73 replies to this topic

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Alright, I'll bite.

Last Year, based on what this told me, sounds like a combination of Dead By Daylight and White Noise 2.

Nothing like White Noise, from what I've seen. And as far as Dead by Daylight goes, maybe in the sense that you have to repair certain items to escape (in this case, a vehicle). But in Last Year, the characters have more depth to them, each survivor has different stats and different roles to fulfill (assault, support, scout, technician, medic). The maps seem to be more interactive as well; there's a high school, a mall, a suburban neighborhood, a summer camp (reaching back to why people call it a F13 ripoff). Plus, you can actually fight back against the killer instead of just running away or throwing a glowstick at him.

While I'm sure that F13 will be the absolute best of the three, I'm confident that Last Year will at least be better than Dead by Daylight, which is pretty much just hide and seek + murder.

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Alright, I'll bite.

Last Year, based on what this told me, sounds like a combination of Dead By Daylight and White Noise 2.

Dead by Daylight is a fast, arcadey, low graphic, high content release slasher game.

F13 is shaping up to a slower, more methodical, good graphic, Feature rich slasher game

Last Year is something in between...

It has better graphics than DBD, But worse than F13

Says its going to have 3 killers at launch like DBD... so I'm assuming an ala cart DLC focused model like DBD... (Huge negative for me)

Uses a de-spawn system for killer mobility and to set up attacks. Survivors can attack the killer like F13, but apparently the killer is going to be a LOT weaker than Jason.

And the killer will have to set up traps to separate survivors to pick off stragglers. (Might be cool)

Over all last year is low on my list of games to keep an eye on... it may be cool but i'm not holding my breath.

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

It has better graphics than DBD, But worse than F13

Does it have worse graphics than F13? As far as I can tell, it looks better. Not that I care about graphics, but you know.

Men called him Thu, and as a god*

in after days beneath his rod

bewildered bowed to him, and made

his ghastly temples in the shade.

Not yet by Men enthralled adored,

now was he Morgoth's mightiest lord,

Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl

for ever echoed in the hills, and foul

enchantments and dark sigaldry

did weave and wield. In glamoury

that necromancer held his hosts

of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,

of misbegotten or spell-wronged

monsters that about him thronged,

working his bidding dark and vile:

the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Does it have worse graphics than F13? As far as I can tell, it looks better. Not that I care about graphics, but you know.

• Nothingface likes this

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Your point. As far as I can tell, Last Year seems to have better graphics than that. Keep in mind, my internet is quite shit, so I'm not watching these videos on HD. I'm just sayin, so far, Last Year looks like it has better graphics. That's not to say F13 looks bad, or that LY looks a lot better, just that it looks a little better. Again, not that it matters much

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Your point. As far as I can tell, Last Year seems to have better graphics than that. Keep in mind, my internet is quite shit, so I'm not watching these videos on HD. I'm just sayin, so far, Last Year looks like it has better graphics. That's not to say F13 looks bad, or that LY looks a lot better, just that it looks a little better. Again, not that it matters much

I think it may look better because lighting is more varied in Last Year gameplay... Thus far in F13th we've only had night time settings... we haven't really had light in any recent videos (pre-alpha trailer doesn't count).

I could also be biased because Last Year seems to be set in a school it looks like from the footage I watched, and Friday The 13th has mostly outdoor environments.  Outdoor environments, at least to me, always look better than indoor.

But I am unsure how you can make such a determination considering the very few pieces of footage we've had thus far... It's all been indoors, and F13th has been posting various images on Twitter and also has more outdoor environments.

Simply saying it looks better doesn't cut if for me.  WHY does it look better?

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

IMO last year has decent graphics, but nothing special. The killer was the best looking texture I saw in the entire trailer, and that makes sense as the killer is the star of the show.

The However if the Digital Cabin is any indicator of what THIS games current graphics look like id say it looks a bit nicer than anything last year has put out.

The worst thing about F13 is there foliage, trees and plants look meh. Everything else has only gotten better with each pass. (and the lighting looks CRAZY good now.)

HOWEVER! The real kicker is everything that I have seen about last year has shown it in a MUCH smaller area than F13. You see similar looking hallways and corridors in every video they release.

It appears to be much more linear than F13. But that's because they haven't really released any outdoors footage OR mentioned how big there map size is. And these 2 factors are HUGELY important when measuring graphics. Its a lot easier to have good graphics on a tiny ass map than it is to have good graphics on something the size of a crystal lake map.

