wes

Will Pamela Be a Playable Character? Ever?

138 posts in this topic

And you need to understand that it still will not make sense. Surviving the night will never make sense. Yeah you got an unspoken time limit. Why? No reason. The sun came up. What happened? Who knows. Id rather something really happened that said you win or lose because ________. Not, hey its morning. You win.

The time limit is solely for gameplay reasons. That's all. Nothing else.

Here's the issue, when you shine a light right on Pamela's face and look at her up close, you'll be looking at a 3D Mrs. Gamenwatch. It'll look silly. At a distance? Sure. But she won't be killing people at a distance. Here's the other issue. If Pamela is just a tiny Kane Hodder silhouette with a Pamela sweater, what's even the point of having her?

No, she would have the shape/look of Pamela, not Jason. As for moves, of course I would love for them to add more moves specifically for her, but I'm just saying if they didn't want to go to all that extra work and expense, I would be totally fine if they just gave her a handful of Jason's moves (not the more defining ones) just maybe some choking and stabbing and certain environmental kills. Perhaps they could tweak it in a way that made it look slightly different from how Jason looks doing it, IDK.

As for the silhouette, just look at the pic I posted. That's basically how I'd expect it to look, even right up close. May be a little corny, but to me it works. I think it'd be more weird to be running from a fully detailed Pamela, especially if you were the Jock or the Badass. It would just be silly. But running from a mysterious dark shape, now that would actually be pretty cool. 

All in all though I'm just trying to think of a way they can include her without having to go all out by completely creating an all new character from scratch (at least a fully detailed one). I'd rather have a version of her than not at all. And doing it in first person would be a cool alteration from doing it in Third Person as Jason. It'd be a good way to differentiate the two. Plus, the silhouette thing wouldn't be as prevalent as it sounds. It's not like all others players are going to gather around when she's killing someone else. Even if they do, seeing the dark shadow of her would be pretty cool. You could look at it as going along with the more supernatural elements of the series (even though she directly was not supernatural). It's more metaphor than anything for what we witnessed in the original film. 

Here's the issue, when you shine a light right on Pamela's face and look at her up close, you'll be looking at a 3D Mrs. Gamenwatch. It'll look silly. At a distance? Sure. But she won't be killing people at a distance. Here's the other issue. If Pamela is just a tiny Kane Hodder silhouette with a Pamela sweater, what's even the point of having her?

Too hard, and not a good idea in the first place.

Once again I ask, what's the point? If you have to change everything about Pamela, why have her at all? And I'm okay with exaggeration. Look at Jason's size! He's huge! Way bigger than he was in the movies.

That's absurd. No one except you wants to introduce guns and landmines into a Friday The 13th game. Case and point...

That's actually a solid point. My issue is that I (and many others) want other content. I don't want the devs to spend time and money on something that likely won't work out anyway. Maybe if they had NOTHING else on their pallet. But honestly, I'd rather have Roy.

Unless it sucks. That's the problem. I don't think they CAN put it in, in a way that's scary and makes sense.

I don't wanna be that guy!

The only thing I've heard that actually makes Pamela seem like a half decent idea :lol:

Okay man, you need to understand something. When they say "survive the night" they don't literally mean that Jason goes away when the sun comes up. It's just a less gamey way of saying "this game has a time limit". That's all. The sun probably doesn't even come up. It's likely just a message that says "you survived the night" boom.

You haven't brought up any other ppints except "don't add her cuz it's dumb"

Again, do you have something against being creative with a killer that only got one movie?

All you've done thus far is just get angry and scream subjective, biased nonsense.

But my point was that Pamela would be a trap killer mostly.

I like the idea of traps and disguises, but I think the traps would be better if they were non-lethal.  If someone gets caught in a trap (say a bear trap or a rope trap) they will be highlighted for the Mrs. Voorhees player on her screen or map, no matter how far away they are.  In addition, the trapped counselor will call for help and will be highlighted for any other counselor's in the general vicinity.  This way, the Mrs. Voorhees player could lie in wait and use the trapped counselor as bait.  At any point in time, Mrs. Voorhees can go up to the trapped counselor and kill them.  I guess a trap can be escaped from after a certain amount of time passes.

