Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tekdrudge

Shift-Grab: Technique or Luck?

26 posts in this topic

So shift grabbing can be a hot topic on here sometimes. I myself am a constant victim to it. Instead of getting salty about it, I thought I would embrace it. Problem is I can't figure out how it is done. Is there a technique for it, or is it just a luck thing? I have never been able to pull it off and was wondering if someone knew a way to do it. Thoughts?

For me, it took practice and even then, I'm not great.  I try to shift just ahead of them to cut them off and grab them quick.  I've seen others that will shift right behind them to grab.

Aware counselors can sometimes juke you when you shift though.  I don't think there's one good way to do it though.

15 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

So shift grabbing can be a hot topic on here sometimes. I myself am a constant victim to it. Instead of getting salty about it, I thought I would embrace it. Problem is I can't figure out how it is done. Is there a technique for it, or is it just a luck thing? I have never been able to pull it off and was wondering if someone knew a way to do it. Thoughts?

It's definitely a technique/skill and should be respected. The salt is from the ignorant.

The fact that many don't know how to pull it off is a testament to the fact that it's a skill - It takes practice.

There isn't much luck to involved, although you can get lucky in the sense that you didn't do it perfectly and it still worked...But to do it, you just press the grab button to end the shift. If you do it just right, you'll grab them in doing so. The best method is to cut off their run with it. Get ahead of them. If you're coming up behind them, make sure you're REALLY close, otherwise you might not grab them (Somehow the oft-mentioned 10 foot grab doesn't save you here).

Another way to help it is knowing when you're spotted, because counselors can see Jason shift on the map. Knowing can help them juke the grab. If you can use Stalk from a distance on an unsuspecting counselor, it's almost too easy.

I also wanna stress how much more difficult it is for me on consoles with a controller compared to PC with a mouse. On PC, I "land" 9/10 of my shift grab attempts. If I do it, I don't usually miss. On consoles, however, it's harder to control and I get caught on just about everything possible, meaning I'm rarely near the counselor to even attempt a shift grab. So the first thing is definitely learning how to "fly" the shift perfectly, then you have to time the grab just right.

You'll get there. Just keep trying.

8 people like this

It's definitely a technique. When I try to explain it to someone, I compare it to what they have experience in so we have a common frame of reference. 

Example: if you are a CoD/FPS player, I would compare it to "leading your shots." Basically end the shift where you think the counselor is going to be when you come out rather than where they are.

Things you have to take into consideration is if the counselor is standing still, jogging, or running. Standing still obviously end the shift right on them, preferably in the direction they are facing. Jogging, a little ahead of them and running further out ahead of them than jogging. Like someone else mentioned just practice and put some time into it and you will get it down. Maybe take a friend that wants to learn as well and you both start a private match. Then you guys/gals can take turns playing Jason while the other tries to juke you. Do this till you get it down. Good luck friend!

1 person likes this

My shift grab technique is borderline flawless. I land a 9/10 almost always. The only times i mess my shift grab if if they manage to jump through a window right before i come out of the shift. But once i have you in my sights an theres no building close enough by, you'd better have a pocket knife.

This took a little practice to learn, i played privates with 2 friends an literally just practiced it. If i caught them id let them go, if i missed id morph away an come back when it was off cool down. But they never knew when it was coming, we played for real, but just didnt kill each other until literally everything do-able was done.

Keep practicing. Im on Xbox, but im sure if your PC youll have a way easier time then us console pleebs.

I think I have found my flaw in attempting it. I have always hit the grab button when I was behind them. Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.

BR19_8.gif

3 people like this

It is definitely skill.  I am not good at it, but there are some I play with that are pros.   I have become fairly decent at avoiding being grabbed but there are still some players that get me no matter what.  

Skill. Period. Hate it when people claim it needs a nerf or some other BS. No it's a skil that requires practice, it can also be countered with practice. 

2 people like this

It's very much a technique: leading the target as much as their pace requires; facing the appropriate way upon exit, because while grab has massive reach, it's limited to what's in the narrow slice of view in front of you; and, critically, what's your ping like.

Another thing to take into account is different Jasons have different Shift speed/length. So you also need to learn each individual Jason's range.

1 hour ago, AldermachXI said:

It's definitely a technique/skill and should be respected. The salt is from the ignorant.

The fact that many don't know how to pull it off is a testament to the fact that it's a skill - It takes practice.