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

shaderaygun

shaderaygun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Honestly, I really don't eve consider graphics a major factor when buying a game. As long as things aren't an eyesore, I'll be fine.

Actually, considering how shitty my laptop is, super high graphics can be a bit of a turn off at times, as it means I likely can't play it.

"There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead. A curse on Crystal Lake, a death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse. They say he died as a boy, but he keeps coming back. Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can. People forget he's down there, waiting..."

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

It appears to be much more linear than F13. But that's because they haven't really released any outdoors footage OR mentioned how big there map size is. And these 2 factors are HUGELY important when measuring graphics. Its a lot easier to have good graphics on a tiny ass map than it is to have good graphics on something the size of a crystal lake map.

So? This isn't about why it looks better. Or what the better game is. It has better graphics. Superior lighting, superior character models, superior textures. Simple as that. It's not a huge difference, and it doesn't really matter much, but it's still the case.

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

So? This isn't about why it looks better. Or what the better game is. It has better graphics. Superior lighting, superior character models, superior textures. Simple as that. It's not a huge difference, and it doesn't really matter much, but it's still the case.

I disagree, I judge a games graphics as part of its feature set containing both quantity and scope as well as polys.

Firstly I think F13 graphically looks better. Not by much but it still looks better. At least when we look at the content in the stills that Ben has been showing off. You cant even get a good look at the character models in the video for Last Year besides the killer so its hard to judge that.

I'm unsure what game has better lighting as I have YET to see any new video footage since F13 got its new lighting tech. The stills look AMAZING.. but I'm going to need video to have an opinion on lighting. But lets be fair nether of these games are Outlast 2..

And of course NONE of this is taking into account things like Animations and total game assets.

Over all its close enough visually that I shouldn't even care. But the odds and ins like Animations/Amount of different assets in a given space and how much space all matter... A LOT.

If your games the size of a closet and the only thing in it is a vase BUT it looks photo realistic.. Id still say its got shittier graphics than a game 1000 times as big with graphics anywhere even remotely close.

But at the end of the day THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT! As neither game is done, and until the final graphics passes are in everything can change and nothing is set in stone. :D

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I disagree, I judge a games graphics as part of its feature set containing both quantity and scope as well as polys.

Firstly I think F13 graphically looks better. Not by much but it still looks better. At least when we look at the content in the stills that Ben has been showing off. You cant even get a good look at the character models in the video for Last Year besides the killer so its hard to judge that.

I'm unsure what game has better lighting as I have YET to see any new video footage since F13 got its new lighting tech. The stills look AMAZING.. but I'm going to need video to have an opinion on lighting. But lets be fair nether of these games are Outlast 2..

And of course NONE of this is taking into account things like Animations and total game assets.

Over all its close enough visually that I shouldn't even care. But the odds and ins like Animations/Amount of different assets in a given space and how much space all matter... A LOT.

If your games the size of a closet and the only thing in it is a vase BUT it looks photo realistic.. Id still say its got shittier graphics than a game 1000 times as big with graphics anywhere even remotely close.

But at the end of the day THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT! As neither game is done, and until the final graphics passes are in everything can change and nothing is set in stone. :D

Fair enough.

TheFinalGay

TheFinalGay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

I think their team went the right way not making masked serial murderers and actually making « realistic » human killers. They all look dirty and scary as sht, and they actually look scary enough but not irrealistic enough that you might encounter them in a dark alleyway. It also goes a long way in diffentiating them from Friday the 13th The Game and not seeming like a clone (regardless of who did it first, Friday is more mainstream so they would have thought Last Year was the clone).

Gameplay looks fun, graphics are phenomenal, but to me it lacks the variety of characters of Friday, the star power of Jason, the setting of Crystal Lake and the other maps and the horror movie feel of Friday. This looks like a horror game, not a horror movie that you play through.

Also I know its a selling point to some people, but the first person kills it for me. SUCH BEAUTIFUL MODELS, I wanna see them haha

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I think their team went the right way not making masked serial murderers and actually making « realistic » human killers. They all look dirty and scary as sht, and they actually look scary enough but not irrealistic enough that you might encounter them in a dark alleyway. It also goes a long way in diffentiating them from Friday the 13th The Game and not seeming like a clone (regardless of who did it first, Friday is more mainstream so they would have thought Last Year was the clone).

