• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

For the record - I just purchased my 2nd virtual cabin key, so I am in for the same 30 bucks most of you have paid. And I'll end up paying $40 for the game itself. So I AM supporting this game and not just complaining.

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

For the record - I just purchased my 2nd virtual cabin key, so I am in for the same 30 bucks most of you have paid. And I'll end up paying $40 for the game itself. So I AM supporting this game and not just complaining.

We know.

Men called him Thu, and as a god*

in after days beneath his rod

bewildered bowed to him, and made

his ghastly temples in the shade.

Not yet by Men enthralled adored,

now was he Morgoth's mightiest lord,

Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl

for ever echoed in the hills, and foul

enchantments and dark sigaldry

did weave and wield. In glamoury

that necromancer held his hosts

of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,

of misbegotten or spell-wronged

monsters that about him thronged,

working his bidding dark and vile:

the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle.

JPops

JPops

Slasher

• Administrators
  • 1,933 posts

You are entitled to your opinions. I just believe that you need to have a wee bit of faith and see what is planned before you make a decision on your stance.

With that said, Thank you for your support :)
  • handzen likes this

Posted Image

VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I don't mind a randomized Jason mode as long as there are custom game settings to allow players to pick to play as Jason or not.

• The Arrogant Man likes this

Forum signature violation. Please review the rules. 

DamonD7

DamonD7

Some kind of goober

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTavistock, Devon, UK

Sounds like, at bare minimum, things like that are set to be available in Custom/friend games.

This may well be more of a Quick Play kind of situation.

Ralph Wiggum777

Ralph Wiggum777

• Moderators
  • 467 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Let me put it like this - if the system is random, I do not know what kind of experience I will have when I load up the game. If I had a bad day at work, Im not feeling meek and scared and counselor-ey. I wanna get in someone's face and brutalize them. If I play GTA or Sniper Elite III, I know what kind of experience I am going to have. I'm fired up. I wanna get in there and spill some blood. How can I take that mindset into F13 when it seems like most of the time I'll end up playing as a counselor when that's the exact opposite of what I want to do? If someone is in the mood to play as a counselor, hey, awesome. I'm sure I'll feel like it too. But doing it randomly just doesnt make sense for soooo many reasons.

The clear response to this is that different games have different mindsets. That doesn't make them bad or poorly designed games though. If you get home from work and want to just shoot something in the face then you'll play something else. When you're ready to hunt or be hunted, then you'll load up Friday the 13th. No differently than if you have 20 minutes before you have to leave for work, you're not going to load up Skyrim or Fallout 4 and expect to accomplish anything major in the game.

By making Jason random it creates a sense of excitement every time you get to play as him, similar to finding the Hero icon in Battlefront. If they make the game so that everyone can choose then you're going to run into a ton of rooms with someone that's already laid claim to Jason and is just waiting for 7 counselors to join. Would you rather it be fair for everyone to have a dice roll chance at playing Jason or would you rather wait forever for players to join your room while you wait to play as Jason? The answer is obvious from a game design standpoint. The devs want people playing the game, not sitting in waiting rooms clogging server space.

My expectation is that they have some sort of counter for each player so that the more matches you play as a counselor, the higher the odds are that you'll become Jason the next match (similar to how the NBA does their draft lottery). That way, you don't run the risk of just being really unlucky and not getting to be Jason for like 15-20 matches in a row, and it can easily follow your account even when you turn it off for the night and come back the next day.

• The Arrogant Man likes this

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

The clear response to this is that different games have different mindsets. That doesn't make them bad or poorly designed games though. If you get home from work and want to just shoot something in the face then you'll play something else. When you're ready to hunt or be hunted, then you'll load up Friday the 13th. No differently than if you have 20 minutes before you have to leave for work, you're not going to load up Skyrim or Fallout 4 and expect to accomplish anything major in the game.

By making Jason random it creates a sense of excitement every time you get to play as him, similar to finding the Hero icon in Battlefront. If they make the game so that everyone can choose then you're going to run into a ton of rooms with someone that's already laid claim to Jason and is just waiting for 7 counselors to join. Would you rather it be fair for everyone to have a dice roll chance at playing Jason or would you rather wait forever for players to join your room while you wait to play as Jason? The answer is obvious from a game design standpoint. The devs want people playing the game, not sitting in waiting rooms clogging server space.

My expectation is that they have some sort of counter for each player so that the more matches you play as a counselor, the higher the odds are that you'll become Jason the next match (similar to how the NBA does their draft lottery). That way, you don't run the risk of just being really unlucky and not getting to be Jason for like 15-20 matches in a row, and it can easily follow your account even when you turn it off for the night and come back the next day.

