NMErickson

Last Year Delayed to August 2017

74 posts in this topic

What do guys think of it, the devs thoughts, how will it do if it even gets made, and does it stack up against Friday the 13th: The Game? A lot of bad blood but it seems Last Year's makers are just carrying a grudge?

I have been intrigued with the whole situation as soon as I heard of Last Year near F13's KickStarter close. Pretty interesting story about two asymmetrical slasher multiplayer games going head to head and releasing in same time frame. I mean what's the odds of that happening, right?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9519741/horror-stalker-last-year-is-quietly-waiting-in-the-woods

Ps I'm Team Friday the 13th all the way and hoping for some groovy unlocks even as DLC especially Summer Camp Cabin Retreat, Single Player, and Offline vs Bots.

Lol, well, to be honest with you man, I chronologically mapped to the best of my abilities what exactly happened, let me pull it up for you.

http://imgur.com/a/fX5pi

Or if you don't want to click that link, here are the dates and things that happened (a straight copy and paste)-

Alright, well, depends on how you want to look at it, I'll map out the chronological order (using my knowledge of the situation) to explain this.

Oct 31, 2014 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU-UTbmlQK0 Gun Media announces Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp

Nov 4, 2014 - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastyear/last-year-5-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror/updates Last Year funding campaign starts on KS

Dec 19, 2014 - Last Year is funded.

Jan 17, 2015 - Email from James about Last Year IP Dispute Jan 17, 2015 - Feb 28, 2015 James was very friendly to us backers, trying to keep us in the light as well as telling us how the IP Dispute was going from his side.

Feb 28, 2015 - Last Year KS Update stating the IP Dispute is over and all gears are starting to move again.

Oct 13, 2015 - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/ Friday The 13th KS Funding Campaign Launched

Ending Notes: To be honest with you peeps, it's really tough to tell who is/was in the wrong, and I don't view either side as bad. I'm very glad James got through the IP Dispute and am glad that Last Year is still being worked on. I'm also glad there is a Friday the 13th Game on KS right now. But the Friday the 13th Game still has a bit more of money to go. Plus they have Stretch Goals (which are blurred right now but we'll see on a later date). So try and help out, I'm going to back F13 just like I did Last Year. I also wanted to keep people in the loop and try and organize this random chaos for everyone so no one is confused.

Edit: I should also note I made this post awhile ago, so that's why there's a small bit about F13 still needing some more funding. :P

If you want to argue either side is in the wrong, that comes down to a heavy subjective deal, and kind of silly anyways.

Point is more like is the first date span of about 3-4 days, so I wouldn't say Gun Media or James Wearing knew about eachother's projects when they first had their plans.

James Wearing just got a bit annoyed (just like anyone would) because it could easily seem like F13 franchise really only brought up making a game because of Last Year's Success on KS.

But again, sort of boils down to a subjective based thing. And again I didn't have info on all the dates in specific, such as when Gun Media's First idea got swapped over to F13 after being contacted by the F13 franchise owners, etc.

Cheers Man.

But personally, I'm waiting on both, and I plan to play both.

Double Edit: I actually just read the other thing about how Gun Media was contacted early 2015. It's still pretty close imo as far as how everything is mapped out.

NMErickson and e.txcountryboy like this

Damn man, thanks for the enlightenment. Interesting. It was all so sudden so yea I can see where it would be hard to peg anyone and competition is always good for the consumer. I'm going to be following the situation in the coming year. It's crazy we go from having 0 to 2 potential next gen old school horror slasher games like that. These are the times.

Yeah, I feel bad for James in general, but he is naive to the think that he had a unique idea. Here is the real skinny... And all of us at Gun wish James and his team the best.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/10/friday-the-13th-the-game-interview-jason-lives-again/

This question may be a little difficult to answer, but it’s been brought up to me enough times that I feel a definitive answer might be beneficial. As I’m sure you’re aware, another game with a similar concept has been crowdfunded – a game called Last Year. This game allegedly got into some legal hot water with Crystal Lake Entertainment over similarities between it and the movie franchise. Some people have been rather suspicious of this game now cropping up after Last Year‘s difficulties. Is there any chance of a resolution with the Last Year team, and how exactly do you feel about some of the badwill garnered following the dispute?

