Gertz

Rain!

107 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I would disagree with you on the knocking the power out. I've had the power cut out during the day and I've became scared, so I wouldn't see this as an issue. I mean your home alone, your watching tv and then the power goes out? Wouldn't you kinda be scared? 

It isn't really about if someone in real-frame would be scared. :P

The core game play mechanic is based on a fear system. Each light post on a marked path, each illuminated cabin, having repairable power boxes, and the point of having a flashlight is about mitigating fear in-game using light. Fear is tied to your stamina regeneration, visibility of the mini-map, Jason's sense ability, the odds you'll cry out when he is nearby, the odds you'll stumble, how easy it is to escape a grab, etc.

I'm simply saying the core game mechanic would be drastically impacted on a large scale (there are far more "outdoors" than "indoors"). Counselors would fundamentally become more powerful since fear would have much less impact (especially if they used counter-fear/sense perks). Incorporating a daytime map(s), while maintaining the balance the developers intended within the current system design, is probably not feasible. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Nomadder said:

No... lol, I'd not be scared if I was home alone, watching tv and then the power goes out. :D

I mean, I'd be scared if I saw Jason killing people and then he knocked the power out in my house... but I'd not be hanging out, watching tv.

As he said, the entire game mechanic of fear, darkness, light, would all get screwed up by setting the game during the day. Not saying it should/could never happen, but I don't, for a second, think that is anything they should be working on right now. I don't think the game needs significant alterations to it right now. And I think it'd be best for them to work on getting all the kinks out for a while without drastically changing anything with the base game design - which, taking the game out of the nighttime would do.

If your out in the middle of the woods in a cabin and the power just cuts out during the day your not gonna get scared? 

3 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

It isn't really about if someone in real-frame would be scared. :P

The core game play mechanic is based on a fear system. Each light post on a marked path, each illuminated cabin, having repairable power boxes, and the point of having a flashlight is about mitigating fear in-game using light. Fear is tied to your stamina regeneration, visibility of the mini-map, Jason's sense ability, the odds you'll cry out when he is nearby, the odds you'll stumble, how easy it is to escape a grab, etc.

I'm simply saying the core game mechanic would be drastically impacted on a large scale (there are far more "outdoors" than "indoors"). Counselors would fundamentally become more powerful since fear would have much less impact (especially if they used counter-fear/sense perks). Incorporating a daytime map(s), while maintaining the balance the developers intended within the current system design, is probably not feasible. :unsure:

Yes the Flashlights and stuff make things helpful in getting rid of fear but fear is still a thing even in the day time. There are other ways of getting the fear to go down, find a teddy bear and hug it, or staying with a group that would help encourage players to work together more. Plus even if you knock out the power during the day can still trigger people since Jason is coming after you. Your scared he might be near by as he just took out the power. 

I believe it was stated by the devs the multiplayer portion of the game takes place at the beginning of what would be act 3 of the movies. I believe by the 3rd act of each movie it was dark out.

Single player missions is somewhere I could see them using a daytime setting.

I'm not opposed to a daytime setting. I just don't think the devs planned on using it. 

On topic. Rain looks rad.

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, A.J. Mason said:

I believe it was stated by the devs the multiplayer portion of the game takes place at the beginning of what would be act 3 of the movies. I believe by the 3rd act of each movie it was dark out.

Single player missions is somewhere I could see them using a daytime setting.

I'm not opposed to a daytime setting. I just don't think the devs planned on using it. 

On topic. Rain looks rad.

I do see day time maps in Single player but I don't really see a downside to the maps online with daytime maps. We will see what happens. 

Tho with rain coming in wounder if maybe one day we'll get some snow. Would love to follow blood trails 

19 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

If your out in the middle of the woods in a cabin and the power just cuts out during the day your not gonna get scared? 

Yes the Flashlights and stuff make things helpful in getting rid of fear but fear is still a thing even in the day time. There are other ways of getting the fear to go down, find a teddy bear and hug it, or staying with a group that would help encourage players to work together more. Plus even if you knock out the power during the day can still trigger people since Jason is coming after you. Your scared he might be near by as he just took out the power. 

Ok. To put it simply. That is not how fear reduction works in terms of actual game mechanics. The Devs would have to revise the existing system a bit to make daytime workable on the current maps. They may have day missions on SP. Who knows.

On topic, I am looking forward to rain. Really just ramps up the ambiance. :)

3 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Ok. To put it simply. That is not how fear reduction works in terms of actual game mechanics. The Devs would have to revise the existing system a bit to make daytime workable on the current maps. They may have day missions on SP. Who knows.

On topic, I am looking forward to rain. Really just ramps up the ambiance. :)

I mean adding hugging teddy bears would work. Would make that grave stone useful on PS4 ;) 

As for rain we all forget there might be thunder with it. Make sure to keep Tommy away from the graves, we don't need more dead bodies coming back to life 

giphy.gif

3 people like this

20 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I do see day time maps in Single player but I don't really see a downside to the maps online with daytime maps. We will see what happens. 

