wes

Will We See Freddy, or Perhaps Characters From the F13 Films?

80 posts in this topic

nightmare on elm street and texas chainsaw massacre deserved their own game not just a character in someone elses world. also tcm and nmoes need to be open world games as freddy you have both real world and dream world. it would cost probably 10x as much as f13. tmc has great story lines. so i feel it deserves a open world like gta because of all the other characters involved. im impressed with what the guys at gun have done with f13 but jason and micheal are just basic slashers and can be more basic games with no real story line. dont get me wrong jason is my fav horror character. but I feel something like leather face needs to be done with a company like rockstar. we dont really need a mixed fighting game there has already been a few put out their for us.

nightmare on elm street and texas chainsaw massacre deserved their own game not just a character in someone elses world. also tcm and nmoes need to be open world games as freddy you have both real world and dream world. it would cost probably 10x as much as f13. tmc has great story lines. so i feel it deserves a open world like gta because of all the other characters involved. im impressed with what the guys at gun have done with f13 but jason and micheal are just basic slashers and can be more basic games with no real story line. dont get me wrong jason is my fav horror character. but I feel something like leather face needs to be done with a company like rockstar. we dont really need a mixed fighting game there has already been a few put out their for us.

Would an open world game like GTA really lend itself to a horror game? I feel like either as Leatherface or as his victime, driving around Texas completing side quests would feel extremely silly xd

Wes, you forgot to mention things that people do will affect voice: Smoking, singing certain ways, harsh liquors, & others.

Yeah this is a Friday the 13th game. Almost all of them have same premise: YAs at a camp ground either setting it up or camping & Jason, not liking invasion of his turf, begins to pick them off 1 by 1. Only way make it more realistic would be to somehow  have the YAs not know Jason is stalking them til they find the 1st body & it go from there. But that's not possible to do sadly. 

1 person likes this

This won't happen. As pointed out by others, it doesn't fit the F13 universe. Plus we "tuned" the Jason's to kill counselors, not other Jasons. We would have to rebalance and rethink some abilities to make this even feasible. Sorry if I rained on your parade. But every little nuance, ability, player speed, Jason "cooldowns", the space between cabins (interior vs exterior), item locations, spawn locations, everything...they all affect each other. It's similar to dominoes (the game not the pizza). When you start messing with one, it throws off the whole thing. Game design is an on-going practice of causation. We are always thinking several steps ahead. ;)

-W

That, and Ronnie would have an aneurysm.

1 person likes this

Awesome post Wes and thanks for posting it. It really does clear up a lot of questions about what is and isn't within the scope of your license. Keep it up. I enjoy reading about the development of the game and why you maybe can or can't do something. I think it helps to keep us all involved and in the know. Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

@thearrogantman. He will forever and always be star trek Jason. If I choose to refer to him that way, i shall do so. Your the only one who seems to hunt me down about it. Dude, stop being so butthurt about it and get off my nuts.

@thearrogantman. He will forever and always be star trek Jason. If I choose to refer to him that way, i shall do so. Your the only one who seems to hunt me down about it. Dude, stop being so butthurt about it and get off my nuts.

Hey man, there's no hunting at all. You just say it everywhere.

Thanks for these weekly posts answering the more 'interesting' questions fans have about this game. It's good to see you on the forums here and interacting 'screen-to-screen' with the people who just want to know the 'whys' of the game. 

Very excited for the beta 'soon' and hope to be able to play a match with you someday!

P.S. Splash screen for the beta looks mighty fine

1 person likes this

"...But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason..."

455eb16e93d685b1a529b1eee949d8a90c09fede

well, im happy with all the classics jasons but... I will miss the new ones. They also deserve to come out in this game, hopefully in the future :)

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

And what about the likeness of specific 'items',where is the line between what is permitted and what isnt.

For exemple,an item related to a character from the F13 films or another horror series,i know that some of the counselors have clothes similar to some of the characters in the F13 series,but what about something like Freddy's glove or sweater ?

While the chance of having another horror icon is pretty slim,would an item from one of them can still be used ? (As an easter egg hidden in the maps of course)

Edit: i dont think something like a red/black stripped sweater would cause copyright problem isnt ?

Man could we keep all that other shit out of Jason's game?! .... And...red and black sweater? Dude...really? Did you just say that.

1 person likes this

#ShellyHype     ..  ;)

Totally not going to lie, I wish Shelly was in game just to off him.

He's worse than Shinji Ikari on the whine-o-meter.

1 person likes this

It would just ruin the experience.

Not at all.

