Alkavian

The Playbook - Techniques and Strategies

53 posts in this topic

It is another week (at least very soon) and I figured it was time I get off my backside playing the game and get some more advice out there; and hopefully draw out some good advice from other experienced players.

WEEK 2 – “You make a better wall than a door.”

Let us talk about Jason and positioning. It is very important for the Jason player to consider what he/she will do next, but also where and why. Jason is essentially a wall to counselors and you’ll find that body-blocking strategy is very effective for Jason. You need to understand how Jason will react to a stun. Should a counselor stun you, a couple of things may happen.

1. You’ll get a standing stun where Jason lowers his shoulder and turns his head to the side.

2. Jason will fall backwards (space permitting) and land on his back.

3. A break away animation or knife escape animation will result in Jason stepping back and recovering.

4. Against firecrackers, Jason will that a partial step backwards and cover his face.

The first technique that I use is a Grab/180° pivot. If you are grabbing a counselor and they happen to be working the phone fuse box, installing a repair item on a vehicle, or you’ve just extracted them from the driver’s side door of the car. The lift animation for a grab must complete before Jason can perform a kill, but it also must complete for a counselor’s pocket knife to trigger. By spinning a quick 180° you put your back to the objective and body block the counselor (or others lingering around). Additionally, IF they do break free with button taps or a knife, Jason will stumble back further in the way of the objective. Bear in mind if you grab them from the side you won’t have to pivot 180° (probably only step forward and pivot 90°). Just make sure Jason’s back is to the objective. Also, sometimes when you do this the counselor will act as a meat-shield.potentially absorbing hits that would otherwise stun Jason. If a mob is trying to force an objective this can buy Jason time to kill a counselor and set-up their next play.

The Grab/180° pivot also serves another purpose besides strictly body blocking. I use it when I “cabin pluck” a counselor from and exterior doorway. Usually this happens when they try to stun me by hiding just offset of a door I am breaking through. I will ensure I make the final hit against the door in combat stance and then perform an immediate loop back (I turn around take a step or two, then move towards the door again). Often what happens is the counselor will swing at Jason, but since he is briefly moving away, it will not connect. Jason’s grab is much faster than a counselor’s recovery and you can simply step forward and snatch them. After you grab them in the doorway, perform a Grab/180° pivot. You end up shoulders in the doorway with the counselor dangling outside the cabin.

Why would you give them an out so they can run away? It is pretty simple, if they break away, they’ll get a small stamina bump which is offset by the fact they missed with their swing. Most counselors will choose to sprint away to a “safer” location but consume precious stamina while they do it. As Jason you always want to push a pursuit in such a way that the prey is getting tired. Attacking prey out in the open benefits Jason immensely. If you stand in the doorway facing inwards, the counselor can break free INTO the cabin. There they can find more weapons, trolling couches/tables, rooms to evade, hiding places to recover stamina, and windows to climb through (which allows evasion and stamina recovery). Allowing a pesky counselor back into a structure works against the tire them out strategy. “Pluck” them out. If they have no knife you can easily dispatch them in front of the cabin.

On a side note. Don’t pluck them on internal rooms to a cabin. Only exterior doors. It is better to keep them close or force them to exit (most will climb out a window at that point). If you catch them in a closet or bathroom…..Bwa ha ha ha ha!

59b57703a332b_DoorManagement.jpg.eacce8878a9c8738eb8227a8ec453a7e.jpg

Figure 1:  Pluck at exterior doors.

Figure 2:  Block at interior doors.

59b57873d5867_Jasonindoor.jpg.aa58c61d139152c463290f16515f5397.jpg

Something like this. This should generally be your positioning after "plucking" a counselor out of an exterior door.

FINAL NOTE:  Keep a close-quarters grab kill ready. One-handed choke, Head knock-off, bear hug, or frontal eye gouge are good options. The idea is not to move far from the exterior door or objective. The kill has to be usable in a confined area. Block/Pluck - KILL.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:15 AM, Tekdrudge said:

Does anyone have any strategies for Jason to defend against being stunned after he breaks a door down? Seems like almost everytime I broke a door down as Jason tonight, I was greeted by a melee attack and a stun. Trying to figure out a way to avoid this.

There are a couple strategies here. First, smash windows to know you will at least injure the same the camper inside. Now prepare to smash the door down.

Prior to rage mode, as you start smashing, hit it it once or twice and turn for a second. Wait to see if they throw crackers, this way you have a chance of avoiding stun. Also take note of where they are positioned and what weapon they are holding through the cracked door. Use sense to make sure they aren't hopping out anywhere. Then turn Sense back off to save it. Return to smashing the door. 

Always walk backward first, wait to see if they swing and miss, if there is a trap waiting, or what they have planned.

For melee weapons:

If no trap, and you notice they have a melee weapon, walk forward and pivot 180° backward. This knees the camper into their swing and leaves them open for a grab, or weapon slash attack. If they have a melee weapon, you can switch to combat stance and use block to block their attack and slash them back, or even block their escape from the door until the counselor breaks their weapon on you. Another trick here, is use shift, stand position by door, waiting the counselor to run toward a window or the door, then grab them either outside the window or by the broken door. This stratergy is not really recommended for the possibility of wasting the shift, however I have had this work a few times.