Tho with rain coming in wounder if maybe one day we'll get some snow. Would love to follow blood trails 

No snow for me. I live in Wisconsin and get enough of it in real life. Lol. 

On topic. Rain looks really rad.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I mean adding hugging teddy bears would work. Would make that grave stone useful on PS4 ;) 

As for rain we all forget there might be thunder with it. Make sure to keep Tommy away from the graves, we don't need more dead bodies coming back to life 

giphy.gif

corey-feldman-in-friday-the-13th-the-fin

MV5BNmVjOTI2MDctNDJiZC00YjcwLThjYjAtMTZi

f13p6-book-tommy.jpg

#PartOFthePROBLEM

When the solution to the problem is the root of the problem....

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, A.J. Mason said:

No snow for me. I live in Wisconsin and get enough of it in real life. Lol. 

On topic. Rain looks really rad.

I use to live in Michigan so I know the feeling but it would still be cool, it would make tracking players fun, you injure them and they bleed out. Follow the blood. 

2015121618405994.jpg

1 minute ago, Alkavian said:

corey-feldman-in-friday-the-13th-the-fin

MV5BNmVjOTI2MDctNDJiZC00YjcwLThjYjAtMTZi

f13p6-book-tommy.jpg

#PartOFthePROBLEM

When the solution to the problem is the root of the problem....

Maybe he should have stayed home. He isn't the hero, he's the issue. Someone please take Tommy back to the crazy farm! Now where is Foxy? 

1 person likes this

@Gertz the rain looks awesome, but definitely begs the question:  Will it be an on/off/random toggle at he beginning of a match?  Or will it just always have a chance of showing up after the match gets underway?

Also since we're talking initial match setup, what are the chances we can get the Random function of maps broken down a bit into Random All, Random Small and Random Normal?  It would definitely be great to have a little bit more control over the maps but exclude things people don't want to see... my usual play group tends to avoid the small maps, but it forces us to eschew the Random choice and pick a map manually each round.  Not a huge deal, but if we're getting weather choices with the maps soon-ish then might as well throw this suggestion out there.

While everyone is talking about the rain and the new feature it can give i'm like 

"Where's the release date !" lmao :lol:

i mean i'm so happy and hyped for rain like hell going to be my fav maps forever 

and i hope for some jacket dlc B)

1 hour ago, ♣Blond♣ said:

and i hope for some jacket dlc B)

HELL YES! Leather jackets are a must. Can't wait to have my girl AJ rocking some leather jackets. Omg, I need it right now. Give me jackets and the chance of escape with a motorcycle and I'll be the happiest girl on earth. 

1 person likes this

Rain coming soon on Friday The 13th. Thank you Gun Media and Illfonic.

9unfFH5.gif

01.gifBawvkXk.gifIsX5Kbf.gif

I was thinking of how you could implement this into gameplay and I had an idea.

What if you could use lightning as something that could strike you if you were holding the battery? This could also depend on the character's luck rate.

For example: if AJ was walking towards the car with the battery the lightning strikes her and she could either get seriously hurt or Jason gets the ability to spot her from a mile away just for 5 seconds. So AJ would appear to Jason as if he was using his sense ability for just 5 seconds.

3 hours ago, Tiffany_44 said:

I was thinking of how you could implement this into gameplay and I had an idea.

What if you could use lightning as something that could strike you if you were holding the battery? This could also depend on the character's luck rate.

For example: if AJ was walking towards the car with the battery the lightning strikes her and she could either get seriously hurt or Jason gets the ability to spot her from a mile away just for 5 seconds. So AJ would appear to Jason as if he was using his sense ability for just 5 seconds.

First, Introduce yourself please. http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/forum/5-introduce-yourself/

Second and Last, create a topic about this in the Suggestions/Feedback part of the forum. http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/forum/9-friday-the-13th-the-game-suggestionsfeedback/

One thing I'm heavily concerned with.. is when we play our first rain/lightning match, is Jason shift grabbing through the rain.  The rain adds atmosphere, the lightning will add much needed atmosphere, fantastic.  It looks great in the trailer...  BUT, when Jason uses those added weather FX to just Shift Grab people through the weather easier, it'll destroy the whole purpose and immersion that the weather is supposed to be giving.  I hope in some form or fashion, that the rain and lightning change the way the mechanics work, or GUN and ILL will be in for another shitfest with people.

If Jason can SENSE holographic images cleanly in a match like he does now, and shift through to them.. it will kill the experience they've been working hard on.

1 hour ago, Laphin said:

One thing I'm heavily concerned with.. is when we play our first rain/lightning match, is Jason shift grabbing through the rain.  The rain adds atmosphere, the lightning will add much needed atmosphere, fantastic.  It looks great in the trailer...  BUT, when Jason uses those added weather FX to just Shift Grab people through the weather easier, it'll destroy the whole purpose and immersion that the weather is supposed to be giving.  I hope in some form or fashion, that the rain and lightning change the way the mechanics work, or GUN and ILL will be in for another shitfest with people.

