WashingtonJones

What defines a tryhard Jason?

84 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused on what people consider "tryhard". I'm pretty sure a lot of times it's said out of frustration for being killed. But a lot of times it seems to be said because the Jason player doesn't play side games or he kills everyone or anything along those lines.

It seems fairly subjective, so I'd like to know what you guys consider a "tryhard" Jason player to be.

 

I would say... 

Putting more than 2 traps at a time on any objective. (I'm looking at you, Part 2!) 

Slashing the last survivor to death in fear that they have a pocket knife. (I've seen people do that with no cops called, no vehicles available and with the counselor injured.)     

Slashing everyone to death. (I'm kinda on the fence with this one and I never slash, unless it's through a window. It's frustrating but there's something cool about the brutality of it, especially with Part 3)

Doing no environmental kills. (Depends on the circumstances)

Using quick grab kills only. (Depends on the circumstances)

Using the same grab kill. (Single handed choke especially. Again, I'm on the fence. I can watch the eye gouge all day.)

Tunneling. (Only if it causes you to stop checking your map or ignore sound cues.) 

Always having to kill everybody. (This is low priority but every so often it's cool to let someone survive for an achievement or if they're good at talking their way out of it) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jasons not suppose to be a sweetheart...

Placing more the 2 traps on a phone box let’s me know which objective is being worked on. When I hear 1 trap go off and another within a couple seconds. That clear indication it’s the fuse box.

The objective is to kill everyone. Jason never makes exceptions in the movies to let anyone survive. Calling someone a try hard cause your begging Jason to let you escape is petty. There is a reason it’s called “achievements”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slashing someone because you know they have a knife is not a try hard but smart it gets things over with and with how shady people are in this game I tend to Slash now more than grab because of players leaving due to being upset they got killed. Also every limping counceler will get slashed to death it's faster and better to move on to another part of the map. No need to have a long kill. A good Jason shouldn't wait but get shit done asap so that layer on in the game it will be too hard to do anything and when players look at their to do list and it has nothing done moral gets lost and players tend to not care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who're so insecure as Jason, that they'll lay traps at every car and phonebox in a match with less than 5 counselors. Then they'll continue to slash away at everyone to avoid pocket knifes.

Seriously... where is the fun in that? whenever I'm Jason in a half-full lobby, I always like to play dumb and give the counselors the opportunity to get a car started before I hunt them down. Then I'll secretly lay traps bellow second story windows at Packanack and Higgins, herd the counselors upstairs, sit back, and enjoy the show. B)

Seratopia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. I lay two traps at the phone box, sometimes one, it depends on my mood, one at the battery and gas tank of the blue car, and if on Packanack or Higgins, I lay a trap at the foot of each set of porch steps. I love snagging them when they run out of the doors of the main cabin in a panic. It takes them by surprise and pisses them off when they are dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Placing more than two traps on the phone at a given time.

Stalk Shifting. 

Slashing everyone to death or asphyxiating everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ChadFace said:

Placing more than two traps on the phone at a given time.

Stalk Shifting

Slashing everyone to death or asphyxiating everyone. 

Stalk Shifting is a sign that your Jason cares about you. This is a horror game based on a property that relies on jump-scares. Stalk Shift is one of the key ways to achieve a jump-scare. I'm delighted when Jason catches me with a successful Stalk Shift!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel there is really a try hard jason and if there is maybe it's justified and i'm not saying that as a tryhard jason i don't do half what's mentioned up top. Well maybe trapping the phone fuse in multiples. 

That all being said counselors have all the fun, what with teabagging jason and now emots to rub salt in. I just want to emphasize the point that the pressure to be a good jason is far higher than that off a good counselor.

When all the trolling and teabagging is done. Well yes i want jason to take some sadistic pleasure in his later kills. With so many balls on his chin he has earned them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, matisangry said:

the only true try-hard jason is the jason that gets pissy or rage-quits when he isn't going to kill 8/8.

 

29 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

"What defines a tryhard Jason?"

Whiny counselors.

Perfect explanations. Mods, you can close this now, @matisangry and @SolidusPrime just dropped the mic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something fullfilling about slashing a counselor to death that has 3 get out of jail free pocket knives in their inventory. Its great.

Its just a shame its only really viable when they decide to try and stun him with numbers rather than actually slashing them while chasing them is a lot less viable.

Mr.Unknownyt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i really am sick of all these jason posts. If you dont want to play a game where a crazy half dead killer is after trying to kill you dont play this game. I go tryhard every time i play you only get jason a little so i am gonna use him the way i want. Stop complain about jason if you dont like it go play my little pony. I see nothing to op or tryhard about jason. work with other people and i can promise you will get away more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mr.Unknownyt said:

i really am sick of all these jason posts. If you dont want to play a game where a crazy half dead killer is after trying to kill you dont play this game. I go tryhard every time i play you only get jason a little so i am gonna use him the way i want. Stop complain about jason if you dont like it go play my little pony. I see nothing to op or tryhard about jason. work with other people and i can promise you will get away more

I don't think anyone was complaining about Jason in this thread. This thread is asking what you consider to be a tryhard Jason. And if you don't like threads about Jason, then ignore them. Nobody is forcing you to read or comment on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Using the same grab kill.

