• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

So, yesterday Last Year, which is another asymmetrical multiplayer horror game, revealed a video showcasing the Killers' ability to unspawn and move quickly across the map, invisible to the survivors. In this "Predator Mode," the Killer can set traps, activate hazards to separate the survivors, and pick a new spawn location in a tactical vantage point.

At the end of the video, and also in the latest Kickstarter update, it is revealed that the game's release will be pushed back from November 2016 to August 2017. I have to say, I'm a little relieved about this. Last Year had far more depth to it than Dead By Daylight. While it did appear to be a blatant rip-off of the concept for Friday the 13th: The Game, it had the potential to do some damage if it was released ahead. But with F13's release slated for a Beta soon this year, and multiplayer release early next year, I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about anymore.

I do kind of feel bad for the Last Year devs, though. They're probably getting flooded with complaints about the delay.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

While it did appear to be a blatant rip-off of the concept for Friday the 13th: The Game, it had the potential to do some damage if it was released ahead. But with F13's release slated for a Beta soon this year, and multiplayer release early next year, I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about anymore.

I'm confident it wasn't a ripoff, especially since it was announced first. Back when F13 was Slasher Vol:1 Summer Camp, and was more of a concept. The existence of both games seems like a genuine coincidence. Now Dead by Daylight? That's a ripoff.

• ResolutionBlaze likes this

Men called him Thu, and as a god*

in after days beneath his rod

bewildered bowed to him, and made

his ghastly temples in the shade.

Not yet by Men enthralled adored,

now was he Morgoth's mightiest lord,

Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl

for ever echoed in the hills, and foul

enchantments and dark sigaldry

did weave and wield. In glamoury

that necromancer held his hosts

of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,

of misbegotten or spell-wronged

monsters that about him thronged,

working his bidding dark and vile:

the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle.

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

I'm confident it wasn't a ripoff, especially since it was announced first. Back when F13 was Slasher Vol:1 Summer Camp, and was more of a concept. The existence of both games seems like a genuine coincidence. Now Dead by Daylight? That's a ripoff.

Summer Camp was actually announced a month before Last Year, so technically they had the idea first. Given the short timespan, though, I guess it can be said that it was a coincidence they just both had the same idea. While Dead By Daylight seems to be taking advantage of the idea of asymmetrical multiplayer horror, it doesn't appear to have much in common with either game besides the multiple survivors against one killer. DbD is pretty much just hide and seek with murder (with only two different ways to kill people, though), so it's not very concerning. It'll probably lose a lot of its player base once F13 and Last Year release.

DamonD7

DamonD7

Some kind of goober

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTavistock, Devon, UK

It felt like they would be delayed, too, I believe it's a smaller team and budget than F13th. I like their ideas and hope it does well (DbD as well), but it felt like there was still more work needed to be done yet.

AZATIONIE

AZATIONIE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationPhoenix az

just watched the footage its looking pretty nice too but I really only play on consoles so F13 still wins in my book but who knows may have to pickup a new PC because this does look pretty nice!! (side bar) kinda wondering who their legendary killer will be F13 has Jason, DBD got Micheal would be kinda cool if they did Chucky with the predator mode I can see him running around laying traps or crashing from the ceiling on top of a victim  

You can dig 1 hole 6 ft deep or you can dig 6 holes 1 ft deep, that's just murder math LOL

Tim Krueger

Tim Krueger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

@JohannFKNFaust

As it looks  your feelings betrayed you. :D

There is another sign of life from "Last Year" and it looks pretty good. The game is still in development. The release has been delayed a little bit from November 2016 to August 2017 to improve the quality and the gameplay. But what they show right now looks pretty impressive. So it is very possible that we can have both games and then we can decided which one is better or worser.

Predator Mode from "Last Year"

JohannFKNFaust

JohannFKNFaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationAlaska

@JohannFKNFaust

There is another sign of life from "Last Year" and it looks pretty good. The game is still in development. The release has been delayed a little bit from November 2016 to August 2017 to improve the quality and the gameplay. But what they show right now looks pretty impressive. So it is very possible that we can have both games and then we can decided which one is better or worser.

https://www.youtube....h?v=skZS-fviHBI

I did see this but thank you, yeah I'm looking forward to this game as well. I'll honestly play both equally depending on which I'm in the mood for.

