Killerfalcon74

Community's opinion on spawn killing?

114 posts in this topic

Personally, I don't mind if Jason begins chasing me before I've searched one drawer. I'm glad to be the distraction while everyone goes to the untrapped objectives. 

My girlfriend, however, can't stand it. She's unlucky and it always seems to be her lol. 

So My group will kick people who do this. I'm not trying to police Jason. He can kill my however he wants. I just consider it bad sportsmanship. 

I was just wondering if my group is the only one who does this? 

Tattooey likes this

It's fair game. Anyone pro player knows that the first few minutes into any match before Jason acquires shift are the most important. The first few minutes will sway how the much carries through. If everyone ends up working together or dragging their feet.

Theres no safer time to install anything then the beginning of the game. Running away from Jason when he doesn't have shift is easy. Just make sure your not caught in a single door cabin or run out of stamina.

Jasons only objective is to kill everyone. Not 1 or 5. Everyone. Regardless if he kills all 8 within the first 3 minutes or right down to the very last few seconds. That is his objective. Yes it sucks to die very early & to die first. Specially before you get a chance to search anything but that's the game. If people can't handle losing then they shouldn't play something that is competitive.

In my opinion it's not bad sportmanship. Its bad sportmanship to kick a player because they killed someone early. Someone always has to die first. Shouldn't matter if it's 30 seconds in or 5 minutes. It's fair game & strategical. The faster you kill players the better your odds are. Letting that 1 person go free can be the difference between 5 people escaping with the police or the car driving off. Jason isn't here to try & appease the counselors or give them a fair chance. He's suppose to be a massive unstoppable force. If Jason isn't pissing people off he isn't doing his job right.

On the flip side of things. Any Jason attempting to kill anyone within the first minute or two into the match is usually indication of a poorly skilled Jason. Not always but most of the time. That should help buy eveyone time to get things done.

was just Jason and ported to the main cabin right away. I got two spawn kills from it. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes  

If there was, phonic would put a cool down timer on teleport.

I consider it to be a dick move and almost never spawn kill as Jason myself. I won't start going after counselors until I've finished laying my traps.

RAGNAR0K N ROLL likes this

I also drive my 4 seater around until it's full. My group is less interested in competition and more focused on entertainment it seems.

I am not into spawn killing. Typically I tell the person at the house I morphed to to get out and run, and they can live. If they fail to comply, I will kill them.

Also, the thing is, I am playing a savage psycho killer. It's my job to kill, so if I am playing with real good groups, I mean real good groups, it isn't off limits. For example, I am usually a solid Jason. I rarely have less than 6-8 kills. Very rarely. Last night I played with a group that was putting in phone fuse and calling cops, had gas and battery for blue car and gas for yellow car before I even had my shift ability. So in under a few minutes, they literally had everything fixed. Between morphing around to prevent certain objectives, I ended up 2/8. Worst performance maybe ever for me. For that group, I wouldn't be ashamed to spawn kill. Sometimes, every objective spawns so close, it makes sense to spawn kill. I can usually avoid it myself by certain strategies and it typically only happens if I did something dumb, so I DON'T shame anyone for doing it. It's part of the game and makes sense for the killer. Just sucks waiting 18 minutes. 

As for my own play, I have been burnt by letting players go right away. I still don't like doing it, and want to give the fair chance because a person or two escaping on me instead of hearing whining doesn't matter. Groups that are good though won't let themselves get killed right away. They can at least dance for a minute or two to buy time for the other campers.

JohnnyKapow and UprightChair like this

I'll never quite understand the "I HAVE to get all 7 or 8" mentality.  I really don't care.  I set my goal to one counselor.  Seriously. I enjoy the chase and trying to get more, but if I don't....oh well. For me, others should have fun whether it be as counselor or Jason so no, I don't spawn kill.  I trap my objectives then hunt.  If I get one or 8, it doesn't matter.  Just a game.  Supposed to be fun, not competitive.  For some, it seems to be about always getting all counselors.  Fuck that.  Did u or I have fun in that match?  That's what I go for. 

2 minutes ago, Y34RX3R0 said:

was just Jason and ported to the main cabin right away. I got two spawn kills from it. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes  

If there was, phonic would put a cool down timer on teleport.

I was not suggesting the game be changed in any way. I'm talking technique, not mechanics.

I do play with one group though thay can request a fair fight with Jason if going to be spawn killed. Meaning they didn't even have a weapon or pick anything out of a drawer, but can grab a weapon and challenge Jason to a no block fight. I think this is pretty honorable.

I don't get butthurt about it if it happens to me - Jason should be able to kill any and every way that he wants - but I typically won't start killing until I have all the objectives trapped. If I find someone in the phone house I tell them to start running away from me immediately and I won't spawn kill them. If they don't run, I go after them. 

But that's all preference. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with spawn killing. I'm actually having a hard time with Jason on the smaller maps, and I'm thinking my polite, no spawn killing-ness may be part of the reason why.

