WashingtonJones

What defines a tryhard Jason?

84 posts in this topic

I've been called a "tryhard" simply for being an efficient death machine, and I've poked fun at the term many times, but there is definitely such a thing as a Jason that tries too hard. I've seen someone lay 5 traps in front of the fuse box (it was a Part 2). There are only 4 pocketknifes on a map, as far as I know, and the chances of someone actually sacrificing one to pop a trap are usually slim, unless you're playing against a good team.

Using the same quick kill on every counselor or just slashing them all without even grabbing them is also another trait of a Jason that's trying too hard. 

Yeah, I get that Jason isn't supposed to show mercy and all, but this is still a game, and there's a difference between having fun and being an asshole. Jasons that spam quick kills and make it impossible to complete objectives are no better than counselors that hoard pocketknifes or spend the entire match hiding instead of helping.

And if you don't believe there's such a thing as a Jason that tries too hard, you're probably one yourself...

2 hours ago, lazerus_86 said:

Never made an exception? I do recall one movie where he let a cabin full of kids live...

I don’t make exceptions during an active match. It creates animosity among all the players. They also can end up reporting me for thinking I’m working with one of the players so I don’t. 

Glad to see most of us are on the same page here.  I despise the term "tryhard."  Like someone mentioned on the first page, that sorry excuse for an insult is used by salty casuals who think they are privileged.  These mobile gamers and their stupid rules to circumvent in-game mechanics piss me the hell off.  If any one is a try-hard, it's those must have 8/8 Jason's that talk crap when they play.  The ones who are wishing out loud they are Jason during the opening cutscene, and tell players at the end of the match they were "lucky" if they escaped.  The ones who insist on giving you a smart ass play by play of any mistakes you make- "well that was a waste of the sweater/shotgun/firecrackers." The ones who have to let the lobby know "I'm happy with 6/8."  Who gives a shit??  FOH.  Do they get called "Tryhards?"  Nope.  But keep your mic off and be an efficient Jason and everyone hurls insults & profanities your way like there's no tomorrow.  Nevermind how much of a team player you were as a counselor- you're a "tryhard" now.

Is it obvious I am speaking from experience and having negative flashbacks as I type??  :P    

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mr.Unknownyt said:

i really am sick of all these jason posts. If you dont want to play a game where a crazy half dead killer is after trying to kill you dont play this game. I go tryhard every time i play you only get jason a little so i am gonna use him the way i want. Stop complain about jason if you dont like it go play my little pony. I see nothing to op or tryhard about jason. work with other people and i can promise you will get away more

I've been saying this for months now. 

It's ok to think Jason is too OP. It's ok to think the game play is completely unbalanced. It's ok to not like this game. Play something else.

I feel like there's a decent amount of players who complain non stop because they want the game to be something it's not and never should be. They're just playing the wrong game. 

1 hour ago, Brevator said:

I've been called a "tryhard" simply for being an efficient death machine, and I've poked fun at the term many times, but there is definitely such a thing as a Jason that tries too hard. I've seen someone lay 5 traps in front of the fuse box (it was a Part 2). There are only 4 pocketknifes on a map, as far as I know, and the chances of someone actually sacrificing one to pop a trap are usually slim, unless you're playing against a good team.

Using the same quick kill on every counselor or just slashing them all without even grabbing them is also another trait of a Jason that's trying too hard. 

Yeah, I get that Jason isn't supposed to show mercy and all, but this is still a game, and there's a difference between having fun and being an asshole. Jasons that spam quick kills and make it impossible to complete objectives are no better than counselors that hoard pocketknifes or spend the entire match hiding instead of helping.

And if you don't believe there's such a thing as a Jason that tries too hard, you're probably one yourself...

Now that's overkill. But everything else is fine. That's not being a tryhard.

tumblr_ny7flbpIqO1su7mj6o1_500.gif

Playing in Quickplay is much easier than playing in a private match with highly skilled players.

Playing with some of the forum members has taught me that. Challenging and fun.

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, lazerus_86 said:

Never made an exception? I do recall one movie where he let a cabin full of kids live...

That was also because he had a distraction pop up.  Jason is like a raccoon.  Dangle a shiny object (cops/counselors) in front of him and he is gonna focus in on it and try to get it.  

I’ll repeat the only correct answer to “what defines a tryhard Jason” which is there is NO such thing. Tunneling(to an extent), stalk/shift, placing traps at key locations, hacking etc are all good strategies and part of any skilled Jason’s repertoire. Jason is there to kill the counselors, period. How you do that is up to you. If it works, it works. 

2 people like this

If two people escape to tell the tale............I did my job as Jason.

1 person likes this

Using only the fastest grab kills that require little space is a bit tryhardish I suppose.  It's the behavior of someone absolutely terrified at the thought they might not get everyone and so throw any kind of style or variety out the window to do so.  That's sort of the definition of tryhard:  using only the absolute best and most OP stuff as well as every exploit possible to desperately chase a win, and getting very pissed and judgey at others who don't do the same because winning is all that matters and fun is for pussies.  That attitude.

There's no such thing as a 'tryhard' Jason.

There is such a thing as a whiny, entitled counselor though, who acts like a child playing Monopoly with his parents, who he expects to always let him win.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Strangefate said:

Using only the fastest grab kills that require little space is a bit tryhardish I suppose.  It's the behavior of someone absolutely terrified at the thought they might not get everyone and so throw any kind of style or variety out the window to do so.  That's sort of the definition of tryhard:  using only the absolute best and most OP stuff as well as every exploit possible to desperately chase a win, and getting very pissed and judgey at others who don't do the same because winning is all that matters and fun is for pussies.  That attitude.