Randy: So, this one oddly enough isn’t that difficult to answer, just long. We honestly wish the Last Year team the best, but unfortunately we’ve seen some mud-slinging going on recently from James Wearing that just seems pretty unprofessional. Instead of taking the time to investigate things, or reach out to us to talk, he has taken to Twitter and other forums to issue veiled attacks. Negativity and toxicity like that just isn’t good in a creative industry, everyone needs to encourage each other. 

For James to lash out on the internet at us, it only serves to shows he has some growing to do and lacks understanding of how game development (and the creative process in general) works.

Let’s be clear, this is by no means a new idea. I’ve discussed Slasher games with friends outside of work as early as the late 90’s, and the rest of Gun has been wanting to do a game like this for years as well. Ideas are a dime a dozen, it’s the timely and quality execution of them that truly matters. It also takes a team to get behind an idea to start building it, and the world has to be ready to receive it. 

There honestly was no way to make a game like this back in ‘98, or even up through the aughts. No publisher would seriously touch anything like this, it was too controversial, too risky. You couldn’t even find independent investors that would put money into it, the time just wasn’t right.

Look back to EA acquiring Westwood Studios & Westwood Pacific from Virgin Interactive for instance, and you’ll see that the game Thrill Kill was pushing boundaries and ready to release. What happened to it? EA bought out Virgin Games and then shelved the game for all eternity. It only lives on because of the PS1 pirating scene and (likely purposefully) leaked builds. 

In the 2000s Rockstar put out Manhunt, but the pushback against those games was astronomical, a small company could not have weathered that storm. Only now is the game able to be built by a small team and the general public ready to let it come out without extreme opposition.

There are some people that see Friday the 13th vs. this little guy with a big idea. A few people rally behind him and come at us too, but it’s misguided. The issue wasn’t a small copyright faux pas either, it was downright egregious. Last Year not only had a very similar killer that wore a jumpsuit, wielded a machete, stalked Lakeside Campgrounds, and sported a hockey mask; but James also used a Friday the 13th Movie Poster in his original Kickstarter video (a fact he often omits).

At the time that Sean Cunningham and Crystal Lake Entertainment had contacted James about the copyright violation, we had no clue that we’d end up being the official Friday the 13th game. The project had been gestating for years and was in motion long before we announced Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp at Halloween last year. We even announced Summer Camp ahead of the Last Year Kickstarter going live.  No one on the team even saw their Kickstarter until it was well over a week in on it.

The whole thing is unfortunate really. I hope they can move on from the hurt they’re holding on to, build a fun game, succeed and do it again.

I actually did have an article I found added in as an edit awhile ago on the post I made. Article was roughly the same deal.

Now, I'm pratically a nobody, I'm definitely not a critic or reviewer in any real way. I'm just a guy who happened to spend one sleepless night researching and trying to line up what happened.

So anybody could do what I did, and it would be pretty cool if more people sort of take that approach to when wierd coincidences happen. I did it with a simple highschool degree (I also had a fun time doing it).

It was also something where I actually got to apply something I learned in highschool for once. Makes me feel my highschool days were a little less useless, lol.

Thanks Randy and for sharing that interview I missed the first time around. It's got to be a nuisance to deal with this every now and then so it's nice to see it done with professionalism. Sounds like theres some sour grapes over on the other side? I never knew the full story, just bits and pieces that I gathered but I noticed the comments section in Last Year's KickStarter was much different from yours. Some folks there questioning it while Friday the 13ths group had an awesome positive vibe and there was always a party going on in there with theories, ideas, etc. Got a much better understanding of the situation tonight. Thanks again guys.

Yeah, I feel bad for James in general, but he is naive to the think that he had a unique idea. Here is the real skinny... And all of us at Gun wish James and his team the best.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/10/friday-the-13th-the-game-interview-jason-lives-again/

This question may be a little difficult to answer, but it’s been brought up to me enough times that I feel a definitive answer might be beneficial. As I’m sure you’re aware, another game with a similar concept has been crowdfunded – a game called Last Year. This game allegedly got into some legal hot water with Crystal Lake Entertainment over similarities between it and the movie franchise. Some people have been rather suspicious of this game now cropping up after Last Year‘s difficulties. Is there any chance of a resolution with the Last Year team, and how exactly do you feel about some of the badwill garnered following the dispute?

Randy: So, this one oddly enough isn’t that difficult to answer, just long. We honestly wish the Last Year team the best, but unfortunately we’ve seen some mud-slinging going on recently from James Wearing that just seems pretty unprofessional. Instead of taking the time to investigate things, or reach out to us to talk, he has taken to Twitter and other forums to issue veiled attacks. Negativity and toxicity like that just isn’t good in a creative industry, everyone needs to encourage each other. 

