BloodOnTheRocks

Why random Jason will break the game.

131 posts in this topic

Sam, Look up on the www.f13game.com or the kickstarter page and find Ben Strauss. He works on the game and is also the community manager. (aka GunMedia_Ben)Your question was answered and is from the source. it might not be the answer you wanted but it's still the answer. There is nothing that is being announced at this time. Anything else said is speculation as there is not an official answer being released at this time since things are still being tested. Again I am sorry you feel the way that you do but that is the answer that can be provided at this moment.

handzen and Survival like this

Not really, the post is entirely useless for my purposes. Speculation, pieced together info based on old discussions, and no credibility to the sources. Try showing something like that to someone who is dead set on their idea of how something will be, and they'll instantly shrug it off. That's why I made a simple, uncomplicated request, the point of which was clearly lost on everyone. So, hey, never mind. No point replying to this BTW, I'm not wasting my time here again.

It ain't that serious Sam. If your question was that serious, you would've probably included it in any of the FOUR posts you made just now so that one of the devs could see it and respond. Don't play the "I wanna speak to your manager" card though and threaten to leave cause of one mistake. It makes you look really petty, and anything but "savage". 

You could show the person who doesn't believe you this quote from Ben :« We have yet to talk about the overall specifics as we're testing out the system we want to utilize. When we do come to what we believe will be the best overall solution, we'll go more in depth  ». Until the beta or a few days before the beta, I'm afraid most features will remain mostly unknown, we will get a lot of surprises! 

So far you're the only one who seems to have been moderate and rational. Thank you. The problem is that I believe neither myself or the person disputing me is going to be playing the Beta. Hopefully I can find out somehow once it's open though, so may still be of some use. Thanks for pointing that out. Problem is that this guy started out giving me a ton of abuse just for pointing out that the proposed system before (and I believed was still on the table) was not "choose Jason = get Jason". Anything vague such as this won't stop his imbecilic bleating XD 

Sam, Look up on the www.f13game.com or the kickstarter page and find Ben Strauss. He works on the game and is also the community manager. (aka GunMedia_Ben)Your question was answered and is from the source. it might not be the answer you wanted but it's still the answer. There is nothing that is being announced at this time. Anything else said is speculation as there is not an official answer being released at this time since things are still being tested. Again I am sorry you feel the way that you do but that is the answer that can be provided at this moment.

No problem JPops, sorry if I overreacted. Just really hate going through a load of hassle only to get what amounts to "no comment". I get that Ben works for Gun, there's nothing being announced and all that, but all I needed was something like "currently we've been working with this system *list off a few key points*, though that is subject to change any time". I didn't even get that, so...

Anyways, I'll be leaving you to it, sorry again.

It ain't that serious Sam. If your question was that serious, you would've probably included it in any of the FOUR posts you made just now so that one of the devs could see it and respond. Don't play the "I wanna speak to your manager" card though and threaten to leave cause of one mistake. It makes you look really petty, and anything but "savage". 

Way to also miss the point. I had already asked the question. As stated, asking it here would invite people such as yourself, who I cannot use as a credible source, to join in and give me an endless stream of notifications for no gain.

I'm leaving because to me, a forum is a source of information. This one, however, does not provide any. Even when asked in plain English, the result is a Nothing answer. If you have a saw and it's too blunt to use, you stop using it.

Oh, and really mature, targeting a nickname that others gave me years ago for RL actions, to judge how I react in a forum after getting the run around and deciding it's not worth it. I guess picking at things and calling someone petty is far more savage than dropping it and leaving? You're an infantile disgrace, frankly.

So far you're the only one who seems to have been moderate and rational. Thank you. The problem is that I believe neither myself or the person disputing me is going to be playing the Beta. Hopefully I can find out somehow once it's open though, so may still be of some use. Thanks for pointing that out. Problem is that this guy started out giving me a ton of abuse just for pointing out that the proposed system before (and I believed was still on the table) was not "choose Jason = get Jason". Anything vague such as this won't stop his imbecilic bleating XD

I should have a spare beta key, mssg me when the beta drops! Ill give you one, you can take a screenshot of the lobby and shut him up lol

But ya as I said in the other thread, As far as has been revealed to the public... that means it could change. They could change the system, They could go another direction. Hell anything is possible.