This won't happen. As pointed out by others, it doesn't fit the F13 universe. Plus we "tuned" the Jason's to kill counselors, not other Jasons. We would have to rebalance and rethink some abilities to make this even feasible. Sorry if I rained on your parade. But every little nuance, ability, player speed, Jason "cooldowns", the space between cabins (interior vs exterior), item locations, spawn locations, everything...they all affect each other. It's similar to dominoes (the game not the pizza). When you start messing with one, it throws off the whole thing. Game design is an on-going practice of causation. We are always thinking several steps ahead. ;)

-W

Thanks for the reply. It's good to have a firm answer.

YES, at all. But at this point, I'm glad the official answer is no.

Lol, I know it's never gonna happen now. But if it did, seriously, it doesn't hurt anything. It's no different than when you play CoD and never play certain game modes, in the sense that they're there for those who want it but can be ignored by those who don't. It doesn't affect the overall game.  

Kind of a late post but whatever. Other horror icons not appearing in this game is a normal thing but can we get at least easter eggs from them? Like: Freddy's glove, Leatherface's chainsaw, a doll what looks similar to chucky, a doll what have pins in it's head etc.. Maybe collect them as collectables. Kind of a minor wasted opportunity.

Hi guys,

I'm following this thread because as soon as I heard about this game one of the things I was hoping for was to be able to play the final Friday girls.  I am absolutely in love with Chris Higgins.  The idea of being able to play her and square off against Jason would be so cool.

I understand the dev's reasons for not being rally able to do this.  But about the voice thing:  Couldn't they use recording studio tech to get the voice closer to young sounding?

Example:  Dana Kimmell agrees to let them use her likeness.  They give her a script to record, then when it's done run it through filters to make her voice sound younger?  I'm no technology expert, but I imagine something like this could be done.

Oh well I can always dream, right?

Hi guys,

I'm following this thread because as soon as I heard about this game one of the things I was hoping for was to be able to play the final Friday girls.  I am absolutely in love with Chris Higgins.  The idea of being able to play her and square off against Jason would be so cool.

I understand the dev's reasons for not being rally able to do this.  But about the voice thing:  Couldn't they use recording studio tech to get the voice closer to young sounding?

Example:  Dana Kimmell agrees to let them use her likeness.  They give her a script to record, then when it's done run it through filters to make her voice sound younger?  I'm no technology expert, but I imagine something like this could be done.

Oh well I can always dream, right?

Unfortunately that would cost more money than it's worth right now.

ron1500, on 09 Apr 2017 - 04:00 AM, said: Kind of a late post but whatever. Other horror icons not appearing in this game is a normal thing but can we get at least easter eggs from them? Like: Freddy's glove, Leatherface's chainsaw, a doll what looks similar to chucky, a doll what have pins in it's head etc.. Maybe collect them as collectables. Kind of a minor wasted opportunity.

If Gun media were to put in any references to other horror movies, they would have to be subtle to avoid copyright. For example in the game Splatterhouse, in one place you see Ash Williams from Evil Dead lying dead on the ground. How do you know it's Ash Williams? In one hand is a shotgun, the other hand is gone. Normally Ash would have a chainsaw attached to the handless arm, but if he did, say hello to a copyright lawsuit. So in a way they were able to have Ash in the game without having to get the license, since it could just be any random guy with a shotgun and missing hand.

If Gun media were to put in any references to other horror movies, they would have to be subtle to avoid copyright. For example in the game Splatterhouse, in one place you see Ash Williams from Evil Dead lying dead on the ground. How do you know it's Ash Williams? In one hand is a shotgun, the other hand is gone. Normally Ash would have a chainsaw attached to the handless arm, but if he did, say hello to a copyright lawsuit. So in a way they were able to have Ash in the game without having to get the license, since it could just be any random guy with a shotgun and missing hand.

Exactly the game doesn't need others like Freddy or Michael appear in it. Small subtle easter eggs about them is good enough. Subtle enough to bypass the copyright issues. Jason already had a fight with Freddy,Leatherface and Ash so easter eggs about those 3 should be really welcomed. Well these are just fun "gifts" given to the pleayers but sadly i doubt something like this will happen since the devs probably thinking it's too much hassle (no offense guys).

I kind of doubt they'd use other characters from other franchises because of copyright and IP. Is Jason and Friday the 13th still part of New Line Cinema? I thought Paramount had film rights now. Didn't the game creators mention they couldn't use the Jason from Freddy vs Jason due to licensing issues?

ron1500, small Easter eggs would be fine.

Maybe there could be some DLC that is a Freddy vs Jason map where you fight Freddy in the dream and real world and hack up some ravers.