damnenchiladas

NEVER HIKE ALONE

111 posts in this topic

Hey All - Never Hike Alone has been very busy but we are still in production. We are also going to return to Kickstarter next week for a whole new campaign. I'll post more about it in the coming week, just wanted to give anyone who is interested a heads up:

15875303_277668969314550_598330147588309

15894522_277219626026151_258142544730841

15781504_274868226261291_484406131235050

DamonD7 likes this

Thanks for the replies.

Powell - No we did not go on hold. Instead we were contacted by a very big Friday fan who wanted to come in and pool resources to get more of it completed. This time around we created a brand new trailer based on scenes from the actual film rather than a "concept trailer" only built to sell the idea. We still have to film the ending which requires a lot of practical fx and equipment. Once filming is complete, the film will go through post-production - music, sfx, vfx, titles, color, di, and final output. 

Our original intention was to make the film 22 minutes - at the minimum - much like a 1/2 hour tv episode. However, after just tallying the footage we have to date, we could possibly be between 30-40 minutes.  

Dave - We have a lower goal this time around so I was able to make the tiers more simple and affordable.

This really isn't public info, but hell, we have 4 days to go and you both have been around the project for a while so....

1 minimum for a credit

5 for (5) piece sticker pack.

15 for custom enamel pin designed to look like our mask

25 for shirt (1 of 2 choices) Black NHA Logo shirt or a Yellow Original-Designed Camp Crystal Lake Councilor Shirt (See below) 

50 for 22x28 poster re-designed by Crash Cunningham himself

100 for a bundle back. Everything there, including both t-shirts, and the NHA duffle bag

First 25 who donates 100 or above is eligible to attend a secret screening of the film at the actual camp we filmed it at in the middle of the woods.

All who donate 150 or over are invited to the screen + receive a screen used prop. 

250+ get producer-level credits (Associate - EP) and a major props all based on separate tiers. 

This is kinda of what the shirt will look like. Don't mind the text, this is a teaser image our marketing campaign. Quality is also shit due to it being shared from facebook. 

Thanks for keeping up with us. I'll post the link in here when we go live Friday! 

15776832_275565756191538_331538738438720

Davidt likes this

Rad! The pins are cool. I just got my first test prints. 

Goal is $13,000 this time around and we got to 27,500 last time. 13 isn't exactly all we need but it'd be enough to get us through principle for sure after KS and the Rewards. 

More importantly, we want our backers to walk away with something this time. 

Great questions! Thanks for asking. Here are our answers...

CrazyRalph - The inspiration came from blending my favorite costume elements from over the years with tweaks in places I thought could be an improvement. Take for example the jacket. In JX, FvJ, and 2009, I was not a fan of it, at all. Not the idea of it, but rather the execution never sat quite well with me. It was bulky, distracting, and such a departure from the classic look I just never really bought in. 

My theory was that if the jacket was less bulky and resembled more of a beefed up version of the classic dickies button up, it would have a better shape and feel when on the character. 

Pants and boots are straight forward. No utility belt, machete holder, or anything else that could potentially pull the viewers attention away from the upper body, and more specifically, the mask. 

The hock was custom created by CFX in Louisiana and it the biggest change.  Every replica hock I bought and tried did not feel right with the new look we were going for. Also, replicas tend to be thin and flimsy. This mask is thick, solid as a rock, with a texture and shape based off of some old, creepy ass photos of real masks. 

It has no damage because it is not the original mask from 1980's. That one is long gone and Jason simply rummaged through the old sports equipment bins at the camp for something new. We don't show that moment in the film, but we do show where the sports equipment was kept. 

The Hood and Arm appliances are also from CFX and can actually be purchased by anyone. They are silicone based, super comfy, flexible, and look great. I used to have a more accurate screen damaged latex hood, but it was stiff and continually popped out of my shirt every time I moved to fast. 

If I didn't get the custom hock made, I probably would have designed the hood with all the bells and whistles in terms of damage. Our FX artist Kelsey is actually going to work with me after this film on a custom hood and hands for future cosplay and film projects. It would like as if we got the Paramount Part 9 we always wanted to see. 

As far as where it takes place, simply 37 years after the original murders. The Night at Camp Blood is considered one of the most famous of the crimes and single day massacres in American History. Think Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Jim Jones...Pamela Voorhees. However, the details on the events after that came after are hazy and considered simply legend in modern day society.