For shooting weapons:

If you notice they are holding a flare gun or shot gun there are a couple things you can do. My personal favorite is wait behind a wall, make sure shift and morph are charged. I shift in and try to get behind or next to the counselor. You can sometimes get a great scare out of the player and hear a hilarious reaction if performed perfectly. Most of the time, they will recognize the shift, and attempt a run around furniture. You can circle back to the door to trap them, or try to grab at one side. If they choose to jump out of the window,  either work shift towards the door and towards the camper, or hop out of shift and morph outside. You can start to enter, in plain site, and shift. This lures them into shooting, but you hopping in shift so they miss, and a chance to close the gap or grab them. 

Another trick, is baiting the shot. Circle around the door and the wall next to the door, and hope they miss. Obviously, good shooters will ruin this strategy so it is not recommended. However, with the mechanics of the shooting in this game, players do often miss if you are good at the 180° pivot. I prefer the shift in strategy to close the gap on them and hopefully make them waste a shot.

If anyone else has anything to add or strategies they prefer, feel free to add it!

Something else I think we should add to this thread for the newcomers is strategies for avoiding spawn killing. For the older members, we have seen numerous threads on how to avoid them. I will start by listing my strategy, and people can add theirs as I main AJ so I can really only speak as to using her.

First, for all counselors, knowledge of the maps help. Search the forums for @Rydog's strategies, and use his map locations. As you play the maps more, you will get to know the differences. Get to know location markers. For instance, check you mini map for car or types of cabins to know your location. If you spawn in a cabin, run around the corners first to see if a broken phone fuse icon pops up. If so, guess what, you are the unlucky counselor! If you have high stealth, hide under a bed or in a cabinet. Hide in for a minute. Wait to see if thr VCR static pops. If so, listen for him setting traps. Mute your mic so no background noise notifies Jason a player is near. Listen for thr first ki ki ki, ma ma ma, as this signals he has gained the Sense ability. Wait in hiding since you won't show up. For AJ, do not use the breathe function, even if he walks in front of you. She won't make a peep in hiding as long as your fear levels were down before you went in. Wait out Jason until he morphs over to a car or other location. The only cabin this will not work, is if there is an electric box outside. The reason why, is if Jason smashes the power, the camper inside makes a noise by crying out, which alerts Jason someone is inside. Runners have to be a bit more careful as they ping even when walking inside; so even as he morphs, if you were walking around inside, he may know you are in their because of the ping. I don't main runners often, so my guess is run to the next cabin, hope for Jason to become distracted. Again, someone else will have to write a better strategy for these characters as I don't want to lead anyone astray with bad advice.

Personally, I always hide at first with whichever character I am. If I barricade doors, I immediately open a window as well so Jason thinks the camper left the cabin that is locked.  Always good to hide for a second if you hear his music just to avoid the Sense ability prior to Rage mode(again I am talking about avoiding spawn killing or dying in the first two minutes). 

Side note: Great job with this thread @Alkavian!  Some of the best strategy guides since @Kodiak's for new players. Maybe sometime some notes on properly using combat stance and how to melee with Jason or campers. How to predict when to use dodge, when to pivot and how to properly pivot as a camper, as well as how to properly pivot and avoid shots with Jason.

Tekdrudge and Alkavian like this

1 hour ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Something else I think we should add to this thread for the newcomers is strategies for avoiding spawn killing. For the older members, we have seen numerous threads on how to avoid them.

You've already got some good points there. I may put up a short bit on the topic. It is a common gripe so perhaps it needs a bit of attention.

1 minute ago, Alkavian said:

You've already got some good points there. I may put up a short bit on the topic. It is a common gripe so perhaps it needs a bit of attention.

Funny how we just discussed this and a new topic was posted about it.

Alkavian likes this

3 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

For AJ, do not use the breathe function, even if he walks in front of you. She won't make a peep in hiding as long as your fear levels were down before you went in.

This is really interesting. I wasn't aware any counselor would keep quiet even with very low fear. Makes me wonder which other counselors would react in the same way. Do you think this is tied to the composure stat?

I used to main A.J. but have since moved on to Deb. You mentioned A.J.s scream when power gets knocked out in her area, which I experienced all the time. I've noticed since playing Deb that she doesn't make a sound when the power gets knocked out. I'm really curious about what contributes to whether or not a counselor reacts to either situation (hiding, power being cut). 

Any further info/insight would be welcome.

source.gif

SPAWN-KILL:  Bullet Jason with your name on it

Been seeing a lot of threads on this. People really have some strong feelings regarding being killed in the first minute or two of a match because they unluckily spawned too close to a key objective for Jason. I’m not going to get into whether a Jason player should kill or ignore counselors at unfortunate spawns, but I will talk briefly about things you can do to protect yourself from an early demise.

1. Keep you mic off in the first two minutes of the game. Just shush. Don’t say anything and LISTEN for Jason’s music. There is nothing that cannot wait to be said for a brief amount of time.

2. Get into a building or go to a campsite. Hide. Tents and beds are best. Outhouses and closets tend to make a closing door sound which Jason can readily hear if he is close enough. Don’t go through windows when Jason is nearby. The distinctive “grunt” of escape is too noticeable. Remember pre-Rage, Jason simply cannot detect you in a hiding place except by sound. Sense will not give you away. You have to use a hiding place though. DON’T stand behind a door or in a bathroom and expect to go unnoticed. The building will light up like a Christmas tree assuming you don’t have a bunch of Sense avoidance perks equipped.

3.  Don’t RUN. Jog or walk. Reduce the amount of noise pings you are generating. And for God’s sake, stay the hell out of the water! It is the quickest way to attract a Jason with a hateboner looking for an easy kill.

