wes

How to stop "looping" or troll behavior against Jason.

99 posts in this topic

In an effort to negate players ability to troll Jason via windows, we've implemented a new mechanic into the game. We noticed in playtests that we could be inside a cabin, and when Jason enters, just hop out a window. As Jason comes around the cabin to face the counselor, they could simply jump back in. Now Jason has to go back to the door, and guess what would happen? Yep, the counselor would just jump back out again. This is frustrating. Sure, it's a great approach if you're a counselor, but that leads to an unbalanced experience. Our solution? Let Jason break windows.

Cwcw_xAWIAE2Jw9.jpg

So how does breaking a window thwart this behavior? Well, once Jason attacks a window, it leaves little shards of glass in the window pane. Now if a counselor hops through that window, they get cut. Continue hopping back and forth, and you will reach a wounded state. Once wounded, your movements are limited. We will continue to balance this during the beta to get to a point that "feels right" and fair for all players. 

The last thing we wanted was someone finding this "looping" mechanic and exploit it. That's never fun. Sure, Jason could change up his plan of attack. He could simply leave the area, go kill others and then find that other player once they are out in the open. But once a player finds an exploit like that, they will use it over and over and over. It becomes part of their tactics to stay alive. We hope you guys find this new mechanic fair. Once beta hits, we'd love to hear your feedback on it. 

Niza, puedo ver lo que mi mensaje para que u haga efecto y u traernos un poco de información jejejeje   :rolleyes:

pd: Thx Jason.

Edit: I read the post two times and i love the idea for the windows.  I hate in DbD that situation, is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Really i cant wait for play Friday 13 Beta.

wes likes this

This is literally Infinites from Dead by Daylight. Just keep hopping the windows over and over.

They still haven't taken any ACTUAL measures against those(aside from some failed window block mechanic that never works.)

Honestly even tho I know I'm going to be survivor a majority of the time. Id rather this mechanic favor Jason more as I have dealt with window abuse before and it MURDERS the atmosphere(and fun) of the game.

The Arrogant Man likes this

This is literally Infinites from Dead by Daylight. Just keep hopping the windows over and over.

They still haven't taken any ACTUAL measures against those(aside from some failed window block mechanic that never works.)

Honestly even tho I know I'm going to be survivor a majority of the time. Id rather this mechanic favor Jason more as I have dealt with window abuse before and it MURDERS the atmosphere(and fun) of the game.

It's true. These tactics are pretty much part of what makes the killer in DbD such a joke aand I'm glad it's being addressed head on. I also think the solution is awesome. Really getting to a point that I'm probably a little over excited for the beta. :)
wes, Nothingface and Juez like this

I love this idea to stop loopers as well but I do have one question. Is this just going to cause Jason players to run around the map smashing every single window they find regardless of if they are chasing someone?

I love this idea to stop loopers as well but I do have one question. Is this just going to cause Jason players to run around the map smashing every single window they find regardless of if they are chasing someone?

I'd like to point out that even if jason gets stronger as the game goes on, he as well has a time limit to go by. Namely the counselors getting parts together and whatnot. Jason simply cannot afford to run around breaking every single piece of glass without spending serious time away from his objective.

my 2 cents anyways

On the topic itself:

Great. This was one of the things i hated with dead by daylight, and it gives me renewed confidence in the team (not that it was needed) that they actually took the time to adress something like this.

In an effort to negate players ability to troll Jason via windows, we've implemented a new mechanic into the game. We noticed in playtests that we could be inside a cabin, and when Jason enters, just hop out a window. As Jason comes around the cabin to face the counselor, they could simply jump back in. Now Jason has to go back to the door, and guess what would happen? Yep, the counselor would just jump back out again. This is frustrating. Sure, it's a great approach if you're a counselor, but that leads to an unbalanced experience. Our solution? Let Jason break windows.

attachicon.gifCwcw_xAWIAE2Jw9.jpg

So how does breaking a window thwart this behavior? Well, once Jason attacks a window, it leaves little shards of glass in the window pane. Now if a counselor hops through that window, they get cut. Continue hopping back and forth, and you will reach a wounded state. Once wounded, your movements are limited. We will continue to balance this during the beta to get to a point that "feels right" and fair for all players. 

The last thing we wanted was someone finding this "looping" mechanic and exploit it. That's never fun. Sure, Jason could change up his plan of attack. He could simply leave the area, go kill others and then find that other player once they are out in the open. But once a player finds an exploit like that, they will use it over and over and over. It becomes part of their tactics to stay alive. We hope you guys find this new mechanic fair. Once beta hits, we'd love to hear your feedback on it. 

Do either Jason or the counselors have regenerative health? Say a counselor reaches a wounded state, but is able to run off and successfully hide.... will they ever come out of the wounded state, back to normal health? Or will they be in the wounded state for the remanded of the game? 

What about Jason? (Jason should definitly have regenerative health)

Hopefully the game is slightly balanced in favor of Jason. That makes perfect sense. I'd say 60/40 would be good. (The only person who should be an even match for him [50/50] is Tommy Jarvis)

Do either Jason or the counselors have regenerative health? Say a counselor reaches a wounded state, but is able to run off and successfully hide.... will they ever come out of the wounded state, back to normal health? Or will they be in the wounded state for the remanded of the game?

