Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Todd Voorhees

Jason not being Mentally Slow?

Do you agree?   30 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think Jason was mentally handicapped?

    • Yes
      17
    • No
      13

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

If you watched through the movies.....Jason doesn't show "Mentally" disabled concepts....He reacts like a regular human....dodging attacks when he was alive.He uses his brain like a regular human aka using different methods of killing. He knows when to kill a victim....either by baiting,luring, and trapping them......Jason could be like Michael myers and chooses not to speak and stuff.

Even in the 2009 version they also reflect jason as a skilled hunter using various traps and making basic tunnel roots through out the camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 But redneck backwoods and deformed HAS to equal mentally challenged doesn't it??? I think that's the usual line of thought at least.

Granted he's the ultimate mamas boy turned up to 13 and obviously never did receive much if any schooling (I can imagine the bullying would have been through the roof) if any at all but remember he was able to survive in the woods on his own for many many years and that level of self care and reliance is not something one usually associates with mental disabilities. Sure he would be a bit "off" and hydrocephalus is usually tied to disabilities but now that you mention it he really does seem to exhibit startlingly few traits one typically associates with the disabled outside of appearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he was up to the point he came back after drowning. I think he was bestowed with some sort of unknown super natural power that gives him advanced strength, stamina, intelligence, etc, and I refuse to believe JGTH explained it. I like to think it's still a mystery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people who have hydrocephalus to the extent that Jason does would be handicapped in some way, from what I remember when I looked into the condition years ago. I tend to think he was slightly mentally handicapped, but not severely.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where Jason having hydrocephalus comes from - but, Jason was probably home schooled by his loving mother, and probably got a better education than most kids of his generation in public schools. Also, with him hearing her voice all the time - probably spent the winters reading all the great books laying around those cabins. Prime example would be the 12 foot long bookcase in Part 3. There really wasn't a shortage of learning material for Jason -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason actually has a few medical characteristics; none of which make him retarded.

He exhibits strabismus and orbital dystopia. He also displays some aspects of proteus syndrome. His cunning in the movies alone demonstrate his intelligence was not severely limited. Mentally disturbed sure...but not incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he's mentally handicapped, he just didn't have a normal upbringing.  He actually seems pretty smart having to basically fend for himself in the woods since childhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM, hesh said:

Not sure where Jason having hydrocephalus comes from - but, Jason was probably home schooled by his loving mother, and probably got a better education than most kids of his generation in public schools. Also, with him hearing her voice all the time - probably spent the winters reading all the great books laying around those cabins. Prime example would be the 12 foot long bookcase in Part 3. There really wasn't a shortage of learning material for Jason -

The hydrocephalus is what makes his head so large and disproportionate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason carried a 4.0 and had an IQ of 145 and had a bachelors in quantum physics......ummm NO, he was a retarded backwoodsman that carved up campers for fun. Yeah totally fucked in the head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the films never said anything about him being mentally limited in any way for one. Second reason is, Jason has a deformed appearance is because Savini thought it would be more horrific to have a deformed dead young Jason to attack the girl on the boat at the end of the movie. After the idea worked they stuck with it. no specific reason for Jason being deformed was even specified to my knowledge other than being "slightly handicapped". Jason's father in the comics wasn't deformed either, he was just a big burly dude. That's where Jason gets his stature. I'm beginning to rant along so i'm going to stop. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason is handicapped in that he doesn't understand how to interact with society like normal people, but he understands how society interacts with itself and how people interact with each other. If the day came where he decided not to kill people anymore he would have a hard time re-adjusting. He would require minimal assisted living, just someone to come by every few days to see how he's doing, but he could fend for himself and perhaps hold a medial labor job like a trash collector or lawn mower or logging, but that's as much as he would be able to do if he tried to re-integrate with society, in human form at least.

Actually now that I think about it if Jason kept his uncanny tracking ability he'd be great for finding missing persons and criminals on the run for the FBI.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 8:50 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Jason is handicapped in that he doesn't understand how to interact with society like normal people, but he understands how society interacts with itself and how people interact with each other. If the day came where he decided not to kill people anymore he would have a hard time re-adjusting. He would require minimal assisted living, just someone to come by every few days to see how he's doing, but he could fend for himself and perhaps hold a medial labor job like a trash collector or lawn mower or logging, but that's as much as he would be able to do if he tried to re-integrate with society, in human form at least.

Actually now that I think about it if Jason kept his uncanny tracking ability he'd be great for finding missing persons and criminals on the run for the FBI.

LOL he'd make an awesome nature guide or one of those people who take groups out to learn "roughing it" from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't know the whole details of jason being slow or to what extent. I do know it was intended he be mongloid. In any case if i draw from reality. There are varying degrees. I know an individual who you couldn't watch for more than a few minutes and not come to the conclusion he is slow. That being said he has held down a job and led a kind of normal life until more recently. He is in truth a great example of why jason may work as he does. This guy see's black and white, all his descission making is black and white. There is no grey area's for him it seems and i think same would hold true for jason. He can do practical things but you wouldn't ask him for financial advice.

 

That being said when thinking about the area's where jason excells maybe because he is more uninhibited but consider them and then consider "rain man"

Edited by Vassago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 7:27 AM, Vassago said:

I don't know the whole details of jason being slow or to what extent. I do know it was intended he be mongloid. In any case if i draw from reality. There are varying degrees. I know an individual who you couldn't watch for more than a few minutes and not come to the conclusion he is slow. That being said he has held down a job and led a kind of normal life until more recently. He is in truth a great example of why jason may work as he does. This guy see's black and white, all his descission making is black and white. There is no grey area's for him it seems and i think same would hold true for jason. He can do practical things but you wouldn't ask him for financial advice.

 

That being said when thinking about the area's where jason excells maybe because he is more uninhibited but consider them and then consider "rain man"

This description, especially the rain man comparison, is pretty much how I personally think of Jason; most likely a little slow in some respects and definitely child-like in mentality. After all, this is a grown man who gives dead bodies to his mom's severed head in order to please her, and until Ginny's deception is exposed because he spots Pamela's head behind her, he doesn't seem to find it too incredible that his mother would appear alive and whole and speak to him.

But being slow to grasp certain things, especially when talking about abstract concepts, doesn't mean he's totally incapable of being observant, cunning and methodical. He3 probably doesn't understand (or cares about) the intricacies and reasons behind social behaviors, but like any good hunter, he can observe and recognize patterns in his prey's actions, and from there predict how they're likely to react next. Basically, he may not know much, but what he knows (hunting, trapping, etc.), he knows very well.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0