F13%20Thing.jpg

If you add me on Steam or PSN just please let me know you plan on

playing this game otherwise I probably won't add. Thank you.  :) 

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

just watched the footage its looking pretty nice too but I really only play on consoles so F13 still wins in my book but who knows may have to pickup a new PC because this does look pretty nice!! (side bar) kinda wondering who their legendary killer will be F13 has Jason, DBD got Micheal would be kinda cool if they did Chucky with the predator mode I can see him running around laying traps or crashing from the ceiling on top of a victim  

Last Year is set in 1996, so it would be cool if they could get Ghostface, somehow. Chucky probably wouldn't be a good idea. It would be like Odd Job in Goldeneye.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Summer Camp was actually announced a month before Last Year, so technically they had the idea first. Given the short timespan, though, I guess it can be said that it was a coincidence they just both had the same idea. While Dead By Daylight seems to be taking advantage of the idea of asymmetrical multiplayer horror, it doesn't appear to have much in common with either game besides the multiple survivors against one killer. DbD is pretty much just hide and seek with murder (with only two different ways to kill people, though), so it's not very concerning. It'll probably lose a lot of its player base once F13 and Last Year release.

I meant that Last Year was announced before F13. Because it was. Summer Camp was announced first, but again, it was only a concept at the time. And DbD is dead once both these games are out.

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

I meant that Last Year was announced before F13. Because it was. Summer Camp was announced first, but again, it was only a concept at the time. And DbD is dead once both these games are out.

Since Summer Camp was Friday the 13th: The Game, just without the license, it was the same concept. Again, though, they announced first. Summer Camp just evolved into F13 once they got the license.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Since Summer Camp was Friday the 13th: The Game, just without the license, it was the same concept. Again, though, they announced first. Summer Camp just evolved into F13 once they got the license.

I'm aware! You know exactly what I meant.

CrazyRalph

CrazyRalph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
Who cares who announced first Jason kills everything.

shaderaygun

shaderaygun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Honestly, my history with Last Year has been one of continual disappointment. I backed it, thinking it would be the slasher game I always wanted... than F13 happened.

"No big deal," I thought. "Now I get two great 80's slasher games"

Then the LY devs revealed they moved the setting to the 90s... and made the killers all look boring, looking more like random homeless people than slasher movie villains. I mean, none of them even wear a mask or look intimidating.

And now they've delayed it, meaning F13 is going to come out first? I basically don't have a reason to play it anymore.

• ResolutionBlaze and The Arrogant Man like this

"There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead. A curse on Crystal Lake, a death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse. They say he died as a boy, but he keeps coming back. Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can. People forget he's down there, waiting..."

lunyspacelord

lunyspacelord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
While interesting f13 will turn out to be a better game than last year for a few reasons

1 brand recognition
Anyone who is into horror instantly can recognize Jason last year dosnt have this

2 better dev interaction

With the virtual cabin interviews with fans horror conventions livestreams and screenshots every Friday a beta And doing everything they can to please fans (singleplayer and bots and Tommy) the devs are far ahead of those running last year and it shows

3 f13 is coming to consoles

More players equals more cash equals better post launch support

GunMedia_Ben

GunMedia_Ben

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 745 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Dev interaction? 

I'm just here to tell you 'soon,' and 'more news coming.' 

Hahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHA. HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA

I mean, sup. 

• JPops, Davidt, ResolutionBlaze and 1 other like this

Gun Media Junior Producer and Community Manager

r80PnFy.gif

My Personal Instagram

JPops

JPops

Slasher

• Administrators
  • 1,932 posts

Dev interaction?

Hahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHA. HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA

I mean, sup.

Sorry Ben, this still counts as interaction. Soon or soon it's all the same lol

Posted Image

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Dev interaction? 

I mean, sup. 

You diabolical son of a... wonderful woman.

Can I has geampley plz?

• The Arrogant Man likes this

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Alright, I'll bite.

Last Year, based on what this told me, sounds like a combination of Dead By Daylight and White Noise 2.

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

@JohannFKNFaust

Looks okay.  Though the content, in my opinion, screams "Dead By Daylight Launch"

Three killers?  They better be pretty extensive then.

BUT it seems like F13th has more in terms of variety.  Three maps randomly generated?  Sweet.  Seven Jasons?  Awesome.  10 Counselors/Heroes?  Amazing.

Based on what this looks like we get:  Three killers, idk how many maps, and four "survivors".

I have no doubt it will be fun and it'll probably be nothing like Friday The 13th.  But it screams "White Noise 2" to me.

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Looks okay.  Though the content, in my opinion, screams "Dead By Daylight Launch"

Three killers?  They better be pretty extensive then.

BUT it seems like F13th has more in terms of variety.  Three maps randomly generated?  Sweet.  Seven Jasons?  Awesome.  10 Counselors/Heroes?  Amazing.

Based on what this looks like we get:  Three killers, idk how many maps, and four "survivors".

I have no doubt it will be fun and it'll probably be nothing like Friday The 13th.  But it screams "White Noise 2" to me.

Yeah, pretty much. Five survivors? That's not a lot. To be fair, they all have unique abilities and the game apparently has an extensive story. They apparently have a lot of maps, with a lot of variety, which is one thing the game unquestionably has on F13. other than that...

Also, "White Noise 2" is in early access. Not saying it'll turn out great, but it's already decent, and it isn't finished. Give it a chance.