cinda

Worst Friday Film in Series?

106 posts in this topic

Before rewatching Jason Goes to Hell (JGTH) I would have argued that the Friday remake would be the worst. Between Jason using lighting and taking captives it was basically pretty much a pointless film. I would argue that the "main group" was pretty much window dressing for the girl Jason took captive in the beginning and for the guy pursuing her whereabouts but parts 4 and 7 did just that in the form of neighbors.

JGTH, sweet baby Jesus it was bad. As soon as the FBI began firing at Jason in the beginning and we heard grunts I realized how much I forgot this installment. 

1) The grunting.

2) The body-jumping

3) The relatives. "He'll keep coming for you, you'll never be safe." Well they seemed to have been fine since 1979, now all of a sudden it's an issue.

4) The newscaster. His reporting as well as his proximity to the relatives. Small world. 

5) Jason's "rebirth" puts him back to what he looked like in the beginning, how is that a rebirth?

6) When did the Voorhees family get a Mansion?

7) So are we to be believed that the entirety of America knew about Jason/Crystal Lakes for 20 years?

Awful. 

DialM, Gdain and Hal Bailman like this

Haha yea i get what youre saying for JGTH. To me it just didnt even feel like an F13th movie, but I still kind of enjoyed it. The characters were pretty likeable and it had some spoooky moments.

To me the worst is Manhattan. The only character i liked was Eva, they have hands down the worst final girl/guy duo, most of the deaths feel easily avoidable, the weird flashbacks, toxic waste turning jason into a child again, the whole thing lol. Still bought it though haha.

I often judge how much I like a slasher by how involved I am in the final confrontation between the killer and the final girl and boy this one was boring. Nothing compared to Alice vs Mrs Voorhees, Chris vs Jason and Trish vs Jason

cinda likes this

I still remember my brother and I being so hyped going into the theater to see JGTH and when we exited the theater we were both wearing disappointed expressions of WTF. I was really excited about the movie because it really did look different from the usual. The trailer had this high production value sheen to it with supernatural elements and Jason looked great...one of my favorite looks of him combining Fridays of the past (over-sized bulbous head of part 2 and 4 and ripped up mask of Part 7). After Paramount gave us the terrible Jason Takes Manhattan and New Line took over I thought the quality of the series could only get better. I couldn't be more wrong lol. I really liked the first 10 minutes with the classic score and going back to Crystal Lake and once Jason is blown to bits it all took a nosedive. I hated the story. The body-hopping seemed like a bad ripoff of The Hidden which is one of my favorite sci-fi "B" films of all-time. Like I said, I loved Jason's look in the film and seeing him for only a fraction of the movie was one of the dumbest ideas anyone had ever had. Even when he's "reborn" there was no saving this film as I had just watched a coroner, a pot-bellied cop and a news reporter do all the killing. Loved the random shaving scene too. Riveting stuff. And Jason was so out of character in the last 5 minutes it was ridiculous. He doesn't toy with his victim, toss him to the ground, or throw him around on jungle gyms. It just felt out of place to me. I also didn't find anyone likable in this movie. Every single character annoyed the shit out of me, especially the main characters. After the first 10 minutes of the film Crystal Lake is faceless. May as well just be another town. I could go on forever about this movie and also write a novel on Part 8 lol. I've always wanted to meet Adam Marcus to ask him what the hell he was thinking. 

cinda likes this

Hmmm... I hate both JGTH and Part 5.

My most hated? ... That's a tough one.

Part 5 had some no name fuck pretending to be Jason. But it had a few good scenes.

JGTH was much the same... but it also turned Jason into a Demon Parasite thing...

Honestly I probably hate JGTH the most.

DamonD7 and cinda like this

Jason X for me. Dear God is it bad. JGTH at least feels like a good horror movie, if not a good Jason movie. Jason X is just embarrassing. Half the kills are off screen, it's completely ridiculous, and just feels insulting to the whole series. I consider it non-canon and just a "What If" story.

cinda likes this

It's extremely close between Part V and JGTH to me. But I'd probably say Part V is my least favourite.

JGTH is very dumb and weird and irritating and counter-productive, though I do like the Jason look here as well (voted for it on the poll!)

But Part V, as well as the famous Jason/Roy cheat, is so packed wall-to-wall with disgusting and annoying assholes that it becomes more of a chore for me to sit through. Especially since there's no cathersis of a proper Jason bumping them off. The small handful of positives (I liked Shepherd's Tommy, Reggie's funny, a couple of cute girls and pretty much the whole "His Eyes"/Violet dancing kill scene is a little diamond amongst coal) can't outweigh all the negatives I feel.

It's simply tiresome. And tiresome hits the bottom of the barrel harder than irritating, because it means I care even less.

