wes

Will Pamela Be a Playable Character? Ever?

204 posts in this topic

Why not just make Pamela's mode first person, so all you see are her hands and arms? That would seem to fix a lot of the issues you are talking about and actually make her character faithful to the film. That way you bypass a lot of the headaches and are still able to give us Pamela. 

Though I'm really hoping for Uber Jason (who's stats would be maxed out in every single category - a walking tank, far beyond any of the other Jasons)

You're forgetting...there are 7 other players on the map that can see her from head to toe. Sooo... ;)

You're forgetting...there are 7 other players on the map that can see her from head to toe. Sooo... ;)

I have an idea for how to fix that...what if, as I said, Pamela will be played from first person, so all the person playing her will see is her hands and forearms, but what the other players will see is just a dark figure perpetually hidden by darkness - like a dark, human shaped shadow. Even if the Pamela player steps into a lighted area, everyone else will only see a vague shadow, no matter how close or far away they are. That way it seems more mysterious; metaphorically going along with the first film (and it would definitely add to her stealth abilities as seen in the film). Pamela would only be revealed in full after the game has ended, maybe via cut scene. Being represented as a dark figure would take a lot less time to create and wouldn't require nearly as much detail. I guess that would come in the cut scene when she is revealed, but hopefully that wouldn't be as painstaking to get right as the Jason skins were. 

Just alter her stats from Jason's making her not as strong (though she was still pretty strong in the film) but giving her maximum stealth and speed settings. She of course would not be as big as Jason, but even if the other players are watching her kill someone else, they'll just see the figure stabbing or choking or whatever, the same as Jason, just smaller in stature. 

I know it's a stretch, but this could work and perhaps make it easier for you guys to include her. And it definitely goes with the first film being super mysterious. It goes with neither the viewer nor the people being killed knowing who she is (as in the film). That is why she is simply represented as a shadow during gameplay. (The same way Jason doesn't actually teleport, you've only included that in the game to show how he gets from point A to point B (from his POV) so fast (even if it's not exactly like that in the films) and just added it into his gameplay moveset). It would be the exact same thing with Pamela and create a fun and unique gameplay experience. 

As for maps, you don't have to worry about creating Part 1 maps. Just let her use the maps you've already created. I won't complain. Those who do I'm sure will get over it really fast once they realize how awesome this mode is. 

1.jpg

I have an idea for how to fix that...what if, as I said, Pamela will be played from first person, so all the person playing her will see is her hands and forearms, but what the other players will see is just a dark figure perpetually hidden by darkness - like a dark, human shaped shadow. Even if the Pamela player steps into a lighted area, everyone else will only see a vague shadow, no matter how close or far away they are. That way it seems more mysterious; metaphorically going along with the first film (and it would definitely add to her stealth abilities as seen in the film). Pamela would only be revealed in full after the game has ended, maybe via cut scene. Being represented as a dark figure would take a lot less time to create and wouldn't require nearly as much detail. I guess that would come in the cut scene when she is revealed, but hopefully that wouldn't be as painstaking to get right as the Jason skins were.

Just alter her stats from Jason's making her not as strong (though she was still pretty strong in the film) but giving her maximum stealth and speed settings. She of course would not be as big as Jason, but even if the other players are watching her kill someone else, they'll just see the figure stabbing or choking or whatever, the same as Jason, just smaller in stature.

I know it's a stretch, but this could work and perhaps make it easier for you guys to include her. And it definitely goes with the first film being super mysterious. It goes with neither the viewer nor the people being killed knowing who she is (as in the film). That is why she is simply represented as a shadow during gameplay. (The same way Jason doesn't actually teleport, you've only included that in the game to show how he gets from point A to point B (from his POV) so fast (even if it's not exactly like that in the films) and just added it into his gameplay moveset). It would be the exact same thing with Pamela and create a fun and unique gameplay experience.

As for maps, you don't have to worry about creating Part 1 maps. Just let her use the maps you've already created. I won't complain. Those who do I'm sure will get over it really fast once they realize how awesome this mode is.

