Gertz

Rain!

107 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Laphin said:

@NthnButAGoodTime  What's there to explain?  Counselors lack of sight and hearing = Jason's shift grab becomes worse to deal with...  which will ruin the intended purpose of the rain and lightning.  I guess it will make more sense once you play it, (if they leave everything as-is mechanically..).

7 minutes ago, Laphin said:

Well I know if they add rain, it won't just be cosmetic.  In theory, counselors will trip more in the rain, tracking mud into cabins etc.
Maybe they'll experiment with the stuff I talked about to balance on Jason's side... I sure to god hope so.  One can only hope and dream at this point I suppose.

So you're concerned that Jason will still maintain laser focus despite the elements, whereas the counselors will be nerfed in part because of lowered visibility and mechanically due to increased stumbling. Shift-grab (assuming we are speaking of the technique of timing a shift where you come out positioned for an immediate grab) is a scary element, and falls in line with at least half of the movies, and I can't see the argument for eliminating it as part of the game.

Part of the problem is as I said in another thread I made recently. Jason really isn't allowed to camp/stalk in this game, because he has to kill the counselors before they can manage to get escapes working or before they decide to ride out the timer for a win.

You see, the 'chase' element is there and it works, minus the cheap shift/grab. I don't see the fear that Jason could be lurking around every corner though, waiting to kill because...he literally can't just sit on his hands and perform those types of moments from the films.

Now others have shown video evidence of that playstyle working for their Jason, but from what I've seen in my time playing, Jason is mostly relegated to seek and destroy for nearly the entire match. Sure, if you WANT, you can camp out one objective, use STALK and hope counselors go for it. Yet towards the end, if your counselor, you know the timer begins to work against him, so why try for objectives, when you can just wait it out, loop him, etc for a timer win or until you might be killed?

I know removing the timer would actually introduce more problems than solutions, but something on the other side I feel needs a tweak.

6 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

So you're concerned that Jason will still maintain laser focus despite the elements, whereas the counselors will be nerfed in part because of lowered visibility and mechanically due to increased stumbling. Shift-grab (assuming we are speaking of the technique of timing a shift where you come out positioned for an immediate grab) is a scary element, and falls in line with at least half of the movies, and I can't see the argument for eliminating it as part of the game.

Show me one person that has been scared of the shift grab after playing the game for awhile.... and I'll believe you.  Typically, the reaction from a player that has been shift grabbed... is not positive, nor pleasant.

Just now, Laphin said:

Show me one person that has been scared of the shift grab after playing the game for awhile.... and I'll believe you.

I don't record my games, but I still pulled two screams out of a friendly private lobby two nights ago. I can try and wrack my brain to remember who did the screaming so I can subpoena them for this conversation.:P:)

1 minute ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I don't record my games, but I still pulled two screams out of a friendly private lobby two nights ago. I can try and wrack my brain to remember who did the screaming so I can subpoena them for this conversation.:P:)

Two screams, out of how many others that you played with.  My point is... you should be able to play Jason, and get a cool reaction from 80% of players you played with.  Not digging around in the haystack for the 2 folks that got scared.  But having a majority of folks getting the experience they paid hard earned cash for.

6 minutes ago, Laphin said:

Two screams, out of how many others that you played with.  My point is... you should be able to play Jason, and get a cool reaction from 80% of players you played with.  Not digging around in the haystack for the 2 folks that got scared.  But having a majority of folks getting the experience they paid hard earned cash for.

I should clarify. Two nights ago is the last time I played. I wasn't citing an isolated incident, just my most recent.

Any horror game is going to diminish in it's fear capacity the more familiar it becomes. If I headed back into Resident Evil 2, for example, the jump scare in one of the early hallways would now feel routine. And a multiplayer horror game can only be as scary as the commitment from all players involved.

Just now, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I should clarify. Two nights ago is the last time I played. I wasn't citing an isolated incident, just my most recent.

Any horror game is going to diminish in it's fear capacity the more familiar it becomes. If I headed back into Resident Evil 2, for example, the jump scare in one of the early hallways would not feel routine. And a multiplayer horror game can only be as scary as the commitment from all players involved.

But yet Dead by Daylight (a game I'm not too fond of, not because of their gameplay) manages to feel the same way it did one year ago, and manages to still get that FEELING right during certain chase moments (even with the bugs back then), and it's already been out a year.  Deceit, another game that's coming up on it's one year anniversary, still manages to instill paranoia and fear of the monster and it does it with flying colors.

And now Friday the 13th.  First month was awesome... now players know the mechanics, and because we all know how it works.. BECAUSE of the mechanics in place, the 'mechanics' are killing the way this game is SUPPOSED to make us feel.  Not even 5 months into it's life cycle and it's going downhill steadily.
We'll just have to see what happens come October.