Gameplay looks fun, graphics are phenomenal, but to me it lacks the variety of characters of Friday, the star power of Jason, the setting of Crystal Lake and the other maps and the horror movie feel of Friday. This looks like a horror game, not a horror movie that you play through.

Also I know its a selling point to some people, but the first person kills it for me. SUCH BEAUTIFUL MODELS, I wanna see them haha

I don't know... I thought the killers were beyond boring, and not that realistic. The Slasher(incidentally the only killer I kind of like) and The Strangler look real enough, but I don't think the big one is very realistic.

• ResolutionBlaze likes this

Tim Krueger

Tim Krueger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

No? You remember the amazing Michael Duncan Clarke in "The Green Mile"?

dh_clarke-20120904073454466032-620x349.j

Or do you ever saw some pictures of really pumped up prisoners? They have a lot of time to pump up their bodys. and thats the background story of "The Giant" from "Last Year".

prison.jpg

Of course thats not the majority of  the prisoners but it is not that unrealistic as you say.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

No? You remember the amazing Michael Duncan Clarke in "The Green Mile"?

dh_clarke-20120904073454466032-620x349.j

Or do you ever saw some pictures of really pumped up prisoners? They have a lot of time to pump up their bodys. and thats the background story of "The Giant" from "Last Year".

prison.jpg

Of course thats not the majority of  the prisoners but it is not that unrealistic as you say.

They don't have disgustingly clammy skin, inhuman eyes, and aren't actually as big. Besides, possible doesn't equal realistic.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I honestly think realistic, non-masked, and human killers as an only option serve only to undermine the game itself.

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy.  Depicting realism automatically limits your game...  I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies.  Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax.  Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it...  And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting.  Normal killers are not.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I honestly think realistic, non-masked, and human killers as an only option serve only to undermine the game itself.

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy.  Depicting realism automatically limits your game...  I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies.  Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax.  Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it...  And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting.  Normal killers are not.

I agree, except for one thing.

Masked killers aren't inherently more interesting. They're just more effective for this particular genre. In my opinion of course.

TheFinalGay

TheFinalGay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy. Depicting realism automatically limits your game... I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies. Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax. Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it... And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting. Normal killers are not.

Disagree. The killers don't seem to be the stars of the show in Last year. Theyre a random janitor, ex convict and homeless guy who just wanna slash some teenage meat and I think thats more terrifying than if they tried to emulate the CULT generated by 80s masked killers.

I mean can you imagine the cringiness like hello this is bobby brown he was 12 when his mom was killed by teenagers in a drunken car accident, now he wears a spooooky mask and kills teenagers. People would SCREAM michael or Jason clone lol

I think dirty gritty random people is scary and was the right choice for Last year

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Disagree. The killers don't seem to be the stars of the show in Last year. Theyre a random janitor, ex convict and homeless guy who just wanna slash some teenage meat and I think thats more terrifying than if they tried to emulate the CULT generated by 80s masked killers.
I mean can you imagine the cringiness like hello this is bobby brown he was 12 when his mom was killed by teenagers in a drunken car accident, now he wears a spooooky mask and kills teenagers. People would SCREAM michael or Jason clone lol
I think dirty gritty random people is scary and was the right choice for Last year

But they just aren't interesting. And we've already seen masked killers in a game that were well received. The Wraith and The Trapper from Dead By Daylight were both well received. And while the game isn't good, I do like the design of the killers.

TheFinalGay

TheFinalGay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

But they just aren't interesting. And we've already seen masked killers in a game that were well received. The Wraith and The Trapper from Dead By Daylight were both well received. And while the game isn't good, I do like the design of the killers.

I understand what you mean, but I think we are both discussing the same feature, which I am finding to be a plus and you are finding to be detrimental to the game.

I like that the killers aren't « interesting » as in theyre random people who just snapped, theyre not iconic theyre just people that murder teenagers. To me, it's scarier than trying to emulate iconic masked killers.

You don't like it because you think the killers should be special and that that should show through their design, if I understand correctly? And I get that too, but I disagree in the case of Last Year. Jason and Michael terrifiy me but I can't imagine seeing them in real life. The janitor from Last Year looks like a creepy janitor who snapped, no need for more story, and I think it's cool too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users