I also think that Pamela should be able to use any weapons or traps a counselor can use.  If she kills a counselor who is carrying a weapon then she can pick it up and use it herself.  Or if she finds a weapon lying around she can pick it up as well.  Pamela with a shotgun would be crazy, lol. 

She should probably get something that improves her stealth, as well.  I do like the whole disguise thing where she would look like another counselor from far away, but as she gets close you will notice something is off.  That could make things pretty intense.

But yeah, I would say if they did decide to go through with a Mrs. Voorhees update that they should go the full nine yards and update the animations to suit her properly.  A lot of work, yes, but if they decided to actually implement her then it should be done right.  I am pretty sure Wes and company would agree with that.

Now is this pretty much a pipe dream?  Yeah, lol.  I wish somebody would drop a million bucks on Wes' doorstep and be like, "Get Pam in the game, bruh" but I don't think that's going to happen, heh. 

But it's still fun to shoot ideas about how she would play if she ever did get added.  And I don't really get the hate against Mrs. Voorhees as she would add some variety to the game.  Jason is awesome and everything, but Pam seemed to get shit done as well.  But a lot of mechanics would have to be added to the game to make it work properly since she is a lot different from Jason.  Still, I would love to see it happen, but the chances do seem pretty low, unfortunately. 

Take care.

Honestly I would much rather have mark than Pamela I'm not saying I don't want her in but I've always felt bad for mark and I think Pamela should come later

Also CrazyRalph I like to think that someone's coming to get the counselors in the morning

@thebest, now....if there was a cutscene that showed a bus or something come to pick them up when the time limit expired that would be ok. Lets hope for a sensible end.

It is sensible.

It's called "I don't want the game to last forever"

Honestly I would much rather have mark than Pamela I'm not saying I don't want her in but I've always felt bad for mark and I think Pamela should come later

Also CrazyRalph I like to think that someone's coming to get the counselors in the morning

Who the hell is Mark? Do you mean Roy? If that's the case then I'd want Pamela more. I never liked Roy and always thought that little twist was a huge disappointment.

Who the hell is Mark? Do you mean Roy? If that's the case then I'd want Pamela more. I never liked Roy and always thought that little twist was a huge disappointment.

Mark was the wheelchair-bound counselor in Part 2, he was also one of the character based stretch goals along with Pamela and Tommy.

now me personally, would i love seeing pamela playable? sure do. but yeah, that would be a lot of work just for a new character. but i'm patient like a python...or anaconda. i'd prefer it to first release the game and fix all the little things, make the game Perfect. after that we have all the time in the world to work on stuff to keep the game fresh. once we are at this point that is.

and honestly, i don't care how long it would take, and if we have to wait till 2020 until Pamela in included. i take what i can get and enjoy it. most people complain about what they don't have, me? i take what i can get and get as much fun out of it as possible.

I think Pamela should be added eventually. Only in the most simplistic way possible however and obviously as DLC.

The easiest method would be making her a skin variation.

Or

The complicated method would be some throwaway mode where you play as a random Jason AND Pamela. So either 2 vs 7 or 2 vs 14. Whatever way you wanna slice it.

Rebalancing the game for her by herself might be too difficult. I do agree with those that think she should be in. If for nothing else, out of respect to Betsy Palmer. She may not have liked the film for years and years, but she eventually came round to it and embraced it. She was one of the better actors/actresses of the series and the original killer. That's a tough resume to simply pass on.

I mean..what are the Top characters of the series, objectively speaking?

1. Jason Voorhees

2. Tommy Jarvis

3. Mrs. Voorhees

4. Alice

5. Jimbo/Ted?

6. Chris

7. Tina

8. Dr. Crews

9. Reggie

10 Julious

Rough list. Add or subtract to it.