2 people like this

Having the upper part of the barn open or the basement of Higgins open would add to immersion.

The problem is unless the fall from the top of the barn hurt the players. Immersion and organic gameplay would be traded off for a contant loop a thon and since Jason wouldn't be able to morph or shift going up and would likely need to climb the ladder. It would likely end up being a horrific experience for Jason. Even if you could have a cool environmental kill where Jason uses the rope to hang one of the counselors off the barn upstairs.

Which is why I also suspect any Manhattan/Boat map won't have dual layered floors because the devs would have to rework shift and morph on multiple floors. I could see them implementing a floor system on the map screen, but then people would get aggravated because they would have to toggle all that shit, meanwhile a counselor is looping between floors. See where im going with that?

On September 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM, tyrant666 said:

Having the upper part of the barn open or the basement of Higgins open would add to immersion.

The problem is unless the fall from the top of the barn hurt the players. Immersion and organic gameplay would be traded off for a contant loop a thon and since Jason wouldn't be able to morph or shift going up and would likely need to climb the ladder. It would likely end up being a horrific experience for Jason. Even if you could have a cool environmental kill where Jason uses the rope to hang one of the counselors off the barn upstairs.

Which is why I also suspect any Manhattan/Boat map won't have dual layered floors because the devs would have to rework shift and morph on multiple floors. I could see them implementing a floor system on the map screen, but then people would get aggravated because they would have to toggle all that shit, meanwhile a counselor is looping between floors. See where im going with that?

I would think falling from the loft would cause injury or at the very least slow you down to the point of Jason catching you a little easier. Love the idea of Jason climbing a ladder to perform the kill you suggested. It would definitely be interesting to see where they would go with the Lazarus if ever put in. Definitely a change in strategy for Jason for sure. 

1 person likes this

On 9/20/2017 at 9:58 AM, Laphin said:

To be fair Laphin, most people will never be scared by this game or any other horror title.  The general public of NOW, not 20+ years ago, is a bit too jaded and desensitized to horror. I used to watch horror movies with my mom when I was a little kid (30+ years ago). I was the one designated to tell her when it was OK to look.:lol:

I don't think it is being "scared" that you are stressing we need more of specifically. I think it is tension/stress (heightened fight or flight sensation). Shift-grab is a controversial aspect in the game. It doesn't bother me one bit, but hey, a lot of people hate it. They are part of the audience as well and their opinion should be taken into account. I like using shift to get into buildings with counselors as they are frantically trying to close a door and whatnot. I'm more keen on startling them by being in an unexpected place. It builds tension. That is also why I love Stalk. If I get a legitimate jump scare I figure I did my job well. I use Shift-grab to catch people out in the open, because let's be frank, with the current game mechanics/map layouts, it would be very difficult to play a game without Shift-grab.

On a side note:  I did play a match entirely without Shift before as Part 7. The functionality of Shift crapped out/glitched when I first used it and it was unavailable the remainder of the match. That was hard. Like crushing your nuts between two bricks hard....

On 9/14/2017 at 0:22 PM, Tiffany said:

@Gertz maybe a long shot, but will the rain have any effect on gameplay/abilities? Like can counselors slip or will storms increase counselor fear? Maybe Jason's Sense ability will be hindered by the noise of the rain?

Well in my Sight I'd say that it would increase chances of stumbling in game play, and even while driving the atmosphere may make counselors unable to see which direction their going in, And could increase chancing of stumbling.

On 9/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, Alkavian said:

To be fair Laphin, most people will never be scared by this game or any other horror title.  The general public of NOW, not 20+ years ago, is a bit too jaded and desensitized to horror. I used to watch horror movies with my mom when I was a little kid (30+ years ago). I was the one designated to tell her when it was OK to look.:lol:

I don't think it is being "scared" that you are stressing we need more of specifically. I think it is tension/stress (heightened fight or flight sensation). Shift-grab is a controversial aspect in the game. It doesn't bother me one bit, but hey, a lot of people hate it. They are part of the audience as well and their opinion should be taken into account. I like using shift to get into buildings with counselors as they are frantically trying to close a door and whatnot. I'm more keen on startling them by being in an unexpected place. It builds tension. That is also why I love Stalk. If I get a legitimate jump scare I figure I did my job well. I use Shift-grab to catch people out in the open, because let's be frank, with the current game mechanics/map layouts, it would be very difficult to play a game without Shift-grab.

On a side note:  I did play a match entirely without Shift before as Part 7. The functionality of Shift crapped out/glitched when I first used it and it was unavailable the remainder of the match. That was hard. Like crushing your nuts between two bricks hard....

