wes

Will Pamela Be a Playable Character? Ever?

204 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, StarringRole said:

Hmm I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe in Pamela's role in the game, even more so in the current maps despite the developer feelings with the rubber band.

I admit Pamela is grounded in reality but in the movies you don't literally get insight to Jason morphing and sensing in particular.

So its the same with Pamela. Just her abilities don't need to be completely grounded.in reality. I say this with things such as stealth coming to mind, possibly making her impossible to see from a range to set up moments where she plans to hide to surprise kill.

In fact I see her almost working like a counsellor but extremely OP.

High high stamina. Can hide in wardrobes. Drastic jabs and medium speed (similar to what is 5/10 for counsellors).
She could have an ability "adrenaline" that makes he speed go up drastically where her voice lines may become far more erratic for a period of time and interactions go along far quicker.

The separation interestingly enough, Pamela can use Windows and not doors (not barred doors) but without adrenaline she takes longer than a counsellor to get through a window.

Pamela's sense equivalent could be a blood. Her attacks inflict bleeding effects and she can track counsellors via glowing blood or foot prints.

Pamela if she were to have a Jason grab equivalent could be more of an arm to arm grapple which can then lead to a special kill, if they environment kills were to be added to her then she could after grapple jab their leg and pull a crying counsellor.

Her rage equivalent could be a damage boost strong bleeding effect and always fast Window climb.

The biggest change I see is that guns would be removed from the maps for her and that she wouldn't be killable and the equivalent of killing Jason for her is shooting her with a shotgun that must be repaired by various parts.
-Ammo for example.

If we go off the strengths weaknesses system then I already imagine a few.

+Bleed -Bleed
+Damage -Damage
+Grapple -Grapple
+Enhanced Stamina -Stamina
+Speed -Speed
+Swim Speed -Swim Speed

To make better use of fear for Pamela it could induce quicker, force more bleeding and damage from also thus resulting in tracking. Fear induced targets could also be easily grappled by Pamela. It would work that she can use varius weapons to strike counsellors too. Actually she could use their own weapons, blunt weapons may not induce bleeding but she can stun them and grapple them. She could also from inside cabins sabotage doors allowing her to open them as normal doors for whenever she wants and counsellors cant do anything about it. Perhaps footsteps could become a part of her rage mode equivalent and blood is early game? 

I dunno, but I believe in Pamela coming to this game even with the current maps. I think its a lot more achievable, and despite me loving Jason... Pamela is my favourite. I really hope the day comes that Pamela shines through and makes it into the game. Hell, she should be able to get in the car and run over counsellors. (But she can't repair or pick up parts she can only start the car once its repaired.) As for the boat either stop it from being on there when she is around or allow her to like Jason place traps and quite a few, with a boat change the shape and she get the option to hide in it thus players might be discouraged from risking Pamela being ready to perform an assassination.

10 likes.png

What if it's secret killer Pamela disguised as a counselor until she gets [Rage] and then it's fast window climbing sprinting Pamela

2 people like this

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, DialM said:

10 likes.png

I'm going to guess you liked it :P

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, raf1ki said:

What if it's secret killer Pamela disguised as a counselor until she gets [Rage] and then it's fast window climbing sprinting Pamela

Oh you mean like the idea on the reddit!? I checked the link you left!

I think its a good idea because you can induce the direct surprise of some of Pamela's kills that didn't require stealth and her presence was basically trusted (despite that not being true for all cases but things like the girl she murdered who ran from her car.).  Its a great way of doing the trust surprise kill.

On the other hand what bothers me a tiny bit is with Pamela is it worth recreating the sense of surprise other than from pure stealth? I'd believe F13th  fans would want to see the most of Pamela they can so in an attempt to force Pamela I also disagree but not because it doesn't work, I disagree in a more fanboy type way, I'd love to just always see Pamela doing the job. That's why in my post I attempted to avoid anything that would truly reduce what you get from her except for stealth. Mechanic wise though the counsellor thing definitely can work, I'm simply more into trying to keep her likeness constant throughout as much that can be.

I honestly from the get go felt that her being known is they only way to make it feel its truest. Despite it reducing the surprise of a lot of her kills I still feel like some lots of stealth based abilities can go far enough to recreate it. Because obviously never recapture of the surprise of who is the killer (as in Pamela) unless you never knew or saw it or could give forced amnesia.