1.jpg

Not picking your idea but honestly a dark figure? Why even bother putting her in then? The general rule of thumb is that it is done right or not at all. No one is saying its impossible to happen, only that it is a very expensive thing to add.

1 person likes this

Maybe she is really important to the franchise. Maybe she was epic and legendary, but, honestly, i don't wanna play like her or against her :/ i prefer before new and classic characters (Mark Jarvis, Tina Sheppard, The Crazy Ralph, Jack Marand, Julius Gaw, Clay Miller) and another Jason's versions (Jason X First Form, Uber-Jason, Roy Burns, FvJ, Remake) and more maps (The Boat from Part VIII, the Hospital from Part IV, the military base from Jason X, the Space Ship, Camp Crystal Lake during the day like remake)

1 person likes this

Maybe she is really important to the franchise. Maybe she was epic and legendary, but, honestly, i don't wanna play like her or against her :/ i prefer before new and classic characters (Mark Jarvis, Tina Sheppard, The Crazy Ralph, Jack Marand, Julius Gaw, Clay Miller) and another Jason's versions (Jason X First Form, Uber-Jason, Roy Burns, FvJ, Remake) and more maps (The Boat from Part VIII, the Hospital from Part IV, the military base from Jason X, the Space Ship, Camp Crystal Lake during the day like remake)

I'll agree. And this is going to be an unpopular opinion, and maybe this makes me not a "true fan", but the series is about Jason. As far as I'm concerned, Pamela was just a setup for the rest of the series evn though of course they didnt know it at the time. Pamela did her thing, then along comes Jason and with zero effort he takes out the girl that took out Pamela.

Cant say I agree with the Jasons you'd like to see but to each their own. I just have zero desire to have Pamela in the game. And I really hope they give us the option to turn off her voice when playing Jason. That'll get old after while.

2 people like this

I'll agree. And this is going to be an unpopular opinion, and maybe this makes me not a "true fan", but the series is about Jason. As far as I'm concerned, Pamela was just a setup for the rest of the series evn though of course they didnt know it at the time. Pamela did her thing, then along comes Jason and with zero effort he takes out the girl that took out Pamela.

Cant say I agree with the Jasons you'd like to see but to each their own. I just have zero desire to have Pamela in the game. And I really hope they give us the option to turn off her voice when playing Jason. That'll get old after while.

We are not true fans maybe xD i respect Pamela and his contribution to the franchise, but... jason is jason. And i like the franchise because him (because the script, the histories, the actors,... i just simply like the saga but i dont think that is a great sagaxD)

Well you gotta think... Pamela began the whole thing... If she didn't kill and then die, Jason would have never went out to take his revenge.

I mean... think to Telltale's "The Walking Dead" for a sec... You played as Lee Everett in the first Season, then in Season 2 you play Clementine.  That's because Lee was to Clementine like Pamela was to Jason.  Without Lee, there is no Clementine.  Without Pamela, there is no Jason.  Despite her only being in one movie, her contribution was THE most important in any of the films ever to come out after.

So while the future movies Jason became the face of Friday The 13th, Pamela Voorhees made the largest contribution in any of the future movies.  Because without Pamela, Jason is nothing, even while Pamela is dead she still influences Jason.  Pamela is his motivation, his will to continue, his Ark.

4 people like this

Am I seriously the only one who thinks Pamela would be scary?

If done correctly, anything can be scary, even a middle aged woman with a knife.

4 people like this

I think it could be terrifying. Give her some sneaky abilities like being able to dress up as counselors she's killed, you see someone in the diatance, you run towards them and they pull out a knife and start chasing you.

+ Jason being mute works for his character, but pamela could have terrifying dialogue, a maniacle laughter, imagine everytime pamela kills someone or uses one of her abilities, you hear this creepy insane laughter anywhere on the map.

To me, she'd have the potential to be scarier thAn jason

5 people like this

I think it could be terrifying. Give her some sneaky abilities like being able to dress up as counselors she's killed, you see someone in the diatance, you run towards them and they pull out a knife and start chasing you.