For James to lash out on the internet at us, it only serves to shows he has some growing to do and lacks understanding of how game development (and the creative process in general) works.

Let’s be clear, this is by no means a new idea. I’ve discussed Slasher games with friends outside of work as early as the late 90’s, and the rest of Gun has been wanting to do a game like this for years as well. Ideas are a dime a dozen, it’s the timely and quality execution of them that truly matters. It also takes a team to get behind an idea to start building it, and the world has to be ready to receive it. 

There honestly was no way to make a game like this back in ‘98, or even up through the aughts. No publisher would seriously touch anything like this, it was too controversial, too risky. You couldn’t even find independent investors that would put money into it, the time just wasn’t right.

Look back to EA acquiring Westwood Studios & Westwood Pacific from Virgin Interactive for instance, and you’ll see that the game Thrill Kill was pushing boundaries and ready to release. What happened to it? EA bought out Virgin Games and then shelved the game for all eternity. It only lives on because of the PS1 pirating scene and (likely purposefully) leaked builds. 

In the 2000s Rockstar put out Manhunt, but the pushback against those games was astronomical, a small company could not have weathered that storm. Only now is the game able to be built by a small team and the general public ready to let it come out without extreme opposition.

There are some people that see Friday the 13th vs. this little guy with a big idea. A few people rally behind him and come at us too, but it’s misguided. The issue wasn’t a small copyright faux pas either, it was downright egregious. Last Year not only had a very similar killer that wore a jumpsuit, wielded a machete, stalked Lakeside Campgrounds, and sported a hockey mask; but James also used a Friday the 13th Movie Poster in his original Kickstarter video (a fact he often omits).

At the time that Sean Cunningham and Crystal Lake Entertainment had contacted James about the copyright violation, we had no clue that we’d end up being the official Friday the 13th game. The project had been gestating for years and was in motion long before we announced Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp at Halloween last year. We even announced Summer Camp ahead of the Last Year Kickstarter going live.  No one on the team even saw their Kickstarter until it was well over a week in on it.

The whole thing is unfortunate really. I hope they can move on from the hurt they’re holding on to, build a fun game, succeed and do it again.

JohannFKNFaust likes this

Thanks Randy and for sharing that interview I missed the first time around. It's got to be a nuisance to deal with this every now and then so it's nice to see it done with professionalism. Sounds like theres some sour grapes over on the other side? I never knew the full story, just bits and pieces that I gathered but I noticed the comments section in Last Year's KickStarter was much different from yours. Some folks there questioning it while Friday the 13ths group had an awesome positive vibe and there was always a party going on in there with theories, ideas, etc. Got a much better understanding of the situation tonight. Thanks again guys.

Well, specifically, Last Year started out from one guy, James Wearing.

He got understandably frustrated when a bigger franchise just happens to show up and demand that he can't use specific things. Even more so when they seemed to magically show up from out of the blue right after his success on kickstarter.

As far as what James Wearing told us backers, he specifically stated he did use the F13 movie poster and got that removed right away.

As for the other things. Well... it was more he felt he wasn't really stepping into copyrighted territory. Which, arguably speaking, it kind of gets hard to draw that line from time to time. We can definitely go back and fourth on whether or not what he was doing was stepping into the copyright area (past the poster anyways), but it's better to just sort of drop it at this point as the IP dispute is now over. Especially because it can get really subjective in multiple ways. That's why instead of me taking sides and jumping on a bandwagon where I list out all the arguements from each side, I try to keep my information as unbiased as possible. If people choose to take sides that's entirely up to them. But at the least they can be informed before they make a decision.

Plus, there's also the big fact that Wearings probably felt some aggro and intimidiation that a huge beloved franchise in his favorite genre showed up at his door one day over copyrights.

I'd hate to have a band like ACDC show up at my door and tell me I need to quit playing guitar a certain way because I make money off of it.

But yeah man, if you need me to clear something up that I might have not explained to well, I'd be happy to try. But obviously I need to respect the companies, so anything past theoreticals or obvious stuff, would need to get permission from Gun Media or James Wearing. That's why I don't have any of the killer concept art (from Last Year) on that post, cause I asked Wearing and he said he didn't want me to and it was for backers only.