4. IF you go into a cabin at match start, always enter from a side window. DO NOT LOCK DOORS or open windows on the obvious frontage of a building. IGNORE THE DRAWERS and do a brisk sweep of the cabin to see if the Phone Box icon is visible. If it is there, grab a quick melee weapon and hide. Then wait silently. If Jason doesn’t show in the first minute and a half. Go ahead and loot. If he does show up be patient and he’ll probably leave in short order. Don’t mind the sound of doors and windows breaking because a lot of Jason’s do some prep work on the phone house to make it easier to flush out counselors later. The reason to leave drawers closed and doors unlocked is to make a busy Jason NOT take notice that someone has been there. You want him to prep and leave. Not stay to inspect the surroundings.

5. Don’t use the hold breath function! Just sit and wait. Odds are that your counselor’s fear will be low enough not to cry out if Jason enters the building and moves by you this early in the match. If Jason knocks out the power, the fear will go up quite a bit. Low composure characters may give away your position (Composure below 4). If you are playing one of these characters and the power gets knocked out, I would suggest fleeing. Jason will not have Shift yet and getting away on foot will be pretty easy.

Doing these things can greatly reduce the chance Jason will even notice you at the start of a match. I’m not saying he won’t ever find you, but I’ll bet your survival rate on bad spawns goes up significantly. To borrow from a great book.

dont-panic.jpg?itok=Eskz_M2z

2 hours ago, A.J. Mason said:

This is really interesting. I wasn't aware any counselor would keep quiet even with very low fear. Makes me wonder which other counselors would react in the same way. Do you think this is tied to the composure stat?

I used to main A.J. but have since moved on to Deb. You mentioned A.J.s scream when power gets knocked out in her area, which I experienced all the time. I've noticed since playing Deb that she doesn't make a sound when the power gets knocked out. I'm really curious about what contributes to whether or not a counselor reacts to either situation (hiding, power being cut). 

Any further info/insight would be welcome.

I think composure has a lot to do with it. I wonder if stealth comes into play as well. Maybe this is why it works for AN as she is high in both. I wonder if Deb or Lachappa can do it? Have to test it out sometime. I also wonder if Chadface happens in the cabinet. 

A.J. Mason likes this

2 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I think composure has a lot to do with it. I wonder if stealth comes into play as well. Maybe this is why it works for AN as she is high in both. I wonder if Deb or Lachappa can do it? Have to test it out sometime. I also wonder if Chadface happens in the cabinet. 

Eric will cry out if the power goes out. Even at the start of a match.

He won't generally make a peep in a hiding place unless he has taken on a good amount of fear from a close-call with Jason (escaped a grab), the power is out, he's out of breath (0 Stamina), or it's late match having encountered Jason and seen too many bodies. It is pretty easy to ignore a spawn kill with Eric and I suspect it would work just as well with Deb since she has higher composure.

A.J. Mason likes this

5 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Eric will cry out if the power goes out. Even at the start of a match.

He won't generally make a peep in a hiding place unless he has taken on a good amount of fear from a close-call with Jason (escaped a grab), the power is out, he's out of breath (0 Stamina), or it's late match having encountered Jason and seen too many bodies. It is pretty easy to ignore a spawn kill with Eric and I suspect it would work just as well with Deb since she has higher composure.

Thanks for the info! I am sure all counselors cry out whenever the power box gets smashed.  Even in a hiding spot. Even as AJ, if I hide in the house with the electric box and Ja son smashed it, she cries out and I have to leave the hiding spot.

I also find that speed changing is a good way to avoid his shift. If you notice, when a Jason is shifting towards you, the screen zooms up on your character. Start by jogging and start sprinting in any direction a couple seconds after the screen zooms in. If timed correctly, Jason will exit shift mode to time up the grab with your jog, resulting in him ending up far behind you.

Alkavian likes this

WHAAA…ut?!! DEFINING AND DEFYING THE METAGAME.

How many times have you been minding your own business at the start of the game thinking, “awesome, there are no objectives nearby”, and then all of a sudden Jason appears and kills you? If you’ve been playing awhile this has probably happened. About that same time accusations of noobery begin to fly and the salt fills the lake up like the Dead Sea.

rBHXHJ8.jpg

Many times when this happens, it is in fact a new Jason who hasn’t fallen into the current metagame thinking. Sometimes, however, we get an unusual breed who throws a wrench in everyone’s works by playing against the metagame. I really like these people because they can freshen the routine and keep you on your toes.

For those who don’t understand what the “meta” or “metagame” is, I’ll briefly explain. The metagame is the strategy employed to maximize efficiency within a given set of play parameters. It is understanding the rules of a particular “game” and figuring out which set of variables will ensure the best chance of “winning”. It is “gaming the game”. All of this ties back to Game Theory. Now personally, while I understand the “metagame” concept and principle, it can take away some of the fun of playing within a game for sake of enjoyment. Unfortunately, you cannot ignore it, because min/maxers, exploiters, griefers, and the extremely competitive individuals will lean heavily on the metagame.

So what does defying the metagame do besides get you called a noob? Well that’s the thing, it can get you more kills as Jason; or throw off a metagaming player in general. If you can make someone throw away that safety net of gameplay and make them question the validity of the metagame they are following – they will make mistakes that get them killed.

