FlashFrame

Progressive Weather?

100 posts in this topic

So one of the things I was thinking about after re-watching a few of the films, was the connection of Jason to "a force of nature" [and his mother, admittedly]. In almost every film, after a kill or two, a storm blows in.

I was wondering if there were plans to reflect this? I know Unreal Engine can do nice weather effects, but I'm not sure if the dev's have really considered this aspect [understandable, since we want a good, functional game first.] For me, the encroaching rainstorm has always been a huge part of the ambiance of the films and setting.

Anyone else want a rainstorm that rolls in as the match progresses?

Venger and The Razor's Edge like this

I think I've seen a tweet where they say they're not going in a direction of day/night because of processing power. Maybe the rain and everything is along the same lines? I know they want to make the game accessible to as many people as possible.

That said, I would love to see some rain at least. Dark, rainy night with a bolt of thunder every once in a while would be awesomely immersive!

I hope someone with more info can chime in. 

FlashFrame and Honkytonkgamer like this

I think I've seen a tweet where they say they're not going in a direction of day/night because of processing power. Maybe the rain and everything is along the same lines? I know they want to make the game accessible to as many people as possible.

That said, I would love to see some rain at least. Dark, rainy night with a bolt of thunder every once in a while would be awesomely immersive!

I hope someone with more info can chime in. 

Not having day/night makes sense, considering most of the action in F13 takes place at night. [though a late afternoon to late night cycle would be appreciated, I totally understand the tech limitations.]

That being said, at least variants of the maps with rain would be hugely appreciated... though I know at that point you have to change shaders to look wet and all. And transitioning from outside[wet] to inside [dry] might be a tough thing to pull off.

Still, again, would be awesome... I'm not exactly fimilar with Illphonic and Gun Media's prior track record with games, so I can't really attest to their dev skill. It's just one of those small aspects to Friday the 13th that adds to it's immersion factor, and is kinda a major part of the franchise.

Absoluttion likes this

Not having day/night makes sense, considering most of the action in F13 takes place at night. [though a late afternoon to late night cycle would be appreciated, I totally understand the tech limitations.]

That being said, at least variants of the maps with rain would be hugely appreciated... though I know at that point you have to change shaders to look wet and all. And transitioning from outside[wet] to inside [dry] might be a tough thing to pull off.

Still, again, would be awesome... I'm not exactly fimilar with Illphonic and Gun Media's prior track record with games, so I can't really attest to their dev skill. It's just one of those small aspects to Friday the 13th that adds to it's immersion factor, and is kinda a major part of the franchise.

I 100 percent share your sentiment. Just imagining it seems really awesome and I'm really glad that you brought it up. I hope to see at least some rain in the game it definitely gives it more of an F13 vibe

I could see maybe a progressively worse storm as players are killed. One kill and the wind starts picking up, masking Jason's footsteps. After 3 kills, a light drizzle, maybe distant thunder. Last person standing? Full on raging storm, with bright flashes of lightning and loud booms of thunder.

I could see maybe a progressively worse storm as players are killed. One kill and the wind starts picking up, masking Jason's footsteps. After 3 kills, a light drizzle, maybe distant thunder. Last person standing? Full on raging storm, with bright flashes of lightning and loud booms of thunder.

This is exactly what I picture in my mind. 

DeadManJoe likes this

It was something about the game engine not handling dynamic lighting changes well. So weather progression wasn't looking that possible.

I suppose a map with a set different kind of day/weather isn't out of the question, though, even if straight night time is the favoured standard.

They said they will be as true to the films as possible so I would have to believe that Weather will be interpreted as it is in the films. it's as crucial as Nudity and I know that has been asked and answered in previous posts. I personally would like to see some winter effects or a map to reflect this. Thunderstorms and Rain have to be in the game as it will just add to the level of fear for the players. 

The issue here is limitations inside of the unreal 4 engine. Unreal does not handle weather effects all that well. There are certain expectations in a sense of realism with certain weather and if that can not be achieved it will not be implemented if there is a patch to the engine that easily allows for weather to function as intended it is possibly something that could be added later. It's certainly not due to the fact that it is not wanted by the team.

Thebest41 and ResolutionBlaze like this

The issue here is limitations inside of the unreal 4 engine. Unreal does not handle weather effects all that well. There are certain expectations in a sense of realism with certain weather and if that can not be achieved it will not be implemented if there is a patch to the engine that easily allows for weather to function as intended it is possibly something that could be added later. It's certainly not due to the fact that it is not wanted by the team.

You say it doesn't handle weather well but that doesn't make the implementation impossible does it?

Yeah, doesn't sound impossible and could be a future feature.

Just something that may take a large amount of time (and therefore money) to solve a fiddly problem, that at this stage is going to be better spent on other things.

This is just my speculation, mind.

You say it doesn't handle weather well but that doesn't make the implementation impossible does it?

The only way weather would be possible would be if epic patches unreal with an update that handles weather elements. It could very well happen as the engine continues to grow. I think realistically that is something down the road if implemented.

I obviously don't know anything about designing but I would think by now they (they "who ever they are" lol) would make it (the unreal engine) do weather

It's Epic games who created the unreal engine. It's not impossible to make weather effects it's just not where it should be at. Unreal is a constantly growing engine and there may be a solution sooner than later hopefully.

I obviously don't know anything about designing but I would think by now they (they "who ever they are" lol) would make it (the unreal engine) do weather

Wes said they are trying to think of a way to add weather in but with unreal its very hard to do.

Ah weather is too risky.   nighttime is really enough for the weather stuff.  adding progressive weather would take a direct hit on things like performance, framerate, lag, etc. plus a lot of people in open world games and stuff really complain about stormy weather, rain, even fog.  people might as well be more concerned if nighttime will be realistic dark enough.   maybe with the procedural map stuff, and different modes, there could be a more hardcore dark nighttime version of the map, though yeah who knows.

Ah weather is too risky. nighttime is really enough for the weather stuff. adding progressive weather would take a direct hit on things like performance, framerate, lag, etc. plus a lot of people in open world games and stuff really complain about stormy weather, rain, even fog. people might as well be more concerned if nighttime will be realistic dark enough. maybe with the procedural map stuff, and different modes, there could be a more hardcore dark nighttime version of the map, though yeah who knows.

Why would people complain? If it was a non stop event it could be annoying but occasional storms would be realistic;)

Why would people complain? If it was a non stop event it could be annoying but occasional storms would be realistic;)

Some people only care about a few things in games and I would not call them gamers I consider them more techies. They are only happy with highly polished graphics, 60 FPS, 4K output and if something affects it then it's the end of the world.

I like to consider myself a gamer, of course I am always impressed with really polished graphics but give me a fun 2d side scroller and if it's good I'm a fan.

It's a matter of tastes.

Mark K likes this