wes

Will We See Freddy, or Perhaps Characters From the F13 Films?

72 posts in this topic

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

Twil, Jealousy, TWarner and 16 others like this

Great post wes.

I personally feel that adding in any other killers would be a distraction and feel like a gimmick. So Ive never been one of the voices clamoring for it.

And I think that we should all be happy we got Kane doing mocap for Jason. I actually really like having the archetypes rather than certain characters. I mean.....if Chris Higgins was added as a character then first of all every player would try to kill Jason with her......and second itd feel weird when Jason got HER. So I am in full support of our merry little band of stereotypical but kinda non-specific Jason bait.

Im actually a little concerned about having Tommy in the game for this very reason. I really like the idea of a new cast of characters whose fates have not already been determined in a film.

wes, Jealousy, DamonD7 and 4 others like this

Great post wes.

I personally feel that adding in any other killers would be a distraction and feel like a gimmick. So Ive never been one of the voices clamoring for it.

And I think that we should all be happy we got Kane doing mocap for Jason. I actually really like having the archetypes rather than certain characters. I mean.....if Chris Higgins was added as a character then first of all every player would try to kill Jason with her......and second itd feel weird when Jason got HER. So I am in full support of our merry little band of stereotypical but kinda non-specific Jason bait.

Im actually a little concerned about having Tommy in the game for this very reason. I really like the idea of a new cast of characters whose fates have not already been determined in a film.

I literally could not agree more. Every word in this post perfectly aligns with my own opinion! It's uncanny.

#ShellyHype     ..  ;)

But in all seriousness, I couldn't agree more with this post.  Everything you do to a game, takes TONS of consideration.

I'm glad that you guys have the 'go authentic, or go home' mentality.  I trust that this game is going to be awesome because of this meticulousness.

Speaking on those fine details,

I really can't wait to hear how you guys are using the music during gameplay, and see how dynamicly it will work with the 'situation critical moments' and 'moments of calm'.

The Arrogant Man likes this

In terms of voices, I personally wouldn't care if you got a different voice actor to do the voice as long as the likeness is spot on. Because, like was mentioned, we don't want a 50 year old voice for a 20 year old character. 

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

How about giving us a Jason vs Jason mode? All players play as a different version of Jason against one another to the last man standing.

How about giving us a Jason vs Jason mode? All players play as a different version of Jason against one another to the last man standing.

I just think the vast majority of people don't want that...

I just think the vast majority of people don't want that...

I figured I might as well directly ask him.  ^_^

As for that mode, I still gotta say, if it's there as a separate mode, those who don't want it can just ignore it. 

I figured I might as well directly ask him.  ^_^

As for that mode, I still gotta say, if it's there as a separate mode, those who don't want it can just ignore it. 

Unfortunately, developers don't spend time and money on stuff that niche. Not to mention, a mode like that could have negative effects on the game's image.

just so long as thy dont hire gilbert godfry to do the voice of the counslers or betty white we should be fine with the general sterotypes for counslers lol

Oh just give up on that. It's not gonna happen.

Unfortunately, developers don't spend time and money on stuff that niche. Not to mention, a mode like that could have negative effects on the game's image.

^^^This. Exactly. We're supposed to be getting Friday the 13th The Game, not WWE F13 Edition.

Oh just give up on that. It's not gonna happen.

^^^This. Exactly. We're supposed to be getting Friday the 13th The Game, not WWE F13 Edition.

Eh. WWE....F13..... It's all fiction, so what's the difference? But I know it's not likely primarily because it could alter the game's engine, or require a bunch of time and money that they don't want to spend in that area, so I understand logistically why it's not likely. But still....it'll always be something I wish for.

Eh. WWE....F13..... It's all fiction, so what's the difference? But I know it's not likely primarily because it could alter the game's engine, or require a bunch of time and money that they don't want to spend in that area, so I understand logistically why it's not likely. But still....it'll always be something I wish for.

Aside from the obvious time and money issues, the devs aren't going to add it because it's not part of the game they're trying to market. Like we've all said before, they're going for the authentic Friday the 13th experience that we saw in the movies, and the Jason v Jason mode just doesn't fit the bill. It would just ruin the experience.

wes and The Arrogant Man like this

If it is not impossible ( but its hard)  I would give anything (ok I do not have so much) to see Leather Face character and map  made by your awesome team.

PD: I know i know, im dreaming ^^

wes likes this

This won't happen. As pointed out by others, it doesn't fit the F13 universe. Plus we "tuned" the Jason's to kill counselors, not other Jasons. We would have to rebalance and rethink some abilities to make this even feasible. Sorry if I rained on your parade. But every little nuance, ability, player speed, Jason "cooldowns", the space between cabins (interior vs exterior), item locations, spawn locations, everything...they all affect each other. It's similar to dominoes (the game not the pizza). When you start messing with one, it throws off the whole thing. Game design is an on-going practice of causation. We are always thinking several steps ahead. ;)

-W

This won't happen. As pointed out by others, it doesn't fit the F13 universe. Plus we "tuned" the Jason's to kill counselors, not other Jasons. We would have to rebalance and rethink some abilities to make this even feasible. Sorry if I rained on your parade. But every little nuance, ability, player speed, Jason "cooldowns", the space between cabins (interior vs exterior), item locations, spawn locations, everything...they all affect each other. It's similar to dominoes (the game not the pizza). When you start messing with one, it throws off the whole thing. Game design is an on-going practice of causation. We are always thinking several steps ahead. ;)

-W

Well....

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fridaythe13th/images/4/4d/VsX.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100425185211

;)

wes likes this

I definitely wouldn't expect anything crazy like Freddy or Leatherface, as cool as that would be.  It just doesn't seem feasible, not to mention the fact that this is our first Friday the 13th game in forever so I think it's fair that they focus all their efforts on Jason and all his variations to make him as close to perfect as possible.  If there is any other killer besides Jason it should be his mother since she is also from the mainline movies.

As far as other movie characters are concerned, I would definitely love to see that happen, but I understand the difficulties.  Maybe when you guys are looking to develop new counselors for the future you can reach out to certain actors/actresses to see what they would want.  Not sure how that stuff works, personally, but I can't see them asking for that much, lol.  Probably naive of me, I know, but some of them might be cool with the idea of lending their likeness to the game.  For voice acting, I would say that if they can't or won't do it, then I am sure most people would be perfectly fine with some of these skilled voice actors and actresses taking on the role and doing their best job to sound like the characters from the film.

But yeah, for the most part I am expecting most future counselors to be original characters.  Still, it would be cool to have a movie character here or there if the actor or actress isn't asking for a ransom.  Anyway, thanks for the post.  Take care.

Probably "Friday the 13th: the game" is going to be one of the games of the year, I think it's going to have a lot of sales. When they see this, I want to believe that others will be interested in creating similar games with Freddy, Leatherface, or Freddy vs. Jason. I want to believe that it is a matter of time and patience.

Honkytonkgamer likes this