Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpleFloyd

As a non-online gamer, is this worth getting?

29 posts in this topic

Hi all ... long time lurker, first post.

As a huge Friday fan I had high hopes for this game, but the lack of single player continues to be very disappointing. I'm not an online gamer. My internet connection isn't great, and due to work commitments I don't have the time to spend hours getting decent enough to play against 'proper' online players.

Is this the sort of game where unless you've got decent skills you're going to get hammered online (I'm thinking COD), or can you choose the level of players you go up against (ie. fellow newbies)?

Single player was set to come out this summer.  Technically they have a week or 2 left until the end of summer, but I haven't heard any news about it as of late.  Same thing with physical copies being sent out.

The game is actually pretty simple really.  Not too hard to figure out, you should get the hang of it rather quickly.  It's not super competitive in nature.  If you get together with a good group of players, they'll help you learn the game.  The community for the most part is a pretty good community.  Very friendly and interactive.

The best way I can describe the game is a giant game of cat and mouse.  There's a lot of searching involved.

I would say starting out, playing as a counselor is a lot easier because you can lean and depend on other counselor's.  As counselor's, you're kind of on a team together.  All you're really doing as a counselor is searching for items.  It's a lot simpler than playing Jason.

I find playing Jason, while still fun, is also somewhat stressful.  Jason's all alone and needs to do things on his own.  He has no one to lean on.  All the pressure is on you to get those kills.  Learning how to kill, using throwing knives, shift timing, how to use your abilities as well as when to use them and manage them, takes some skill.  

Your first time as Jason, you might only get 2 kills out of 7, and you probably won't get a good feel for Jason until 4 or 5 times in playing as him.  I remember the first time I played Jason, it felt weird to me.  Almost awkward.  For you just starting out, it might be worse because you're behind the curve.  The games been out since the end of May now and most of the community has been playing since day 1.  Counselor's have gotten a lot better and as a result, playing as Jason has gotten more difficult.

23 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I say wait for single player in your case.

Cheers for the advice ... thought they would be the case, but wanted to check in case I was missing out.  Just hope they announce SP before the physical release next month, though I'm not holding my breath!

B0bZomb1e likes this

Honestly the game is fun, but i would advice you to either skip this one or wait till single player comes out an then we can give you better advice.

Theres no telling if single player will be worth it or not, seeing as there's no info on it at all.

Theres no lobbies to choose from so no you cannot play with just newbies, an at this point i dont run into many new players at all...an most people are try hards and complainers, not that theres no cool people out there, but they are probably in the minority.

Honestly, if your determined, rent it or buy it when you know youll have a day or two to play an see if you like it, if not, return it.  

Hope this is helpful.

24 minutes ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

Single player was set to come out this summer.  Technically they have a week or 2 left until the end of summer, but I haven't heard any news about it as of late.  Same thing with physical copies being sent out.

The game is actually pretty simple really.  Not too hard to figure out, you should get the hang of it rather quickly.  It's not super competitive in nature.  If you get together with a good group of players, they'll help you learn the game.  The community for the most part is a pretty good community.  Very friendly and interactive.

The best way I can describe the game is a giant game of cat and mouse.  There's a lot of searching involved.

I would say starting out, playing as a counselor is a lot easier because you can lean and depend on other counselor's.  As counselor's, you're kind of on a team together.  All you're really doing as a counselor is searching for items.  It's a lot simpler than playing Jason.

I find playing Jason, while still fun, is also somewhat stressful.  Jason's all alone and needs to do things on his own.  He has no one to lean on.  All the pressure is on you to get those kills.  Learning how to kill, using throwing knives, shift timing, how to use your abilities as well as when to use them and manage them, takes some skill.  

Your first time as Jason, you might only get 2 kills out of 7, and you probably won't get a good feel for Jason until 4 or 5 times in playing as him.  I remember the first time I played Jason, it felt weird to me.  Almost awkward.  For you just starting out, it might be worse because you're behind the curve.  The games been out since the end of May now and most of the community has been playing since day 1.  Counselor's have gotten a lot better and as a result, playing as Jason has gotten more difficult.