There isn't much luck to involved, although you can get lucky in the sense that you didn't do it perfectly and it still worked...But to do it, you just press the grab button to end the shift. If you do it just right, you'll grab them in doing so. The best method is to cut off their run with it. Get ahead of them. If you're coming up behind them, make sure you're REALLY close, otherwise you might not grab them (Somehow the oft-mentioned 10 foot grab doesn't save you here).

Another way to help it is knowing when you're spotted, because counselors can see Jason shift on the map. Knowing can help them juke the grab. If you can use Stalk from a distance on an unsuspecting counselor, it's almost too easy.

I also wanna stress how much more difficult it is for me on consoles with a controller compared to PC with a mouse. On PC, I "land" 9/10 of my shift grab attempts. If I do it, I don't usually miss. On consoles, however, it's harder to control and I get caught on just about everything possible, meaning I'm rarely near the counselor to even attempt a shift grab. So the first thing is definitely learning how to "fly" the shift perfectly, then you have to time the grab just right.

You'll get there. Just keep trying.

Well said. Also, "The salt is from the ignorant" is my new mantra. B)

9 minutes ago, John Wick said:

Skill. Period. Hate it when people claim it needs a nerf or some other BS. No it's a skil that requires practice, it can also be countered with practice. 

Couldn't agree more. I had to actually go into private with a friend and just practice, practice, practice. It needs NO NERFS what so ever. It takes a certain finesse to master, as I'm sure you know. Also, I wanted to discuss with you my new found frustrations as being a Jason player, lol. I have grown and worked on becoming an efficient Jason but a match I had last night slightly changed my views on him being "OP". My views are changing. :wacko:

But yes, as the posters before me have stated, it def takes skill and precision. I play on PS4 and I actually cancel my shift with L2 (grab) and then hit L2 again. It just feels more smooth to me. I think most ps4 players hit R1 square to cancel...either way works. Just find the rhythm that works best for you.

Finally, if the counselor is just running in a straight line, just shift in front of them. However, it is pretty easy to throw off a shift as a counselor. All it takes is a good zig zag to throw the Jason off so you just have to anticipate/react to what the counselor is doing. I like to shift grab while I have them lit up with sense.  

2 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

I can't add much more to what has already been said here. I do believe shift-grab is a technique is a tricky one that takes quite a bit of skill. In my experience, it is much easier with a keyboard and mouse than it is with a controller. You'll get there man. Just practice, practice, practice!

Sensei Aldermach is quite good at it. He deserves a nod for his skill and a swift kick to the junk for the times he has caught me with it. I should note juking a shift-grab is also a skill one should master to have a fighting chance when caught in the open by a shift ninja. Perhaps I will get around to doing a tactics thread where we can share ideas beyond basic game play.

Yeah it's a technique and if you can think of the counsellors next move it makes life so much easier. It's little things also like when you enter shift and the counselor is moving, don't just go straight to them and exit shift and grab. What works for me is I do a huge circle around them and grab at an angle. Much more effective. You'll get the hang of it.

I am the only who think shift grab is kinda garbage. I mean, of course every dude have their trick for every Jason, but I think shift is thinked for get more closer to counselors so they cant abuse of their speed like Vanessa or Buggzy or stop the car. Of course it requires a little of skills but is just basically do shift and stand it front of the counselour and smash grab button. There's way more better and fun ways to kill counselour so every kill would be satisfying and not like ok where is the other guy. Part 9 is definitely a nightmare on this, it's all the time broke the door, do shift, smash grab button, do it again, not fun at all. Instead you can broke the power, try to scare people who play as counselour so when they do a mistake like go outside when you are close to that window, or get enough damage until they can't run. Seriusly, sometimes is ridiculous, one match I was a counselour and Jason have a mic but he wasn't talking so when he start chasing me and do shift I can hear how almost broke the grab button.

1 hour ago, Alkavian said:

Perhaps I will get around to doing a tactics thread where we can share ideas beyond basic game play.

I like this idea. Tactics and counter-tactics.

4 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Turning on Sense before shifting helps. Lights up your target like the Predator's bio-mask.

2 hours ago, John Wick said:

I wish I could give you all my likes for the day. I couldn't agree more. 

2 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

I like this idea. Tactics and counter-tactics.

I'll probably throw together an initial thread and my first topic of discussion tomorrow. Getting home from work now and it's time to find that happy place I left on my pillow. I'll probably steal some of the posts from this thread made regarding Shift Grab so the original posters don't have to re-type what they said before. Nite peeps I'm off for now.

I'm pretty lousy at it, and I only play on console. Need more practise.

As a councelor, if you can't reach a cabin, then running right into a bunch of smaller trees and weaving between them can be useful. Harder for the Jason player with all that collision flashing in their face when they're trying to grab you.

