NMErickson

Last Year Delayed to August 2017

74 posts in this topic

I disagree, I judge a games graphics as part of its feature set containing both quantity and scope as well as polys.

Firstly I think F13 graphically looks better. Not by much but it still looks better. At least when we look at the content in the stills that Ben has been showing off. You cant even get a good look at the character models in the video for Last Year besides the killer so its hard to judge that.

I'm unsure what game has better lighting as I have YET to see any new video footage since F13 got its new lighting tech. The stills look AMAZING.. but I'm going to need video to have an opinion on lighting. But lets be fair nether of these games are Outlast 2..

And of course NONE of this is taking into account things like Animations and total game assets.

Over all its close enough visually that I shouldn't even care. But the odds and ins like Animations/Amount of different assets in a given space and how much space all matter... A LOT.

If your games the size of a closet and the only thing in it is a vase BUT it looks photo realistic.. Id still say its got shittier graphics than a game 1000 times as big with graphics anywhere even remotely close.

But at the end of the day THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT! As neither game is done, and until the final graphics passes are in everything can change and nothing is set in stone. :D

Fair enough.

I think their team went the right way not making masked serial murderers and actually making « realistic » human killers. They all look dirty and scary as sht, and they actually look scary enough but not irrealistic enough that you might encounter them in a dark alleyway. It also goes a long way in diffentiating them from Friday the 13th The Game and not seeming like a clone (regardless of who did it first, Friday is more mainstream so they would have thought Last Year was the clone).

Gameplay looks fun, graphics are phenomenal, but to me it lacks the variety of characters of Friday, the star power of Jason, the setting of Crystal Lake and the other maps and the horror movie feel of Friday. This looks like a horror game, not a horror movie that you play through.

Also I know its a selling point to some people, but the first person kills it for me. SUCH BEAUTIFUL MODELS, I wanna see them haha

I think their team went the right way not making masked serial murderers and actually making « realistic » human killers. They all look dirty and scary as sht, and they actually look scary enough but not irrealistic enough that you might encounter them in a dark alleyway. It also goes a long way in diffentiating them from Friday the 13th The Game and not seeming like a clone (regardless of who did it first, Friday is more mainstream so they would have thought Last Year was the clone).

Gameplay looks fun, graphics are phenomenal, but to me it lacks the variety of characters of Friday, the star power of Jason, the setting of Crystal Lake and the other maps and the horror movie feel of Friday. This looks like a horror game, not a horror movie that you play through.

Also I know its a selling point to some people, but the first person kills it for me. SUCH BEAUTIFUL MODELS, I wanna see them haha

I don't know... I thought the killers were beyond boring, and not that realistic. The Slasher(incidentally the only killer I kind of like) and The Strangler look real enough, but I don't think the big one is very realistic.

ResolutionBlaze likes this

No? You remember the amazing Michael Duncan Clarke in "The Green Mile"?

dh_clarke-20120904073454466032-620x349.j

Or do you ever saw some pictures of really pumped up prisoners? They have a lot of time to pump up their bodys. and thats the background story of "The Giant" from "Last Year".

prison.jpg

Of course thats not the majority of  the prisoners but it is not that unrealistic as you say.

No? You remember the amazing Michael Duncan Clarke in "The Green Mile"?

dh_clarke-20120904073454466032-620x349.j

Or do you ever saw some pictures of really pumped up prisoners? They have a lot of time to pump up their bodys. and thats the background story of "The Giant" from "Last Year".

prison.jpg

Of course thats not the majority of  the prisoners but it is not that unrealistic as you say.

They don't have disgustingly clammy skin, inhuman eyes, and aren't actually as big. Besides, possible doesn't equal realistic.

I honestly think realistic, non-masked, and human killers as an only option serve only to undermine the game itself.

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy.  Depicting realism automatically limits your game...  I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies.  Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax.  Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it...  And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting.  Normal killers are not.

I honestly think realistic, non-masked, and human killers as an only option serve only to undermine the game itself.

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy.  Depicting realism automatically limits your game...  I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies.  Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax.  Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it...  And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting.  Normal killers are not.

I agree, except for one thing.

Masked killers aren't inherently more interesting. They're just more effective for this particular genre. In my opinion of course.

With video game development, you have the advantage of depicting fantasy. Depicting realism automatically limits your game... I'd rather have Ghostface make an appearance than some random nobodies. Evan Macmillan is more interesting than some dude with an ax. Masks give the killer an identity and give them more scariness because you don't know who is under it... And the fact that they use masks means they aren't normal... Not only do they act antisocial, but they dress the part... they want attention and fear.

Bottom lines is: Masked killers are interesting. Normal killers are not.

Disagree. The killers don't seem to be the stars of the show in Last year. Theyre a random janitor, ex convict and homeless guy who just wanna slash some teenage meat and I think thats more terrifying than if they tried to emulate the CULT generated by 80s masked killers.

