Alkavian

The Playbook - Techniques and Strategies

88 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

When you are choosing a counselor, and how to perk them up, I would suggest to figure out what you want to accomplish and pick the counselor best suited for the job, then choose perks that enhance STRENGTHS in stats, not weaknesses. Putting marathon on a counselor with very low Stamina is probably a waste of a perk slot, but it is entirely up to the user.

The only thing I want offer an alternative opinion on. Improving weaknesses can be beneficial for instance if you place a high % Marathon perk on a repair counselor. This means they will be able to do their job more efficiently since they will have better mobility to get from objective to objective. 

5 ways to get free hits on jason (effective mask removal) 

1 - Pocket knife animation while he is stunned will get you 2 fast machete hits

2 - Firecracker animation while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits

3- Jason's kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits (may cause damage not really tested it)

4 - Jasons trap animation - again some quicks hits while stunned

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - standing stun should also get you some hits in

As long as you hear that 'sqeesh' noise when you hit him, he is taking damage and will only need 3-4 hits to get his mask off. I saw one guy throw firecrackers at jason, while jason was stunned he went in and done 3 fast machete hits and his mask come off while stunned. Awesome

1 hour ago, GarageNation said:

2 - Firecracker animation while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits

3- Jasons kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits 

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - may cause damage not tested it though.

As long as you hear that 'sqeesh' noise when you hit him, he is taking damage and will only need 3-4 hits to get his mask off. I saw one guy throw firecrackers at jason, while jason was stunned he went in and done 3 fast machete hits and his mask come off while stunned. Awesome

If you're going for a Jason kill it is always nice to know how to deal him damage while minimizing your risk of getting killed. 😊

7 hours ago, Alkavian said:

If you're going for a Jason kill it is always nice to know how to deal him damage while minimizing your risk of getting killed. 😊

Yup, I think bugzy, adam and tommy are the main fighters and they should be using their equipment (crackers/knife) to fight jason instead of using them to try and escape all the time ... leave the repair/escape to the nerd/chick characters.

So hitting Jason while he's stunned or even doing a grab kill still counts as damage towards removing his mask?

1 hour ago, DamonD7 said:

So hitting Jason while he's stunned or even doing a grab kill still counts as damage towards removing his mask?

Yup, I can guarantee fircrackers, bear trap, pocket knife and melee stun activation (sucker punch perk)  will put him in stun animation and he will take damage while he is unable to move, I'm not 100% with the grab kill animation but as long as you hear that 'squish' noise he should be taking damage, I need to test it more with bugzy. 

Firecrackers are the best their like a flashbang for jason .... don't use them to escape, use them to attack!, 2-3 hits with bugzy while jason is flashbanged with firecrackers will get his mask off in under 10 seconds.

I also use vanessa as she is the hardest hitting female (firecrackers/stun/hit/mask off .... then off to jasons shack)

WEEK 7

A HUNTING WE WILL GO… - Non-Metagame Trapping with Jason

In an earlier piece, I wrote about defying the existing metagame and using that to your advantage. I thought I might revisit that idea a bit in regards to the placement of Jasons’ traps. Traps are a valuable objective control resource for our resident goalie and we all probably know the routine by now. Trap the phone, trap the battery on the 4-seater, and trap the gas inlet on the 4-seater. This is the established metagame. For some Jason’s, traps are a highly limited resource (Part 4, Part 7, and Part 9), so you may want to be cautious about trying some of these things I’m about to say unless you are very confident in your abilities to stay on top of objectives.

Here are some suggestions for placing traps in non-metagame places. When you catch counselors with these, you’ll probably giggle a bit to yourself, and expect to hear accusations of noobery and denigration of your skills. Embrace the salty goodness and watch the tantrums fly.

83734693.gif

1. If you find the power generator that powers the Jarvis radio, and you know they haven’t called him yet, break the box and put a trap in front of the generator. You want Tommy? You’re going to have pay for it with resources and pain.

2. If a counselor drops a bunch of stuff when killed (especially in the woods), put a trap down near the items (not on them). Gently nudge the counselor’s body onto the trap. Many people will plow right over their dead buddy to get the goodies on the ground. If it is a decently trafficked area, your fishing may pay off.

3. When at a 2 storied house, put a trap under the upstairs window of bedrooms facing shortest escape avenues to a nearby structure. You can often chase people upstairs and have them jump out a window to escape you. They take damage from the fall, and sometimes, the trap will finish them off for you. Good way to stop those jumpers banking on using a med spray to heal up after landing. Also saves you the trouble of wasting a morph to go after them.

4. Packanack Lodge, in particular, has a nice little window on the first floor to consider trapping. The kitchen window is a common looping window used to evade Jason. If you get a spawn where the phone and the car are near the lodge, consider trapping that kitchen window too. You’ll often catch people unaware and make your life easier.

5. Place traps on the far side of the little wooden walkway bridges from an objective. If you morph to an objective, sometimes counselors will bolt down the path and run across those little bridges to get clear of your arrival. Having a nuisance trap in middle of the path on the far side of the bridge can be a fun way of slowing them down.

6. Place traps at the corners of main buildings that counselors will often loop through are travel to because vehicle parts are often there. The boat house on Crystal Lake (side with the white fence) comes to mind. Many people will barrel around that corner near the water and not even pay attention that a trap is sitting there waiting.