More than ever, we live in a world of fact checking and logic. In that world, there is no room for undead corpses to be walking the Earth, right? At least, that's what our main character thinks when he accidentally finds the camp. 

Speaking of which, in this story the camp has been untouched since 1980. Basically, however Steve Christy and the kids left it, that's how it stands today except weathered an worn. There are elements of the crime scene still around as well as personal items and belongings. I know it goes against part 6 canon, but being that all F13th fils often get leeway on continuity, that's where I am using my get out of jail free card. 

We also explore a new theory on where Jason and his mother would have lived while at the camp, but I'll stop there and let you figure that out when the film is release. What I will say is that this film scratches the surface of a much bigger story and hopefully we'll be able to continue this into future chapters. 

------

BewareofBears - Our actor Andrew Leigthy is an established model and up and coming actor. He already has a group of fans (mostly ladies) who follow his social media accounts and other things of that nature. More than anything it's for them and they do support him. He's also a charming, lovable guy who we think will win points over with the fans as well. 

Trust me, I didn't expect anyone from the Friday Fan sites to pick team Kyle and was surprised when I saw that tag popping up more often than Jason at one point. 

------

Thank you again for your interest in the project. If you have any more questions just let me know. I'll try to check in every so often. 

DamonD7 likes this

Ahhh now those explainations I can get behind! Good solid takes and theories! I like how there is a sports bin and he could find a new mask in there to get..ingenius! Why the hell didnt anyobe else in the majors pick up on sonething like this??! Personally, i dont like the whole jacket idea, just never liked the look or that jason just "found" it to put on. I dont know. Not that it looks bad, conceptually it just doesnt mesh with me, but it has its fans. Im a filmproducer myself and I know how challenging film projects can be. Especially when it comes to budget.

I get the idea of your marketing campaign but without knowing or caring who Kyle is- what incentive is there to actually be on #teamkyle?

Well how often if any times do people root for the serial killer in movies? the only time i find myself doing so is if there is an annoying character i want dead asap.

Ahhh now those explainations I can get behind! Good solid takes and theories! I like how there is a sports bin and he could find a new mask in there to get..ingenius! Why the hell didnt anyobe else in the majors pick up on sonething like this??! Personally, i dont like the whole jacket idea, just never liked the look or that jason just "found" it to put on. I dont know. Not that it looks bad, conceptually it just doesnt mesh with me, but it has its fans. Im a filmproducer myself and I know how challenging film projects can be. Especially when it comes to budget.

Thanks Man! The thing I like about the jacket it allows Jason to show off that he is wearing his mother's sweater. The other explanation is that by the time part 8 completed, his clothes were shredded. After that he just grabbed whatever he could find and ended up the jacket. 

However, the only thing worse that the big baggy jacket designs....JTGH tucking his fucking shirt in. lol God I hate everything about that film. 

Well how often if any times do people root for the serial killer in movies? the only time i find myself doing so is if there is an annoying character i want dead asap.

I agree. You HAVE to like the characters in order to feel any sort of terror while watching the film. I watch horror to get scared, not to get off on uber-violence.

Our character, and actor, should come off as fun and like-able. He's adventurous, funny, and brave. His character is heavily influence by a mixture of Matt Damon in The Martian and James Franco in 127 hours. Similar filming style too with a mixture of found footage, confessionals, and traditional camera work. 

Now that I think about it, before making this film I hated the jacket and the concept of found footage. I guess this was my way of saying, if you are going to do this, then do it this way. 

Yooo hes wearing his moms sweater also in your film! Badassss I think you have totally won me over! You got some solid ideas in your film boss!

I know its probably too late you may be done with principle already, but it would be cool to add those raggid black nails he had from part 4 in there to kindve suggest it may be after that time. It could (hypothetically) sit somewhere after 4 and before 6. Maybe he survived somehow at the end of 4 if a fresh yet coagulated wound was seen and he died sometime after...

I get what you're saying but Jason's an established icon of horror where as Kyle is someone I only found out existed yesterday. ;)

I have to admit I've always rooted for Norman Bates.

Lost internet last night in the middle of posting replies! 

Yooo hes wearing his moms sweater also in your film! Badassss I think you have totally won me over! You got some solid ideas in your film boss!

