How Motion Capture Works for Locomotion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 114 posts

At the recent motion capture shoot we decided to recapture the female locomotion. This includes walk, jog, and sprint, as these are the speeds you can move in the game. The previous data we captured for the female was a bit off. We simply were not happy with how it looked. The new data is much cleaner and looks more fluid and natural. The gif below is a looped gif, so there's a brief hiccup in the locomotion. That was a symptom of the gif, not the raw data. It will be perfect in-game. 

The trickier parts for locomotion relates to starts/stops and blends. Let me explain. When you press forward on the thumbstick (on a controller) and the character was standing still, then should begin moving forward. If you barely press forward, they walk, if you push harder they jog. If you click in on the thumbstick, they sprint. But when we capture these movements they are independent. We ask the actor to walk and we capture that. Then we ask them to jog and we capture that. Lastly they run and we capture that. Then we cut the data down to just one cycle each. If it's a walk, one cycle would be each leg moving forward, and that's all we need. Same for jog and sprint. Once you have those cycles you have to then think about starts and stops. So with the same data, we pull the frames from when they first began the locomotion (walk, jog, and sprint) and we pull that frame. Same for when they stop. Next we pull the few frames that are just between the moments of starting and then top speed. Again we pull blends from all 3 cycles (walk, jog and sprint).

Attached File  female_run_cycle.gif   538.77KB   9 downloads

With that said what you end up with is three starts, three stops, three blends and three speed cycles. Each only a few frames each. This allows the player to move the thumbstick and see the character react appropriately on-screen. It's a very time consuming process and it takes a real artist to get it right. If your data is off by one frame, it throws the whole cycle off. You'll get unnatural movement. Next you have to think about timing the frames to match foot speed. If this is off, you get "foot sliding". This is an effect that looks like the character is skating. If the timing of the locomotion is slower than the foot speed (think of it like miles per hour), then you get foot sliding. Same issue if the locomotion is too fast. It's very delicate. Artists/engineers are working in centiseconds within a frame. 

So the next time you play a game and you notice your character walking, running, etc. Now you have a brief background on what it takes to make that look correct. 

-W

• BlackWidowofLaPorte, DamonD7, IronKnight55 and 4 others like this

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I love these posts. Thanks for sharing these little tidbits.
  • wes likes this

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 114 posts

At the recent motion capture shoot we decided to recapture the female locomotion. This includes walk, jog, and sprint, as these are the speeds you can move in the game. The previous data we captured for the female was a bit off. We simply were not happy with how it looked. The new data is much cleaner and looks more fluid and natural. The gif below is a looped gif, so there's a brief hiccup in the locomotion. That was a symptom of the gif, not the raw data. It will be perfect in-game. 

The trickier parts for locomotion relates to starts/stops and blends. Let me explain. When you press forward on the thumbstick (on a controller) and the character was standing still, then should begin moving forward. If you barely press forward, they walk, if you push harder they jog. If you click in on the thumbstick, they sprint. But when we capture these movements they are independent. We ask the actor to walk and we capture that. Then we ask them to jog and we capture that. Lastly they run and we capture that. Then we cut the data down to just one cycle each. If it's a walk, one cycle would be each leg moving forward, and that's all we need. Same for jog and sprint. Once you have those cycles you have to then think about starts and stops. So with the same data, we pull the frames from when they first began the locomotion (walk, jog, and sprint) and we pull that frame. Same for when they stop. Next we pull the few frames that are just between the moments of starting and then top speed. Again we pull blends from all 3 cycles (walk, jog and sprint).

attachicon.giffemale_run_cycle.gif

With that said what you end up with is three starts, three stops, three blends and three speed cycles. Each only a few frames each. This allows the player to move the thumbstick and see the character react appropriately on-screen. It's a very time consuming process and it takes a real artist to get it right. If your data is off by one frame, it throws the whole cycle off. You'll get unnatural movement. Next you have to think about timing the frames to match foot speed. If this is off, you get "foot sliding". This is an effect that looks like the character is skating. If the timing of the locomotion is slower than the foot speed (think of it like miles per hour), then you get foot sliding. Same issue if the locomotion is too fast. It's very delicate. Artists/engineers are working in centiseconds within a frame. 

So the next time you play a game and you notice your character walking, running, etc. Now you have a brief background on what it takes to make that look correct. 

-W

Some have reported that the gif I posted isn't working properly. Here's a direct link to view: http://imgur.com/RmCdjQT

• BlackWidowofLaPorte likes this

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Following this game has taught me so much about game development; I never thought about how much work people had to do to bring a game to life. I have a newfound respect for you guys and the whole game development industry. Thanks so much for all the hard work you guys do to make this game a reality for us. You guys are da real MVPs!

• thatdudescott and wes like this

Absoluttion

Absoluttion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Awesome posts, love the insight you're giving to people on game development. You guys seem to be taking it all very seriously and love telling people just how hard even the simplest things can be in game development. 

Again, thanks for being so in-depth with the intricacies, can't wait to see counselor gameplay!

• wes likes this

DEATH

DEATH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationEverywhere.
Like others I really love these posts and think they're good for those people that don't understand how development works and why things take so much time. Thanks to Wes and the rest of team. You're doing an amazing job.
  • wes likes this

IronKnight55

IronKnight55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationScotland

Great post Wes!

• wes likes this

derrickkolba

derrickkolba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Locationmichigan

what about boob tech to get the boobs right like doa?

• BlackWidowofLaPorte, wes and JasonVoorhees13 like this

PowellCampsNAKED

PowellCampsNAKED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI
Kind of like editing frames in Flash tweeting the animations to line up with the frames with multiple layers but way way more complex I bet

Now is that gif link you showed the new one or the last unsatisfied one?
Add me on PSN - Campfacer

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 114 posts

Kind of like editing frames in Flash tweeting the animations to line up with the frames with multiple layers but way way more complex I bet

Now is that gif link you showed the new one or the last unsatisfied one?

That gif I posted is the corrected sprint locomotion. :)

PowellCampsNAKED

PowellCampsNAKED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI

That gif I posted is the corrected sprint locomotion. :)

Nice! Also good you were able to do it while doing single player mo cap! My brother worked at that studio years ago he designed the clothing skins for hot shots 2 golf
Add me on PSN - Campfacer

JasonVoorhees13

JasonVoorhees13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Locationpanama city beach, florida

you guys are missing the real life bounce of a woman. other then that looks great

• derrickkolba likes this

Signature too large, please check rules for correct sizing. 

-management. 

derrickkolba

derrickkolba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Locationmichigan

you guys are missing the real life bounce of a woman. other then that looks great

kind of what i was getting at. mocap will never get that i as far as i know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users