Can i flip this on it's head a bit. You have 4 counselors around the four seater. The pressure is high, they are all swinging bats, axes and knives. In this situation if i can get a sneaky grab in, chances are i may take that head.

Or they have moms sweater and tommy is on the map and in the vicinity. I'm not talking the symantics off whether they should have progressed this far it doesn't matter. All they need is your mask and "you're a dead fuck"...pressure is on again more than the 4 seater scenario. Is it ok now to be popping heads? 

Now if i were to say there were a type of jason player i didn't like it would be the jason that shows up early in the game. Catches you in one of those front door only cabins. Traps every window and the door. I don't like the term tryhard but i would say this is as close as it comes for me. A mindless kind off i absolutely must get at least one kill and your it. Fuck your friends by the car. Maybe the remember you killed them last game and hold a grudge but i can't wrap my head around it.

On the Jarvis map, there is literally a cabin where you can only get out the front door.  Has 3 windows with blinds and a door, that's it.  I think it's that lone one on that island thingy with the bridges.

I would say doing no environmental kills and just fast strangle kills

When Jason slashes you and you have a knife.... It's annoying. Annoying and good play. Not "tryhard".

When you plan to use the phone box and see multiple traps... It's annoying. Annoying and it's good play. Not "tryhard".

When Jason uses the same kill multiple times it really doesn't affect me in the slightest.

When Jason combines his abilities to catch you in any way he desires.... It's good play. Not "tryhard".

You'd usually find those using the word "tryhard" aren't saying it because they've just had a successful match as a counselor, 

Q. Who the fuck complains about a player playing the game in whatever way he feels like within the rules?

A. Bitches.

2 people like this

I like the "Aaagggguuuggaahhggghh!" death sounds of the counselor when Jason kills via slashing.  Usually hear it while spectating, and you can hear it if nearby.  Unsettling.

being a slasher jason, spam-kill jason or an excessive trap jason doesn't make you a tryhard. it makes you a boring and probably not very confident jason.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, He's Killing Me said:

On the Jarvis map, there is literally a cabin where you can only get out the front door.  Has 3 windows with blinds and a door, that's it.  I think it's that lone one on that island thingy with the bridges.

I noticed that too. Kind of bogus since you can barely juke between cabins as it is on that map...

4 hours ago, ShortyThaGame said:

When Jason slashes you and you have a knife.... It's annoying. Annoying and good play. Not "tryhard".

When you plan to use the phone box and see multiple traps... It's annoying. Annoying and it's good play. Not "tryhard".

When Jason uses the same kill multiple times it really doesn't affect me in the slightest.

When Jason combines his abilities to catch you in any way he desires.... It's good play. Not "tryhard".

You'd usually find those using the word "tryhard" aren't saying it because they've just had a successful match as a counselor, 

Q. Who the fuck complains about a player playing the game in whatever way he feels like within the rules?

A. Bitches.

Q. Who the fuck puts more than three traps in front of the phone and spams quick kills? 

A. Bitches. Bitches who know they aren't very good at being Jason. 

Being a bitch is not "good play", nor does it have anything to do with your ability as a counselor. I'm Level 101 and I've escaped as every single counselor, including the new one. 

Excessive trapping and quick kill spamming are signs of a bitch Jason. 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Q. Who the fuck puts more than three traps in front of the phone and spams quick kills? 

Being a bitch is not "good play", nor does it have anything to do with your ability as a counselor. I'm Level 101 and I've escaped as every single counselor, including the new one. 

I'm not very good at being Jason, and I know it. Does that make me a bitch? 

5 minutes ago, Brevator said:

Actually all of this describes a bitch counselor who expects Jason to play against his win condition so that you "feel better"

The fact that counselors can tank 2-3 traps is exactly why Jason would "excessive" trap an objective. 

Q. Who the fuck complains about how many traps Jason uses?

A. Bitches. Bitches who know they aren't very good at playing a counselor. Bitches who expect a clear phone box/car every game so they can escape without having to work at it.

3 people like this

Just now, rickyount02 said:

I'm not very good at being Jason, and I know it. Does that make me a bitch? 

No, spamming quick kills and excessive trapping does. 

1 minute ago, dmack621 said:

Actually all of this describes a bitch counselor who expects Jason to play against his win condition so that you "feel better"

The fact that counselors can tank 2-3 traps is exactly why Jason would "excessive" trap an objective. 

Q. Who the fuck complains about how many traps Jason uses?

A. Bitches. Bitches who know they aren't very good at playing a counselor. Bitches who expect a clear phone box/car every game so they can escape without having to work at it.

LOL, again, I'm Level 101, and if you doubt my abilities as a counselor, you're more than welcome to test them on PS4.

Just now, Brevator said:

LOL, again, I'm Level 101, and if you doubt my abilities as a counselor, you're more than welcome to test them on PS4.

Congrats you're level 101. Want a cookie? I am maxed out as well.

You complain about how many traps Jason uses. That's pathetic.

If I'm up against Part 2 Jason and the phone box has 4 traps on it, I don't think to myself "Oh that Jason is a bitch for not allowing me a guaranteed fix of the phone box." 

Apparently you think that way, and regardless what you think your "abilities" as a counselor are, it still makes you a bitch to expect Jason to make things easy for you.

2 people like this

What's pathetic is putting 4 traps in front of the phone because you're not skilled enough to kill seven players or less in five minutes.