I know its probably too late you may be done with principle already, but it would be cool to add those raggid black nails he had from part 4 in there to kindve suggest it may be after that time. It could (hypothetically) sit somewhere after 4 and before 6. Maybe he survived somehow at the end of 4 if a fresh yet coagulated wound was seen and he died sometime after...

Thanks man! Not too late, we do have our make up artist put black on the nails. It's not that noticeable in most of the shots. They are also not pitch black. The gloves I wear have a nice set of nasty nails on them, but they are flesh colored at the base. 

But again, if I had a larger production budget at the start of all this, the gloves would have been built with black nails for sure. 

I get what you're saying but Jason's an established icon of horror where as Kyle is someone I only found out existed yesterday. ;)

I have to admit I've always rooted for Norman Bates.

Oh I totally get you on this. But like I said, Andrew, our actor, has an established fanbase as well. It was more for them than for anyone. When we ran that ad campaign in the original KS, I was surprised how many teamkyles popped up. 

Nah i fondly remember going to see f13 part 6 and 7 at the drive in theatres and mostly everyone rooting and cheering for Jason.

Of course, but with part 6 I would also say Friday fans were rooting just as hard for Tommy as well.

The kids in part 7 and 8 were built to be more antagonistic towards one another. 2009 did that too and I didn't really like it. I think there is more impact in a film when characters who actually care about each other have to watch their friends get hacked to death, or stumble across their mutilated bodies. 

The difference is the audience either feeling like "ha, good, finally, fuck that tool" vs. "No, no! NOOOOOOO!" The previous is certainly fun when used correctly, but the second feeling is the one that stays with you after you leave the theater. 

However, I would say the worst feeling when a character dies is "meh, whatever." 

Very very awesome! New trailer couldnt be better. Probably will be better than the new f13 film to come out..im sure they will mess it up.

Have faith my friend. Breck Eisner is a solid director. I remember watching the Crazies a long ways back and thinking he'd be a good fit. The whole scene on the farm with the mother and kid in the closet reminded me of a similar scene in part 3. I actually gave Last Witch Hunter a chance last night too and was pleasantly surprised. Actually saw and interview with him discussing that film and the guy generally does his home work and cares about what he's doing. He's not some commercial / music video director who only wants to advance his career. 

Not to mention the writer from Prisoners Aaron Guzikowski writing a story involving undead Jason makes me feel safe. Very tough to go in and mess with origins when you're working on the backside of the timeline. I know they want to tinker with the supernatural, and that could be dangerous, but the guy has skill.

Honestly, look at the teams behind the films since it went to New Line. This is the best shot the series has had in a looooooooooooong time. 

As far as 2009 goes, I had big homes but did not leave the theater satisfied. I respect Shannon and Swift for their fandom and I might even give them a pass for the way it turned out, but my full blame is on Nispel. Everything I have ever heard about that set is that he was a pain in the ass and wasn't even all that interested in the film. Same goes for the cinematographer. No passion for the project, just another paying gig in a long line of paying gigs. 

As for Forum and Fuller, their love for Friday is real. You can hear it in their voices when they talk about it. There is passion there. They want to do good. This isn't a pay check for them. Thanks to Fuller we are not waiting on Paranormal Activity the 13th but a REAL F13th. 

So, yeah, keep your expectations tempered, but there are more reasons to be hopeful this time around. 

CrazyRalph likes this

I genuinely hope your right! But if so or if not, looks like your short film will tide us over for our Jason urges!

Me too haha. Something's gotta give though. I had sky high hopes the last time and walked away confused. They double-downed on some concepts that sounded great in theory but just didn't feel right in execution. Plus, I was really let down with the lack of interesting kills. Axe throw is a highlight for the entire series though. It was the only moment in the theater when I openly cheered. 

Watched the trailer again, I really enjoyed it. The blank mask looks great, it's in line with the films but unique to your project. I cringe when I see most fan films or fan trailers. Batman: Dead End set the bar pretty high for fan films in my opinion.

I hope you guys reach your final funding goal and I hope the film attracts the attention to your group of filmmakers' talents you're seeking.

Watched the trailer again, I really enjoyed it. The blank mask looks great, it's in line with the films but unique to your project. I cringe when I see most fan films or fan trailers. Batman: Dead End set the bar pretty high for fan films in my opinion.

I hope you guys reach your final funding goal and I hope the film attracts the attention to your group of filmmakers' talents you're seeking.

Thanks man. I have to check out this Batman short! I love me some caped crusader!