I was from a truthful point thinking that Pamela could as an ability initiate another counsellors appearance for a set amount of time till a certain distance is closed between her and a counsellor before the disguise is broke. Even though I'm not against it. Its just I love seeing Pamela so I admit a little fanboy in me is speaking to try and pray for her to be seen as much as possible. But I'm not going to cry over the counsellor disguise idea in general because it even came to me, its a very logical system!

In truth I do agree with it!

My only question is for this mode would certain features get disabled (not big ones) but to keep surprise things like name tags above a character? Especially for counsellor like abilities. I assume the entire match itself would base its self off hiding a lot more information from counsellors.

1 person likes this

I guess what I like about (although you are pointing out the dissimilarity between the two kinds of surprises and I have to acknowledge it) is that it still keeps the sense of suspense and mystery that the first Friday the 13th movie had up until her reveal. Although we would know who the killer will be when she is revealed, we would be in pandemonium about who to trust until then, and it would be a very refreshing break from the Jason gameplay. It is a different sense of surprise, but the reveal would have a lot of freshness each time because each Pamela player would bring something unique to her playstyle as she tries to fit in. It wouldn't break far from the movie either, as somebody on Reddit pointed out that Pamela was mistaken for a camp counselor in Pt 1.

Another item in the pros list for having a secret killer would be the lesser amount of resources that would need to go into mocapping and balancing the current maps around the game mode. As said in the initial post of this thread, the developers feel that they would need to create a new map for Pamela, suggesting that they think any playstyle they give her would not be balanced with the current ones. I think this mode could be very compatible with the current maps, items, and objectives, as secret killer modes have shown to be very versatile over many different games.

It would certainly be a shame if Pamela did not get enough screentime, so to speak, but keep in mind that that was part of what made her appearance so compelling in the original movie, propelling her to become an immortal theme of the franchise! Jaws and Hannibal Lector were only in their premiering films for brief appearances after long suspense, which had the inverse effect of making them more vivid and memorable.

I'm not sure hiding name tags or the scoreboard would be entirely necessary if Pamela initially takes the appearance of any regular counselor (whichever one she has chosen in the lobby, so as friends would think nothing is out of the ordinary). But limiting the use of walkie talkies or eliminating them entirely, along with maps, would be a good idea. It would probably be better to keep the playerbase united, and have each game have a chance to swap whichever Jason is chosen for Pamela so that the Pamela player is not revealed in the lobby... this could be an optional checkbox on the preference selection screen.

I do like your ideas for an enraged Pamela, but I think keeping her identity a secret for the first half of the game would be more in keeping with the movie (not the identity of the character, but the player). However, since the two different playstyles will work very differently (secret has strength against numbers, while your version has more strength against a few), there may be no need to have the game timer or something artificial determine when Pamela switches roles, especially if it is a permanent transformation. Knowing when to switch roles could be a big part of what makes a good Pamela player skillful!

2 people like this

To be honest I think adding Pamela to the game would be a good idea to give players a change of pace. I think if she were implemented she should be fast, stealthy and have the same moves as the teens in the game. Such as jumping through windows and hiding under beds and in closets. Also when it came to defeating Pamela calling in Alice Hardy with a machete would be a neat touch. 

1 person likes this

This sounds kinda ridiculous but...

What if Pamela became something like Tommy Jarvis character? That means, she would only spawn when Jason player is killed?

Or perhaps a dead player could spawn as Pamela to help Jason player under certain circumstances (at least 5 people still alive etc.). She would however be only human and have the exact same abilities as councilors... ie. could only kill players the regular way (ie. combat system) by grabbing the weapons laying around. And she could pick up fuses/gas/batteries etc. hide them etc.

*EDITED to add a few details after a match where a kid claimed to have both sets of keys as well as thinking up a few alternate ideas.  

I can understand the challenges of adding her to the game. In the first film she does most of the killing in stealth like mode or as "a familiar" face. The game is more full out Jason kill mode. He shows up announces his intentions and begins to hunt. So if anything the biggest problem would be that change from a stalker like game to more stealth like game a full brains over brawn thing. You guys have done a great job of getting the film setting just right so adding her in a Jason only film series would be a little off.