Then the mechanics gotta be changed up.  As long as the game remains the way it is.. unless they do something to heighten people's immersion with Jason and make it THE legit experience we've come to expect.  No matter what handle you put on the mechanics that are currently in place now, it'll slowly die out.

I'm hoping the rain + darker maps, and whatever else they have coming with those updates, is a step in the right direction at least in terms of immersion and feeling this game gives off.  Because in the end, no matter the mechanics... if the feeling isn't NAILED, it's going to get boring to people as they continue to go through the motions.

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, Laphin said:

Then the mechanics gotta be changed up.  As long as the game remains the way it is.. unless they do something to heighten people's immersion with Jason and make it THE legit experience we've come to expect.  No matter what handle you put on the mechanics that are currently in place now, it'll slowly die out.

I'm hoping the rain + darker maps, and whatever else they have coming with those updates, is a step in the right direction at least in terms of immersion and feeling this game gives off.  Because in the end, no matter the mechanics... if the feeling isn't NAILED, it's going to get boring to people as they continue to go through the motions.

There is certainly room for improvement. I'm all about some darker more foreboding maps. The mood is very important for sure. Mechanics could be adjusted in some cases, but I do think they need to do it incrementally if they plan on doing it. It would be great if they could get a group helping playtest new design choices before they go public. The QA has been pretty limited (I'm being nice on this one). More input and eyes on the material would go a long way to helping improve things without breaking other things.

1 person likes this

On 10/2/2017 at 2:02 PM, Laphin said:

On 9/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, Alkavian said:

I think the rain is going to make the ambience so much more intense! I can't wait. Already an effective Jason chase can still make my heart race. Nothing gets scares like a good stalk, shift grab; especially to a counselor inside trying to aim a gun at a door or wait for you to window hop. Then reappear next to him. Ha! Classic. These are the moments I live for. Though shift on consoles feels a bit clunky, especially getting stuck on an inch of a barrel or side of cabin. 

For Legit experience factor, I would like to be able to grab counselors through windows, like Jason has done a few times throughout the films. Counselors striking you through a windoe but can barely hit them with Savini's long trident is in too much favor for counselors,as well as unrealistic(although I already regret using the term since this is a game off a fictional character, haha)

Is this going to be adding ambient sounds to the game aswell for the wind and the rain, aswell as for the lake?

On 14/09/2017 at 1:05 AM, Gertz said:

Once we had everything working the art team was very nervous about performance on consoles and the hit we would take on PC as well. We fired it up on Xbox One and PS4 to see how much more we would need to optimize to squeeze in rain on all our maps but our initial findings showed hardly any performance hit at all, which had us very excited. This allowed the art team to really start dialing the art in. Adding more wind to the trees, working with Angelo, our VFX artist, to dial in the look of the rain, cranking up the gloss maps on certain textures such as cabins and terrain textures, and even adding a wet look to the characters clothing. Oh and you can’t forget lightning too.

I am assuming this will come with ambient sounds for the weather aswell. I can imagine how creepy it might be hearing the wind whistling through the trees, or the sound of rain hitting the cabin roof. And of course lighting.

Sorry

I have been super busy the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to set aside time to come visit, respond, and comment.

- Gertz

1 person likes this

I miss $1,000,000.

:(

1 person likes this

Just now, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I miss $1,000,000.

:(

Cant help

3 people like this

Apparently this wishing well only does @Gertzes...

... still not disappointed. 

Welcome back! :D

1 person likes this

A W E S O M E

hope it will not make any one lag

Despite what might have been said, the rain is most definitely having a negative effect on Xbox performance. The FPS drops to an almost unplayable rate, especially if you're playing as Jason and trying to Shift. It's extremely noticeable at that point.

PC is also taking a bit of a performance hit, down to 50-60 FPS from 80+. Recent patches have also made the PC version less and less optimized. FPS was always 100+ at the beginning. Now it's basically 55-70 FPS (GTX 1070, High Settings - Not even Epic)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, AldermachXI said:

Despite what might have been said, the rain is most definitely having a negative effect on Xbox performance. The FPS drops to an almost unplayable rate, especially if you're playing as Jason and trying to Shift. It's extremely noticeable at that point.

PC is also taking a bit of a performance hit, down to 50-60 FPS from 80+. Recent patches have also made the PC version less and less optimized. FPS was always 100+ at the beginning. Now it's basically 55-70 FPS (GTX 1070, High Settings - Not even Epic)

You aren't wrong about this. I have seen lobbies with all great pings but in the rainy matches, the FPS gets super choppy. 

I'm really liking the rain/thunderstorms being added to the game, however, I'd like the option to choose the weather setting in a private match. That would be a neat thing to have.