Its friggen schrodinger's matchmaking at this point.

Oh, and really mature, targeting a nickname that others gave me years ago for RL actions, to judge how I react in a forum after getting the run around and deciding it's not worth it. I guess picking at things and calling someone petty is far more savage than dropping it and leaving? You're an infantile disgrace, frankly.

Ummm, you openly admitted you were being an a-hole, dude."No problem JPops, sorry if I overreacted. Just really hate going through a load of hassle only to get what amounts to "no comment"." All I did was make a comment calling you out on your over-the-top behavior, while using your name for humorous effect. It's a video game forum bro. No matter what your question was, it ain't four overly aggressive posts serious.

That still sucks for me. If I get Jason and you ragequit....you get penalized which ticks you off. I have one less person I get to kill. The rest of the counselors have one less person to either help them or lure me away from them. So EVERYONE gets penalized. Everyone gets negative effects. Which are easily avoidable if they simply allow people to queue up for Jason as I have suggested multiple times. There IS a good way around it.

If that really happens that after i quit, cuz i dont wanna play as Jason. If the game penalize me, in any way. Locking out from entering the que for 1,2,3 5 min, whatever now. i 'm definitly going to cancel my preorder

If that really happens that after i quit, cuz i dont wanna play as Jason. If the game penalize me, in any way. Locking out from entering the que for 1,2,3 5 min, whatever now. i 'm definitly going to cancel my preorder

If you're not a troll, I'd recommend posting your introduction in the introduction thread.

This is exactly the reaction I expect from a great many players and one of my greatest concerns about a random system.

That said - you SHOULD be penalized for a ragequit. Because it detracts from everyone's experience. Yes it is going to piss you off and probably turn you into a troll. Which even further detracts from everyone's enjoyment. You wont be the only one. Which is why I hope the devs allow us to queue up to play Jason.

Still not cool to expect to be able to quit and ruin a game for everyone else and not expect to be penalized.

This is exactly the reaction I expect from a great many players and one of my greatest concerns about a random system.

That said - you SHOULD be penalized for a ragequit. Because it detracts from everyone's experience. Yes it is going to piss you off and probably turn you into a troll. Which even further detracts from everyone's enjoyment. You wont be the only one. Which is why I hope the devs allow us to queue up to play Jason.

Still not cool to expect to be able to quit and ruin a game for everyone else and not expect to be penalized.

Assuming that if Jason quits/DC's, A new Player gets Jason. And that players will be able to opt out of playing Jason all together if they don't want too... The players that only want to play Jason will have a higher chance than previously thought.

The problem comes down to players trying to dodge games until they get Jason. This can be solved by making it so that every time a player dodges a game they get a stacking penalty reducing there chance to get Jason. This would effectively make dodging for Jason pointless, as after one dodge your the lowest priority to get him.

If players are willing to quit or cancel pre-orders because they don't get what they want or are punished for trying to be a scum bag... let them. The game cant revolve around one player.

In DBD there was always a shortage of killers and while this seemingly would play into the hands of the Devs making Jason random I think there is a solution for everybody.

If you're the type who always wants to play killer in these games then you're usually in two frames of mind while playing, either you're happy and enjoying wiping the floor with victims or you're getting increasingly frustrated and ragey over a group of people who now how to escape. 

Now I'm not too sure about counselor types but I would hazard to guess they like the adrenaline rush of being frightened and the challenge of escaping while working as a team.

Of course you have people who just treat it as a game and probably don't care either way. Oh yeah and then there's the trolls but the less said about them, the better.

Now, from my experience in DBD killer mains were always in short supply even without the constant stream of game wreckers who were dodging matches. This  would suggest to me that most people do prefer playing as the victim which leads to an imbalance in population.

So the solution could be to let whoever wants to be Jason host a game locally until the population is balanced and then if you still want to play as Jason then you can wait for 30 mins to hours if you want to.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no interest in playing as counselor and I've seen players be Jason 2-3 times on a server without me even getting a turn. I think the current system will affect the game adversely.

I've got a couple of friends who would like to opt out of playing Jason. We just roll dice and manually assign who is Jason.

ye I don't like playing priv matches though, i like pub games

I think the inclusion of single player missions and vs Bots mode as Jason will nerf people's desire to play as Jason somewhat when this is implemented in summer 2017.