7. Trap the map stand. Many times people will run up to get the guaranteed map and not even pay attention to the ground around it.

anigif_enhanced-20110-1419291133-7.gif

As always, have fun and play how you want to play. If you have an extra trap and want to mess with people consider some of these as options (Part 2 Jason lovers take note). Many people don’t want to “waste” their traps, but I find the occasional nuisance trap to be pure gold. Nothing quite salts the fields like someone getting caught in a trap outside the established norms and you teleporting there to give them three fingers-two knuckles deep. Tell them to, “bite the pillow” for extra chance of rage quitting.:lol:

Good luck! If any of you have some choice places that traps can work outside the normal metagame locations, please share them!

EDIT: Also note I did not necessarily come up with these ideas first. Some occurred to me on my own, and some I've observed other crafty Jason's employ. I love out-of-the-box thinking, and many of these ideas fit that role nicely.

1 person likes this

OUT OF SHAPE, OUT OF LIFE… - Stamina management

In this game, the Stamina that you have is often a metaphor for your “health bar”. Jason is lethal in a way that rivals bringing your girlfriend home late to a father who adores his little girl, his gun collection, and hates the fact you exist on this planet to waste his air. When your Stamina depletes, it is often “GAME OVER”; insert more quarters to continue.

ReQmk_s-200x150.gif

The challenge of Stamina management is something that newer players overlook and it results in a lot of painfully frustrating; short games. Here are a few things you may want to consider if you're new:

1. Stamina pools vary in size dependent on a counselor’s Stamina statistic. As a rule of thumb, statistic scores of 1-4 are LOW, 5-6 are AVERAGE, and 7-10 are HIGH. Keep this in mind when choosing a counselor.

2. Standing still is the most effective way to let your Stamina recharge. Crouching does not increase your Stamina recharge rate (it simply allows any counselor to move without generating noise pings). There are Perks that will alter these generalizations (and many people run them).

3. You will burn little Stamina when “walking”. Jogging burns Stamina at a median rate and is probably the most common movement speed you should use. Running burns Stamina quickly. Be conservative about running unless you have to. Swimming and fast swimming burn Stamina very quickly. I would not suggest you use fast swim because you will be exhausted quickly; even with a high Stamina character.

4. Certain actions in game will give a small “bump” to your Stamina.

a. Climbing through a window

b. Stunning Jason with a melee attack

c. Escaping from a grab

5. Using actual hiding spots will drastically recharge your Stamina pool. When Jason is not around you can use them for a quick top off.

6. Sitting in the car or boat also recharges your Stamina quickly.

7. Use Perks to improve your Stamina. I would recommend those that increase the recharge rate over those that increase the total amount of Stamina if you are perking up a counselor with a LOW Stamina stat. Increasing the total pool on a counselor that recharges their Stamina slowly is a very short-term benefit compared to one that consistently has a faster recharge rate.

8. Keep your Fear level down. Stamina regeneration slows drastically when counselors are at a higher level of Fear (even those with a good Stamina stat). TURN ON YOUR FLASHLIGHT. Your Stamina will recover faster because the Fear accumulation is being counter-acted by the light source.

9. Always have plan to move to your next secure location. Consider where you’ll have time to stop and take a break to allow Stamina recovery. Keep an eye on how much you have. I’d recommend you have at least a half bar for counselors with average or high Stamina; ¾ of a bar for counselors with low Stamina if you have to evade Jason.

10. Consider the map you are playing. Stamina is more easily conserved on the small maps. The new Jarvis map is certainly a marathon map when considering distances. If you are playing a low Stamina character on it, you better be very cautious on where (and how fast) you choose to move. Don’t get caught out in the open with an empty gas tank.

rs_500x281-140729084658-ca290b14878f7fa7

Best of luck to you. If you’re new just be mindful of your Stamina state at all times. It is easy in the heat of the moment to lose track and find yourself down a certain creek without a paddle when Jason comes looking for you. This game can be very unforgiving of small mistakes…that is part of what makes it challenging and fun when you get the hang of the mechanics.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, GarageNation said:

3- Jason's kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits (may cause damage not really tested it)

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - standing stun should also get you some hits in

Not anymore. This was patched. 

22 minutes ago, SnakeSound222 said:

Not anymore. This was patched. 

Good to know as well.

10 hours ago, Alkavian said:

5. Using actual hiding spots will drastically recharge your Stamina pool. When Jason is not around you can use them for a quick top off.

Firstly excellent post as usual. Lot of good information here. This bit that I've quoted I can't recommend enough actually, and something I rarely see players do but is so helpful. All that's required is to pop in a closet or under a bed for a second for a huge stamina recharge. I do it all the time, come out good as new.

Also something seemingly obvious, but worth mentioning since I see players make this mistake all the time - never sprint from Jason when he is chasing you. He will not catch up to you unless your stamina is depleted or you are crippled, even running Jasons won't catch up. Simply keep jogging and just sprint when you know he is Shifting. This way you can better manage your stamina. Out in the open, your best bet for a stamina boost is to get a hit on him, which is another reason to become proficient in combat.

1 person likes this

On 10/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, GarageNation said:

I thought they fixed the bug where you could damage Jason during stun a long time ago? Also, I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch doesn't even work. I've heard it actually reduces stun chance, like Grease Monkey used to for car starting times.

9 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

1. I thought they fixed the bug where you could damage Jason during stun a long time ago? Also, 2. I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch doesn't even work. I've heard it actually reduces stun chance, like Grease Monkey used to for car starting times.

1. Last patch they did some fixes, if you consider 7 days ago a long time. :huh: The patch that originally brought the "push button to break window" animation brought the damage during stuns thing.;)

2. I don't know about Sucker Punch. I never use it myself. Perhaps someone who uses it can elaborate?