I just hope James and his team do indeed move past the things and just focus on their game. Yeah, it was a bump in the road, but it's all part of a journey. I think both games can co-exist and I'm sure they'll turn out differently on their own. Also, from time to time there are games that are similar in concept that come out at the same time, most recently it was Prototype and Infamous for instance. Then, there was a point while working at Insomniac Games, where Sunset Overdrive was in production and Epic announced Fortnite. That was crazy, but you just stay the course and make what you believe is the best game you can make, and things work out. The games started looking like they'd be the same in gameplay and art style, but now Fortnite has been delayed and become something else entirely, while Sunset Overdrive is out and done.

There are so many small decisions made every day that change the game, and bigger decisions every week and month that the team must live with. Every team is different, and with every decision made you end up veering to different places pretty naturally. I'm definitely not worried about it, and I'm sure I'll play Last Year too. 

I just hope James and his team do indeed move past the things and just focus on their game. Yeah, it was a bump in the road, but it's all part of a journey. I think both games can co-exist and I'm sure they'll turn out differently on their own. 

Well, from what I've heard from the various discussions and stuff from the backer only access, I honestly do think they'll end up being two different games with some similar base ideas. And past the IP dispute and the interviews about the IP dispute, Wearing hasn't said a word about the IP dispute and is focusing on Last Year (and it's coming along nicely from what I can tell).

MagnusMKI likes this

it was more he felt he wasn't really stepping into copyrighted territory. Which, arguably speaking, it kind of gets hard to draw that line from time to time.......

Plus, there's also the big fact that Wearings probably felt some aggro and intimidiation that a huge beloved franchise in his favorite genre showed up at his door one day over copyrights.

I'd hate to have a band like ACDC show up at my door and tell me I need to quit playing guitar a certain way because I make money off of it.........

I would think that if you for example use a signature kill from another franchise, like the sleeping bag scene, it would fall under copyrights too but i could be wrong here, because as you said... copyright laws are a weird thing sometimes...

and for the ACDC example... that would mean that Gun/Illfonic would ban anyone from making a slasher game, which of course isnt happening. The F13 franchise rights holders simply are protective of anything about their property, which would be equivalent of ACDC coming to your house telling you "hey man you make rock music too, cool, but please stop using our melodies, riffs and/or lyrics"

kinda like Pharrel Williams who did exactly that (not with ACDC though) with his song "Happy". He took parts from another artists material and used them to an extend that now sees him to pay royalties to that artist.

but yeah bottom line is: copyright laws are a weird thing

(best example: Warner Bros. and the Happy Birthday song)

GuitarWolf365 likes this

Don't forget that the concept of assymetrical game was made first in Turtle Rock Studio and their game Evolve. 1v4 (hunters vs monster) This is exactly the same and Last Year also. So who's the rascal now? :) Let developers create what they want and choose the game you will like more. If the developers have a rival then they will try to make the best game. But without the rival is game always f**ked by devs. I am really excited which game will be better now. 

As a backer of both, after everything was settled the IP issue hasn't really come up since over there. It also seems like James has taken steps to make sure he keeps in his own bubble of horror tribute while trying to not step on any additional toes.

As someone who has had a lot of issues with Kickstarters and indiegogos not following through with their rewards (Just got a $150 refund from something I backed in 2012 because I decided to go to the artist's label), actually quite glad with how the dust seemed to settle on this one. Could have been just another problem in the road, now seems like we will see two unique tributes to a beloved genre of movies.

i'm PRETTY sure that assymetrical Multiplayer was there way before Evolve ;)

Yes, there was.

Technically speaking, you could go as far back as Tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons and G.U.R.P.S.

There would be 1 Dungeon Master or Game Master, and then there would be various players. One controls the world and what all there is to do, while the rest specifically control characters in the world.

Past that, any sort of juggernaut styled gamemode where one player was given lots of health and better weapons could also be considered an assymetrical as one player was the jugg and the rest were trying to kill the jugg so they could then be the jugg.

There's also infection based game modes and the sort.

I mean, straight up playing hide and seek is a kid was also assymetrical as well. So the idea/concept has arguably been around for a very long time.