+ Jason being mute works for his character, but pamela could have terrifying dialogue, a maniacle laughter, imagine everytime pamela kills someone or uses one of her abilities, you hear this creepy insane laughter anywhere on the map.

Well, i like your idea. But they have to make a new game-mode for this. First Person View to Pamela, habilty to use councelor's clothes, non-teletransportation then, be faster, be invisible for a while, and councelors can kill her if they notice she are with their, or call-the-police, or surive. Pamela is really weak, so, she will need somo unique habilites for survive too  :ph34r:  Anyway, i like your idea, but, i want more maps, councelors and jasons before her (unless the decide make a "The Original Friday The 13th Pack" with a new villain (Pamela Voorhees), new councelors (Alice and Crazy Ralph), more items and weapons, and a new baleful map, like "Voorhees House" or "Alice Hardy's Apartment" with the cat making jump-scares arround the place :) 

The issue with your idea is simple, beyond being too expensive. If I'm the jock, and I see Pamela, I  should be able TO BEAT HER TO DEATH! That's the problem. In Friday The 13th, no one knows they're being hunted. If they did, Pamela wouldn't stand a chance. She's just a woman. I think the game does a good enough job of respecting her legacy as is. I have no desire to play her. If she was available, I probably still wouldn't play her, and I'd be annoyed as a counselor when other people did. If I was unique in this stance, I'd suck it up. But I'm not. Pamela would be waste of time and money. Like I said, I adore Pamela as a villain. She's integral to what makes Jason so interesting. She's also an unimposing woman. She CAN be made scary with tons of effort, but why bother when it seems like a minority of people care?

1.jpg

I really don't mean to sound dismissive, but this idea sounds ridiculous. First, it would look silly. Second, it would take MORE effort to do. Not less.

The issue with your idea is simple, beyond being too expensive. If I'm the jock, and I see Pamela, I should be able TO BEAT HER TO DEATH! That's the problem. In Friday The 13th, no one knows they're being hunted. If they did, Pamela wouldn't stand a chance. She's just a woman. I think the game does a good enough job of respecting her legacy as is. I have no desire to play her. If she was available, I probably still wouldn't play her, and I'd be annoyed as a counselor when other people did. If I was unique in this stance, I'd suck it up. But I'm not. Pamela would be waste of time and money. Like I said, I adore Pamela as a villain. She's integral to what makes Jason so interesting. She's also an unimposing woman. She CAN be made scary with tons of effort, but why bother when it seems like a minority of people care?

Im not sure a minority of people care since Wes took the time to make a post since it was such a frequent question. Also, the detractors to an idea are often more vocal than the supporters so the comments on this thread arent necessarily representative.

As for beating pPamela to death since shes just a woman, theY ssaid that if they implemented her shed be stealth based, so you probably wouldnt see her coming, like in the movies. And even if you did see her coming, even if shes a middle aged woman, she was fueled by rage, insabe and had no regard for her own safety. I wouldnt coubt her out in a fight against a scared teenager.

Lol @ "shes just a woman." also, there may be a minority of voices speak out here against her, that doesnt represent the bulk of fans abroad. Hell, half the kickstarter backers arent even on this forum.

1 person likes this

Lol @ "shes just a woman." also, there may be a minority of voices speak out here against her, that doesnt represent the bulk of fans abroad. Hell, half the kickstarter backers arent even on this forum.

yea I was quoting the persone above me. F13 is so full of badass girls and women. I don't understand how the idea of Pamela Voorhees killing a Jock seems so out there to some people when Jason the behemoth has been taking down time and time again by women, sometimes through direct physical confrontation

1 person likes this

Im not sure a minority of people care since Wes took the time to make a post since it was such a frequent question. Also, the detractors to an idea are often more vocal than the supporters so the comments on this thread arent necessarily representative.

As for beating pPamela to death since shes just a woman, theY ssaid that if they implemented her shed be stealth based, so you probably wouldnt see her coming, like in the movies. And even if you did see her coming, even if shes a middle aged woman, she was fueled by rage, insabe and had no regard for her own safety. I wouldnt coubt her out in a fight against a scared teenager.