As examples:

1) Instead of trapping the phone first, make a play for a powerbox near the phone. Cut the power and if Tommy’s radio cabin is there, Jarvis isn’t coming until it is fixed. Then get the phone box. Two birds with one stone. Trap that particular power box (the one that powers Tommy's radio) for extra chaffing and a bit more protection from being killed by Tommy later.

2) If you kill a counselor and you see some good inventory items drop, place a trap (near but not on the items) then “kick” the counselors body onto the trap. People can’t seem to resist kicking a body of a fallen comrade and often they won’t see the trap as they bulldoze their buddy for the items. *clink*. Gotcha.

These are not the only things you CAN do, but I figured I’d throw out a couple of possibilities. The thing to take away from this:

a. Doing something unusual doesn’t make you a noob if you are in fact doing it for a specific counter-play/counter-meta reason.

b. Salt makes everything taste better. Even victory. Don’t be afraid to try new strategies (especially on non-organized randoms). If it works…test it on your friends or more organized groups.

c. IF it’s STUPID, but works, IT’S NOT STUPID.

tenor.gif

Decayed_Beauty and Nomadder like this

On 9/9/2017 at 1:02 PM, Archgamer said:

It use to be easier when Jason was able to block flares and firecrackers at the door with combat stance. Now if Jason is in his door swing animation he gets hit everytime with firecrackers drop by the door.

Firecrackers are a finite resource. A good Jason isn't going to be detoured very long. 

On 9/10/2017 at 11:00 PM, Alkavian said:

source.gif

SPAWN-KILL:  Bullet Jason with your name on it

Been seeing a lot of threads on this. People really have some strong feelings regarding being killed in the first minute or two of a match because they unluckily spawned too close to a key objective for Jason. I’m not going to get into whether a Jason player should kill or ignore counselors at unfortunate spawns, but I will talk briefly about things you can do to protect yourself from an early demise.

1. Keep you mic off in the first two minutes of the game. Just shush. Don’t say anything and LISTEN for Jason’s music. There is nothing that cannot wait to be said for a brief amount of time.

2. Get into a building or go to a campsite. Hide. Tents and beds are best. Outhouses and closets tend to make a closing door sound which Jason can readily hear if he is close enough. Don’t go through windows when Jason is nearby. The distinctive “grunt” of escape is too noticeable. Remember pre-Rage, Jason simply cannot detect you in a hiding place except by sound. Sense will not give you away. You have to use a hiding place though. DON’T stand behind a door or in a bathroom and expect to go unnoticed. The building will light up like a Christmas tree assuming you don’t have a bunch of Sense avoidance perks equipped.

3.  Don’t RUN. Jog or walk. Reduce the amount of noise pings you are generating. And for God’s sake, stay the hell out of the water! It is the quickest way to attract a Jason with a hateboner looking for an easy kill.

4. IF you go into a cabin at match start, always enter from a side window. DO NOT LOCK DOORS or open windows on the obvious frontage of a building. IGNORE THE DRAWERS and do a brisk sweep of the cabin to see if the Phone Box icon is visible. If it is there, grab a quick melee weapon and hide. Then wait silently. If Jason doesn’t show in the first minute and a half. Go ahead and loot. If he does show up be patient and he’ll probably leave in short order. Don’t mind the sound of doors and windows breaking because a lot of Jason’s do some prep work on the phone house to make it easier to flush out counselors later. The reason to leave drawers closed and doors unlocked is to make a busy Jason NOT take notice that someone has been there. You want him to prep and leave. Not stay to inspect the surroundings.

5. Don’t use the hold breath function! Just sit and wait. Odds are that your counselor’s fear will be low enough not to cry out if Jason enters the building and moves by you this early in the match. If Jason knocks out the power, the fear will go up quite a bit. Low composure characters may give away your position (Composure below 4). If you are playing one of these characters and the power gets knocked out, I would suggest fleeing. Jason will not have Shift yet and getting away on foot will be pretty easy.

Doing these things can greatly reduce the chance Jason will even notice you at the start of a match. I’m not saying he won’t ever find you, but I’ll bet your survival rate on bad spawns goes up significantly. To borrow from a great book.

dont-panic.jpg?itok=Eskz_M2z

Nice job!

Screenshot_20170912-013148.png

Alkavian likes this

On 2017-09-08 at 7:19 PM, Alkavian said:

5. Put down the keys! Put the keys next to the car. Leave them alone until the car is repaired. Too many people are concerned with getting left behind and want to hoard the keys. Remember what I said in point #2 about working more than one escape plan. Leave options on the table and work all escape options that you can. There are only ever 6 slots for escape in vehicles. This means that 1-2 people will not have an out unless the cops are called. With the average Jason player, probably half the lobby will die or more by the end of the match. Odds are good you’ll have an escape slot available in a vehicle even if you leave the keys – provided of course that you work more than one escape plan and prioritize parts delivery early in the match.

If I play with friend I do that. With randoms not. They will with 75% risk leave you (bacause they wave no mice and cannot communicate and beacuse they are assholes).

On 9/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, Fooobar said:

If I play with friend I do that. With randoms not. They will with 75% risk leave you (bacause they wave no mice and cannot communicate and beacuse they are assholes).

Well, sadly we cannot make them use good strategies or play like decent human beings. I can only suggest better options. Randoms in public lobbies are often the biggest offenders because everyone certainly gets a stronger "I'm out for myself" attitude in them.:(

REVENGE OF THE NERD – A case for LaChappa

Everyone has their counselor preferences. I remember a time when a bunch of people thought that Chad was going to be horrible because he only really had Luck and Speed going for him. Times do change – especially the metagame.

