Cokeyskunk

Escapees should have first chance at coming back as Jarvis

33 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

The only thing that would be "taken away" would be a participation trophy.

Should people not have incentives to do better? Should there not be rewards? Even small ones?? 

Never once did I say "only escapees should get Tommy."

I suggested that escapees get priority in recognition of their accomplishment. That is not taking away others' opportunities. It is creating incentive to do well in the game.

This idea is not greatly different from what is already in place. If two people die, one comes back as Jarvis. The only exception is if one person is able to escape BEFORE Tommy is called or before two people have died. Doesn't an accomplishment like that deserve something?? It certainly doesn't happen every game. Where is the detriment in that reward?

 

Not everything needs a special reward. Your incentive to do well is to not die. (and 200 XP for escaping) The random setup is fine and doesn't need to be changed to give boons to one person over another. 

4 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I'm unsure where the bitterness stems from in the suggestion. How is this a bad thing at all? Just like always, everyone has an equal chance to become Tommy. Your chances just go up if you escape. That's BAD?!

Hm. Everyone has an equal chance to be Tommy, yet your chances go up if you escape. Sounds real equal. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Hm. Everyone has an equal chance to be Tommy, yet your chances go up if you escape. Sounds real equal. 

Of course it is. When you're born, everyone has a chance to be successful in life. Yet your chances go up if you go to college. Is that unfair?

Anyone can do it. There are simply rewards for putting the harder work in. That's the way life is. No one goes to an intern and says, "Okay, it's your turn to be CEO today." CEOs are CEOs because those hired for the job are the people who worked for it.

But STILL. In this situation, you can STILL BE TOMMY simply by dying! It simply seeks to reward those who put forth the time and effort. Why is that a bad thing at all??

Total transparency: I have NEVER played this game. I have pre-ordered the physical disc, but spend a great deal of time watching gameplay on YouTube in the meantime until I finally get to play on 10/13. 

In this situation, will I be Tommy immediately? NO! The people who have put in the time and the work should be until I have earned it. I want the day I finally get to play Tommy to be a huge thing and a great accomplishment. Not just a "Okay, you died. Your turn. Good luck." That's lame.

So, by your argument -- if it were unfair, I should be one of the ones arguing against this. But I'm not -- because I can see what it can and should become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Total transparency: I have NEVER played this game.

You just destroyed your entire argument...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get what you are trying to say but I disagree,people that escaped already got their chance so I feel like people who died should have a higher chance if being tommy to reedeem themselves 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Of course it is. When you're born, everyone has a chance to be successful in life. Yet your chances go up if you go to college. Is that unfair?

 

Yeah. But life isn't meant to be fair. A game is. By your logic I could say "Well everybody has a chance to win, but glitches make your chances go up."  And while that is true, it's disingenuous to the game. 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Anyone can do it. There are simply rewards for putting the harder work in. That's the way life is. No one goes to an intern and says, "Okay, it's your turn to be CEO today." CEOs are CEOs because those hired for the job are the people who worked for it.

 

Yet we all paid the same amount for the game.* Your hard work is rewarded by your counselor escaping or Jason getting kills. Gun doesn't need to send you a puppy or a cupcake in the mail. 

(*Not counting the guys who preordered early and got things about $10 cheaper. This also assumes we are assuming the extra value of a physical copy makes the extra cash a non-issue.) 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

But STILL. In this situation, you can STILL BE TOMMY simply by dying! It simply seeks to reward those who put forth the time and effort. Why is that a bad thing at all??

Why is it something that needs to be changed? I've actually played the game as is, and don't see an issue with it. 

 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Total transparency: I have NEVER played this game. I have pre-ordered the physical disc, but spend a great deal of time watching gameplay on YouTube in the meantime until I finally get to play on 10/13. 

Maybe you should wait until you've played before you try your armchair overhaul. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

In this situation, will I be Tommy immediately? NO! The people who have put in the time and the work should be until I have earned it. I want the day I finally get to play Tommy to be a huge thing and a great accomplishment. Not just a "Okay, you died. Your turn. Good luck." That's lame.

 

Well it's lame, then. But since the game is so fun, I can overlook it this once. 

1 hour ago, Cokeyskunk said:

So, by your argument -- if it were unfair, I should be one of the ones arguing against this. But I'm not -- because I can see what it can and should become.

Who is to say what it can and should become? You? A guy who still hasn't put in a single game? Or maybe Gun, who has said they plan to keep things as is, and who got this whole enterprise running. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies to all. I didn't realize that watching hundreds of hours of gameplay and being excited about the game and wanting to discuss it with other players and make suggestions didn't matter as much as it would if I were a Level 1 player. Thanks for putting me in my place.

I was hoping any and all suggestions would be met logically and taken into consideration. I have seen from the emotional and angry responses that many are taking suggestions personally. I will no longer contribute and will keep my mouth shut until my game arrives so that everything I say won't be completely dismissed. You win. See you in October.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cokeyskunk I don't see any need for you to apologize and I didn't feel any of your opinions should have warranted any antimosity from anyone.  Theory craft, hypothetical situations, and the like are always fun to discuss.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now