Jason X, though, I'm totally fine with. Hovers somewhere around the middle and feels more like a SciFi Channel flick than a real F13th film, but I've had fun with it and hope that one day I too will live through the Microsoft Conflict.

I can almost get into Part 8 and Jason X because they act as a "what if" fantasy of taking Jason out of the CL environment and introducing him to a new 'map.' Through both films he stays in character and acts like the zombie-terminator with some comedic instances: Seeing a hockey mask billboard in NYC or killing aliens and women during the space simulations. 

Turd Whoppers:

Jason Goes To Hell: Fk you. Enough said.

Friday Remake : I'd like to capture the writer and director and lock them in my basement so they can't make any more films. 

Effete:

Friday 5... When I was a child seeing this movie, I exhausted all my energy trying to convince my sister (also a fan of the series (much more so than myself) and also six years older) that the killer wasn't Jason. For some reason she didn't get it or understand. She believed that Jason/Roy fell, impaled the main counselor and got up and walked away. I then explained the main counselor was already shown dead with nails in his head against the tree. 10 years later she finally admitted her folly... 

The case for Part 5: It could be comparable to Part 1's Pamela character. As Part 7's intro stated: there's a death curse. So perhaps 'evil' inhibits someone under the right circumstances (loss of a child) to go on a killing rampage. It might explain the superhuman strength Roy exhibited as well as his ability to withstand a tractor and a stab to the leg. The 'evil' then influenced Jarvis at the end... Or you just think it sucked and they were all crazy, that works too. Again, we fans think more about this than the creators did. But we should all consider ourselves lucky that they didn't carry on further installments with zombie Joey. The film could have ended with a couple on a boat about to eat a snickers and then a deceased Joey comes out of the water and grabs the bar. So 5 haters considers yourselves lucky. 

And one redeeming thing from part cinco: the song "His Eyes:"

Friday 1: Started it all, but (blasphemy) I was never impressed with the film and found The Burning and Madman to be superior films. But I didn't grow up that film or the second, they were released before I was born.

Fantasy:

Jason X

Friday 8

Decent Installments:

Part's 2 and 4... enjoyable but not very memorable to me. The final Chapter's unmasking scene at the end was terrifically done and part 2's unmasking was atmospheric. I have no complaints other than that they aren't my favorite sequels.

Terrific Additions:

Part 6 and 7... Sticks to the formula: resurrected early, goes around killing, put back 'in the lake' at the end. I would have to say that these were my favorites aside from 3 (and yes, I may be bias). I enjoyed the zombie Jason look and feel part 7 was the best look out of the entire series. But one thing it's shown is that Parts 6, 7 and 8 is that Jason likes to leave calling cards. He'll kill someone in a detached manner and seemingly walk away from the scene with the heavy labored breathing completely unfazed. Apparently he later takes the corpses and sticks them in trees so they call fall down later or takes decapitated heads and places them in cars. Unless its Pamela's zombie who does clean-up. 

Part 6: great song:

Finalist:

Part 3... has to be my favorite. Perhaps it was because it's the first film I was ever introduced to but I get there are plot holes. For Parts 2 and 3 to make sense: Jason had to have donned a green dress shirt with khakis and chased Higgins around until she blacked out. Then changed to coveralls, grew his hair out and went all in for part 2, then after being stabbed in part 2, bulked up at the gym and changed back into his dress clothes and got a close hair crop and shave. 

Also, Jason made disco great again:

The thing that redeemed Part 5 for me is when your avatar (Vic) snapped and murdered Joey. I wasn't sure if the actor meant to play him as a mentally challenged character or simply an annoying character, but everytime he was on screen and opened his mouth, my eye would twitch, I hated him so bad.

So when a random guy who isn't Jason fking buried an axe in his head because of how annoying he was?? I was THRILLED haha, spent the rest of the movie laughing

cinda and Zombie79 like this

The thing that redeemed Part 5 for me is when your avatar (Vic) snapped and murdered Joey. I wasn't sure if the actor meant to play him as a mentally challenged character or simply an annoying character, but everytime he was on screen and opened his mouth, my eye would twitch, I hated him so bad.

So when a random guy who isn't Jason fking buried an axe in his head because of how annoying he was?? I was THRILLED haha, spent the rest of the movie laughing

Part 5 is far superior to JGTH and the remake. And quite arguably Part 8 and Jason X.

Body Boy likes this

I pretty much enjoy all the Paramount films and find things enjoyable in all of them.

Once New Line got their hands on the series. They gradually become unwatchable. I've watched Jason X maybe once in my life.