Tattooey likes this

20 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

I'll never quite understand the "I HAVE to get all 7 or 8" mentality.  I really do care.  I set my goal to one counselor.  Seriously. I enjoy the chase and trying to get more, but if I don't....oh well. For me, others should have fun whether it be as counselor or Jason so no, I don't spawn kill.  I trap my objectives then hunt.  If I get one or 8, it doesn't matter.  Just a game.  Supposed to be fun, not competitive.  For some, it seems to be about always getting all counselors.  Fuck that.  Did u or I have fun in that match?  That's what I go for. 

Problem is this game is competitive. The objective is to kill everyone. Now sure it's a personal choice on how you approach this situation but none the less. You kill them all or as many as you can. A lot of us enjoy killing eveyone & take pride in it. You can choose to go soft & give everyone a fair chance & I'm sure people are grateful but there's also people that enjoy a tough challenge. To kick a person for trying is just bad taste. That's like using jenga blocks to play dominos. Your getting upset at people for the playing the game the way it is designed. I doubt people get angry at you for letting them survive.

Y34RX3R0 likes this

6 minutes ago, Tattooey said:

Problem is this game is competitive. The objective is to kill everyone. Now sure it's a personal choice on how you approach this situation but none the less. You kill them all or as many as you can. A lot of us enjoy killing eveyone & take pride in it. You can choose to go soft & give everyone a fair chance & I'm sure people are grateful but there's also people that enjoy a tough challenge. To kick a person for trying is just bad taste. That's like using jenga blocks to play dominos. Your getting upset at people for the playing the game the way it is designed. I doubt people get angry at you for letting them survive.

It really isn't a competitive game. I don't see any leaderboards.  Do you?  I'm not upset with the way anyone plays.  Trust me, the group's I play with cut me no slack.  I choose not to play as Jason most of the time.  Anyone can play how they want I don't care.  However, my main objective is fun first.  And I do play with plenty that take pride in getting everyone.  I personally just don't give a shit about it.  I also think you can still get all without spawn killing.  I certainly don't want to wait 19 min as a spectator, but if it happens...it happens.  I just don't do it to anyone. Do what you want.  I'm sure as a pro gamer you feel differently.  Good for you.  I'm not a pro gamer nor will ever refer to myself as one.  Games can be challenging and fun at the same time. 

DialM likes this

I don't consider myself to be a very good Jason. I'm competent at best. I understand tunneling someone before laying all my traps is going to hurt me in the long run. But if I run into an easy kill while I'm still laying traps I'm going to take it. One less person to potentially burn me later. Maybe I take the role of Jason too seriously. Imitating the movies is what I love about this game, and playing it the way Jason would is how I play (yeah I am too serious as Jason). As counselor I used to die first all the time. I've since learned if you spawn next to a car or the phone, you need to run away. You can come back and search that area again when you know Jason is busy. Now I very rarely am the first person killed, and if I am, I know it was my own fault. To those that won't kill in the first minutes: bless you for being better sportsman than me. I understand your reasoning and respect it. I just can't do it. When I'm Jason, I'm Jason and you need to die regardless of circumstances.

I lay down all my traps first and then go on my killing spree as Jason. Sometimes I get lucky and kill a few at the start that I caught off guard.

When I am a counselor I spawn at the phone box 90% of time and there is Jason waiting for me when I open a door.

Puppy guarding SOB :lol:.

muffin.gif

27 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

It really isn't a competitive game. I don't see any leaderboards.  Do you?

It is a competitive game, just not traditional team VS team competition.  You compete to outsmart and survive against Jason, as well as outlive other players (but not actively outliving like trolling).  Leaderboards mean absolutely NOTHING in the age of the Internet considering how far people go out of their way to cheat, boost, and manipulate scores or wins just for that "recognition".

On topic, spawn killing is fair game.  People don't have to hang around the very first area they start and Jason can only chase you for the first few minutes.  If you don't play smart and move when you hear him, you deserve to be the first dead.  I mean, does ANYONE in the movies want to be the first to die?  Probably not, but it happens.

Max Walker, Tattooey and Y34RX3R0 like this

35 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

It really isn't a competitive game. I don't see any leaderboards.  Do you?  I'm not upset with the way anyone plays.  Trust me, the group's I play with cut me no slack.  I choose not to play as Jason most of the time.  Anyone can play how they want I don't care.  However, my main objective is fun first.  And I do play with plenty that take pride in getting everyone.  I personally just don't give a shit about it.  I also think you can still get all without spawn killing.  I certainly don't want to wait 19 min as a spectator, but if it happens...it happens.  I just don't do it to anyone. Do what you want.  I'm sure as a pro gamer you feel differently.  Good for you.  I'm not a pro gamer nor will ever refer to myself as one.  Games can be challenging and fun at the same time. 

Leaderboards don't dictate whether or not if the game is competitive. Your are competing against Jason just as Jason is competing against the counselors. Thus the game is competitive. Sure maybe not on the level of an MLG tournament. My argument is not for nor against spawn killing but instead kicking people who choose to play that way. Spawn killing is more of a moral code but not grounds for bashing on someone or trying to shame them for it or even kicking them.