Ideas: If she was added to the existing game as it is. That is no new special map.

1. Pamela is only used on the Camp Crystal Lake map and if the setting for Jason is on random. She would be randomly selected. You might get a Jason or you might get Pamela. 

2. She would be killable.

3. She would be more like Tommy Jarvis in that she would have her own "hero" stats, perks and powers. Perks would include a sense ability that not only lasts for a minute or two but recharges very quickly. She should also have some thing that allows her to move quickly from one location to another on the map. She does have intimate knowledge about the camps layout so she should be able to move around faster from location to location, especially in the dark .Maybe something like what Jason has but with very limited use and shorter range. 

3a. Perk/Power: healing ability. She could use this to help keep her alive has the same effect as the med spray. This could also remove the need to have an inventory slot to pick up the med spray.

4. She has no music to warn anyone that she is nearby.

5. She uses any weapon the counselors can and pick up items as well. She would stat off with a weapon of course. That means she will have access to the walki-talkie and med sprays. The walkei-talkie to listen in and med sprays to heal herself. To go the extra evil mile maybe even have her pick up batteries, gas and the propeller so on that the counselors will need to escape or fix things. This means she could set up traps to lure players to get an item.  

5a. Inventory slots would be limited to just one to prevent hoarding anything. Unless the healing perk is added (3a) then she wouldn't have any inventory slots and not be able to loot the small items. She would now also start with the walkie-talkie. 

5b. She can uninstall the battery and propeller.

5c. She can not repair anything to use a vehicle. Figured this would need highlighted to make sure its clear.

5d.  When carrying the fuel, battery or propeller she will still drop the weapon she has equipped if it was a picked up one. She will still have her default weapons on her to use (machete and bow) but will have to drop the item she is carrying to use them. This will prevent her from being defenseless if the player tries to mess around with these items and be able to hunt on the fly if opportunity rises. 

6. Since she is killable her health and stamina would be just like the film and maybe better than the best Jason and counselor. This would giver her more running time as well as more hit points Hey, she did toss a body through a window and take a beating by the end of the film.

7. She would obviously be able to enter buildings that have unlocked doors. Once inside she could hide in the usual hiding spots but there would be no warning dialog like you get from the counselors. Just like in the film where she hid under a cot, for who knows how long before killing Jack (Kevin Bacon). She could even be able to jump through the open windows as well as open and close them. 

8. To balance things out in regards to the guns in the game, Pamela gets a bow and 5 or so arrows. This would work just like Jason's knives. The arrows would also do more damage than the knives. This also fits in with the film.

9. When using the cb radio to call Tommy, Tommy is replaced by a police officer. Similar to Tommy, he has a pistol with a single shot. I was thinking of having it be Steve Christy but his fate is sealed in the film.

A lot of these ideas would make the game harder and more challenging and really force players to work together, that is my intended idea. Sure you get some players who are scary at how good they play Jason but he still is a brute.  A perfect example would be do you have someone guard the car you just put the battery in or risk leaving it unguarded. The addition of Pamela having a walkie-talkie could work or not but since there are plenty of players who constantly talk or have something n the background making a lot of noise (radio/tv or kids) Jason already can hear some of these people.  

She can drive your jeep over counselours, this can replace Jason's teleportation.

1 person likes this

On 6/6/2017 at 8:41 PM, SexDrugs&Tea said:

If she is in, I hope they find a way to not make her not supernatural. Sound blimbs work, but sense morph and shift would be out, and she would be more focused on stealth, like many people said already.

I have always LOVED Pamela Voorhees and find her kind of tragic, because she's just a loving mom who went off the rails when people let her son die. The source of her strenght to me was always her love for Jason, even though it was corrupted by her anger and insanity to make her a killer. That's what makes her so compelling to me, so I hope they don't go and make her into a Zombie monster or Supreme of a coven of witches or a devil worshipper or whatever.

Yes, her being tragic really amps up the story and would the gameplay. Definitely agree to keep her non-supernatural, give her a sprint and disguise abilities. If players go into the water let child Jason drown them.