Some might say well the New Line films at least tried to be different. While maybe so, that's no excuse to make such radically shit entries that fuck around with the series. Something like a opened Winter Crystal Lake, with a frozen lake, with ice skating or skiing would've been perfectly acceptable as something new. With snow, counselors having sex next to a fire place in a cabin and actual kids around like Parts 1 and 6. THAT would've been an entry that could be something different, while maintaining the core of the series. It might be a paint job,but its a good paint job. Awesome kills could be had.

Its the most obvious change of pace that they could do, but I guess they never felt it was different enough to generate box office interest.

Jason X and it's not even a contest. Jason in Space, who seriously thinks that was a good idea?

The thing about Jason X is the concept was stupid. But the kills where fun to watch and it had ACTUAL JASON in it... Kane Hodder at that!

So I would rank it LEAGUES above the movies that had non Jason killers in them.

Just my opinion tho.

DamonD7 likes this

But the kills where fun to watch

Besides the Liquid Nitrogen kill, the other ones were either off screen or kinda substandard.

Seriously, next time you watch Jason X, count how many kills take place off screen. It's astonishing.

Body Boy likes this

Jason X and it's not even a contest. Jason in Space, who seriously thinks that was a good idea?

To me, it's no different than him going to Manhattan. It's a comedic fantasy but to agree with you, one that should have been left in the realms of "what if" discussions between children debating it on the playground.

But compare that to JGTH, Jason X seems like a masterpiece. 

I can watch Part 5 as a comedy. Joey, Vic, the greasers, Ethel and Junior, Psycho Tommy, Reggie and his older brother (can't remember his name) are all over the top and funny in various ways. Definitely more entertaining than the kills.

I think Ethel and Junior make me laugh the most. Her line delivery kills me. I like to see people having fun with their roles. 

Junior: "Say it like you mean it Ma!!"
Ethel: (turns around with that disgusted look) "Would you shut - the - f**k - up?"

I can watch Part 5 as a comedy. Joey, Vic, the greasers, Ethel and Junior, Psycho Tommy, Reggie and his older brother (can't remember his name) are all over the top and funny in various ways. Definitely more entertaining than the kills.

I think Ethel and Junior make me laugh the most. Her line delivery kills me. I like to see people having fun with their roles. 

Junior: "Say it like you mean it Ma!!"
Ethel: (turns around with that disgusted look) "Would you shut - the - f**k - up?"

Ethel Hubbard: (to the chicken) - I'm gonna chop you into itty, bitty little pieces, my friend. Just like they done to that piggo over at that fu*king crazy farm. Eeeeyah! [Decapitates the chicken]
Junior: Eeeeyah! - (imitates Ethel using spoon) ...Ha-ha-ha-ha.
Ethel Hubbard: You big dildo. Eat your fu*king slop! Ain't I make the best goddamned stew in the whole wide world?
Junior: Best goddamned stew in the whole wide world, Mama.

+1.  Ethel had the best lines. 

Ethel Hubbard: (to the chicken) - I'm gonna chop you into itty, bitty little pieces, my friend. Just like they done to that piggo over at that fu*king crazy farm. Eeeeyah! [Decapitates the chicken]
Junior: Eeeeyah! - (imitates Ethel using spoon) ...Ha-ha-ha-ha.
Ethel Hubbard: You big dildo. Eat your fu*king slop! Ain't I make the best goddamned stew in the whole wide world?
Junior: Best goddamned stew in the whole wide world, Mama.

+1.  Ethel had the best lines. 

I actually took one of her lines when talking to my dog. When it's feeding time and he gets over-excited I call him a big dildo and tell him to eat his f**king slop lol. Since I've recently became a father and my son mimics everything I say now I've had to watch my mouth. 

cinda and SHODANFreeman like this

Jason Goes to Hell without a doubt. Not only did it completely ignore the great Paramount Eight franchise, it added some new ideas that were so terrible. Body jumping? Magic dagger? Fuck you, New Line.

Also, Jason was pretty mistreated in JGTH and FvJ. He wasnt too terrible in Jason X but he didn't compare to the character in the original (and good) eight films. Hodder is always great though but I prefer Brooker.

Freddy vs Jason butchered Jason as a character in so many ways. He doesn't look cool, he is portrayed as a "sympathetic" character, he is put to sleep by tranquilizers even though he is re-animated dead flesh.. Ken Kirzinger also didn't do a very good job and Kane should've done it. It's a shame that they let him go..

Derek Mears in the remake was pretty good. Intimidating as well as badass. Looked cool too. And he's definitely a fan. Win/Win.

Chazprime likes this

I think Jason has always been a sympathetic villain, but in FVJ they way overdid the sympathy aspect and tried to make him look like a good guy compared with Freddy. The thing with a sympathetic villain is they're still a villain and still someone to be feared. Say what you will about the reboot but I think there they did a much better job of making him tragic but still menacing and sinister.

Beetlejuice91 likes this