Honestly,I don't want pamela voorhees as a playable character. I prefer that she adds to that supernatural effect she played in part 2,and especially part 3,then 4. 

My idea would be to have her as a NPC in the game. like for example additional fear and kills will allows her to show up near the water and pull potential victims in with her. Like she did in part 3.

Or perhaps,a burst fuel tool where her words of "kill them all" or pushing her on allows you to gain more rage mode meter.

Hell,putting victims near her shrine allows one to gain extra abilities as honor points. 

1. Jason Voorhees

2. Tommy Jarvis

3. Mrs. Voorhees

4. Alice

5. Jimbo/Ted?

6. Chris

7. Tina

8. Dr. Crews

9. Reggie

10 Julious

1. Jason V.

2. Pamela V.

3. Tommy J.

4. Alice H.

5. Ginny F.

6. Chris H.

7. Reggie the Reckless

8. Paula

9. Jimbo

10. Melissa

Probably...

10ofSwords likes this

I think Pamela should be added eventually. Only in the most simplistic way possible however and obviously as DLC.

Or

The complicated method would be some throwaway mode where you play as a random Jason AND Pamela. So either 2 vs 7 or 2 vs 14. Whatever way you wanna slice it.

Rebalancing the game for her by herself might be too difficult. I do agree with those that think she should be in. If for nothing else, out of respect to Betsy Palmer. She may not have liked the film for years and years, but she eventually came round to it and embraced it. She was one of the better actors/actresses of the series and the original killer. That's a tough resume to simply pass on.

1. Jason Voorhees

2. Tommy Jarvis

3. Mrs. Voorhees

4. Alice

5. Jimbo/Ted?

6. Chris

7. Tina

8. Dr. Crews

9. Reggie

10 Julious

it's not about being top 10 its about being memorable and or dying specially

so 

Pamela

chris

ginny

alice <--- obviously top 4, but then we should remember jenny is based off chris. and both Alice  and Ginny's actors both LOVE the franchise to this very day they take big pride in the roles. it will be possible to buy them in the future with more money and make them in the game.

pamela's actor is dead, not sure how that works.

tommy is already in, no reason to talk about it.

but one memorable death is andy, walking on his hands with those hairy pits out before jason slice him down the middle. to me this is a more memorable choice because real fans remembers and some others too ''remember the guy who was walking on his hands?'' and yes plenty recall the incident. his girlfriend is less memorable, but is one of the few ''not main'' characters to show personality. Her name was Debbie and she was in a short i dont know what to call it but she encountered the biker gang in the store when she and shelley went there.

From the same movie the harpoon kill is memorable too, and the nerd who owned the mask before jason could have an honorable spot. the thing is if they keep adding everyone who is memorable they would have 40 characters in no time, which is fine by me but they do not have the time to make that many that soon.

and lets remember they do not own the rights to the movie characters and they have to stick to original work more or less completely

Hello Wes and everyone else. HUGE fan here. Remember guys pamela was dabbling with the book of the dead. If they brought her in as the killer maybe she is strengthened by it. She could have the lockpick or keys to the maps and her lockpicking could increase as the matches go on. Middle aged lady who used the morellonomicon. .....Pamela is scary period. would love to play as her. Love you Pam! Bring her home to crystal lake and as a nod to betsy palmer herself!! "kill them mommy" 

Or

1. Jason Voorhees

2. Tommy Jarvis

3. Mrs. Voorhees

4. Alice

5. Jimbo/Ted?

6. Chris

7. Tina

8. Dr. Crews

9. Reggie

10 Julious

Mcculloch from part 8 was a pretty good antagonist

Ned the clown from part 1 was pretty cool too

Rob from part 4 

I've seen this question posted many times. Hell, we've talked about it a million times here in the office. So I thought it would make sense to provide a breakdown on how big of an undertaking it would be to add Pamela as a playable killer in F13. 