There is one counselor though that continually gets a lot of hate and that is Eric LaChappa. People see the nerd and think, “Deb does the same thing and has better stats.” Thus, poor ol’ Eric gets relegated to the turd bin. I saw a recent poll on the forums and it seems that it still holds true for a lot of people. See here:

I will start out by saying, I love LaChappa. I main him as my primary counselor…and it isn’t for the sake of being contrary or simply wanting to put counselor gameplay into “hard mode”. It is because he legitimately is VERY GOOD. If you figure out his dynamic, Eric can be more survivable than Deb. LaChappa is a fixer. With Repair 10 only Tommy and Deb can keep up. There is anecdotal testimony from a couple people that I’ve heard stating his QTE is slightly sped up (making him faster) at repairs. I’ve never noticed this myself. Someone would have to time it for a hard answer. I do know for a fact not all equal scores are equal in performance. Tommy’s 10 in stealth is superior to AJ’s as an example. Tommy won’t ping while running. AJ still will. It certainly is a possibility.

LaChappa is plenty stealthy. He is no AJ for sure, but 8/10 is extremely quiet. This helps serve his role as a fixer. He needs to be able to sneak around and make repairs while not pinging out to let Jason know where he is moving. 59b820af9eea2_chapanddeb.jpg.7bb8b7697ecb7e64a6ad9a73a0cbf836.jpg

What about Deborah Kim? She’s better!

First of all I will point out that most of their stats are only 1 point off. 1 point makes little difference for most stats. The impact is just not significant enough to drastically impact performance. 2 points is noticeable in practical application. You’ll feel a 2 point difference when playing a character for most things except perhaps “Luck”.

Where does Deb shine? +1 Composure, +1 Speed, +1 Stamina, +1 Stealth

Where does Eric shine? +2 Luck, +2 Strength

There you go, Deb is clearly superior! Except she isn’t. Speed is the most overrated stat in the game. Any counselor is faster than Jason sprinting. Any Jason is faster than any counselor in Shift. The only thing that matters is, “how good are you at juking and stamina management to make it to safety?” OK, Deb does have better Stamina. It is still extremely low (Below a 4). In practical application, she won’t get much farther than LaChappa so the +1 is moot. If it bothered someone that much they could add a Perk to Eric and get better performance, though I don’t recommend boosting weaknesses with counselors. Boost survivability and stat strengths.

Let us continue our comparison. Deb gains +1 Stealth. OK, that is fine. She and Eric already both make very little ping noise. As long as they stick to jogging and not sprinting, they’ll be pretty quiet. The fact is, Stealth doesn’t do anything else to help Deb or Eric.

Composure is where she will shine! Deb will accumulate less Fear and at a slower rate. She has slightly better odds of breaking away from Jason. She is less likely to cry out when scared. No arguments there…she is better than Eric in this regard. So she is harder to detect/track than Eric.

So how is Eric good? Remember what I said about noticeable differences? Eric has greater strength if he needs to fight back. It helps because as soon as Jason sees a fixer, most players will go after them with a vengeance. Eric can fight back more effectively than Deb before being caught. Most people don’t waste fighting perks on fixers, so you’re typically left with the raw stats for protection – Eric is better. Also Eric has Luck at 5/10. Luck is a highly underrated stat (Just ask Chad in the early days when people thought he sucked). Eric has a better chance of not taking damage from traps, climbing through broken windows, and getting more use out of his weapon. Eric is a tank (physically and figuratively) compared to Deb. He is harder to hurt (environmentally) and more dangerous fighting back.

Deb and Eric have different approaches to survivability. As fixers they have similar goals, but they do cater to two different play styles in achieving those goals. It is not a simple case of twins and one is better than the other. Neither is “better”. They are two different approaches to doing the same thing.

It comes down to survival play style. When I play LaChappa I go for making him a damage tank and coordinate with my team to make plays via mic. I run him primarily alone or paired-up temporarily to great effect. Putting him in a larger group just invites Jason’s to single him out of the herd. Eric is subjectively better at “forcing” a play. Tank traps, fix fast, and evade. With the right perks and tactics, Eric is a cockroach. Deb fares better with more help doing this or getting in that sneaky repair (like AJ).

FIXER TIPS:

1. Fix fast. Fix everything.

2. Be quiet and stick close to buildings. Use them to evade and hide. Fixers pretty much suck out in the open. Don’t make Jason’s life easy by thinking you are Vanessa or Bugzy.

3. Make plays when Jason is distracted.

4. You will often be tunneled by Jason; expect it and don’t whine. See point #2.

5. Situational awareness is key. I’d recommend you start with either a map or a walkie. Maps in random lobbies with few mics / Walkie with your buds and talking groups. Regardless if you use a mic, pick up the walkie so you can hear those who are talking.

In conclusion:

Deb is better because she can carry the sweater. :lol:;)

They are both very good in the right hands. Good luck!

I main LaChappa as well.  I use marathon, restful, and thick skin.  It works out surprisingly well for the most part.  He can't allude Jason forever, but I set out primarily to get my teammates out.  If I survive that is a bonus, but if I helped get teammates out....that is my real pleasure.  One thing I will say with Lachopsticks, if you have to get to the other end of the map to escape via cops you need to have a buddy with you and both need weapons.  Lachappa is difficult at times to conserve stamina with.  That is where restful helps.  But yeah, he is fun to play with.  Especially when you have to potato through a window.  I get a real kick out of seeing him plow through a pane of glass.  