On 11/1/2016 at 2:21 PM, CrazyRalph said:

I have a suggestion, and it may be a stupid one. Its a little bit like a skin with "tweaks". Now...Jason can be seen teleporting like nightcrawler. Im not sure how the aesthetics have been changed or how Jason appearing looks to the counselor. It looks like Jason appears out of the darkeness or from behind things. One thing that could be done, to highlight how stealthy Pamela could be, is that at certain distances, Pamela would be invisible to the counselors. She could have a run option with stamina cooldowns to get within the vicinity or counselors. Only then once close would she get the option to short distance proximity teleport, and then from behind things and out of the dark. She would become visible then to players once in range. With that tweak, it kindve would keep the core mechanic of Jason but have the essence and distinctive change in play for Pamela. Thoughts or improvements?

I think an issue with Pamela being playable is that in the movie people saw her and were not threatened. They did not know she was there to kill them. In this game, in this environment, you lose that element of surprise as everyone knows that a non counselor would be there to harm them. Pamela may be better suited as an addition to single player rather than the multi player portion of the game. Kind of like a challenge/survival mode or something.

1 person likes this

I haven't read all 8 pages but I would settle for single player missions as Pamela.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

I haven't read all 8 pages but I would settle for single player missions as Pamela.

That ain't a bad idea at all. :)

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:19 AM, raf1ki said:

I guess what I like about (although you are pointing out the dissimilarity between the two kinds of surprises and I have to acknowledge it) is that it still keeps the sense of suspense and mystery that the first Friday the 13th movie had up until her reveal. Although we would know who the killer will be when she is revealed, we would be in pandemonium about who to trust until then, and it would be a very refreshing break from the Jason gameplay. It is a different sense of surprise, but the reveal would have a lot of freshness each time because each Pamela player would bring something unique to her playstyle as she tries to fit in. It wouldn't break far from the movie either, as somebody on Reddit pointed out that Pamela was mistaken for a camp counselor in Pt 1.

Another item in the pros list for having a secret killer would be the lesser amount of resources that would need to go into mocapping and balancing the current maps around the game mode. As said in the initial post of this thread, the developers feel that they would need to create a new map for Pamela, suggesting that they think any playstyle they give her would not be balanced with the current ones. I think this mode could be very compatible with the current maps, items, and objectives, as secret killer modes have shown to be very versatile over many different games.

It would certainly be a shame if Pamela did not get enough screentime, so to speak, but keep in mind that that was part of what made her appearance so compelling in the original movie, propelling her to become an immortal theme of the franchise! Jaws and Hannibal Lector were only in their premiering films for brief appearances after long suspense, which had the inverse effect of making them more vivid and memorable.

I'm not sure hiding name tags or the scoreboard would be entirely necessary if Pamela initially takes the appearance of any regular counselor (whichever one she has chosen in the lobby, so as friends would think nothing is out of the ordinary). But limiting the use of walkie talkies or eliminating them entirely, along with maps, would be a good idea. It would probably be better to keep the playerbase united, and have each game have a chance to swap whichever Jason is chosen for Pamela so that the Pamela player is not revealed in the lobby... this could be an optional checkbox on the preference selection screen.

I do like your ideas for an enraged Pamela, but I think keeping her identity a secret for the first half of the game would be more in keeping with the movie (not the identity of the character, but the player). However, since the two different playstyles will work very differently (secret has strength against numbers, while your version has more strength against a few), there may be no need to have the game timer or something artificial determine when Pamela switches roles, especially if it is a permanent transformation. Knowing when to switch roles could be a big part of what makes a good Pamela player skillful!

Hmm interestingly enough and stupidly on my side, I never really got  into thinking about how essentially it would make each one unique due to the player. So that's a very viable point for me personally. Its enough to probably make me says yes definitely yes despite my fanboyism.

I can't disagree with that either, although despite it I don't believe regardless of what the developers think that it actually would be unbalanced with Pamela, I believe each map would need minor modifications and mainly focused on the spawn listing. However the secret killer mode as you said is shown to be versatile, in truth I guess it would somewhat bear resemblance to Gmod Murder mode. On a very positive note, the mode itself has capability for even attracting more players so its definitely viable.