On side note I never called myself a pro player but I do know that pro players find the first few minutes of the match the most crucial. I don't think anyone can crown themselves a pro player. That's a label only your opponent can grant you. Either way everyone's preference & criteria of what makes a pro player is different. I'm sure there's a whole world of players that find your playstyle professional so please stop trying to cast stones & focus on the debate.

If people are having issues with dying first & dying quick. Then they need to rethink their strategy. Some players choose to move away from objectives as soon as they spawn & some choose to move towards them. Some actually remain near the objective out of some misguided sense that Jason owes them a fair chance. Now that's up to the player whose Jason. Commendable if you let them live but not unethical if you choose not to. If your unable to escape Jason before he has shift then it's probably good advice to get away from that car & phone box. If a player dies within the first two minutes you can't blame Jason for doing what he was chosen to do.

Some people aren't skilled as Jason. Once the ball starts rolling the only real oppertunity they have to kill anyone is at the beginning. Some players find this time difficult to survive where others find it easier when they are better supplied. Does it suck to die that fast yes of course no one likes spectating but how is that different then one of the cars escaping at the beginning. I've seen that countless times. A vehicle being repaired & full escape within the first couple minutes. Does Jason kick those players or bash on them for not giving him a fair chance to kill some of them or even trap the vehicle?

2 minutes ago, Tattooey said:

Leaderboards don't dictate whether or not if the game is competitive. Your are competing against Jason just as Jason is competing against the counselors. Thus the game is competitive. Sure maybe not on the level of an MLG tournament. My argument is not for nor against spawn killing but instead kicking people who choose to play that way. Spawn killing is more of a moral code but not grounds for bashing on someone or trying to shame them for it or even kicking them.

On side note I never called myself a pro player but I do know that pro players find the first few minutes of the match the most crucial. I don't think anyone can crown themselves a pro player. That's a label only your opponent can grant you. Either way everyone's preference & criteria of what makes a pro player is different. I'm sure there's a whole world of players that find your playstyle professional stop trying to cast stones & focus on the debate.

If people are having issues with dying first & dying quick. Then they need to rethink they strategy. Some players choose to move away from objectives as soon as they spawn & some choose to move towards them. If your unable to escape Jason before he has shift then it's probably good advice to get away from that car & phone box. If a player dies within the first two minutes you can't blame Jason for doing what he was chosen to do.

Some people aren't skilled as Jason. Once the ball starts rolling the only real oppertunity they have to kill anyone is at the beginning. Some players find this time difficult to survive where others find it easier when they are better supplied. Does it suck to die that fast yes of course no one likes spectating but how is that different then one of the cars escaping at the beginning. I've seen that countless times. A vehicle being repaired & full escape within the first couple minutes. Does Jason kick those players or bash on them for not giving him a fair chance to kill some of them or even trap the vehicle?

Doesn't matter.  It is all a matter of opinion so we can just keep going around in the same circle here.  Best to wrap it up with "to each their own".   Play how you want.  No rules against it.  Spawn killing isn't a ban worthy offense.  So, in the end it comes down to play how you want to play.  

Killerfalcon74 likes this

10 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Doesn't matter.  It is all a matter of opinion so we can just keep going around in the same circle here.  Best to wrap it up with "to each their own".   Play how you want.  No rules against it.  Spawn killing isn't a ban worthy offense.  So, in the end it comes down to play how you want to play.  

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Tattooey said:

My sentiments exactly. Tho I must ask. Do you feel like spawn killing is worthy of a ban?

Why would I feel it is ban worthy?  It is part of the game.  I just feel it is cheap.  Especially with running Jasons.  Only so many places one can go and not everyone uses Tiffany or Vanessa.  And not every player morphs to objectives first.  Some go for power boxes first.  So, to say "get away from objectives" isn't always necessarily the best advice.  Sometimes it just doesn't matter where you are.  And some players won't even grab the knives first which makes it even quicker.  Not to mention the fact that sometimes you spawn in the middle of bum fuck nowhere and have to run a while just to get to a house.  If Jason happens to spawn there, you don't even have time to lock a door and are low on stamina.  So, those factors considered are why I don't spawn kill.  

I don't see anything wrong with it personally because it is pretty easy to avoid and waste Jason's time before his abilities kick in during the early stages of a round. As Jason I don't do it myself, unless they start messing with objectives. I typically trap and once shift kicks in, it's time to hunt.

The only one that does bother me is Tommy getting killed while the cut scene is playing, seen this happen quite a few times and it's really cheap. That needs to be changed so the actual Tommy character does not spawn into the map until after the cut scene because how it is right now he spawns into the map and is standing still/defenceless during the duration of that cut scene. -_-   

I'm 100% with maddogg. I think spawn killing sucks. I don't do it because it's shitty to sit around for 19 minutes while other people play the game. I play this game for one reason and that is to have fun. My idea of that isn't to ruin the experience for others. 

If you enjoy spawn killing as Jason, then more power to you. I'm a decent enough Jason that I can get my trapping done before I kill anyone and usually end up with 6-8 kills.

To clarify, I would never insist it be a banable offense. It's just not what we want in our group.

Thanks for the discussion, guys. I see the community is pretty evenly divided on the tactic. 

29 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Well said