wes

Will We See Freddy, or Perhaps Characters From the F13 Films?

72 posts in this topic

I don't think it'll happen and I don't want to see Freddy Michael or any of the other ones in Friday the 13th..

This is Jason's game!!!

I WOULD HOWEVER.......

... like to see another character from the series make an appearance.

Just like tommy comes in midway through the last reel in an attempt to save the day.....

Tina Shepard would be the ultimate foe of the crystal lake killer.

With activated abilities like Jason's sense, stalk, and rage... Tina could dish out some real savioresque actions against Jason to slow him down with one-off abilities while the others try to escape...

Come on guys, this would be awesome

Culp likes this

Rcsinger

I can see why you don't want to see Freddy or Michael etc.. in this game, it makes sense and i'm with you but i think small easter eggs about them what maybe just true horror fans will understand would be a cool thing to do from the devs.

There are a few references to the evil dead in the game.

Jenny Myers

- clear reference to Michael.

And I'm sure there will be a few more of those; im good with that. But I don't want to see Michael Myers traipsing around crystal lake and it'd suck for all the counsellors to have to lay in beds throughout the camp asleep until Freddy picked one of them to attack in their dreams... ????

I'm good with horror references in the game and like I said, there are some already. But they shouldn't be playable imo.

Give us Tina Shepard..

????

Splatterhouse and Culp like this

On November 7, 2016 at 10:07 PM, wes said:

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

Certainly understand keeping it all things Friday the 13th as far as characters. Hopefully Michael, Laurie and Dr. Loomis get the same love with the exact same formula from you guys, it works. As far as in movie characters go, couldn't you simply hire a voice actor to sound like certain characters did at the time they were younger. If so, would that cover the likeness issue? Granted you said that may be a cheesy way to cover people like Shelley or Chrissy, but to me the essence of 80s horror is just that (and that's in a good way)

23 minutes ago, tjohnnyblue said:

Certainly understand keeping it all things Friday the 13th as far as characters. Hopefully Michael, Laurie and Dr. Loomis get the same love with the exact same formula from you guys, it works. As far as in movie characters go, couldn't you simply hire a voice actor to sound like certain characters did at the time they were younger. If so, would that cover the likeness issue? Granted you said that may be a cheesy way to cover people like Shelley or Chrissy, but to me the essence of 80s horror is just that (and that's in a good way)

I can say after playing a couple games with him, Larry Zerner(Shelley) still sounds about the same. And you wouldn't want to try to muck with the likeness for him, he's a big time copywright lawyer lol.

tjohnnyblue likes this

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, wes said:

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

-W

Oh, interesting. So when you say you didn't get the rights to include characters, does that simply mean you didn't get the rights to use their likeness, but could use the characters if you separately secured the rights to likeness? Or did you have to renegotiate for both the Tommy Jarvis character, and Thom Mathews' likeness in two separate agreements?

Interesting side note: Issues like these are further proof as to why George Lucas is the undisputed brand genius who not only changed the landscape of cinema, but also the licensed brand product world.  

1 hour ago, Dogmatic said:

I can say after playing a couple games with him, Larry Zerner(Shelley) still sounds about the same. And you wouldn't want to try to muck with the likeness for him, he's a big time copywright lawyer lol.

Wasn't trying to suggest that he shouldn't be compensated in some way, just perhaps a solution for the voice variation between then and now. If he sounds the same now even better, hope he has a free day to do it. Loved that character and a new practical joker perk would be great.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:59 PM, DangerWildman said:

IS GUN MEDIA CONFIRMING NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: THE GAME?! :o

PRE-ORDER NOW!

Shut up and take my $$&

I feel like they dont have to add him fully but it would be cool if we could get a Jason goes to hell death at some point with Freddy B)

my cousin is a really big fan of nightmare and he would flip out if they did something with him lol.

On 18/04/2017 at 3:15 PM, Rcsinger said:

There are a few references to the evil dead in the game.

Jenny Myers

- clear reference to Michael.

???

Evil Dead = Michael Myers?

Also you do realise it might also be due to the voice actor for Jenny having a role in the Halloween remake? Not everything is a direct easter egg or a reference. 

11 hours ago, Crowcoll said:

it would be cool if we could get a Jason goes to hell death at some point with Freddy 

Maybe if you kill part 9, there's a chance or perhaps every time, you get to see that type of ending for your game.

At this point, I'd much rather see Gun Media make a Halloween or NOES game than try to shoehorn anything from other franchises in this game. A lot of people don't seem to get that this is Friday the 13th. I still see a lot of suggestions from Twitter to YouTube and beyond with people saying they want Freddy in the game, or Michael, or even Victor Crowley. Like why? How would that add to the experience? It'd be much better if those guys just had their own game instead.

19 hours ago, JTDestroyer5900 said:

Welp, there goes my hopes of a Jason X version of Jason to play as...

Why wouldn't we get Jason X when they're clearly planning on implementing a Grendel spaceship map? Some people really don't pay close enough attention.

2 hours ago, Emperiex said:

Why wouldn't we get Jason X when they're clearly planning on implementing a Grendel spaceship map? Some people really don't pay close enough attention.

If you're referring to the stretch goals, it also had Pamela as a playable killer, but now they've said that will never happen, so..... Also, it was a stretch goal. Might not be worth the effort now post launch.

Yes, but adding Pamela would require tweaking the game so that she would fit in adequately and play as she should. Those same issues would not be required for implementing Jason X/Uber Jason or any other missing Jason's. They've said numerous times this is meant to be the end all, be all of F13th games.

5 minutes ago, Emperiex said:

Yes, but adding Pamela would require tweaking the game so that she would fit in adequately and play as she should. Those same issues would not be required for implementing Jason X/Uber Jason or any other missing Jason's. They've said numerous times this is meant to be the end all, be all of F13th games.

One can hope. But they had that at over 5 million on their stretch goal, which was waaaayyyyyy higher than where they landed. Let's hope their sales and active users don't decline. If sales keep ticking up and active users indicate a good forecast for a DLC, then I think there's a good chance we'll get him, for sure.

But if the opposite is true......

Absolutely. I'm hopeful that the amount of players will continue to increase and sales will be respectable enough that we can get all of that content. I'm confident we'll get there eventually. Would be a shame not to.

On June 22, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Dogmatic said:

I wish, that would be awesome. :)

Not sure if this has been posted around here, but I searched and did not find anything. Apparently they want to add Fox from Part 3 into the game.

I know!

Nerdy paintball guy and the gravedigger from Part VI and since we need more vehicles....why not add Christine the '58 Fury. That would make for interesting experiences since we all know how much she loved people smashing her and Jason loves to smash those tiny little crackerboxes