I would love Pamela as a stealth-based killer who can stalk her victims and use various tools to separate them and confused them.

Because what's stopping them from going out as a big group?  How about the fact that Pamela is human.  She can sabotage your means of escape, plant traps for big groups of people (pipe bombs) and stuff.  Yeah it's a little exaggerated, but I wouldn't mind a little bit of crazy ideas... she is crazy after all.  I would love to see traps for her, and she only goes to kill people as a last resort.

yea I was quoting the persone above me. F13 is so full of badass girls and women. I don't understand how the idea of Pamela Voorhees killing a Jock seems so out there to some people when Jason the behemoth has been taking down time and time again by women, sometimes through direct physical confrontation

There's a difference between Final Girls, and the killer. Jason is a freak of nature. Even when he was alive he was pushing superhuman. Pamela is just a normal, well into her late-middle years woman. A bit stronger than the average, but hardly a beast like Jason. Secondly, think about just how much you're asking for. "If we do an entirely new mocap for her, add a bunch of new mechanics for her, adjust the game's balance for her, and spend god knows how much time making sure this all works, than we can play a character significantly less popular than the character we already have." What makes you even think this will work? Let's say she can handle one jock with a baseball bat. I think that's a stretch, but we'll roll with it. It is a game after all. What about two? Or three? Or SEVEN!? It's seven vs one. Seven people who are aware they're being hunted. Not by the all but invincible living Jason. Not by force of nature that is undead Jason. But by a mere, aging woman. A frightening one to be sure, but a normal human woman all the same. On top of that, don't you think making her stealth based would reduce her options? Jason can go full stealth, full tank, or anything in between. Pamela? It's all gonna be stealth.

In regards to the fact that the devs had to reply meaning you aren't the minority. Keep in mind that single player and bots were the most requested features. They were requested by the minority. This message was sent, not because of public outcry, but simply because people who wanted to know why they couldn't play the second most popular killer in the series deserved an answer. Simple as that.

I mean (adding onto what I said above) you could take it from something like Predator mode in Last Year that they presented.  Pamela can go into a Birds-Eye view of the map (she can't see people obviously) and booby trap various locations and cabins from there.

I mean, she's only featured in one movie.  I could see her being crazy enough to sabotage, booby trap, and all that jazz.  She may also, as someone suggested, disguise as different counselors, which from their end will look like a normal counselor, but from Pamela just look like her wearing the character's shirt.

I could also see her using a shotgun or rifle to give her an automatic advantage (no pun intended) over the counselors.

There are ways to pimp her up, some require exaggeration, and obviously staying true to the movies would be too difficult as they did not know of her killing spree.  But we can set up ways to deny counselors grouping up, so it's easier for her to pick them off one by one.  Imagine her setting up a booby trap in a cabin, rigging a gas leak inside, then flipping off the explosion with a flare gun... I could see her doing that honestly.

I mean (adding onto what I said above) you could take it from something like Predator mode in Last Year that they presented.  Pamela can go into a Birds-Eye view of the map (she can't see people obviously) and booby trap various locations and cabins from there.

I mean, she's only featured in one movie.  I could see her being crazy enough to sabotage, booby trap, and all that jazz.  She may also, as someone suggested, disguise as different counselors, which from their end will look like a normal counselor, but from Pamela just look like her wearing the character's shirt.

I could also see her using a shotgun or rifle to give her an automatic advantage (no pun intended) over the counselors.

There are ways to pimp her up, some require exaggeration, and obviously staying true to the movies would be too difficult as they did not know of her killing spree.  But we can set up ways to deny counselors grouping up, so it's easier for her to pick them off one by one.  Imagine her setting up a booby trap in a cabin, rigging a gas leak inside, then flipping off the explosion with a flare gun... I could see her doing that honestly.