What about Jason? (Jason should definitly have regenerative health)

Hopefully the game is slightly balanced in favor of Jason. That makes perfect sense. I'd say 60/40 would be good. (The only person who should be an even match for him [50/50] is Tommy Jarvis)

If counselors can just regeneration health that would make Med Spray pointless.

Here's my two cents on the window thing.  It's a great idea for the counselors and looping issues.  However,

Let's say Jason goes around and busts all the windows to cabins... 

this behavior would prevent window usage to counselors.

SOLUTION:  Have the counselors be able to crawl through windows unharmed, but they'll go through a much slower window crawl animation to stay safe.

So essentially, to go through the window without injury, you'd have to press the action button without holding the run button.

While you are holding the run button, the counselor will get through the window at speed, but will be injured.  (and make much more noise on top of that).

If you 'walk' (careful crawl - through the window), Jason will be able to catch up to you (if you are in a chase) and pull you back in, or just slash you as you exit the window... OR... what if he could grab the window sill, stab/smash the person in the window and now that window is blocked with a dead body.

Cool ideas for thought.

Here's my two cents on the window thing.  It's a great idea for the counselors and looping issues.  However,

SOLUTION:  Have the counselors be able to crawl through windows unharmed, but they'll go through a much slower window crawl animation to stay safe.

So essentially, to go through the window without injury, you'd have to press the action button without holding the run button.

While you are holding the run button, the counselor will get through the window at speed, but will be injured.  (and make much more noise on top of that).

If you 'walk' (careful crawl - through the window), Jason will be able to catch up to you (if you are in a chase) and pull you back in, or just slash you as you exit the window... OR... what if he could grab the window sill, stab/smash the person in the window and now that window is blocked with a dead body.

Cool ideas for thought.

I'm not sure about the body. They might be a bit too far in. Other than that, fantastic idea all around.

Fatalfox likes this

Cool ideas for thought.

I think thats a pretty nice balance actually! Like Arrogant man said "Fantastic idea all around" maybe the devs will agree as well!

The Arrogant Man likes this

Great idea, but Jason can be a troll too. Jason can break the windows for disturb the counselours, in this case, they are without options.

Cool ideas for thought.

In any situation where you would need to go through that window slow I would think you would just use the door.

If Jason's chasing you and he smashed the window before hand you can still use the window you just take a chip of damage, that chip of damage would still be better than dying to Jason any day.

The only potentially bad situation is if your already at lower hp and are forced to hop the broken window and it puts you into the injured state. That would need to be messed with to see how often it comes up.

Using a corpse to block a window however is a fucking COOL idea.

Here's my two cents on the window thing. It's a great idea for the counselors and looping issues. However,

SOLUTION: Have the counselors be able to crawl through windows unharmed, but they'll go through a much slower window crawl animation to stay safe.

While you are holding the run button, the counselor will get through the window at speed, but will be injured. (and make much more noise on top of that).

Cool ideas for thought.

They wouldn't be hurt or wounded right away they'd be hurt if they window loop.

So there's no reason to worry about Jason breaking every window in a particular cabin unless you're looping.

They wouldn't be hurt or wounded right away they'd be hurt if they window loop.

So there's no reason to worry about Jason breaking every window in a particular cabin unless you're looping.

I worry about Jason breaking all the windows, because I don't use a loop but I know I need run away Jason. If Jason do this, counselours are without options. But I think this is a great idea. In the films, Jason have head-start, but counselours haven't this.

P.S: Sorry for my bad English

Good point, but I imagine many situations where there may be no choice but to go through the broken window and get hurt, so Jason can catch me and kill me, and I feel the psychological horror now, I very fearful (and I like it, but is weird).

P.S: Do you understand my English? I feel a little stupid talking in English because I don't have much knowledge...

In any situation where you would need to go through that window slow I would think you would just use the door.

If Jason's chasing you and he smashed the window before hand you can still use the window you just take a chip of damage, that chip of damage would still be better than dying to Jason any day.

The only potentially bad situation is if your already at lower hp and are forced to hop the broken window and it puts you into the injured state. That would need to be messed with to see how often it comes up.

Using a corpse to block a window however is a fucking COOL idea.

You wouldn't just use the door if you are trying to get out of the house without making it obvious you are just walking out the front door.

Walking out the FRONT (most obvious) part of the house is NOT the best choice sometimes.  If you go through a side window with the more careful and QUIETER approach, you can make a side exit, and hopefully not alert Jason, especially if you know he's approaching from the front of the house.  Running through a broken window at speed, will hurt, and be LOUDER and more audible for Jason to hear, where as walk (careful crawl) will make no noise and won't alert Jason... however if he's chasing you, that option probably isn't the best choice.

As for the second comment, by ResolutionBlaze:  "They wouldn't be hurt or wounded right away they'd be hurt if they window loop."

They will be hurt each time they jump through the window, and they won't get injured unless they keep jumping through, BUT...  What if they don't want to lose any health?

Then they have the option to crawl through carefully, but the payment for that is the slower animation... which means if you are in a chase... probably not a good idea to safe crawl through.