Laphin

Jason Takes Manhattan Map Pack & A Message To The Team

46 posts in this topic

First of all before I begin my quick idea...

I have to tell you folks at Gun Media, as well as the entire Friday the 13th movie team.

I have been a huge fan of this series since I was 6 years old.  The various Friday movies used to come on T.N.T. and USA channels (censored/edited) of course.. but it was these moments that Jason first scared the shit out of me and gave me nightmares... I was a kid who lived in a small suburban neighborhood, looking out his window, expecting to see tall lumbering Jason walking down my dimly lid road in the evenings..  imagining that if I did see him walking down the road, he would keep going and not turn in my direction.. that if he DID turn in my direction, I had the excuse of being a kid defending me... he doesn't hurt kids.. that was a RULE that was stapled in my head, my protection.

Later on, the NES game came, fast forward to high school.  IDEAS IDEAS IDEAS.  I wanted to see Jason in a game.  I wrote to companies.  I wrote a long letter to CAPCOM, I will never forget that.  I actually mailed it to them with ideas.  The game never came and everyone just accepted there would be no game.

Fast forward to now.  It's almost surreal, but just an accepted fact because of today's technology that i can sit here and talk to you guys and that this game is actually being made, AND.. that so far all of you are absolutely NAILING the feel of this game from what I've seen.  I appreciate it.. it was a long wait.

ANYWAY..

JASON TAKES MANHATTAN...

We all know the movie didn't get the chance to film in New York like they wanted to..  the whole thing was shot on a boat.

BUT NOW...  (if the game does successful).

This could all be remedied in the game.  A "Jason Takes Manhattan" map pack could feature places like,

1.  THE LAZARUS (the ship)

2.  THE CITY

3.  ALLEYS

4.  THE SEWER SYSTEM

The only major difference being A.I. NPC characters that would be doing their thing in the city.

It would be interesting to see if you guys could capture that same feeling where even tho they were in the city, and even tho a lot of people were around, there was still that sense of dread and tension.  No matter how many people are around the player, they'd feel alone or shunned away.

The only problem would be A.I. in that if the player being Jason decides to try to goof with the A.I. he wouldn't be able to kill them.  Or the A.I. responding to Jason, etc.. it would be quite the task.  Maybe it could be a case to where Jason isn't allowed to walk out among the public for too long or cops will get called, .. it could act as a temporary safe zone for players while Jason works out a way to walk out there and get them. 

The sewer system is a given.  Creepy Underground tunnels.  So uncomfortable being down there knowing Jason could teleport around the next corner, it would be a very dangerous map for counselors because Jason could literally be there around a wall, or as you turn corners trying to make your way out.

There's just so many things you guys could do with maps in terms of balancing out the characters WITH the maps, and making adjustments towards what players are able to do depending on the map itself. 

There are so many variables that can be made out here.  I don't even begin to understand how people say this game will have no replay value.  I mean..

You guys could even make a  "Suburban Neighborhood" map where Jason is killing teenagers in their own neighborhood (playing out that childhood nightmare), you can run from house to house at night with 'your teenage friends' trying to figure a way out of the situation.

(Just pretend all the parents are asleep) XD...

6 people like this

Like the ideas but it's all about the $ !  This is high on the stretch goal list and a lot needs to be funded before we hit it . More likely that it could be DLC at some point.

Like the ideas but it's all about the $ !  This is high on the stretch goal list and a lot needs to be funded before we hit it . More likely that it could be DLC at some point.

Oh definitely!  I wouldn't expect them to make Manhattan right away.  This kind of DLC feature would be something to pull out halfway through the game's lifecycle to kinda set it on fire again and give players a big reason to come back to it.  There's SO many different kind of add-ons that can be attached to this game, it's RIDICULOUS.  That's why I'm shocked when some players have it in their head that there's no replay value here.

All they have to do is work their marketing like Rockstar Games and just keep giving players new stuff during the week, and during the months, "MIDWEEK HORROR MADNESS" or something, and just put out DLC from time to time.. this game could grow BIG this way just from the marketing alone.  I think it would set this genre FRESH and Gun Media would set a fantastic tone to the way these games work... JUST PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!  DON'T LET PLAYERS WIN THROUGH MICROTRANSACTIONS!!  That will kill your fan base.. and the game will turn to crap like GTA Online has.  :(  So sad, because I really like that game. 

There's TOOOONS of replay value tho!!

1 person likes this

Yeah, I don't understand the complaint of no replay value either (one that's not popular, thankfully). 