Alkavian likes this

18 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

I main LaChappa as well.  I use marathon, restful, and thick skin.  It works out surprisingly well for the most part.  He can't allude Jason forever, but I set out primarily to get my teammates out.  If I survive that is a bonus, but if I helped get teammates out....that is my real pleasure.  One thing I will say with Lachopsticks, if you have to get to the other end of the map to escape via cops you need to have a buddy with you and both need weapons.  Lachappa is difficult at times to conserve stamina with.  That is where restful helps.  But yeah, he is fun to play with.  Especially when you have to potato through a window.  I get a real kick out of seeing him plow through a pane of glass.  

I like doing my own theme music to further agitate Jason. It is amusing when Big J is raging because he can't catch the "sucky" nerd.:o:lol:

"LaChappa, F@#k Yeah! Coming to save the muthaf@$%kin day yeah! Jason your terror is through, cause' now you have to answer to....LaChappa! F@#k Yeah!":PB)

CalculatingBriefBobolink-max-1mb.gif "I see Alk is using the singing ploy again.."

Some bad singing can buy everyone else at least another two minutes while you pet Jason backwards. The indignity of a cocky, out of shape, nerd razzing him is often just too much salt to tolerate without the satisfaction of a kill.

Maddogg_8121 likes this

@Alkavian's post has encouraged me to give LaChappa another chance. I've played with him once (while trying to get the "Super Fan" achievement), and remember it being quite difficult, but I was also rather nooby at the time. :rolleyes:

Alkavian likes this

47 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

@Alkavian's post has encouraged me to give LaChappa another chance. I've played with him once (while trying to get the "Super Fan" achievement), and remember it being quite difficult, but I was also rather nooby at the time. :rolleyes:

Please do. Eric is a bit misunderstood.👍

1 hour ago, Tiffany said:

He really is quite useful and is difficult to use at the same time.  It is so damn rewarding though if you make it out.  Not gonna lie, I die a vast majority of the time but the groups I play with are so damn good.  It is hard to survive against some of them.  In quick play, I have definitely given some a run for their money, fixed cars and boats, called cops and have gotten out.  He actually has a pretty good stun ratio as well if you can get past the almost non existent hit box.  

On Eric I run Thick Skinned, Psychic, and My Dad's a Cop. You can drop MDaC and swap for Medic as well for good effect. Preparedness in lieu of Psychic I've also found to be fine.  

LOST AND FOUND

Hello again Campers,

I am still amazed at some things that are not common knowledge this far into launch. Again and again I hear people lament that someone escaped with the keys or got drowned in the lake with the car battery (I know right? Who does that anyways…let me go swimming with this boat anchor while I’m at it<_<). The lake runs over with salt and disappointment. Dread tales of noobery and angst fill the forums and social media ::::cue ominous music::::.

For those not in the know, may I direct your attention to the beautiful sand beaches of Crystal Lake. Fun for reclining, relaxing, summer enjoyment, and finding the occasional interesting item which might save you from the local psychopath.

1. Inventory items from the characters who escape wash up in random locations along these sandy beach stretches.

2. Items carried by counselors who are drowned in the lake also wash up.

3. Carried weapons don't wash up to the best of my knowledge.

What!? You mean I can find the 2nd set of keys that douchy Chad took with him when he left us alone in the 4-seater on the beach? Yes, you can. What about the two pocket knives he had too? Yep. Them too. The areas you need to look in are different from map to map, but as general rule, look in these locations:

a. Places with lifeguard towers.

3bf52f078404491992c90dd3707dd01f.png

b. Places with sand beaches (not big rocks and whatnot).

c. Places with the adirondack chairs near water.

61hxA5bN8BL._SL1492_.jpg

d. Near docks where the boat spawns if the beaches are sandy.

Hope this tidbit helps those who did not know about it previously. :)

knowing-is-half-the-battle-the-other-hal

IT’S RACE DAY! START YOUR ENGINES!

@TheHansonGoons brought up the issue of looping by counselors as a topic to discuss. Sounds good.

There is nothing like a long leisurely jog through the forest at night, in the dark, alone, contemplating what sort of promiscuous activity you plan in taking part in next! It is practically a sport here at Camp Crystal Lake. Speaking of sports, the most popular yet is the coveted crown of the Crystal Lake 500. A few brave racers, every match, choose to run loops around furnishings, cars, rocks, tables and just about anything else that IS effectively nailed down, and aspire drive the local sports manager (Mr. Voorhees) to acts of extreme violence. I wonder how he will react.

raw.gif

A basic dynamic of this game is escaping Jason. Some counselors will choose to employ the famous (notorious?) tactic of looping to escape death. This can be very annoying from the perspective of Jason. I’m not going to comment here on my opinion of employing this tactic, but I will say it is effective. Jason has to rely on essentially one of two basic principles in catching a counselor 1) Wear down their Stamina, or 2) Ambush them. Some prey is easier to catch than others. Counselors “loop” Jason around immovable objects in the environment in an effort to buy time and frustrate the Jason player. This can also refer to players looping endlessly through cabin windows to avoid Jason.

home-running-in-circles-o.gif

Food for Thought:

1. Looping immovable objects will almost always play out for Jason in the end. He has endless Stamina and counselors do not. It will, however, waste a ton of time unless you get good at breaking the loop using Jason. Should it have to go on for a while, Jason will always triumph (assuming of course it is not at the very late minutes of a match).