Its true, it did make her who she is. On the other hand I did think of a potential alternative. If Pamela is disguised for a segemant of the match then fanservice could be added by the use of an option to display Pamela true form on the Pamela players screen only till a public reveal. So either yours works like everyone where it will change or you personally always see yourself as Pamela. I think this would potentially fully please me. Perhaps to avoid the setting causing the player confusion the counsellor they represent is shown in a screen corner for they can always identify themselves. So essentially a flavour setting.

Good thought on the lobby, and I suppose your right, name hiding wouldn't be necessary so long as she was perfectly concealed at the matches opening!

Ooh I find that tasteful, knowing when to switch roles would be very nice! I suppose the hidden identify one is for the better health of the game and as you said something I undeniably can't disagree with is that its a huge change from the Jason playstyle. I'd imagine for Pamela can't tamper that she can't pick up parts? That could play a part in her being weak in concealing herself. I honestly I'm fine with both, its just I want intensive Pamela fanservice! But you brought up VERY good points!

1 person likes this

Browsed over most of everyone’s thoughts, views, hopes, dreams, and opinions regarding Pamela being a future killer in the game. Wes made some very valid points; however, there are obviously a lot of us who really would like to see Pamela Voorhees added as a killer…even if it’s paid DLC.

Love the concept of Pamela having similar abilities to the Counselors; opening doors, hoping in and out of windows, hiding under beds/in closets killing Counselors who get too close, calling off the cops, using Counselor weapons each with a unique execution, having maxed out abilities similar to Tommy, being faster as well as stealthier than Jason, and water travel/executions performed by Young Jason.

Perhaps the maps don’t need to be completely reworked; keep Jason's shack, but have a shrine dedicated to Mrs. Voorhees son instead with her Jeep also parked randomly on the map as a spot for one of his keepsakes. Killing Pamela could be done in similar fashion; get a machete, sneak into the Shack to find the First of Jason’s Keepsakes (Camp Crystal Lake t-shirt), then find Pamela’s Jeep to get his Second Keepsake (Inner Tube, Teddy Bear, Blanket, etc), and only a female Counselor wearing Jason’s CCL t-shirt can weaken Pamela enough to decapitate her with a machete.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts; came across so many great ideas in this Thread, and adding anything else would be beating a dead counselor. Hopefully the guys at Gun can use what we've all come up with to create a Pamela Voorhees that will work in the game while at the same time honor the original Friday the 13th killer.

1 person likes this

I just want her so I can do an old lady voice in game chat. It would be the only thing that would make me want to be the killer.

I'd love to see her as sort of an anti-tommy. As in, if a counselor dies, they have a chance of coming back as Pamela instead of Tommy with a smattering of the suggestions others have already put into here. It would be amazing for her to be hiding under a bed or inside one of the closets and pop out to stab someone to death without them expecting it. Of course 2 killers after the rest of the players might be a bit  wait for it... overkill

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, REDDOG said:

wish other options of funding pamela voorhees could be listed.

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

Okay I think the above .gif just showed why we need Pamela.

But seriously, we need Pamela, not to bash Jason, but her entire character is so good and an amazing killer she would be in the game!

Adding Pamela would only add to the depth of the game. Given the fact that she'd have to play differently than Jason, imo, it'd make the game even more fun than it already is. And the fact that you're not unstoppable as Pamela means you have to use a different strategy than when you're Jason and can just tank hit after hit.

I can see her being used for the single player part of the game that I understand is on the way.

I would like Pamela to be a character. I would like a challenge to it (Collect all the Pamela tapes to unlock her) I think it would be fun

No, it wouldn't be because thus far hardly anyone can find any of the tapes. If somehow she does get added to the game, I want her being playable to have absolutely nothing to do with the impossible to find tapes.

1 person likes this

? well if Pamela can't make it then all hopes are lost on getting Tina with a bad ass TK push/lift

On 7/5/2017 at 8:18 PM, Emperiex said:

No, it wouldn't be because thus far hardly anyone can find any of the tapes. If somehow she does get added to the game, I want her being playable to have absolutely nothing to do with the impossible to find tapes.

I was gonna ask if the tapes are even in the game...

On 11/2/2016 at 4:23 AM, ResolutionBlaze said:

Don't be hating on Jason X boy xD

Anyone else ever imagine uber jason slaughtering t-800's like camp counsilors. It's ok we reached thee fuse...robocop is coming...