That's very useful detail, thanks for sharing.  I've watched the trailers and read the game reviews but it still wasn't entirely clear how the game works at this level.

Doesn't sound quite as daunting as I thought it would be ... I'm holding on for the physical copy (call me old school by I like a disc over a download!) but I think I might be persuaded to pick it up next month even if the SP isn't out yet.

I'd really wait until we see how single player plays out, and then wait for a sale if it turns out you still want it.

2 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

As a huge Friday fan I had high hopes for this game, but the lack of single player continues to be very disappointing. I'm not an online gamer. My internet connection isn't great, and due to work commitments I don't have the time to spend hours getting decent enough to play against 'proper' online players.

Is this the sort of game where unless you've got decent skills you're going to get hammered online (I'm thinking COD), or can you choose the level of players you go up against (ie. fellow newbies)?

Hi there,

like you I was never really an online gamer, other than World of Warcraft a while ago. I have always played single games and enjoyed them because I could play at my own pace and do with them as I pleased.

For me, this game plays alright online. I play 2-3 matches at a time. This is not a bad way to enjoy the game as I tend not to have to get involved with glitchers and trolls. I can easily set aside an hour or so to game without having to worry.

I have found that if you watch a few videos and read a few articles you can really close the gap as far as skill requirement to play the game. Knowledge is half the battle, and can make up for the lack of constant practice.

Because of the random nature of this game, you won't have to feel left out too long from the fun or the skill gap. Even the best players die a lot because of bad spawns or lucky Jasons.

I would not suggest focusing on playing as Jason though, as this does require some practice and skill. You will play as him from time to time. The ribbing you will get for not being the best Jason is not too bad, and most people are generally kind.

Obviously you might get called out sometimes as being a weaker Jason or for making a mistake here or there, but honestly, being straight forward about your skill level and trying to have fun will get you through.

If this is the kind of thing you think you will enjoy, it is worth checking out. Try watching a few videos online first, see if they look like fun.

Current state of the game...I'd say no.  I'd love to tell you yes, but I really cannot.   It is a fun game....when it works.  There is that phrase again.   When it works.   I'd say wait til at least October for physical copy to see if it improves. 

Bewitched and Mr.Unknownyt like this

I'd say wait until single player comes out. Why get the game now when you have poor internet connection? The games servers are struggling now to begin with so finding a match will be difficult I assume. Also you can't choose who you play with in a public match unless you bring a party in with you. Just because someone may be max level doesn't mean they're any good. Playing online is hard both ways. As Jason it's hard because you have no help chasing down and murdering the other players so you have to do everything on your own. Sure being a counselor allows you to team up with other players but it's also easier for Jason to find you guys and hack you to pieces. But like I said, until single player comes out or the games servers get better, just wait.

I would say yes, play the game. I do not play any other games online, this is the only one. I became interested because of the source material obviously, but then just before release I watched a few videos on Youtube and I was sold. 

The game has tech issues but I don't find that I experience anywhere near the amount of frustration that a lot of others do. More often than not this game is some of the most fun that I have ever had with a 3rd person scenario.

I prefer to play as a counsellor for the simple fact that I enjoy helping others and I enjoy being killed by Jason. As a huge fan of the films it irks me when a ton of counsellors escape. In the films usually only one person survives. It isn't annoying to me at all when Jason catches me, and some of the kills are very creative and hilarious.

Playing Jason is still fun, and my fav is sackhead from Part 2. He's not really strong, but he can jog and he has a ton of traps. Very satisfying to hear someone step into a trap and then morph over to them for some murdering goodness. 

I don't find that newbies "suffer" from a lack of experience. Any time that I have been in a match with new people all of the other gamers have been more than willing to offer help and support, and it usually ends up in a lot of laughs and semi-terrified chaos.

This isn't like COD online. This isn't 15 year olds screaming at you competing for achievements. This isn't ridiculously fast paced. You have time to breathe. You can actually enjoy this game and there are many ways to play. You can hide on your own, you can team up with people and try to enact a means of escape (car, boat, police), you can attempt to fight Jason to distract him while others survive, you can respawn as Tommy and return to save people or get some payback, etc. 

