Gertz

Rain!

71 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

The initial reaction from our Part 4 / Rain announcement has gone over very well! We are excited that the community is happy but wanted to address a concern that came up. People felt since the game is already pretty system intensive that rain would set most machines and consoles over the edge making performance a lot worse. This is a valid concern as particles can be very expensive. Most maps are CPU bound rather than GPU bound from the vast number of items, blueprints and entities that must sync across the network. We have a little more room to play with GPU and the best solution for rain, that not only looks good but is rather efficient for performance, is to use GPU particles.

Initially our art lead, was having issues with GPU rain particles as they would come through the roofs of the cabins and houses. When we moved away from GPU particles we noticed a big performance hit as it was slowing down the CPU which is mostly where we are performance bound. Our initial reaction was to remove the amount of rain particles and make them bigger. This didn’t look that great and we started to think if it would be even possible to do rain at all. We knew the solution would need to be using GPU particles but we just had to figure out how to get it working.

Original CPU particles with larger rain drops but less rain due to performance on the CPU.

HHpZAlsbySLHwwivytrF5rTbdnJhIpT9jWFabUmUgDswlhEDbO7B8eTH74pEvVU4bdXIUaXq1uTiUjaKAZ9t5fRtlVoBrGeZRtbJq1MfScZ6kK1YTFtPRm2i4qTH0QvXTHVK2_rf
Once we had everything working the art team was very nervous about performance on consoles and the hit we would take on PC as well. We fired it up on Xbox One and PS4 to see how much more we would need to optimize to squeeze in rain on all our maps but our initial findings showed hardly any performance hit at all, which had us very excited. This allowed the art team to really start dialing the art in. Adding more wind to the trees, working with Angelo, our VFX artist, to dial in the look of the rain, cranking up the gloss maps on certain textures such as cabins and terrain textures, and even adding a wet look to the characters clothing. Oh and you can’t forget lightning too.

New GPU particles with more rain.

IvZnvIccMjNeUD2DQZsjsHahGYHqC2f_8BVAKSLityDk1Jl82V9qYiPb797_JLjMKDQoqZqrD1B5Bb9YD8iSvF21UbbCmlz6JB_Ky6QibWKcB-si2iE-yOaCNhJsR3zqlcoHi1bw
Players have noticed recently that performance on certain maps have taken a dive. We have spotted these issues and are working hard now to get performance up across all platforms which so far we have been making good strides with. We hope to have this all resolved by the time rain launches as well. So not only will performance be better across the board, you won’t see any additional hits when it comes to rain.

- Gertz

tyrant666, DamonD7, Seeker and 36 others like this

Yesssssss that second pic looks damn good!

Will you be applying the wet-textured look to counselors that jump into the water in non-rainy maps?

Andrew bar likes this

Have you ever experimented with rain planes? They look pretty good in UE4, and you won't get the raining indoors problem.

@Gertz maybe a long shot, but will the rain have any effect on gameplay/abilities? Like can counselors slip or will storms increase counselor fear? Maybe Jason's Sense ability will be hindered by the noise of the rain?

Voorhees_Curse and Barbara Ann like this

Wow! That's great news and looks a lot better than I thought it would.

I can't wait for this update to come. :D 

Thanks for the update. 

@Gertz Kinda off-topic, but with the new wind and the wet look added to the counselors etc, any chance chars like Adam can get their hair fixed to move with the wind and when running like the girls already do?

And possibly and update to the texture of the hair itself? It looks like a ps2 hair texture currently (Sorry i don't mean to offend. Just being honest.). And it being static and unmoving despite being long, just makes it worse.

Regardless, thanks for this. My OCD has been begging for a wet look to clothing anytime i swim in the water and come out dry as a desert.

Just now, AldermachXI said:

There's a turd in the punch bowl.

I mean, just look at the track record, i'm just trying to be realistic here, if it works great, but based on history, ehh. 

1 minute ago, 2moar said:

I mean, just look at the track record, i'm just trying to be realistic here, if it works great, but based on history, ehh. 

You're not wrong, unfortunately. I was just pointing out the negative comment in a good news thread.

NightofthePodcast likes this

If being wet had a gameplay element, it'd be good if cabins offered you the chance to dry off, in the same way they reduce fear too.

