Photo

Will We See Freddy, or Perhaps Characters From the F13 Films?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 114 posts

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

• JPops, JBSLICK33, BlackWidowofLaPorte and 11 others like this

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Great post wes.

I personally feel that adding in any other killers would be a distraction and feel like a gimmick. So Ive never been one of the voices clamoring for it.

And I think that we should all be happy we got Kane doing mocap for Jason. I actually really like having the archetypes rather than certain characters. I mean.....if Chris Higgins was added as a character then first of all every player would try to kill Jason with her......and second itd feel weird when Jason got HER. So I am in full support of our merry little band of stereotypical but kinda non-specific Jason bait.

Im actually a little concerned about having Tommy in the game for this very reason. I really like the idea of a new cast of characters whose fates have not already been determined in a film.
  • DamonD7, wes, Body Boy and 4 others like this

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Would Family Guy Jason be available by launch?

• Davidt, wes, Thebest41 and 1 other like this

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

TheFinalGay

TheFinalGay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Archetypes all the way! :D Besides the homages to certain well known characters, for example what you did with the Girl next door, the Flirty girl or the Jock is already great!

• BlackWidowofLaPorte, wes and Jealousy like this

JBSLICK33

JBSLICK33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
Thanks for the awesome explanation! I just have one question...

Will Freddy be in the game?
;) lol
  • wes and Freddy kruger like this
PS4: JBSLICK33

DangerWildman

DangerWildman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

IS GUN MEDIA CONFIRMING NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: THE GAME?! :o

PRE-ORDER NOW!

• wes, AZATIONIE and Freddy kruger like this

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Great post wes.

I personally feel that adding in any other killers would be a distraction and feel like a gimmick. So Ive never been one of the voices clamoring for it.

And I think that we should all be happy we got Kane doing mocap for Jason. I actually really like having the archetypes rather than certain characters. I mean.....if Chris Higgins was added as a character then first of all every player would try to kill Jason with her......and second itd feel weird when Jason got HER. So I am in full support of our merry little band of stereotypical but kinda non-specific Jason bait.

Im actually a little concerned about having Tommy in the game for this very reason. I really like the idea of a new cast of characters whose fates have not already been determined in a film.

I literally could not agree more. Every word in this post perfectly aligns with my own opinion! It's uncanny.

Men called him Thu, and as a god*

in after days beneath his rod

bewildered bowed to him, and made

his ghastly temples in the shade.

Not yet by Men enthralled adored,

now was he Morgoth's mightiest lord,

Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl

for ever echoed in the hills, and foul

enchantments and dark sigaldry

did weave and wield. In glamoury

that necromancer held his hosts

of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,

of misbegotten or spell-wronged

monsters that about him thronged,

working his bidding dark and vile:

the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle.

Laphin

Laphin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

#ShellyHype     ..  ;)

But in all seriousness, I couldn't agree more with this post.  Everything you do to a game, takes TONS of consideration.

I'm glad that you guys have the 'go authentic, or go home' mentality.  I trust that this game is going to be awesome because of this meticulousness.

Speaking on those fine details,

I really can't wait to hear how you guys are using the music during gameplay, and see how dynamicly it will work with the 'situation critical moments' and 'moments of calm'.

• The Arrogant Man likes this

Jonathan Jones | Professional Voice Talent | Voice Actor

Visit His Website  | Youtube | Let's Play Live!

"Acting is Believing" / "Stay Cool.  Stay Creative"

The80s

The80s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

In terms of voices, I personally wouldn't care if you got a different voice actor to do the voice as long as the likeness is spot on. Because, like was mentioned, we don't want a 50 year old voice for a 20 year old character. 

Forum Signature violation

The80s

The80s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

First let’s talk Freddy, Leatherface, etc. These icons of slasher films are IP, or “Intellectual Property”. The easiest way to define this is to just think about them as “brands”. Like Coca Cola and Pepsi for example. The name and likeness of other film icons, like Freddy, are owned by companies. Why do you think it took so long for us to get a FvJ film?

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen Coke and Pepsi packaged together? Nope. Never. Wait, I know what you’re thinking...what about Mortal Kombat? They had Jason, Leatherface, etc, all in one game. Yes, that’s true. But it’s an MK game, not a Texas Chainsaw game featuring Jason. So MK becomes neutral ground in that case. It’s just licensed characters, which still has some legal red tape, but easier by comparison.

Now that you’ve had a very brief crash course in IP, I’m thinking I know your next question. “OK, Fine. I get it. But what about the characters from the F13 films! Will we see characters like Reggie, Shelly, Chrissy, etc, in the game? You guys already announced Tommy Jarvis, maybe there will be more? Yes?”