You can play as Jason anytime then, playing as a counselor will be an online novelty only. So it will help to balance this issue.

I think the inclusion of single player missions and vs Bots mode as Jason will nerf people's desire to play as Jason somewhat when this is implemented in summer 2017.

You can play as Jason anytime then, playing as a counselor will be an online novelty only. So it will help to balance this issue.

m8, comp-stomping is sooooo 1999... i haven't been able to play vs AI in almost 20 years

Agree, there is no reason to not let us queue as what we want, people arguing it will make matchmaking slower can just hit quickplay and the "there will be less counsellors" excuse is silly because those players you are losing clearly don't want to play counsellor given the choice not too, this way every slot is filled by someone that wants to be in it and nobody is left out, having only quick play doesn't "please everyone" as the devs say they are trying to do because the jason-only's and counsellor-only's are left out, but with choose-able sides nobody is left out and queue time isn't sacrificed since quick play is still there, the people arguing against it due to queue time clearly have no issue with hitting quick play anyway so they will be unaffacted.

Look, we get it. You want to play as jason. In most rooms though, so do the other seven players. You didn't buy a special edition "exclusively Jason" copy of the game, and everyone deserves a fair shot at being him without having to hop into quick match after quick match because someone else has already stolen the Jason seat. Just accept that a random Jason is the only fair way to implement the system, and hope that they implement some sort of system in the final release that allows those that don't want to be Jason to opt out so it increases your chances of playing as him. Clearly most here have never had kids, cause the "my wants are more important than their wants" attitude is strong in this thread....

Absolutely doesn't break the game at all.  I think an interesting mechanic that could be added to matches would be "voting" to  play as which character you want to be, which the game randomly chooses who you'd be from that, but I don't think letting people choose to ONLY play as jason (or only as counselors) really makes sense at all in terms of normal matchmaking in a game.

bewareofbears likes this

The idea behind random Jason in quick play is to avoid someone constantly hogging Jason at every turn. It's balanced and doesn't allow anyone to hog one side of the game.

During the beta, if you notice when you chose private match, the host could choose who plays as Jason. Now, I can't speak for everyone ... but I'm fairly certain that if you're playing in a private match with friends, as host ... you should probably share the role of Jason.

I played several games with people on private match and we had a fairly easy method. Host would screenshot his/her player list and go down the list giving everyone a turn to play as Jason. Anyone who was not interested in playing Jason (and there were some) simply spoke up and they weren't added to the list of Jason players.

On the 'quick match' side of things, you're playing with random people each time and unless you happen to end up being randomly selected as game host, you aren't going to end up playing as Jason anyhow. And there is nothing preventing a player from hogging Jason, or nothing to make them have to share that role.

Not to mention that matchmaking will take far longer as you'll have to be connected and reconnected until you find a group where everyone isn't trying to be Jason. How many players do you think DON'T want to ever play as Jason? Because unless that ration is 7/1 across the board, you'll be spending much more time waiting and less time playing.

Random Jason in quick play is perfect how it is. If you want to choose who is Jason, private match is the way to go.

Mr_Trapper likes this

I personally love the random choice, it means you might not get someone who only plays as Jason and wipes all the players in an eye-blink which is just frustrating. In the beta, I was thrilled when I was chosen to be Jason, it was my time to shine and I was grateful for the opportunity, but I loved playing as Chad just as much.

It'll be a big pain in the ass when people just sweat-out playing as Jason, and make a lobby just to do the same thing in the same style with the same cheap tricks over and over again.

SHODANFreeman and dmack621 like this

I would definitely encourage people to try to embrace playing as counselor. The fact that you are not always playing as Jason makes it more special when you finally do get to play as him. Even if you add more of a system for choosing between Jason and a counselor, you're probably going to be underwhelmed at the results because I think most people are going to be opting for a chance to play Jason. I think they do have something planned to address all this, though.

​In the Beta we always solved this issue by playing private matches and trying to accommodate people who had special requests to play Jason or who were complaining about not having played him in so long.

There's private matches for that. It's fine as is. It brings variety and keeps the games going. If you are unable to create a private match then that's on you.