Subjectivity

Favorite Horror Movie?

56 posts in this topic

by the way... i mentioned that Tom Savinis Night of the Living Dead remake was my zombie movie, to that extent, that i recreated the end credits with screenshots from my THE LAST OF US playthrough, using the music and art style of the films credits. it was also my first test with a new editing software and my first venture in more than just cutting out the part of a video i wanted to use

Wow, great job! I love TLOU. My Service Dog's name is Joel. :P He's my apocalypse partner, haha!

Friday the 13th (All)

Halloween Series (Originals)

Bram Stokers Dracula

Universal Monsters

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Nightmare On Elm Street

Jaws

Lost Boys

It

Sometimes They Come Back

Sometimes They Come Back Again

Evil Dead 1 & 2

Army Of Darkness

Hatchet 1, 2, and 3

The Exorcist

Poltergeist

and many more.

So a lot of people dig some comedy in their horror? I guess the combination does go back a long way, though I'm not sure how often the comedy was intentional, but I see a lot of Evil Dead, Friday the 13th Part VI (which I think was the very last one I saw all the way through) Hatchet and Brain Dead. Part VI seemed a little out of place, as Kane Hodder mentioned trying to stay serious even in Jason X, Jason's always been a humorless character so I think it's a more difficult fit than it is in other series like Evil Dead, where Bruce Campbell makes it feel completely natural. Thanks for the lists, everyone!

Tommy Jarvis likes this

So a lot of people dig some comedy in their horror? I guess the combination does go back a long way, though I'm not sure how often the comedy was intentional, but I see a lot of Evil Dead, Friday the 13th Part VI (which I think was the very last one I saw all the way through) Hatchet and Brain Dead. Part VI seemed a little out of place, as Kane Hodder mentioned trying to stay serious even in Jason X, Jason's always been a humorless character so I think it's a more difficult fit than it is in other series like Evil Dead, where Bruce Campbell makes it feel completely natural. Thanks for the lists, everyone!

I just watched hatchet for the first time. Marcus has some of the funniest lines i'm glad him being the black guy wasn't the first one to be killed.

final_guy likes this

Jaws, Halloween 3 (just kidding) 1+2, f13 pt.1,2,6,7...remake I liked the updated feel. This is really hard I guess it depends on my mood...sometimes Hellraiser series or Phantasm movies....Nightmare on Elm street 3 is my favorite of that series and I think it's because the crazy scenes of tongue beds, marionettes, wizards and punk chicks... just depends but def. First 7 are faves I could watch over and over.

after re-reading all the posts here and being reminded of so many great horror movies... i still have to go with the original EVIL DEAD

Halloween 6 Curse of Michael Myers has always been my favorite. The last Halloween with the late great Donald Pleasence. If you want me to get specific as to which version I prefer I'd say the TV or Director's cut. TV version cause it was like a hybrid cut of both the theatrical and producers cuts. The director's just had that dark and gritty grunge like score to the film. Growing up in the 1990's grunge was king.

John Carpenter's Halloween would have to be my all time favorite horror movie. I always kind of viewed Jason as the "cool" slasher, and Michael was the one that really scared me. F13 Part 6 would probably be my all time favorite from the series, but Part 2, then 3 scared me the most as a child!

Here i will just copy and paste this from my profile, as i said i can't list a straight favorite since there are so many great horror movies that cross many subgenres so here is my list of a few and their subgenre catagory...

Favorite Horror Films (by sub genre)

Slasher - Halloween (original)

Classic Monster Movie - Bride of Frankenstein

Werewolf Movie - American Werewolf in London

Vampire Movie - Spanish Dracula

Alien Movie - Alien

Horror Comedy - Evil Dead 2

Ghost Movie - Poltergeist (original)

Demonic Possession Movie - The Exorcist

Zombie Movie - Dawn of the Dead (original)

Found Footage - Cannibal Holocaust

Horror Remake - David Cronenberg's The Fly

Creature Feature - Gremlins

Guilty Pleasure - Manos: The Hands of Fate

Again thats far from a difinitive list, there are still a few subgenres i didnt even list but that will give yall the gist of it.

Favorite Horror Films (by sub genre)

Favorite Slasher Film: Friday the 13th Jason Lives

Favorite Werewolf Film: An American Werewolf in London

Favorite Vampire Film:  Interview with A Vampire

Favorite Alien Film: Predator

Favorite Demon Possession Film: The Exorcist

Favorite Classic Horror: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Favorite Demon Film: HellRaiser

Horror Comedy - The Lost Boys

Ghost Movie - The Conjuring

Zombie Movie - The Walking Dead (I'm Sorry, that's just Top Shelf there!)

Horror Remake - David Cronenberg's The Fly

Creature Feature - Cabin In the Woods

Guilty Pleasure - ? When I think of it I'll edit it in lol

In terms of quality, either The Shining or Silence of the Lambs, though the latter is only horror in certain scenes

In terms of what horror film I like watching the most... Friday the 13th Part VI. To me, Jason Lives is the epitome of Friday the 13th as a franchise. It's campy, it's fun, it's spooky, it's got a nice gothic feel to it, has great deaths and an over all sense of fun to it. It's the perfect slasher movie. Just a shame the other zombie Jason movies couldn't deliver on Jason Lives' promise.

Friday the 13th the complete movie series ,Hellraiser,Childs Play,Angel Heart,The Skeleton Key,The Conjuring,Annabelle,House by the Cemetery,Halloween complete movie series .

It's hard finding decent paranormal/ghost horror films in my opinion... especially when the revelation half way through nowadays usually turns into "It's not a ghost, it's much worse... it's a demon" DUN DUN DUUUUN!

A good early 80s classic that ranks high on my list is The Entity, that film definitely has its moments.

The Entity is great.

And one of the best horror movies of the last few years has supernatural elements too, though i would rather count it as a psychological thriller: The Babadook

Just a list of all the horror franchises i enjoy in no particular order

Nightmare on elm street

Halloween

Leprechaun

Chucky

Scream

Friday the 13th

Hatchet

Final destination

Saw

Species

Anaconda

Lake Placid

Paranormal Activity

Wrong Turn

Urban Legends

It depends on the genre....I like Predator 2 for sci fi/action/horror elements. I like The Thing for straight up suspenseful sci fi goodness. I like Alien because it's the ultimate terror in space. I like Jaws the best because it's so impacting on everything. I like Critters because it's got great comedy mixed with horror. I like for slasher movies - I'm huge on The Prowler, and Hatchet as a series. But if I had to pick a Friday - it would be Part VII, just because everything was perfect telekinesis, and a sick design for Jason, and more.

If I had to pick a favorite Psychological Horror - it would be the Babadook, etc etc etc etc etc. It just depends on my mood, and what I am into. I love pretty much the vast majority of horror movies I see. But some genres such as Sci Fi, Nature Attacks, and Slashers stand out to me more so. If we're talking about those three areas there's not a movie in those genres I don't dislike.

Excluding "Friday the 13th" and "Halloween"....I'd have to go with either the original "Amityville Horror", "My Bloody Valentine", or "The Fog"....."Children of the Corn"........Right now at this very moment my favorite horror movie would have to be "Friday the 13th Part 2!"