I mean can you imagine the cringiness like hello this is bobby brown he was 12 when his mom was killed by teenagers in a drunken car accident, now he wears a spooooky mask and kills teenagers. People would SCREAM michael or Jason clone lol

I think dirty gritty random people is scary and was the right choice for Last year

Disagree. The killers don't seem to be the stars of the show in Last year. Theyre a random janitor, ex convict and homeless guy who just wanna slash some teenage meat and I think thats more terrifying than if they tried to emulate the CULT generated by 80s masked killers.

I mean can you imagine the cringiness like hello this is bobby brown he was 12 when his mom was killed by teenagers in a drunken car accident, now he wears a spooooky mask and kills teenagers. People would SCREAM michael or Jason clone lol

I think dirty gritty random people is scary and was the right choice for Last year

But they just aren't interesting. And we've already seen masked killers in a game that were well received. The Wraith and The Trapper from Dead By Daylight were both well received. And while the game isn't good, I do like the design of the killers.

But they just aren't interesting. And we've already seen masked killers in a game that were well received. The Wraith and The Trapper from Dead By Daylight were both well received. And while the game isn't good, I do like the design of the killers.

I understand what you mean, but I think we are both discussing the same feature, which I am finding to be a plus and you are finding to be detrimental to the game.

I like that the killers aren't « interesting » as in theyre random people who just snapped, theyre not iconic theyre just people that murder teenagers. To me, it's scarier than trying to emulate iconic masked killers.

You don't like it because you think the killers should be special and that that should show through their design, if I understand correctly? And I get that too, but I disagree in the case of Last Year. Jason and Michael terrifiy me but I can't imagine seeing them in real life. The janitor from Last Year looks like a creepy janitor who snapped, no need for more story, and I think it's cool too.

I understand what you mean, but I think we are both discussing the same feature, which I am finding to be a plus and you are finding to be detrimental to the game.

I like that the killers aren't « interesting » as in theyre random people who just snapped, theyre not iconic theyre just people that murder teenagers. To me, it's scarier than trying to emulate iconic masked killers.

You don't like it because you think the killers should be special and that that should show through their design, if I understand correctly? And I get that too, but I disagree in the case of Last Year. Jason and Michael terrifiy me but I can't imagine seeing them in real life. The janitor from Last Year looks like a creepy janitor who snapped, no need for more story, and I think it's cool too.

I can respect everything you're saying, but Last Year isn't shooting for realism. So why should it try to be realistic. And again, like I've said before, the killers in LA aren't exactly realistic.

Yeah but why would anyone want to play as a nobody slasher?

Again, realism limits your game. Every iconic slasher has had a part of them that makes them unique. Freddy is a burn victim, Jason is a Hockey Mask, Leatherface is a skin mask, Chucky is a doll... Each has a unique characteristic accompanied by an object or thing that makes them immediately recognizable.

I would understand if this were a dectective game or if it was trying to resemble realism... but come on, we have students that literally represent every archetype that exists, and it's done far more over the top than Friday The 13th imo. With that in mind, why would a realistic killer but a stereotypical set of kids be beneficial? They don't need to stay true to any sort of franchise... and they can expand beyond stereotypes if they wanted to. So why realistic killers?

Yeah but why would anyone want to play as a nobody slasher?

Again, realism limits your game. Every iconic slasher has had a part of them that makes them unique. Freddy is a burn victim, Jason is a Hockey Mask, Leatherface is a skin mask, Chucky is a doll... Each has a unique characteristic accompanied by an object or thing that makes them immediately recognizable.

I would understand if this were a dectective game or if it was trying to resemble realism... but come on, we have students that literally represent every archetype that exists, and it's done far more over the top than Friday The 13th imo. With that in mind, why would a realistic killer but a stereotypical set of kids be beneficial? They don't need to stay true to any sort of franchise... and they can expand beyond stereotypes if they wanted to. So why realistic killers?

ok

That didn't look like a pleasent response.

I'm just trying to bring the conversation to a close lol xd I wrote that I understood that the feature that TheArrogantMan and others didn't like was that the killers were bland, I wrote that I agreed that that was the case, but that I liked that they went that route, so I don't know why you're still quoting me and telling me I'm wrong. They're just different opinions

I'm just trying to bring the conversation to a close lol xd I wrote that I understood that the feature that TheArrogantMan and others didn't like was that the killers were bland, I wrote that I agreed that that was the case, but that I liked that they went that route, so I don't know why you're still quoting me and telling me I'm wrong. They're just different opinions

I never said you were wrong.

I may have disagreed, but I never said "I'm right you're wrong" I even ended with a question, putting the ball in your court, encouraging a discussion.

I just think, in the midst of the stereotypical characters they have offered thus far (whose sole purpose is to be bland due to the fact that they're stereotypes), that having unrecognizable, unnamed, and unmasked killers hurts the game more. That's just my opinion which I was restating.