Fireplaces and campfires (if the rain was intermittent) could then have gameplay uses by making you dry faster.

I think rain should only trigger when rage does though, and lightning just for the final 2 minute countdown. The films used weather as a method for building atmosphere, and the games should too.

I doubt the rain will be dynamic and progress as the match goes on, but if it did, I think the rain should start long before Jason gets rage. Plenty of my matches end before Jason gets rage.

6 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

If being wet had a gameplay element, it'd be good if cabins offered you the chance to dry off, in the same way they reduce fear too.

Fireplaces and campfires (if the rain was intermittent) could then have gameplay uses by making you dry faster.

I think rain should only trigger when rage does though, and lightning just for the final 2 minute countdown. The films used weather as a method for building atmosphere, and the games should too.

I don't mean to brag, but when I'm Jason, I rarely get to rage, cause I'm too busy mopping the floor with the dead. 😁

So basically I'd never see the rain.

RustInPeace likes this

37 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

I doubt the rain will be dynamic and progress as the match goes on, but if it did, I think the rain should start long before Jason gets rage. Plenty of my matches end before Jason gets rage.

I agree. I've often killed everyone or had the team escape/die pre-rage. Maybe it could be triggered by a bunch of different milestones then?

Rain:

* Rage active, or

* Police called, or

* Half the counselors escaped via vehicles / have been killed, or

* Progress towards a Jason kill has been made.

- All of these roughly represent mid points in a match, depending on the victory condition.

Lightning: (if already raining)

* Last 2 minutes countdown, or

* The police arrive, or

* There's only one counselor left, or

* Almost all progress towards a Jason kill has been made.

- All these points mean the match is almost over, and it'd mean we'd see the full cycle every match.

By Jason kill progress I mean it'd rain if:

* Jason was demasked, or

* Tommy arrived while a girl was wearing the sweater / a girl grabbed the sweater while Tommy was alive.

Lightning would then trigger once both conditions were fulfiled, unless already active.

I'd love it if the weather was a dynamic progress marker in this way.

VooDoo likes this

I don't think they could be so specific as to check whether Tommy has a machete, but stuff like Jason's mask being knocked off or police being called sounds pretty easy.

Well...it seems you can turn the rain/thunder on or off. That or its built in as separate maps. So they aren't forcing this on the playerbase, its a choice just like the small maps.

Either way. Jason has killed regardless of the weather. Lets not make it too complicated.

Hal Bailman and BigJVOOREES like this

5 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Well...it seems you can turn the rain/thunder on or off. That or its built in as separate maps. So they aren't forcing this on the playerbase, its a choice just like the small maps.

Either way. Jason has killed regardless of the weather. Lets not make it too complicated.

I think it's only optional in private matches. Or maybe it's up to the host. Either way it will effectively be forced on you just like small maps are.

1 minute ago, MichaelMemers said:

I think it's only optional in private matches. Or maybe it's up to the host. Either way it will effectively be forced on you just like small maps are.

And yet you can still pick the large maps...

Just now, MichaelMemers said:

If you're the host, yeah. How often is that?

I see random or large maps just as much as small, especially since random tends to pick the small maps constantly.

Point being. You have a choice between the large or small maps. I don't think their stupid enough to make everybody play in rain all the time. They know some of the playerbase will hate it for performance reasons or too much of a Jason buff or counselor nerf or whatever the case may be.

Just now, tyrant666 said:

I see random or large maps just as much as small, especially since random tends to pick the small maps constantly.

Point being. You have a choice between the large or small maps. I don't think their stupid enough to make everybody play in rain all the time. They know some of the playerbase will hate it for performance reasons or too much of a Jason buff or counselor nerf or whatever the case may be.

Yeah, most hosts keep it set to random, which means you'll be playing on small maps half the time whether you want to or not. This can be pretty annoying because Jason isn't nearly as fun to play on small maps, and stealth is completely worthless on those maps so the addition of small maps amounts to a large nerf to AJ, Tiffany and Jenny who was already weak to begin with. Main reason I don't like small maps. Rain isn't likely to have any impact on gameplay, so I don't mind if it is forced on us so long as the devs are sure it won't nuke the game's performance.

34 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Database login failure 

2moar likes this