Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vassago

What if, you wrote a friday the 13th movie?

3 posts in this topic

So i was mulling, what would i like to see in a friday the 13th film, how would i make it different, remain true to the films but make it stand apart from the others.

Now i'm sure not many would go for it, but for me. Really trying to grasps Jason's emotional state and motivation for his killings is where i would delve. I'm sorry sean.s but jason like the shark from jaws i get, but it isn't enough. Even the shark has a motivation, he is hungry. So what is jason's gig.

Well i would do a core movie with most the same established rules of genre in place. Jason is still living in the wilderness and along comes some teens. He could let these guys and gals be, they'll be gone in a few days but he won't. Why?

To figure it all out we have to go back to the beginning. His relationship with his mom. Really pick that scab off and let it bleed. 

I would have scenes of recollection and memory. What was christmas like? Did she read to him? Deep stuff. The film i'd like to see is jason the brute in one moment and a jason that has you feeling truly sympathetic to him.

I imagine scenes with him in his shack he has broke his shrine in anger because he truly understands she is dead and that is the end but he cant get over it. Imagine a jason looking somewhat beaten clutching his mothers head, audible gruntish sounds that are clearly a man in pain.

Oh but here they are the teens...he looks at his mother, the hate burns in his one good eye and he sets off. I would try to iterate that each kill is not vengeance for mom but a reliving of her demise a chance for him to change history. I would try to convey that if he inherited anything it was her overwhelming protectiveness and in each kill that is what he thinks he is doing, Protecting his mother. 

He can't ignore the tresspassors. They will hurt his mom again. It's all they are there for (in his mind) he is not being territorial he protecting his only family. Alive or dead, but in order to see and understand that. We have to see him at his weakest.

Oh but the kills they would be hate filled and brutal!...

Interesting take, and something different which is always good.

When it comes to horror films though I'm not a fan of completely demystifying the villain. When you start to reveal their motivation and what drove them to do what they do you build sympathy for them and they're no longer that scary (Rob Zombie's Halloween remake - first half it was all about 'poor' Michael suffering his white trash family; so were we meant to still boo him when he was a grown adult stalking the folks of Haddonfield? Who were we meant to cheer for there?)

I think you can imply all the motivation you need from the earlier Friday films; he was left alone in the woods to grow up, and coupled with some mental health / mother issues he has a pathological fear / violence against any teens entering his 'patch'.

If I was to script something I'd make it a direct sequel to Part 4 ... the first four films were plausible in terms of two realistic serial killers going on a rampage.  I'd set in in 2000, Jason would be early 50s or thereabouts, still young enough to be dangerous. It would have more realism around the investigations in to the murders, why they haven't been publicised, why the town covered them up (so that it doesn't affect tourism), before Jason starts taking lives again as the film moves on.  Decent acting and a tight plot, saving the gore for the latter half of the film.

I would make a movie that's a sequel to Jason Lives and New Blood that ties those two movies together. It's twenty years later, and Tommy and Tina are married to each other under fake aliases, not knowing of one or the other's pasts. Tommy is the town sheriff, and after some of his deputies are killed at Camp Crystal Lake, Tommy reveals his true identity and vows to burn Crystal Lake to the ground. This Friday would have the highest kill count and would feature the toughest Jason. I've actually wrote bits and pieces of the script including the ending, and so far, Jason has killed about 25 people. My goal is to make it the Logan of Jason films. It's meant to be one last epic send off that ties up the loose ends of the franchise and brings an actual, concise ending to the Paramount films, which were pretty much ignored once New Line got the rights and did Jason Goes to Hell 

GameboySM likes this