This one is more of a “maybe”. Let me explain. When we got the license to work with F13, the only thing that came with it was the ability to use Jason’s name and likeness. But even then we couldn’t touch JvF or reboot Jason. They simply were not included. Also not included were the characters from the film. Now, could we just make up a generic female character and call her “Chrissy”? Sure. But that feels kinda phony don’t you think? Shouldn’t it look just like her? We think it should. Which then leads to another authenticity question...Shouldn’t she sound like Chrissy too!? Yes, she should. That’s a problem.

First we would need to find the actor/actresses that were in the films. Some have passed away, so securing their likeness would be very difficult. Some however, are very much alive and still very much involved with horror cons. So first we would need to pay them for their likeness. This gives us the legal ability to replicate how they look in-game. The actor/actress would go through our iterations and requests changes here and there to make sure they look as close to real life as possible. This takes time. Months usually. Next comes their voice.

As people age, so do their voice boxes. Meaning regardless if you are male or female, your voice gets a little deeper as you get older. Vocal cords stretch and you sound deeper and a little raspier. So a 50 year old version of you, doesn’t sound like the 20 year old version did. Think about that. Most of the actors/actresses from the films were around 20 when they filmed. Which means most of them are in their 50’s by now. So putting them in the recording studio doesn’t always get you the result you’re after. Imagine your dad, trying to sound 20. Yeah.

So in theory, it sounds awesome to put Freddy in the game, or try to get your favorite character from the films into the game. But there’s so much more to it than just having the idea. It’s not impossible, it’s just a major time-sync that more often than not, doesn’t pay off in the end. You either get something that feels shoe-horned into the game, or just leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

-W

How about giving us a Jason vs Jason mode? All players play as a different version of Jason against one another to the last man standing.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

How about giving us a Jason vs Jason mode? All players play as a different version of Jason against one another to the last man standing.

I just think the vast majority of people don't want that...

The80s

The80s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I just think the vast majority of people don't want that...

I figured I might as well directly ask him.  ^_^

As for that mode, I still gotta say, if it's there as a separate mode, those who don't want it can just ignore it. 

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I figured I might as well directly ask him.  ^_^

As for that mode, I still gotta say, if it's there as a separate mode, those who don't want it can just ignore it. 

Unfortunately, developers don't spend time and money on stuff that niche. Not to mention, a mode like that could have negative effects on the game's image.

greywolf1319

greywolf1319

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Locationsan diego

just so long as thy dont hire gilbert godfry to do the voice of the counslers or betty white we should be fine with the general sterotypes for counslers lol

There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but NOT dead. A curse on Crystal Lake, a death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse. They say he died as a boy, but he keeps coming back. Few have seen him. Some have even tried to stop him. NO ONE can.

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Oh just give up on that. It's not gonna happen.

Unfortunately, developers don't spend time and money on stuff that niche. Not to mention, a mode like that could have negative effects on the game's image.

^^^This. Exactly. We're supposed to be getting Friday the 13th The Game, not WWE F13 Edition.

The80s

The80s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Oh just give up on that. It's not gonna happen.

^^^This. Exactly. We're supposed to be getting Friday the 13th The Game, not WWE F13 Edition.

Eh. WWE....F13..... It's all fiction, so what's the difference? But I know it's not likely primarily because it could alter the game's engine, or require a bunch of time and money that they don't want to spend in that area, so I understand logistically why it's not likely. But still....it'll always be something I wish for.

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Eh. WWE....F13..... It's all fiction, so what's the difference? But I know it's not likely primarily because it could alter the game's engine, or require a bunch of time and money that they don't want to spend in that area, so I understand logistically why it's not likely. But still....it'll always be something I wish for.

Aside from the obvious time and money issues, the devs aren't going to add it because it's not part of the game they're trying to market. Like we've all said before, they're going for the authentic Friday the 13th experience that we saw in the movies, and the Jason v Jason mode just doesn't fit the bill. It would just ruin the experience.

• wes and The Arrogant Man like this

Juez

Juez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSpain

If it is not impossible ( but its hard)  I would give anything (ok I do not have so much) to see Leather Face character and map  made by your awesome team.

PD: I know i know, im dreaming ^^

• wes likes this

I so sorry for my English !

IkJcsRh.gif

CrazyRalph

CrazyRalph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
I want Scooby Doo, He-Man, and maybe 1 female ghostbuster. Oh and definitely a star trek Jason.
  • BlackWidowofLaPorte and TheFinalGay like this

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 114 posts

This won't happen. As pointed out by others, it doesn't fit the F13 universe. Plus we "tuned" the Jason's to kill counselors, not other Jasons. We would have to rebalance and rethink some abilities to make this even feasible. Sorry if I rained on your parade. But every little nuance, ability, player speed, Jason "cooldowns", the space between cabins (interior vs exterior), item locations, spawn locations, everything...they all affect each other. It's similar to dominoes (the game not the pizza). When you start messing with one, it throws off the whole thing. Game design is an on-going practice of causation. We are always thinking several steps ahead. ;)

-W

• GameboySM, BlackWidowofLaPorte, TheFinalGay and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users