Besides I'm not sure what else there is to discuss on the topic if Last Year. It's delayed. We've already had some discussion on that and I don't imagine going much further.

But sorry.

The Arrogant Man likes this

I never said you were wrong.

I may have disagreed, but I never said "I'm right you're wrong" I even ended with a question, putting the ball in your court, encouraging a discussion.

I just think, in the midst of the stereotypical characters they have offered thus far (whose sole purpose is to be bland due to the fact that they're stereotypes), that having unrecognizable, unnamed, and unmasked killers hurts the game more. That's just my opinion which I was restating.

Besides I'm not sure what else there is to discuss on the topic if Last Year. It's delayed. We've already had some discussion on that and I don't imagine going much further.

But sorry.

You ended with a question that, if you read my posts, I have already answered twice.

You asked, why would anyone want to play as a nobody slasher/realistic killer, and in my previous posts I had already written in 3 separate posts : 

1- They all look dirty and scary as sht, and they actually look scary enough but not irrealistic enough that you might encounter them in a dark alleyway. It also goes a long way in diffentiating them from Friday the 13th The Game and not seeming like a clone (regardless of who did it first, Friday is more mainstream so they would have thought Last Year was the clone).

2- Disagree. The killers don't seem to be the stars of the show in Last year. Theyre a random janitor, ex convict and homeless guy who just wanna slash some teenage meat and I think thats more terrifying than if they tried to emulate the CULT generated by 80s masked killers. I think dirty gritty random people is scary and was the right choice for Last year 

3-  I understand what you mean, but I think we are both discussing the same feature, which I am finding to be a plus and you are finding to be detrimental to the game. I like that the killers aren't « interesting » as in theyre random people who just snapped, theyre not iconic theyre just people that murder teenagers. To me, it's scarier than trying to emulate iconic masked killers.

I had also said in previous posts that this was just my opinion and that I understood people who wanted more flashy badass killers, but it was just not the case for me. And in your post you quoted me and asked basically why I thought what I thought since obviously unique flashy killers were better. Since I already said all I had to say about that, my answer remains : ok

I disagree, I judge a games graphics as part of its feature set containing both quantity and scope as well as polys.

Firstly I think F13 graphically looks better. Not by much but it still looks better. At least when we look at the content in the stills that Ben has been showing off. You cant even get a good look at the character models in the video for Last Year besides the killer so its hard to judge that.

I'm unsure what game has better lighting as I have YET to see any new video footage since F13 got its new lighting tech. The stills look AMAZING.. but I'm going to need video to have an opinion on lighting. But lets be fair nether of these games are Outlast 2..

And of course NONE of this is taking into account things like Animations and total game assets.

Over all its close enough visually that I shouldn't even care. But the odds and ins like Animations/Amount of different assets in a given space and how much space all matter... A LOT.

If your games the size of a closet and the only thing in it is a vase BUT it looks photo realistic.. Id still say its got shittier graphics than a game 1000 times as big with graphics anywhere even remotely close.

But at the end of the day THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT! As neither game is done, and until the final graphics passes are in everything can change and nothing is set in stone. :D

Time for me to eat crow. After seeing the newest gameplay and screenshots for Friday The 13th, not to mention the splash screen, I must say that F13 looks better than Last Year. Last Year might improve their graphics down the line but as is, F13 is the clear winner here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Last Year's killer designs are boring.

I wanted to see guys that would make me think "I'd love to see a movie about this guy". Instead they show a creepy janitor, the guy usually used as a red herring, that is so generic. And then a hobo and a large convict <_< .

I still wish it the best but I was hopping for some more interesting character design.

Idk about you guys, but the hobo looks pretty bitchin'. Not gonna lie.

Out of the 3 he's probably the best but he's still to bland for my taste.

Also I think he looks and sounds like a Hunter from Left 4 Dead.

I hope this one does well. The more, the merrier.

It feels like it might fall somewhere between the playstyle of F13th and Dead by Daylight.

I hope this one does well. The more, the merrier.

It feels like it might fall somewhere between the playstyle of F13th and Dead by Daylight.

To me there wasn't even a question of which one I'd prefer because I'm a huge F13th fan and Last Year just doesn't have the star power of a beloved series to back it, but there are three issues I have with it, with what I've seen.

1) This is a very personnal issue but I hate 1st person. It seems to fit the ambiance they're trying to create, but it's a turn-off for me.

2) It's set in the 90s, when there is really question as to the golden age of slashers being in the 80s. I get they're probably trying to differentiate themselves from F13th, but still like can you name any iconic slashers from the 90s? Only one I can think of is Scream (which I LOVE) and it represents when slashers realized they were falling behind and started making fun of themselves..

3) The character classes. In F13th, some counselors are better than others at certain tasks, but they still leave you the freedom to be able to do everything, so if you wanna break trops and be a Flirty girl brawler or whatever you can. In Last Year, each character is specifically tailored for a certain task (there's a scout, a medic, a mechanic, a fighter, etc) and that's boring to me.