My honest thought is to wish him the best and give them a shot then their game comes out (Hell I'll admit it, if I'd known about it when the kickstarter was happening, I'd of thrown money in for a key). I mean it's not like there hasn't been games out with similar ideas before, Banjo Kazooie is weirdly similar to Super Mario 64 but they both had enough unique parts in them to make them both worth playing, so I say bring it on, let's just have fun. If the gaming world has room for 84 kinds of Call of Duty, it can handle 2 asymmetrical slasher games

Randygbk likes this

My honest thought is to wish him the best and give them a shot then their game comes out (Hell I'll admit it, if I'd known about it when the kickstarter was happening, I'd of thrown money in for a key). I mean it's not like there hasn't been games out with similar ideas before, Banjo Kazooie is weirdly similar to Super Mario 64 but they both had enough unique parts in them to make them both worth playing, so I say bring it on, let's just have fun. If the gaming world has room for 84 kinds of Call of Duty, it can handle 2 asymmetrical slasher games

Well, from what I can tell you as a backer of Last Year and F13, they will probably end up being different in plenty of different ways.

One of the killer designs I actually have to admit I haven't seen anything too much like it before in horror/monster genre aside from maybe 1 or 2 places.

It sounds real interesting and I wish them the best. I just have doubts, based on past form, about it actually happening.

Would love them to prove me wrong, of course.

To be honest, I'm getting both games. No, i did not back Last Year but that was because I missed the chance. Both games look fun and I backed Friday the 13th: The Game twice, and if the Slasher Backer gets put up soon, I'll be backing it for a third time. Maybe a fourth. Why? Because I really want this game made with all the content possible and I want to get it for friends so they can play with me. I didn't get to do that for  Last Year but I would have and would have still also done it for F13.

Both games look fantastic! :D

Meh... such a shame that we can't all just get along. I'd probably be happy with both being released.

I'm pretty sure it's James Wearing who's the one not being able to get along  -_- It sucks because I too would be happy as hell with both games, I want both so I hope he puts his pride aside and finishes his game, maybe communicates with his fans and backers a bit more as team Gun does. I for one would not let something like this stop me from making a game, one day I want to make a game, but I don't know how to go about doing it.

So, yesterday Last Year, which is another asymmetrical multiplayer horror game, revealed a video showcasing the Killers' ability to unspawn and move quickly across the map, invisible to the survivors. In this "Predator Mode," the Killer can set traps, activate hazards to separate the survivors, and pick a new spawn location in a tactical vantage point.

At the end of the video, and also in the latest Kickstarter update, it is revealed that the game's release will be pushed back from November 2016 to August 2017. I have to say, I'm a little relieved about this. Last Year had far more depth to it than Dead By Daylight. While it did appear to be a blatant rip-off of the concept for Friday the 13th: The Game, it had the potential to do some damage if it was released ahead. But with F13's release slated for a Beta soon this year, and multiplayer release early next year, I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about anymore.

I do kind of feel bad for the Last Year devs, though. They're probably getting flooded with complaints about the delay.

While it did appear to be a blatant rip-off of the concept for Friday the 13th: The Game, it had the potential to do some damage if it was released ahead. But with F13's release slated for a Beta soon this year, and multiplayer release early next year, I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about anymore.

I'm confident it wasn't a ripoff, especially since it was announced first. Back when F13 was Slasher Vol:1 Summer Camp, and was more of a concept. The existence of both games seems like a genuine coincidence. Now Dead by Daylight? That's a ripoff.

ResolutionBlaze likes this

I'm confident it wasn't a ripoff, especially since it was announced first. Back when F13 was Slasher Vol:1 Summer Camp, and was more of a concept. The existence of both games seems like a genuine coincidence. Now Dead by Daylight? That's a ripoff.

Summer Camp was actually announced a month before Last Year, so technically they had the idea first. Given the short timespan, though, I guess it can be said that it was a coincidence they just both had the same idea. While Dead By Daylight seems to be taking advantage of the idea of asymmetrical multiplayer horror, it doesn't appear to have much in common with either game besides the multiple survivors against one killer. DbD is pretty much just hide and seek with murder (with only two different ways to kill people, though), so it's not very concerning. It'll probably lose a lot of its player base once F13 and Last Year release.

It felt like they would be delayed, too, I believe it's a smaller team and budget than F13th. I like their ideas and hope it does well (DbD as well), but it felt like there was still more work needed to be done yet.

just watched the footage its looking pretty nice too but I really only play on consoles so F13 still wins in my book but who knows may have to pickup a new PC because this does look pretty nice!! (side bar) kinda wondering who their legendary killer will be F13 has Jason, DBD got Micheal would be kinda cool if they did Chucky with the predator mode I can see him running around laying traps or crashing from the ceiling on top of a victim