If Jason can SENSE holographic images cleanly in a match like he does now, and shift through to them.. it will kill the experience they've been working hard on.

I don't follow your logic. Can you elaborate?

@NthnButAGoodTime  What's there to explain?  Counselors lack of sight and hearing = Jason's shift grab becomes worse to deal with...  which will ruin the intended purpose of the rain and lightning.  I guess it will make more sense once you play it, (if they leave everything as-is mechanically..).

1 hour ago, Laphin said:

Other than the 2-3 second delay you talk about. Shift grabbing is going to be a thing as long as...

1. The maps are brightly lit

2. Melee for non weapon strength Jasons takes forever to kill a team of thick skinned/heavy med counselors

3. The devs decide to dig deep into the game's core gameplay, which is always going to be a hot mess debate at any rate. Which is why they might not, even though they should take the chance.

I'm not saying shift grab is a good thing, but given the choices for Jason due to lack of map depth and heavy handed perks for counselors. What other choices does Jason have? He really can't use melee out of shift because it doesn't have enough range to do any damage. He can only get close enough to melee when counselors are trapped or they actively are going to engage him because they have numbers and need the stun in order to escape, call the cops, etc.

Knives are entirely in the hands of the players in terms of skill, but again you can be the best knife thrower in the game, but when the counselor in front of you has a multiple med spray perk or a thick skin. They can tank them, heal 3 times in front of you and laugh about it.

Jason can be stunned for a portion of 8-12 seconds at times and the counselors can tank 7-8 axe/machete hits and his melee range outside of Part 6/Savini isn't good enough to make melee a worthwhile attack out of shift or even STALK.

I totally agree with your analysis lately about the game lacking immersion and organic play, but concessions have to be made on BOTH sides if the game is ever going to be as immersive as you or me or others would like it to be.

STALK as it stands now, should be featured earlier or made permanent right out of the gate or chosen in a loadout, with each Jason allowing its own load out.

SENSE would need a rework to only allow him to see more movement, like flashing red instead of ALWAYS red and counselors wouldn't be able to hear Jason's music in the rain or it would be muffled.

I KNOW that balancing has to be fair on both sides, that's why the mechanics of the game will have to be changed in order for it to be successful, and scary.. Otherwise, it will remain with the same aggravating feel that it has, where people blame the mechanics for their deaths.

I mean, I'm being blunt as ever, that when I say it... As long as people are having an 'irritated' reaction when they die 90% of the time and they are a well-rounded player that doesn't complain much about dying in-game... then SOMETHING is wrong.  It's bad that even when I DID play with the devs at one point they were getting irritated at their OWN game when Jason shift grabbed them..  I even have it on a youtube video.

It's evident that this game needs to under go an overhaul of some sort in order to make players really "BELIEVE" in Jason.  As it stands, Jason's integrity as a character in this game is.. only that he's an annoyance to the counselor objectives, and he doesn't really FEEL like Jason.

When we all started this game, we were impressed because we knew NOTHING of how the game worked, but as we saw.. and as we digested the mechanics and learned how they functioned, Jason's fearful grace diminished... when he should be feared no matter HOW many matches you play (the same as how the Alien is still kinda scary in Isolation, no matter how many times you fire it up).  Jason shouldn't be OP via mechanics like a "Shift-Grab" to make him scary.. because plain and simple... it's not scary.

The atmosphere, gameplay mechanics, and balancing should work to keep the counselor players on edge, and Jason 'hunting' like Jason should hunt.
That's not happening right now.  And the game is going to have to be overhauled and worked on, if they want to keep a good audience, and not watch this title die out slowly.

1 person likes this

Personally I think the whole rain/lightning thing should be aesthetics only. This way the developers will not have to worry about potential balancing issues, and can continue working on important things rather than create new potential problems.

That being said, the idea that the developers are working hard on the immersion (e.g. clothes getting wet) yet mention nothing about game mechanic changes makes me believe this is the route the developers will take.

2 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Personally I think the whole rain/lightning thing should be aesthetics only. This way the developers will not have to worry about potential balancing issues, and can continue working on important things rather than create new potential problems.

That being said, the idea that the developers are working hard on the immersion (e.g. clothes getting wet) yet mention nothing about game mechanic changes makes me believe this is the route the developers will take.

Well I know if they add rain, it won't just be cosmetic.  In theory, counselors will trip more in the rain, tracking mud into cabins etc.
Maybe they'll experiment with the stuff I talked about to balance on Jason's side... I sure to god hope so.  One can only hope and dream at this point I suppose.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Laphin said:

Well I know if they add rain, it won't just be cosmetic.  In theory, counselors will trip more in the rain, tracking mud into cabins etc.
Maybe they'll experiment with the stuff I talked about to balance on Jason's side... I sure to god hope so.  One can only hope and dream at this point I suppose.

Huh....I didn't think about tracking mud into cabins, that's actually a good idea for immersion, and I could imagine counselors getting mud on their pants/legs when they trip too. In this case, I'm definitely all for those ideas in order to make the experience seem more real.