Id rather have the OPTION to wait. Thats what I keep hammering on. Give me the OPTION to wait. If its 2 hours then so be it .... it was my choice. Maybe Ill get tired of waiting and decide bleh....Ill just play as a counselor. All Im saying is to give us the option to wait if we so choose.

CrazyRalph

CrazyRalph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
How bout the option to play the game or not.
  • Ralph Wiggum777, The Arrogant Man and MattGarcia like this

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Id rather have the OPTION to wait. Thats what I keep hammering on. Give me the OPTION to wait. If its 2 hours then so be it .... it was my choice. Maybe Ill get tired of waiting and decide bleh....Ill just play as a counselor. All Im saying is to give us the option to wait if we so choose.

Or still end up playing Jason...

of misbegotten or spell-wronged

monsters that about him thronged,

working his bidding dark and vile:

the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle.

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Or still end up playing Jason...

You're right, I COULD still end up playing as Jason in that case. All I am asking is that we are given the choice to wait or to try our luck. Nothing more.

Ralph Wiggum777

Ralph Wiggum777

• Moderators
  • 467 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

But that's my point. Server space costs money, and available game rooms are finite. The developers can't allow a bunch of rooms to sit empty because one random guy hijacked the Jason spot 20 minutes ago and is waiting for 7 counselors to join. That's clearly going to happen if you allow people to choose who they play as cause the large majority of gamers are going to naturally want to play as the iconic lead character. Those people won't join if they know right out of the gate that they won't even get a chance to play as him for at least 10 minutes or longer.

And does that really sound fun anyways? Waiting X amount of time to play as Jason ONCE and then either have to quit to wait all over again or just get thrown into the counselor group when someone else takes Jason over the next match... I get your whole "getting off work and I want to play a game" mentality, but in the same vein, I don't get off work looking forward to waiting 10+ minutes at a time to play a game either. Ultimately everyone paid to play the game, so it only makes sense that everyone have equal opportunity to play as Jason instead of rewarding those with either way too much free time or patience. In this topic there's no specific way to please everyone. Your idea would piss a few people off, making it random will piss some people off. In a no win situation though, fairness should often be the tie breaker and a randomized Jason is the only fair system.

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

But that's my point. Server space costs money, and available game rooms are finite. The developers can't allow a bunch of rooms to sit empty because one random guy hijacked the Jason spot 20 minutes ago and is waiting for 7 counselors to join. That's clearly going to happen if you allow people to choose who they play as cause the large majority of gamers are going to naturally want to play as the iconic lead character. Those people won't join if they know right out of the gate that they won't even get a chance to play as him for at least 10 minutes or longer.

And does that really sound fun anyways? Waiting X amount of time to play as Jason ONCE and then either have to quit to wait all over again or just get thrown into the counselor group when someone else takes Jason over the next match... I get your whole "getting off work and I want to play a game" mentality, but in the same vein, I don't get off work looking forward to waiting 10+ minutes at a time to play a game either. Ultimately everyone paid to play the game, so it only makes sense that everyone have equal opportunity to play as Jason instead of rewarding those with either way too much free time or patience. In this topic there's no specific way to please everyone. Your idea would piss a few people off, making it random will piss some people off. In a no win situation though, fairness should often be the tie breaker and a randomized Jason is the only fair system.

I will be honest and admit that I had not considered server space. Its the first valid reason Ive heard that would argue against giving people the option. Point taken.

And I know its going to sound like a broken record here but for some reason I feel like I am being misunderstood. Im not suggesting that people shouldnt be able to choose to play random rooms. Im just saying that people should be given all options. Meaning.....if they want to go for a random selection room then they should be able to. If they dont wanna wait then thats their best bet. If they wanna play counselor only then that should be an option. Id they wanna play Jason only then that also should be an option. Give us rooms and tools to be able to do any of those things is all I am saying.

But to your point....those people who wont join if they know theyve gotta wait that long to be guaranteed to play Jason might not even BUY the game to begin with if they know its random. Which is why I think itll hurt sales.

Ralph Wiggum777

Ralph Wiggum777

• Moderators
  • 467 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

But to your point....those people who wont join if they know theyve gotta wait that long to be guaranteed to play Jason might not even BUY the game to begin with if they know its random. Which is why I think itll hurt sales.