2.  Looping windows can be more problematic. Every time a counselor climbs through a window they gain a small Stamina bump. Jumping back and forth from inside to outside a cabin is not only going to turn Jason into an enraged honey badger, it is also helping the counselor recover Stamina at a quicker rate. If you are Jason…this is BAD.

Counter-play:

1. Don’t lose your cool as Jason. Anticipate, adapt, and overcome.

2. Furniture/car looping can be countered. Jason can snatch a counselor with a grab when in close proximity to counselors at the turning corners of the looped object, but you have to close the distance. Jason will pull them over the intervening object. This is where Shift can come in handy.

3. Shift can be used in a couple ways. 1) Shift chase the counselor around the object, or 2) Shift immobilize Jason against an object and let the counselor run to you (then ambush grab them). A counselor cannot see Jason while shifting, but they can observe him on the mini-map. This brings me to Stalk.

4. Employ Stalk if it is unlocked and THEN use Shift. You want all cues the counselors have to be mute. No map watching. No visual positioning. No sound cue.

5. What about window looping? Break the windows! Counselors will take some damage (typically) going through a broken window. While they will still get that slight Stamina bump, they are trading it for a bit of damage. Eventually, they will run out health. Also bear in mind that breaking windows bumps up Fear. The higher the counselor’s Fear, the slower their Stamina regeneration. Knocking out the power also helps.

6. Use throwing knives. You don’t want to stand around holding a knife, because it is pretty easy for counselors to avoid them, but it can be helpful to give chase with Shift and toss a quick knife to their backside if you realize the Shift will come up short for a grab. Use Jason’s right shoulder as an aiming sight. Put the counselor’s head/neck in view just above Jason’s right shoulder and let fly with a knife at close range. You’ll hit without really needing to aim quite often and they won’t have time to dodge. Once again, YOU MUST BE CLOSE (just beyond grab range to about 15ft in front of Jason. Practice quick tosses to get your timing and aim point down.

7. Pick another target. Sometimes the best strategy for time management is to take out the counselors who aren’t playing racetrack games. Kill who you can in the time you have. If you know you will have to deal with a looper (especially a Vanessa, Tiffany, or Chad) it may be wise to save them until you have the time to devote to killing them off.

8. Ambush them. Use Stalk and Morph. Lurk nearby. Let them choose to stop looping and put themselves into a more compromising position.

There are many things you can do, but the biggest piece of advice I can give is to have several strategies and find out which one will let you out-think your opponent. Loopers are concerned with survival/delaying and tend to be more concerned about where they can move next to frustrate Jason. Jason players need not be concerned with where the counselor will go next, but rather where they can make the counselor think they’ll be next. Herd them, trick them, kill them.

On 9/15/2017 at 3:19 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

...Use shift, this will make them run around quicker one way or another. Once or twice around the table and you should notice their pattern, meaning are they looking to hop out the window, stay around the table, or running through the smashed door. Use stalk, so they don't notice your arrow indicators as to what direction when you shift.

The main thing to do here, is trick them and work outside of a pattern, find a way to close the gap between you two. Even if it's hit the shift ability, stand still, or stand in front of the exit, and wait for them to try to run in that direction instead of trying to chase.

You can wear their stamina down just by making them jog around the table, though it will take a while, especially if they have the marathon perk. However you being patient can sometimes give you more control. After all, with low stamina they are forced to either swing, or try to flee. At that point you can morph outside the window, stalk shift grab.

Best way to catch window hoppers is breaking all door, walls, windows. Enter, and exit, stalk, sense, shift. They will mess up as their stamina  gets low.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:18 AM, Kodiak said:

... toggle stalk on, then shift inside a minute later. Gives them no indication you're coming :)

On 9/15/2017 at 8:42 AM, Archgamer said:

Most people that run around tables and cars are usually Vanessas and Tiffanys because of their high stamina. If they do this early or mid game to you don't fall for their game. Their only goal is to buy time for others to escape. Check your objectives, kill other counselors and you can come back to kill them later.

If it's late game and they are like the last person, you can just continue to play merry go round with them. They'll run out of stamina eventually and have to think of something else.

Window hoppers are more tricky especially if its the back window. Enter the cabin and see if they climb out. If they did shift outside and grab them by the window. If they don't climb or budge then throw a knife at them. They'll most likely climb out and you can grab them outside with a shift grab.

8a8d21f5d0288aee5008a8630f086eda_400x400

SAGE ADVICE

Sorry for the repost. I thought I did something to screw it up. Maybe Kodiak merged it.:D If so feel free. My bad, I was doing some editing on my posts to clean up mistakes. Thought I had inadvertently did something to delete things.

WEEK 3:

COUNSELOR ESCAPE STRATEGY

I know what you are thinking. It is pretty simple. Work objectives and get the hell away from the pissed off goalie! That is true enough, but priorities and success go hand-in-hand. For those new to the game, not all objectives are created equally. Their importance is as much tied to WHAT they are, but also, where they spawn.

But wait! In an earlier post you said take stuff where it needs to go! Yes! Do that. Be smart and work ALL the objectives that you possibly can. Don’t sacrifice options. Just be aware that certain objectives may be more or less effective for getting you off that map for a win alive. UNDERSTAND what objectives may be easier or harder and the inherent RISK you are accepting by putting your chips down for that gamble.