What I like about this game is that even if someone playing a counsellor has 100 hours experience, you still (as a newbie Jason) have a great chance of killing them...and if you are a newb playing against Jason, you still have other people to help you, and the learning curve is not steep at all, and getting killed is fun and funny.

When playing as Jason sometimes I only get 2 or 3 kills, and I'm level 53. It's all great fun. You'll find friends to play with almost right away. As soon as I log into my PS4 and it shows that I am online I usually get game invites pouring in. 

If you play on PS4 my gamer tag is JohnnyKapow so just send me a friend request (if you want) and mention Friday the 13th in the message. If you are not on PS4 then I have no doubts that you will find other people to welcome you with open bear traps into the murder fest of Crystal Lake. 

Last thing...it is easier to make friends if you use a mic. Talking during the game not only makes it easier to help each other, it's always a source of amusement and really adds a lot of depth to the experience. And it's always great to laugh with others, and chatting in the death lobby while observing the rest of a match can be awesome. 

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

The game is TOTALLY worth getting, but there is a catch (currently).  Like @JohnnyKapow and @Maddogg_8121 said, it has some technical problems (matchmaking sh!ts the bed periodically and disconnections for various reasons are the main) and the Russian Roulette of getting random good/troll players would make you crazy if you only played 2 or 3 games and made a judgement call.  If you can get past all the garbage the bugs or terrible players throw at you and make some friends from this board, you just might like it. 

I personally can't suggest waiting on single player because I do not know what their idea for it is yet.  It could be well fleshed out with a VERY loose "story" for missions (ala Hitman) or it could just be bots in a multiplayer-type setting seeing you as Jason killing everyone.

1) Great game.

2) Steep learning curve for new players in regards to survival.

3) Wait for single player so you can practice.

4) Give them time to patch some bugs.

7 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

That's very useful detail, thanks for sharing.  I've watched the trailers and read the game reviews but it still wasn't entirely clear how the game works at this level.

Doesn't sound quite as daunting as I thought it would be ... I'm holding on for the physical copy (call me old school by I like a disc over a download!) but I think I might be persuaded to pick it up next month even if the SP isn't out yet.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a physical copy.  I understand what you mean, but I think physical copies are on the back burner for them, as I thought they would've already been out by now.

Single player video games are a lost art unfortunately and this game is no different.  From the get go and the way the game is built, it was always supposed to be a multiplayer game first and foremost and the devs have stated this on numerous occasions.  I also wonder what their idea of single player is.  Because for me, single player would mean some sort of story mode, with unique cinematics, chapters or levels to complete, and a story line.  Something that should have lots of development, is immersive, and takes many hours of gameplay to complete.  Unfortunately, I don't see that for this game.  The single player is probably nothing more than an offline multiplayer version of the game with bots and specific situations set up like kill a counselor without them seeing you or escape without Jason hurting you.

10 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

No on choose your skill level.

Even if your decent you can get hammered. (Your up against Jason after all) 

The game dosen't take that long to learn but expect to die a few times before getting a grip on how to play and your first couple times as Jason can be rough.

Even if you have a good connection like I do the game's servers hiccup pretty bad sometimes so that is a concern. 

This game isn't overly competitive like COD is and you can play a few matches every once in a while in between workshifts. (I work fifty hours a week)

The game is a good time most of the time. Ultimately it's up to you if you want to take a chance on it. I did and I have a lot of fun with it. 

I'd say wait for Single Player, or when a decent patch comes out. Otherwise, I don't really recommend the game at the state of it right now.

2 hours ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

Single player video games are a lost art unfortunately and this game is no different.  From the get go and the way the game is built, it was always supposed to be a multiplayer game first and foremost and the devs have stated this on numerous occasions.  I also wonder what their idea of single player is.  Because for me, single player would mean some sort of story mode, with unique cinematics, chapters or levels to complete, and a story line.  Something that should have lots of development, is immersive, and takes many hours of gameplay to complete.  Unfortunately, I don't see that for this game.  The single player is probably nothing more than an offline multiplayer version of the game with bots and specific situations set up like kill a counselor without them seeing you or escape without Jason hurting you.

