wes

How to stop "looping" or troll behavior against Jason.

99 posts in this topic

My thoughts:

1: stop "fence looping, aka ring around the rosie chases" around cars and fences. Add where jason can smash through or climb over fences and climb over guard rails.

2: add where Jason can climb into broken/non broken windows to go after counselors like in Part 3

3: Grab/kill people through windows

226924_full.jpg

AbsoluteDeicide likes this

What about counselors who run around and around a car? Jason couldn't catch them in a game of tag tonight.

They've mentioned in a few other posts that they have some plans to take care of this.  Not entirely sure what they are though.  I like the idea of making counselors fall more if they are exposed to being around Jason for too long, since that would be a mechanic in nature and keep other cheese from happening if they just tried to implement controls around problem areas.  

Guess we'll see soon enough, but glad they are aware of the issue and working on fixing it.

SHODANFreeman likes this

Fences

1. Counselors should be able to hop over fences.

2. However Jason should be able to destroy fences with weapon swings.

Windows

1Jason can already kill a counselor if they're slow climbing out of a window.

2. Jason should NOT be able to grab a counselor while they're climbing out of a window lol.

Awesome. This really bothered me about a certain other murderer game, glad you're making solutions

I'm guessing you're speaking of Dead by Daylight? If so, yes, the way the players can constantly loop, evade and circle around, and around, and around is tiresome in that game. It makes me feel sick playing it once that begins to happen.  :unsure:

I'm guessing you're speaking of Dead by Daylight? If so, yes, the way the players can constantly loop, evade and circle around, and around, and around is tiresome in that game. It makes me feel sick playing it once that begins to happen.  :unsure:

Your signature is what needs to be implemented into game.

GinnyvsJason likes this

Please dont forget, not only did Jason climb through windows in part 3, but he jumped AND smashed through the window and glass in part 7 to get Tina, so its not unheard of that he will do that...

Brilliant solution.

Looking forward to seeing other ways this game can grow and evolve with the help of these little, but gamechanging details. Thanks. 

On the subject of looping, I'm sure more issues will turn up once the game launches (they always do), but there were several issues during the beta I noticed that could be potential loop problems. I've seen Jason chasing a person around a car, unable to catch them, a table, a fence (I think they've teased this one being fixed), a couch, and other various objects. This was more obvious with the Jason types that couldn't run as it let the player keep pace ahead of them and avoid being caught, even with the abilities as a lot of them were just long enough to allow the person running away to turn a corner in time to render them useless. So I expect we'll see more and hear more about some other issues once it launches. 

I know Gun Media is on a budget, but it would be nice to get one more beta in to pound out some of those issues before release, particularly in the new maps.

^they know those things are an issue they are more than likely tweaking/fixing those problems. With the addition of throwable weapons it slims down the chance of this behavior as well.

We have more features we need to add into the game that did not make it into the beta. We also recognize that the car looping and fence looping occurred a bit. 

We have solutions in discussion :D

My only real concern besides this is making the non-running Jason's more playable. In the beta, part 7 Jason's fastest speed was still slower than the counselor's light jogging. I saw people go the entire 20 minute limit just by out-jogging him. They didn't even have to loop around things.

^they know those things are an issue they are more than likely tweaking/fixing those problems. With the addition of throwable weapons it slims down the chance of this behavior as well.

Oh I'm sure they'll have fixes for some of it, but you should never underestimate some players' ability to find a glitch or flummoxed mechanic and twist it to their advantage. I couldn't begin to count the number of online games that I have seen that happen with. And with 2 whole other maps we haven't even seen yet, I can just about guarantee some stuff will get missed even if they have some spot on testers.

CrazyRalph likes this

In an effort to negate players ability to troll Jason via windows, we've implemented a new mechanic into the game. We noticed in playtests that we could be inside a cabin, and when Jason enters, just hop out a window. As Jason comes around the cabin to face the counselor, they could simply jump back in. Now Jason has to go back to the door, and guess what would happen? Yep, the counselor would just jump back out again. This is frustrating. Sure, it's a great approach if you're a counselor, but that leads to an unbalanced experience. Our solution? Let Jason break windows.

attachicon.gifCwcw_xAWIAE2Jw9.jpg

So how does breaking a window thwart this behavior? Well, once Jason attacks a window, it leaves little shards of glass in the window pane. Now if a counselor hops through that window, they get cut. Continue hopping back and forth, and you will reach a wounded state. Once wounded, your movements are limited. We will continue to balance this during the beta to get to a point that "feels right" and fair for all players. 

The last thing we wanted was someone finding this "looping" mechanic and exploit it. That's never fun. Sure, Jason could change up his plan of attack. He could simply leave the area, go kill others and then find that other player once they are out in the open. But once a player finds an exploit like that, they will use it over and over and over. It becomes part of their tactics to stay alive. We hope you guys find this new mechanic fair. Once beta hits, we'd love to hear your feedback on it. 

Ha, great balance 

Ok, here's something that needs to be asked. What if someone opens a window prior to being discovered by Jason? Is the "jump through window" option going to be usable when the window is already open? And also, will Jason be able to break a window that is already open?

Definitely on the first, jumping through a safely opened window didn't cause any damage. Unless you were jumping out from a higher level!

Can't quite recall on the second. I think that's right, too.

I think adding a window-grab feature would be great! It would make the cabins psychologically smaller for counselors, as they'd have to avoid the windows. I mean, they already do (to avoid ax swings), but imagine snatching a counselor out of the window when they least expect it. 

That would be awesome and realistic, plus true to films. 

To add to a point I made in the 'Kills I'd like to see added' thread, this would be a awesome re-imagining of the backbreaker kill in VI. Grab the player through a window, and if they dont escape or pocket-knife their way out of the grab, you could reach in through the window, grab the player in a bearhug and pull them through the window, breaking them in half to pull them through. I know this would require new mo-cap and animation/rigging but damn would it be cool to see in a future DLC. 

Definitely a good incentive to stay away from windows. 

MutantTaco likes this

i got a great idea,if you loop around a car or fence more than twice Jason hit's full rage meter and he grabs over the fence and impales you on the post.

For the car,he literally grabs the front car hood and flips it up and knocks the counselor on their ass,Jason comes over and merges the counselor's head with the engine block.

i have got a great terrible idea,if you loop around a car or fence more than twice Jason hit's full rage meter and he grabs over the fence and impales you on the post.

For the car,he literally grabs the front car hood and flips it up and knocks the counselor on their ass,Jason comes over and merges the counselor's head with the engine block.

Fixed it for you.