Tunneling.

Those are really the only two that make a less than stellar Jason.  Tunneling is usually done by new players or those that just know they are not good at playing with Jason.  Using the same kill (usually either the quick choke or decapitation) to kill everyone just tells me, even if they manage an 7/7 or 8/8, they are not confident in themselves to use various kills or know if an objective is done (fix phonebox or 4-seater) they tend to give up and/or quit.

On a side note, I really hate the pet names "the internet" have come up with.  Nothing but lesser forms of harsher insults (but too afraid to say for fear of offending someone, go figure).  You'd probably get stomped in the street for calling someone "butthurt" if this were still the late 80's or 90's.

Maddogg_8121 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no "tryhard". It is the creation of counselors wanting more of a chance than the game was intended to give. The only instance I would call "tryhard", as noted by others, is when a Jason rage quits for not getting perfect round. Beyond that, how a Jason chooses to play is largely not your concern (though there are plenty of tactics that get under the skin). It doesn't make them a tryhard. It just means you don't like their play style as Jason.

It is kind of the same with "spawn killing". There is no such thing except when you kill Tommy before his cut scene finishes. You either die or don't die, but you are not "spawn killed."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have mentioned, there's no such thing as a TryHard, it's just whinging on the part of those killed. When I'm Jason I'm brutally efficient, and that often rubs people the wrong way, and that's more telling of them than of me. In fact if anything there are subtle levels of TryLess Jasons, like those whose objective is killing counselors in a more specific yet inefficient manner or those that let some survive for whatever reason. Jason's primary function is to turn Crystal Lake into Camp Blood, it's his raison d'etre.

DeadManJoe likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tattooey said:

The objective is to kill everyone. Jason never makes exceptions in the movies to let anyone survive. Calling someone a try hard cause your begging Jason to let you escape is petty. There is a reason it’s called “achievements”

Never made an exception? I do recall one movie where he let a cabin full of kids live...

Switters likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lazerus_86 said:

Never made an exception? I do recall one movie where he let a cabin full of kids live...

Part VI:  Jason Lives!  The ONLY time kids are at camp with people responsible for their well-being (well, not really the only time.  Sorry, Jason.)  And they are partial comic relief to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lazerus_86 said:

Never made an exception? I do recall one movie where he let a cabin full of kids live...

Now that's a horse of a different color, and an interesting one, at that. Depending on the point in the series and what one considers to be canon him letting the kids live would or would not be out of character. Pre-Part 6 Jason almost always followed the sin factor formula wherein if the characters are smoking dope or having sex they're definitely dead. Then you have poor bastards like Shelly who was most certainly a virgin who are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's usually the most virtuous of the group who end up the "Final Girl". He's obviously not JUST killing the sin group, there's a lot of collateral damage, which throws the whole "Mommy told me to" motivation out the window since he's punishing people who aren't even tangentially linked to how he or his mother died. As of the 2009 reboot Jason is explained as territorial, and that would make me think he'd murder ANYONE for trespassing, be it teenager, child or otherwise. Wasn't it in Freddy Vs Jason that a flashback shows the kids picking on him? If that were canonical, you'd think he would have murdered every last child who ever step foot on the camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I'm a little confused on what people consider "tryhard". I'm pretty sure a lot of times it's said out of frustration for being killed. But a lot of times it seems to be said because the Jason player doesn't play side games or he kills everyone or anything along those lines.

It seems fairly subjective, so I'd like to know what you guys consider a "tryhard" Jason player to be.

 

I would say... 

Putting more than 2 traps at a time on any objective. (I'm looking at you, Part 2!) 

Slashing the last survivor to death in fear that they have a pocket knife. (I've seen people do that with no cops called, no vehicles available and with the counselor injured.)     

Slashing everyone to death. (I'm kinda on the fence with this one and I never slash, unless it's through a window. It's frustrating but there's something cool about the brutality of it, especially with Part 3)

Doing no environmental kills. (Depends on the circumstances)

Using quick grab kills only. (Depends on the circumstances)

Using the same grab kill. (Single handed choke especially. Again, I'm on the fence. I can watch the eye gouge all day.)

Tunneling. (Only if it causes you to stop checking your map or ignore sound cues.) 

Always having to kill everybody. (This is low priority but every so often it's cool to let someone survive for an achievement or if they're good at talking their way out of it) 

 

 

6 hours ago, ChadFace said:

Placing more than two traps on the phone at a given time.

Stalk Shifting. 

Slashing everyone to death or asphyxiating everyone. 

Here's the definition of tryhard Jasons: whiny entitled counselors. 

None of these are even close to a tryhard Jason. 

John Wick likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now