Honestly, the likelihood that a number of people at all would not buy the game simply cause they can't be Jason 100% of the time seems pretty low. If they really were that fickle, they could take solace in knowing the single player campaign is entirely Jason based. Either way, every developer has to make decisions that will appeal to some gamers and less so to others. I have friends that don't like Battlefield cause the maps and player count size are too much for them so they stick with 16 player CoD, and others that feel the opposite. I have friends that liked the arcadey goofiness of Tony Hawk and others that preferred the more serious tones of Skate. Game design decisions always have these sorts of consequences. I'm not saying they might not implement something like what you want, just saying that if they didn't, it would probably be because they're trying to keep the game as fair and engaging to the entire community as possible.

• DamonD7 and Nothingface like this

CrazyRalph

CrazyRalph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
Thats why it pays to research things you buy. Not just games but things in general. Knowledge is power. Find out all you can before you buy it. Simple. Like it enough to buy and play it, or upset enough at lacks in it or things that you dont like to not buy it. Not exactly rocket science.

Culp

Culp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Singleplayer Bots should satiate Jason fans. If we can untoggle Jason as a counselor preferred player that'd be great, give those who really want Jason more of a chance.

BloodOnTheRocks

BloodOnTheRocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Singleplayer Bots should satiate Jason fans. If we can untoggle Jason as a counselor preferred player that'd be great, give those who really want Jason more of a chance.

I believe it has been confirmed that we can opt out of playing Jason. Which at least IMO is better than it being COMPLETELY random. Even if I cannot choose to line up to play Jason, I definitely want to be able to opt out for those times when I just dont feel that ..... mischevious.

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

They give you the option to wait. It even comes with this fun mini game you can play while you wait called consular, it actually looks pretty fun!

In all seriousness tho, a que waiting to play Jason would feel like shit for the folks who want to DO something while waiting to play Jason. This would make it so folks willing to wait would effectively FUCK folks who want to play the from ever playing Jason and honestly sounds un-fun as hell.

• Ralph Wiggum777 and The Arrogant Man like this

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

SurvivalGirl

SurvivalGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake, sometimes ELM ST.

In the movies, Jason always plays with advantage, the counselours not because they be defenceless. Jason is bigger, "faster", stronger and he definitely act with rage. If Jason break the game, I don't know this, but I think Jason must be superior or better than counselours. The creators of this game only capture different ideas from the movies and move it to the game. Because this, play with Jason or control Jason maybe not be for everyone.

f13sig5.jpg

Sanetsuken

Sanetsuken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationNorway

From what's been explained and told, it seems to me that it'll function alot like Evolve did. Now, i played Evolve when it was brand new (beta and all). And while there were rounds where i wasn't able to play as the monster (it was first pick for me the entire time), the vast majority allowed me to play as it.

If it works as well as that, i have no issue.

Though i feel the devs should open up to experimenting more on this. The DbD system is "broken" as it is right now simply because nobody wants to play as killer. And as long as the devs don't implement the self heal/sabotage killer/usain bolt mode type of perks i don't see that as an issue.

The devs have stated they balance as much as possible (which is to be expected), but if they are really balancing it as well as they think, then there should be ample opportunity for experimenting more with how the lobby system works while still retaining the same playerbase.

DbD is dying because the balance is skewered more and more towards survivors, i'm banking that illfonic will see the importance of CORRECT balancing here.

Case in point the window changes. This is an eternal struggle in DbD, and F13 got it right in basic playtesting. They fucking fixed it right quick, whereas the devs on DbD only did a half-assed measure to sometimes maybe block a window or two which did fuck-all.

BETA GONE

RELEASE WHEN

The Arrogant Man

The Arrogant Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

From what's been explained and told, it seems to me that it'll function alot like Evolve did. Now, i played Evolve when it was brand new (beta and all). And while there were rounds where i wasn't able to play as the monster (it was first pick for me the entire time), the vast majority allowed me to play as it.

If it works as well as that, i have no issue.

Though i feel the devs should open up to experimenting more on this. The DbD system is "broken" as it is right now simply because nobody wants to play as killer. And as long as the devs don't implement the self heal/sabotage killer/usain bolt mode type of perks i don't see that as an issue.

The devs have stated they balance as much as possible (which is to be expected), but if they are really balancing it as well as they think, then there should be ample opportunity for experimenting more with how the lobby system works while still retaining the same playerbase.

DbD is dying because the balance is skewered more and more towards survivors, i'm banking that illfonic will see the importance of CORRECT balancing here.

Case in point the window changes. This is an eternal struggle in DbD, and F13 got it right in basic playtesting. They fucking fixed it right quick, whereas the devs on DbD only did a half-assed measure to sometimes maybe block a window or two which did fuck-all.

It's not just the survivor's advantage that's the problem. It's annoying to play as the killer. When you should feel like a hunter, you instead feel like the slow kid on the playground no one wants to play with, but has too anyway. So they just run around you while you play a one man game of grabass you probably can't even win.