Yes I have a feeling that the single player is gonna basically be the same game but playable offline with bots, which suits ME just fine. I love the films but let's be honest, there's not a lot going on plot wise. Boiled down it's Jason murdering people. Most of the stuff in between is simply teens being idiots, being sexual, or some person (the town crazy, a previous victim, etc) trying to warn people and nobody believes them until it's too late.

I agree that single player games a re a lost art. When COD: Infinite Warfare was released I was asking people how it was. Their replies? "The multiplayer SUCKS!". Over on Metacritic, same thing. The game was getting 1/10 or 0/10 reviews, and the write ups by players all said negative things about the multiplayer, with NO mention of the single player. I don't play COD games (or any games other than F13th) for multiplayer. I finally read a good review of the single player, bought the game and LOVED it. It's one of the coolest (not original) sci-fi stories that I have played through. Reason being is that I am a Battlestar Galactica fan, and the campaign was very much BSG except instead of Cylons you are fighting human colonists from Mars. Problem is...I finished the campaign in about 5 or 6 hours, and I take my time and never rush through a game.

Somewhat of a letdown, but the nature of the beast nowadays is that devs have to have a HUGE multiplayer component or else kids don't wanna play for some reason, and kids (teens) make up most of the buying market for games. That means the single player stuff which used to be great, with long and interesting campaigns like in Half Life 2, become low priority.

Because I buy almost all of my games digitally I really wish that companies would offer the games as a whole package, or give you the option to only buy the component that you want, single player or multiplayer. I hate paying for a ton of content and features that I am NEVER going to use...let alone wasting the HD space. 

I am picturing Friday the 13th single player appealing to me the way Left 4 Dead appeals to me. I always play L4D single player when I wanna kill zombies. It delivers exactly what I want, zombie killing action, and the AI of the teammates isn't bad. If Friday the 13th can keep me entertained the same way then I will be happy.   

4 hours ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

Because for me, single player would mean some sort of story mode, with unique cinematics, chapters or levels to complete, and a story line.  Something that should have lots of development, is immersive, and takes many hours of gameplay to complete.  Unfortunately, I don't see that for this game.  The single player is probably nothing more than an offline multiplayer version of the game with bots and specific situations set up like kill a counselor without them seeing you or escape without Jason hurting you.

They've openly said thats what we're getting. From what we've been told it'll be those little one off scenarios that recreate some scenes from the films and we'll have just an offline version of the standard MP mode with bots controlling the counselors. Thats all this game needs though. There isnt a way you could do a proper "story" mode within this type of game. Just wouldn't work. F13 isnt a narrative driven game, hell its not even a narrative driven film series. 

some people (including myself) think single player will be similar what john wick said and basically you take your targets out 1 by 1 which will be awesome

For the record, Gertz said in reply to questions that single player was missions and offline bot. 

Both of those things. 

As a side note, the main menu screen was changed for pc last patch. There is now far more room on the menu side, and they have moved the date and welcome message to the other side. 

Also, the date is stuck on 10/08/2017. 

I despise online multiplayer. Always have. Playing games like COD and Overwatch are forms of punishment that I only endure to stay close to my nephew, and even then only play a handful of times. 

This game is completely different. I work full-time, go to school full-time, and have two kids under 5, and a wife. But I never feel like I'm so far behind everyone else, even playing in lobbies with people who have amassed hundreds of hours. If you can manage to play with some people willing to teach you the ropes, you can pick it up in a couple of matches. And each match maxes out at 20 minutes, and they rarely last that long. So if things are going well with a private lobby or quick play matchmaking, I can get in four or five matches in an hour of play time. 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, much appreciated folks!

Think I'm gonna dive in and get the game even if its just multiplayer online, given that a few others are non-online gamers like me have enjoyed it ... but I'll wait a little longer to see what the word is on a physical copy. Limited space left on my PS4 so I could do without downloading another full size game just yet (Until Dawn free on PS Plus couple of months back stole most of my remaining space!!).

I'd read that the disc version was coming out 13/10/2017 ... has that changed now? Can't see it for pre-order on Amazon, but Game UK still have it for pre-order ...

No change, the physical release date is still set for 13th October. The ESRB rating board just passed them as well, which is a sign everything is still on plan.