That fact that it's multiplayer automatically makes it re-playable, with every game being completely different.

Yeah games that have no replay value are the offline campaign single player lol multiplayer is always fun and different everytime!

Overwatch is a new online only game and its doing really well with 10 million players. It doesnt seem to get boring either as theres so many characters and they all play differently.

Overwatch is fantastic (57 hours clocked up for me and counting!). It's a very different style and very much pace of game, but it is a great example of how multiplayer titles can do very well.

There are a lot of examples how they don't, as well; Gun & co do have plenty of examples to look at.

Post-game support is really really crucial too and thankfully they recognise that.

I think the bite-size 10-15 minute games thing will help out in the long run. People will want to get on and get in a couple quick games when they can. It's also going to be a big help releasing when it does, long autumn/winter nights coming in and more hours of darkness, best time to be playing something like this.

Back on about the maps, I do think any potential Manhattan map would definitely be fun for them to do and, yeah, I would love to see them include the Lazarus as a starting area. Perhaps after a set amount of time, it 'arrives' at Manhattan and then you're allowed to leave it to run around a few areas there. That would feel film-accurate but also a fun change of style for a map.

To go back on topic of this post id really like to see manhattan map added to the game it would be interesting to see might have to split in to a couple of maps as it might be too big an area for one map and Jason will never win cause counselors will be too hard to find.

Stretch goal ;). We totally want to get this stuff in, and we've already got a good idea on what we want to do with the Manhattan content, just have to raise the funds!

2 people like this

I Would love to play as Jason and stalk the ship,that ship was huge it even had a dance club hall disco room.the fish spear gun should definatley be an option in the manhatan map pack, the steam room on the ship where Jason uses the hot coals to murder people and the barrels in the city with green acid liquid slime in them and when Jason puts people in the barrels it melts there flesh and you can see there skull.

It's definitely a concept that could be a lot of fun, maybe more so than the actual film managed to have with the locations.

Quite a different style from running through the forest towards cabins, lots more new assets needed I'd think, but real potential post-game.

1 person likes this

Stretch goal ;). We totally want to get this stuff in, and we've already got a good idea on what we want to do with the Manhattan content, just have to raise the funds!

Any idea where funds will be at by launch, just by estimation given the post-kickstarter preorders?

I know it's for some reason taboo to talk about money but I don't care you don't gotta answer :P

Why would you want to make a map for a bad movie?

I shouldn't have to list the things wrong with this statement.

I believe there should be 2 manhattan maps added down the line as dlcs. One map should be on the Lazarus boat. The goal is to escape the Lazarus. There should be features/rooms such as a boxing gym,sauna steam room,and a disco dance area. There would be 2 ways to get off, fix the satelite phone and call the coast guard, or get the power working and finding a repair kit, or something to fix the life boat.but the life boat will only seat 4 people. You should be able to get to a skybox area and see crystal lake in the distance.

Then... The second map could be the on the streets of Manhattan. This map could feature a broad times square area, subways, diners, rooftops, alleyways, abandoned shops, and of course the sewers. You woukd absolutely have to include the hockey championship billboard. The goal of this area is to call the police for help or lure jason into the sewers at the right time where all underground areas of the map would flood with toxic waste. This could be activated if you find hidden barrels of waste scattered throughout the map. Maybe there could be 10 barrels to find.

1 person likes this

I would absolutely love a Part 8 Map Pack! I desperately want to play in NYC with Jason (including the subways and alley and the ship). I'd definitely buy.

The ship as its own sudden death map would be amazing. Imagine trying to survive as a group in that environment? Intense!

Here's my toughts on a Manhattan Dlc.

I also think that it should be split in 2 maps,the boat and part of the city.

For the Lazarus ship it should not be a problem since it's basically a cruise ship stranded at sea,unlike a map set on land you dont need to put mountains/cliffs/rocks or blocked roads to make the limit of a map since the borders of the ship ARE the limit of the map with vast waters stretching toward the horizon.

As for the city,i would take out the streets portion and only keep the alleys,rooftops and underground sewer tunnels and make it into a multi-floors map.

Like the map wouldnt be that large compared to other maps,but it would consist of those three sections,the roofs being the upper level,the alleys+abandoned buildings being the middle levels and the sewers (and maybe subway tunnels) being the lower level.

I think that adding a streets section (Madison Square) or a restaurant then adding civillians bots would probably take too much work to do,so it would be better to not add that.

Also just to add both those 2 maps are quite unique in a way because they contain sections that can give a sensation of claustrophobia (tight spaces),so it would be quite different from the more open spaced maps.