First, let's talk broad assumptions about Pamela as a killer. In the films, we didn't see Pamela actually kill. "We" (the audience) saw these kills from a first-person perspective, and only the victim knew it was Pamela just before they died. It wasn't until the last reel of the film that we discovered she was the killer. But think about how she killed. She was very stealthy and her kills, for the most part, were very up-close and personal. There's almost a Michael Myers approach to her killing style. Jason on the other hand is a brute killer. In the later films, he didn't care to be seen. In fact he would jump through windows and break down doors to enter a building. Very impactful, jump scare-y and athletic at times. Jason 2, 3 and 4 all ran as you're aware. He was more human. There was a stumbling/bumbling aspect to these Jasons. However, Jason 6-9 were more stoic, undead, slow and menacing. 

With that said, let's talk mechanics and level layouts. We built all the maps with pacing in mind. Think about a rubber band in your mind. Put the rubber band on your right-hand pointer finger, now stretch it over to your left-hand pointer finger. Now stretch it out as far as you can, then relax it back, bringing your fingers close together. Separate your fingers, bring them back close, back and forth. That's the mindset for pacing in our game. You are one finger, Jason is the other. The mechanics we create in the game become the rubber band. How fast can the counselor run? How fast can Jason run? How fast is Jason's cooldown for his abilities? What is the distance from one building to the next? All of these are considered in the mechanics of the game. Some games create tension by limiting resources (food, water, bullets) but we do it through how we built the entire game. The level layout, the characters, their abilities, etc. It all comes back to the rubber band. 

Now that you're thinking how we think, are you starting to see how difficult it would be to add Pamela as a playable character? When the level is created to make Jason's abilities shine and heighten tension as a counselor...how do you create a killer with NEW abilities? And Pamela's abilities would need to be grounded in "real life". She's a real person after all. Unhinged, but real. Nonetheless, I hope you're starting to see how much work it would be to add her. We would need a new abilities system just for her. We would need a new map, just for her. We would need to balance her abilities against the counselors abilities to make sure no one gets too much of an upper-hand. It makes my head spin to think about it.

We're not against it. We think it would be pretty cool. But it's something that would take a lot of time and money to do right. I think we could spend that doing other, more manageable DLC in the future. Manhattan/Boat, Space/Grendal, etc, etc.  I hope this helps answer this question. :)

-W

Honestly, I think the best way to implement Pamela Voorhees, would be to put her in a single player stealth level, with the player in control of her. The map being the original Crystal Lake campground. The counselors AI controlled doing odd things about the map, ie starting the generator, going cabin to cabin, etc. You, as Pamela, could sneak about off-ing the unwary, but if you get spotted, all hell breaks loose, ie cops get called if you didn't cut the wires, AI is sharper if you didn't disable the generator and cut the lights etc.

In MP and Single Player levels as Jason, she would serve best as a boost or upgradeable ability for Jason, making his cooldowns on abilities better using her voice in his head. Maybe as a final XP upgrade in her Jason upgrade stat chart, having her as a kill animation to a counselor who is in the water, triggered by the Jason player by line of sight. Like in part 3's ending. Just a tip on her implementation in gameplay.

You guys are the best, keep drivin' on, Rangers Lead The Way!

Soon, very soon, you will be hailed as pioneers in the horror survival genre. ;) Well deserved!

-Mark Kaiser

I know this is an "old" topic, but to put my input on this idea what about having Pamela as a Trap/Summon for Jason. Maybe have her ghost wandering around the grounds and if approached by the Counselors have them get feared and Jason get their location. If approached by Jason maybe give him a small buff.

Playing the beta recently, I would love to see Pamela added to the game! Have her spawn by her jeep near the edge of the map, then have her hear/imitate Jason's voice in a cutscene and during game-play to instill fear in counselors.      Strength, running, stealth, and hiding kills.