Then what's the point? "If Pamela acts exactly like not her movie counterpart, she might work" How's about we don't have her? Adding all these new mechanics and FUCKING EXPLOSIONS sounds unreasonably difficult for the devs. And what you described just now? It's not scary. What's even the point if you have to change so much about her to make her work?

Ok I'm not exactly behind on the guns and explosions, but why are you against more content The Arrogant Man? I mean the devs said it would be complicated but that they might be open to going that road sometime later.

It won't take anything away from the main game, fans of Part 1 and Pamela like me will be overjoyed if it does eventually happen and if the devs do decide to make it happen, you can bet that there gonna make sure it works and it's scary and makes sense.

So if she eventually makes it in, just don't play her! And if you think that she's not scary or believable, then get cut up by her and move on to the next game bro

1 person likes this

What if you called the cops and she came behind you and called them back and said "im sorry officer,no problem here. Just a mistake." and they didnt come to help lol

4 people like this

Then what's the point? "If Pamela acts exactly like not her movie counterpart, she might work" How's about we don't have her? Adding all these new mechanics and FUCKING EXPLOSIONS sounds unreasonably difficult for the devs. And what you described just now? It's not scary. What's even the point if you have to change so much about her to make her work?

So the devs shouldn't try to attempt to implement something like this in the future because it's too hard...

In all seriousness though, what you said is completely subjective.  We can't have exaggeration now?  Is there something the matter with creativity?

Idk about you, but if I'm running through the quiet woods listening for her footsteps, and I step on a small mound and then I get blown the fuck up, I'd jump right out of my seat.  Not knowing whether your next step could be your last would scare me... but those suggestions were mostly in order to deny large groups against Pamela, which she would not be able to handle, thus it would be far more beneficial to split up.

@arrogantman your plight against Pamela's rationality makes about as much sense as us losing when the sun comes up.

The issue with your idea is simple, beyond being too expensive. If I'm the jock, and I see Pamela, I  should be able TO BEAT HER TO DEATH! That's the problem. In Friday The 13th, no one knows they're being hunted. If they did, Pamela wouldn't stand a chance. She's just a woman. I think the game does a good enough job of respecting her legacy as is. I have no desire to play her. If she was available, I probably still wouldn't play her, and I'd be annoyed as a counselor when other people did. If I was unique in this stance, I'd suck it up. But I'm not. Pamela would be waste of time and money. Like I said, I adore Pamela as a villain. She's integral to what makes Jason so interesting. She's also an unimposing woman. She CAN be made scary with tons of effort, but why bother when it seems like a minority of people care?

I really don't mean to sound dismissive, but this idea sounds ridiculous. First, it would look silly. Second, it would take MORE effort to do. Not less.

It was just an idea for how to bring her in without having to put out the full effort of making an in depth skin. Not sure how it would take more effort. I love the idea of what I posted in the pic representing her. Think of it as a metaphor for what happened in the first film. She was unknown to both the audience and the people she killed. Having her as a shadow is no more ridiculous than Jason literally teleporting in the game. We never directly saw him "teleport" but that's how they're representing it in the game. No big deal. It's the same thing here.

It's not a perfect idea, but I figured it'd be better than not having her at all. The POV (while playing as her) fits with the film, from what the audience saw, and the other players seeing her as basically a shadow figure fits with the idea of her being a mystery and completely unknown throughout. It wasn't until the very end that one person recognized her and then she finally revealed herself. My solution to the big reveal is merely a cut scene after the match has ended.

That's one less fully detailed skin they'd have to create. Like the pic I posted, it wouldn't take nearly as much effort as the Jason skins took. So all in all, I don't see what the issue is. Just base her move-set on Jason's, but give her less moves overall, make her smaller in stature, and tweak her stats so they're unique to her. Max stealth and speed. Moderate strength and durability, just not nearly on Jason's level.

I love the idea of the shadowy figure with the only discernible detail being her sweater, pants and shoes with everything else being covered in darkness. Seems spooky to me. Much spookier than seeing a little old lady in full detail running around killing people. 