Shift grabbing is definitely a technique rather than something reliant on luck :) The best way to use it is strategically rather than just chasing counsellors down. I find that if I miss a shift grab, the counsellor will be prepared for a follow-up shift and are usually more difficult to grab. Proper use of stalk is greatly beneficial when it comes to catching them.

Yes, it's definitely technique!!  I mean sometimes you can get lucky with the direction the counselor goes in if you're shifting around an object like a table or an outside corner of a cabin, but other than that it's all skill.

Actually since the latest patch, it's even more difficult for me to pull off most times.  I used to easily shift-grab nearly every counselor prior to the patch, but the devs definitely changed Jason's mechanics when it comes to that.  I used to be able to press the grab button to take Jason out of shift and he would perform the grab function at the same time.  Now, I have to press the grab button to stop the shift and then press the grab button again to perform the grab.  The two challenges are: 

1.  There is a delay between when I can press the grab button to have Jason perform the grab after he comes out of the shift

2.  I press the grab button and Jason grabs right through the counselor sometimes. 

So, I have to shift ahead of the counselor and get a read on the direction they're headed to time the perfect grab.

It's about timing and positioning during the shift and movements of the target.

11 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Sensei Aldermach is quite good at it. He deserves a nod for his skill and a swift kick to the junk for the times he has caught me with it. I should note juking a shift-grab is also a skill one should master to have a fighting chance when caught in the open by a shift ninja. Perhaps I will get around to doing a tactics thread where we can share ideas beyond basic game play.

Why not share here? I have a very advanced tip for Jason players.

Now, to perform this, you need Stalk active, so it's not gonna be a right away thing.

As the number of counselors thins out, either by you killing them or them getting away, you'll get down to the more experienced people. As you know, breaking down a door leaves you most likely taking a weapon to the face or stepping in a bear trap, and then they jump out a window. When you are late in the game, you should have an idea of what the goal of the players is and where they will go when leaving a building. So if someone enters a building, bust the windows, don't touch the door (or only hit it so that it's cracked). If they stay inside and are waiting, then you can bet they have a trap or are waiting to hit you with a weapon. So do this:

Stand still for a moment, then activate Shift to get out of their line of sight, then trigger Stalk mid-shift, and instantly cancel the shift. You want to be standing so that you are within a short walk of the window you're most sure of them jumping out of. Stand perfectly still and your stalk will take around 3 minutes to wear off, an eternity in-game. Keep your ears open and eyes for their pocket light, and as soon as you hear them grunt as they climb the window, run/speed walk to them and grab them. Yes you risk a knife, but the number of shrill screams I've heard of snatching people in this way more than makes up for it.

Just chiming in with the majority that it definitely requires some skill - as does getting good at seeing it coming and juking it.  Most people just zoom up behind someone who's running away and attempt to grab them, and with the brief delay when you drop out of Shift, they generally step out of range of your grab.  It's one of the weird instances where the grab distance (usually) isn't absurd, for whatever reason.  So learning to anticipate their jukes, how fast your shift travels, kicking it on so that you can get out and aim just ahead of them and time the grab right, all takes skill and practice.

People are just super salty.  I was in a match last night where we were watching the last player in the game make a run for the cops (most of us having already escaped by this point). Jason was camping the police exit.  Bugzy was trotting down the road.  When they got about 100 feet apart, Jason crouched and vanished, clearly, obviously shifting at Bugzy to intercept him and stop him from making it out (and trying to buy himself a little distance in case Bugzy had a knife on him).

What did Bugzy do?  Broke into a dead sprint - straight ahead.  No jukes.  No doubling back.  No nothing, saw Jason vanish, apparently thought he had morphed away or something goofy, and just sprinted straight at the exit, STRAIGHT into a shift grab.  And guess what?  He was salty as hell.  Immediately started hollering about how that was bullshit, no way Jason could grab him, that was garbage.

The rest of us were like "dude, what are you talking about?  He clearly went into shift, and you charged STRAIGHT AT HIM.  That would have been the easiest grab of all time, dude.  Next time, juke."  But he was convinced that, I don't know, because he was running, or something, Jason shouldn't have been able to grab him like that.  A lot of people just don't remotely understand how Shift works, and believe it's super cheap any time they get snagged, no matter how easy they made it for you.

I've had people rage at me when I turned on Sense, saw them hiding behind a rock or something 20 feet away, used Stalk, shift grabbed a stationary target and they were just FURIOUS about it, because no way should I have been able to see them, and HOW did I grab them? 

1 person likes this