Risk Assessment: (How likely are you to encounter Jason and get killed attempting the objective?)

1. Phone Box:

a. Two step process (fuse and call). Call can be enhanced so the police come faster.

b. High payoff. All counselors can use the police to escape.

c. Risk is MODERATE-HIGH. This is the most valuable objective to protect for a Jason player. He will watch it very closely. Trap spamming is common near the phone fuse box. Good fixers working as a team can lower the risk.

2. The Boat:

a. Two step process (propeller and gas). Jason can hear repair screw-ups but not hear the boat start.

b. Low payoff. Only two counselors can use the boat to escape.

c. Risk is MODERATE. While the boat is easy to fix and Jason cannot hear it start, Jason can instant-kill you in the water if he turns the boat over. Jason is less likely to camp the boat since trapping the boat is not particularly effective except for the west spawn on the Crystal Lake Map. Jason doesn’t really need to camp the boat because if the Jason player is map-aware, he/she will see it moving on the map. If Jason misses the boat, he only lost a maximum of two victims.

3. The Four Seat Car (Blue Car):

a. Three step process (Keys, Gas, and Battery). Jason can hear repair screw-ups and start-up.

b. High payoff. Up to four counselors can escape in the blue car.

c. Risk is MODERATE-HIGH. The blue car will be watched intently by Jason because it offers the next greatest bang-for-your-buck escape option to counselors. Jason will likely trap and observe this vehicle closely. Chances of encountering Jason near the vehicle are very high. A driver with excellent driving skills and map knowledge can lower the overall risk of being killed attempting this escape (hence a risk of moderate up to high).

4. The Two Seat Car (Yellow Car):

a. Three step process (Keys, Gas, and Battery). Jason can hear repair screw-ups and start-up.

b. Low payoff. Only two counselors can use the boat to escape.

c. Risk is LOW-MODERATE. Jason’s generally regard the yellow car as being of least concern. It only will allow two people to escape, requires three parts, and Jason  can hear it start and repair mistakes. A good driver can lower the overall risk after start-up.

Compounding Factors to Risk: (location of the objectives and how they will be affected)

1. Proximity of a vehicle to the phone box or another vehicle. Close proximity increases risk for both objectives. Risk Enhanced (R+).

2. Longer route of travel. Boats close to the side of the map with the exit buoys are Risk Mitigated (R-). Boats farther from the exit buoys are R+. The same holds true for cars. Cars with longer travel distance are R+ as are cars on very curvy routes or in areas with extreme choke points (like the bridge from Blair’s Cove on Higgin’s Haven Large). Cars on the shortest route are R-.

3. Relative payoff. Low payoff objectives are R-. High payoff objectives are R+. NOTE: Payoff refers to Jason's point of view within the established metagame. High payoff objectives give Jason a better chance of stopping and killing MORE counselors.The higher the payoff for Jason, the more dangerous the objective will be for counselors to be around it.

So how do we use this in a practical way to analyze an escape strategy for a given map with the objectives being randomized? Let’s look at some examples using the Higgin’s Haven Large map (Image courtesy of Game Rant):

friday-the-13th-higgins-haven-map.jpg.op

EXAMPLE #1:

A yellow car at Stillwater Camp. The blue car and phone box in Blair’s Cove.

Yellow Car – LOW-MODERATE risk (low payoff combined with longer route cancel each other out)

Blue Car – MODERATE-HIGH risk/R+++ (long route with choke point + close to phone box + high payoff)

Phone Box – MODERATE-HIGH risk/R++ (A vehicle is close by and the phone is high payoff)

In this instance, the most risk-mitigated strategy is to go for the Yellow Car. The phone and the Blue car become secondary and tertiary objectives respectively.

EXAMPLE #2:

The blue car is next to Higgin’s Main House, the phone is in Evergreen Camp, and the boat is in Blair’s Cove.

Blue Car – MODERATE-HIGH risk (high payoff combined with shortest route cancel each other out)

Boat – MODERATE risk (low payoff combined with slightly longer route cancel each other out)

Phone Box – MODERATE-HIGH risk/R+ (high payoff objective)

In this instance, the most risk-mitigated strategy is to go for the boat. The Blue Car is a solid secondary objective and the Phone Box becomes the most risky proposition.

***Remember that objectives spawn randomly and you don't always know what you are going to get (or where). The changing dynamic of the map means that from match to match your relative risk, and priorities, may need to shift to enhance your exit strategy. For those new to the game and trying to figure how to approach each new situation, I hope this may help you out. Please understand, this is by no means me telling you how to play. This is a means of assessing the potential risk you may incur when deciding to work on a specific objective. Own whatever amount of risk you think you can handle. Play smart. Good luck campers!

Choose.jpg

A.J. Mason likes this

About Eric... I chose him on my latest match (for the first time ever!) and ended up being the "final boy". Oh, and fixed a lot of stuff, for the love of the XP. That was good!

Just now, kitcat said:

About Eric... I chose him on my latest match (for the first time ever!) and ended up being the "final boy". Oh, and fixed a lot of stuff, for the love of the XP. That was good!

Awesome! I'm very disappointed when I don't break 900XP a match with Eric. He can be so good if you play to his strengths. Keep up the good work!:D

kitcat likes this

3 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Awesome! I'm very disappointed when I don't break 900XP a match with Eric. He can be so good if you play to his strengths. Keep up the good work!:D

Thank you for all your great tips, btw. Now I feel truly prepared to play this game! haha

Alkavian likes this