdered by a psycho wasn't a picnic. 

22 minutes ago, Jack said:

Personally, I don't watch Ft13th (or any slasher) for shlock like that. To me, these films are all about enjoying the hilarity of every silly mistake the counselors make, or the suspense of wondering how Jason is going to take each one of them out. It's about the thrill of the chase!

The reboot was only about the thrill of pain.

Eh. This sounds like morality policing to me. "I don't enjoy slasher flicks for it's lowbrow violence and sex, I enjoy it for it's higher pursuits such as how these idiots put themselves in position to die." You're enjoying the same schlock as the rest of us plebs. 

All in all you are entitled to your opinion, but I have to say your commentary sounds pretty ridiculous.

I love all the Jason movies. However, I am against Jason X simply because it has the possibility to restrict Jason from being in a more current time. I guess the easier way to say it is: Jason X fucked the timeline.

1 hour ago, iFruit 9iX said:

I love all the Jason movies. However, I am against Jason X simply because it has the possibility to restrict Jason from being in a more current time. I guess the easier way to say it is: Jason X fucked the timeline.

Check out a comic page from a possible Jason X future. Remember how the mask landed in a lake on Earth 2 at the end of the movie? What if the nanotech remade Jason!? 

5 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Or.... PLANET JASON?!?!?!?!

Sorry. I'll let that die now.

How do you kill that which is already dead?

Also, the planet Jason idea would work better as an Alien multiplayer game in my opinion. Or zombies, but zombies are everywhere.

54 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

How do you kill that which is already dead?

Unplug it from the outlet?

Now i'm thinking of that happening to Uber Jason.

54 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Also, the planet Jason idea would work better as an Alien multiplayer game in my opinion. Or zombies, but zombies are everywhere.

I'd prefer something of an alien/xenomorph game like that. With animals and such that also roam the world. When the animal is then face fuc- *ahem* hugged by a facehugger the alien that bursts from it will have characteristics of the animal in question. And when people are inflicted we will see the standard xenomorph we've all grown to know and love. I mean imagine a crocodile mixed with a xenomorph.. oh wait.

maxresdefault.jpg

They already did that for a batman/alien crossover for a comic book

Yes you read that right. Batman Vs Aliens.

And that Alien came from Killer Croc. Why does this comic sound so stupid but so awesome?

Risinggrave and Lionhearted215 like this

Rewatching them all to build up towards the game, it'll be interesting to see if my opinion wavers at all. Okay, maybe only interesting to me :P but we'll see.