FlashFrame

Progressive Weather?

100 posts in this topic

Weather is doable, sure. Is it doable for our team with our budget? We're looking into it still. We want to get that all in there, but its not something we're saying yes or no to just yet. 

Any updates on this? I didn't hear anyone at Pax ask the question. 

Any updates on this? I didn't hear anyone at Pax ask the question.

Maybe even rumbles of thunder in the distance on occasion??????? That seems easy enough to add!?!?

TWarner likes this

Optional weather package: storm cd, fan, spray bottle, kid to turn lights on and off*

*this is a joke. Weather would be a great addition to the game if possible.

This is actually the thing I want in this game the most. Rain and storms is very frequent in the horror genre especially Friday the 13th and I it would make a huge difference visually. I really hope they can make it happen at some point down the road.

There was definitely flashes of lighting in the series without rain (which is the hard part to program). I can't off the top of my head remember in which film...Part VII? Just some flashes of lighting and a few thunder claps would add to the atmosphere. I hope the devs put it in. Rain isn't needed at this stage.

It would probably be easy enough to make it rain and lightening flash, but then you have to add in wet characters, mud, mud splatter, puddles, footprints, etc, etc..... I could see where it could be way easier said than done.

I hope someone asks a question about weather at one of these panels because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned. But I could have missed it.  Uh Oh jpops is reading this :unsure:

I hope someone asks a question about weather at one of these panels because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned. But I could have missed it. Uh Oh jpops is reading this :unsure:

Hey, I like the idea of weather effects also. I do not think anyone is actually against them. It would be awesome but there is a lot that goes into pulling it off such as how the environment and characters react plus adding a wet look to everything. A lot of considerations need to be made. Would it be cool? Yes, but time will tell if this is actually something that can be made into a reality.

Hey, I like the idea of weather effects also. I do not think anyone is actually against them. It would be awesome but there is a lot that goes into pulling it off such as how the environment and characters react plus adding a wet look to everything. A lot of considerations need to be made. Would it be cool? Yes, but time will tell if this is actually something that can be made into a reality.

Agreed, I was just wondering if the question has been directly addressed at any of these panels. 

I can't remember it ever being mentioned by any of the panel or by questions from the audience. Think I've watched all the Pax (and E3) streams.

I feel it's likely in the "look at it after release" category. It's not a straightforward re-skin job, at all, so would need extra time and budget to do.

Of course, would be cool.

Saw someone else posted new topic and his thread got locked, so I thought I'd reply to it here.

Old-school rain effects aren't necessarily resource-intensive by current standards. You don't have to do fancy particulate rain, just add some extra rain textured transparent polygons around in the air (that are always angled facing the camera) and some raindrop splash objects randomly scattered. You know, the way games did it 10 years ago.

Just like you can do old-school fog without having to do volumetric fog. Silent Hill 2 showed that you can do really nice fog effects on modest hardware (well on the PS2 version and not the crappy ports anyway, all of which somehow managed to have worse fog effects on more powerful hardware).

Ben said earlier in the thread that they are "looking in to it"

--- translated --

It will be in the game eventually.

These guys have done a fantastic job thus far and inclement weather is a staple of the series.

Just thinking out loud here,

But if rain was to have a dynamic effect on game play, i.e. Slipping, falling, slower running, etc, it could lead to new strategies in terms of avoiding Jason.

When raining, maybe leap frogging into cabins would be a better strategy than simply sprinting. Looking at the beta videos, it seemed as though the counsellors had the advantage when running in the open. Maybe they would be at a bigger disadvantage when it's raining. As a balance, maybe Jason becomes easier to stun or knock down when it is raining than he is when its dry.

Just spitballing here.

Just thinking out loud here,

But if rain was to have a dynamic effect on game play, i.e. Slipping, falling, slower running, etc, it could lead to new strategies in terms of avoiding Jason.

When raining, maybe leap frogging into cabins would be a better strategy than simply sprinting. Looking at the beta videos, it seemed as though the counsellors had the advantage when running in the open. Maybe they would be at a bigger disadvantage when it's raining. As a balance, maybe Jason becomes easier to stun or knock down when it is raining than he is when its dry.

Just spitballing here.

I think the rain should nerf Jason's sense ability for noises (but not for sensing fear). Maybe dramatically reduce the effective range (the "net" the developers spoke of, maybe make it half or a third the diameter of what it would be at that given time?) Or you could implement it by just giving all the characters a stealth buff.

That would be a good tradeoff for nerfing counselors' movement. Everyone who sprints outdoors stumbles 10x as much, stumbles 3x as much while jogging. Walking and crouching unaffected. This nerfs Vanessa but actually gives her some stealthiness, so she doesn't have to be constantly running away from Jason. For AJ it would make her essentially undetectable outside of visual range, but if she fails to stay hidden she's pretty much toast as she has to sprint to get any sort of speed in normal play.

I think the rain should nerf Jason's sense ability for noises (but not for sensing fear). Maybe dramatically reduce the effective range (the "net" the developers spoke of, maybe make it half or a third the diameter of what it would be at that given time?) Or you could implement it by just giving all the characters a stealth buff.

That would be a good tradeoff for nerfing counselors' movement. Everyone who sprints outdoors stumbles 10x as much, stumbles 3x as much while jogging. Walking and crouching unaffected. This nerfs Vanessa but actually gives her some stealthiness, so she doesn't have to be constantly running away from Jason. For AJ it would make her essentially undetectable outside of visual range, but if she fails to stay hidden she's pretty much toast as she has to sprint to get any sort of speed in normal play.

I agree, I made a big post in a thread I started before a mod showed us this one that basically said the same

This was my post in that thread.

A nice addition would be a map or two where it rains and or storms.

It would add to the spooky atmosphere.

Increase stumble/trip frequency.

Possibly add in a "slip" anmation where a player will actually slide and fall down.

Storms with lightning that have effects of any combination of the following:

Jump scare

Spotting counsellors from afar in the flash

Spotting Jason from afar in the flash

Impairing Jason's ability to "hear" counselors

Impairing the counsellors music and "Jason is near" cues

Activating the "white noise" "Jason is near" effect with the lightning as a false cue.

Lightning actually striking Jason, impairing him momentarily.

Lightning striking a counselor (not sure about this one).

Possibly add in a dynamic sense where rain happens at random on any map at any given time or not at all, adding different effects as it occurs.

TWarner likes this

In time it would be a nice addition. Weather is a staple in most horror movies but it was a constant in F13 Movies and a vital part of the atmosphere.  I say patch it later if it can be done because I wouldn't want this to delay the game further.

Cherina likes this

In time it would be a nice addition. Weather is a staple in most horror movies but it was a constant in F13 Movies and a vital part of the atmosphere.  I say patch it later if it can be done because I wouldn't want this to delay the game further.

I don't think *anyone* expects any suggestions to be implemented for launch! The launch version is basically done and only the most minimal tweaks needed to pass certification are going in. Obviously any feature discussions at this point are for down-the-road.

Here's hoping we get a release date announcement this week! =D