It was just an idea for how to bring her in without having to put out the full effort of making an in depth skin. Not sure how it would take more effort. I love the idea of what I posted in the pic representing her. Think of it as a metaphor for what happened in the first film. She was unknown to both the audience and the people she killed. Having her as a shadow is no more ridiculous than Jason literally teleporting in the game. We never directly saw him "teleport" but that's how they're representing it in the game. No big deal. It's the same thing here.

It's not a perfect idea, but I figured it'd be better than not having her at all. The POV (while playing as her) fits with the film, from what the audience saw, and the other players seeing her as basically a shadow figure fits with the idea of her being a mystery and completely unknown throughout. It wasn't until the very end that one person recognized her and then she finally revealed herself. My solution to the big reveal is merely a cut scene after the match has ended.

That's one less fully detailed skin they'd have to create. Like the pic I posted, it wouldn't take nearly as much effort as the Jason skins took. So all in all, I don't see what the issue is. Just base her move-set on Jason's, but give her less moves overall, make her smaller in stature, and tweak her stats so they're unique to her. Max stealth and speed. Moderate strength and durability, just not nearly on Jason's level.

I love the idea of the shadowy figure with the only discernible detail being her sweater, pants and shoes with everything else being covered in darkness. Seems spooky to me. Much spookier than seeing a little old lady in full detail running around killing people. 

Here's the issue, when you shine a light right on Pamela's face and look at her up close, you'll be looking at a 3D Mrs. Gamenwatch. It'll look silly. At a distance? Sure. But she won't be killing people at a distance. Here's the other issue. If Pamela is just a tiny Kane Hodder silhouette with a Pamela sweater, what's even the point of having her?

So the devs shouldn't try to attempt to implement something like this in the future because it's too hard...

Too hard, and not a good idea in the first place.

In all seriousness though, what you said is completely subjective.  We can't have exaggeration now?  Is there something the matter with creativity?

Once again I ask, what's the point? If you have to change everything about Pamela, why have her at all? And I'm okay with exaggeration. Look at Jason's size! He's huge! Way bigger than he was in the movies.

Idk about you, but if I'm running through the quiet woods listening for her footsteps, and I step on a small mound and then I get blown the fuck up, I'd jump right out of my seat.  Not knowing whether your next step could be your last would scare me... but those suggestions were mostly in order to deny large groups against Pamela, which she would not be able to handle, thus it would be far more beneficial to split up.

That's absurd. No one except you wants to introduce guns and landmines into a Friday The 13th game. Case and point...

Ok I'm not exactly behind on the guns and explosions, but why are you against more content The Arrogant Man? I mean the devs said it would be complicated but that they might be open to going that road sometime later.

That's actually a solid point. My issue is that I (and many others) want other content. I don't want the devs to spend time and money on something that likely won't work out anyway. Maybe if they had NOTHING else on their pallet. But honestly, I'd rather have Roy.

It won't take anything away from the main game, fans of Part 1 and Pamela like me will be overjoyed if it does eventually happen and if the devs do decide to make it happen, you can bet that there gonna make sure it works and it's scary and makes sense.

Unless it sucks. That's the problem. I don't think they CAN put it in, in a way that's scary and makes sense.

So if she eventually makes it in, just don't play her! And if you think that she's not scary or believable, then get cut up by her and move on to the next game bro

I don't wanna be that guy!

What if you called the cops and she came behind you and called them back and said "im sorry officer,no problem here. Just a mistake." and they didnt come to help lol

The only thing I've heard that actually makes Pamela seem like a half decent idea :lol:

@arrogantman your plight against Pamela's rationality makes about as much sense as us losing when the sun comes up.

Okay man, you need to understand something. When they say "survive the night" they don't literally mean that Jason goes away when the sun comes up. It's just a less gamey way of saying "this game has a time limit". That's all. The sun probably doesn't even come up. It's likely just a message that says "you survived the night" boom.

And you need to understand that it still will not make sense. Surviving the night will never make sense. Yeah you got an unspoken time limit. Why? No reason. The sun came up. What happened? Who knows. Id rather something really happened that said you win or lose because ________. Not, hey its morning. You win.