Kalopsia

Each Jason should be given a special ability to improve the Jason movie fantasy.

28 posts in this topic

So I was thinking that something to give each Jason a unique play style would be to give them each a unique ability. Some are active and some are passive but here's what I think would be great and fitting for the Jason. 

Part 2 - Hide
Part 2 Jason can hide inside closets, giving the same effect as stalk by muting the music until Jason reveals himself by bursting out of the closet. Leaving the closet destroys it in the process. 

Part 3 - Obsession
Jason becomes more obsessed with a counselor the longer he pursues them. His run speed increases and after a long period of time he gains constant sense vision of them until Jason himself breaks the chase or another counselor stuns him.  

Part 6 - Unholy Strength
Jason is capable of destroying a door/wall once every minute like he has rage activated. He can also throw his knives further. 

Part 7 - Undetectable 
Jason's terror range is significantly smaller by default and his stalk ability muffles his footsteps. 

Part 8 - Hallucinations 
Counselors with high fear will experience tape tearing, fake jason's appearing on the map and his theme music dropping in and out while at high fear. 

Part 9 - From below
Jason can teleport underneath the ground and jump out outside or in Cabins. This can bypass doors and be used to surprise counselors. 

Savini - Brimstone 
The fiery fumes from Jason cause Cabins to fill with smoke, clouding the vision of counselors causing them to cough and decrease stamina regen. 

I've been wondering what giving each Jason a unique ability would be like. What do you guys think? 

I like these ideas. Jumping through windows could also be unique ability. Your part 3 ability seems to be effective way to hunt final counselor at the end of the match. Since Savini Jason has glowing insides, maybe his body temperature is so high that he could make throwing knives red hot by holding them before throwing them. Knives would do more damage.

These gave me an idea:
Uber Jason - Total Destruction/Terminator
Makes Jason capable to destroy cabins even more, maybe even cars, boat and knock down trees. This is essentially like a boosted Rage.

I'm sold on the part 2 ability for sure. This game lacks jump scares and a lot of the fear/intense moments are gone, with this it would bring it all back and make people think twice about running around free in a cabin and or hiding in a closet. Maybe make it able to bust out on your own and if a player tries to hide while Jason is in it, then it automatically triggers Jason to bust out and cause the players fear to spike for 5-8 seconds.

i like the idea of all jasons but one thing i know someone will mention

part 3's abillity is based off micheal myers in dead by daylight

1 hour ago, Mr. HK 92 said:

I like these ideas. Jumping through windows could also be unique ability. Your part 3 ability seems to be effective way to hunt final counselor at the end of the match. Since Savini Jason has glowing insides, maybe his body temperature is so high that he could make throwing knives red hot by holding them before throwing them. Knives would do more damage.

These gave me an idea:
Makes Jason capable to destroy cabins even more, maybe even cars, boat and knock down trees. This is essentially like a boosted Rage.

honestly if they make uber jason they shouldnt make him something you can pick it should be a special way only on the space map

2 hours ago, FlameRiderSD said:

i like the idea of all jasons but one thing i know someone will mention

part 3's abillity is based off micheal myers in dead by daylight

Part 8 is also based off the doctor in DBD, but it's mostly because in the movie Rennie was constantly seeing hallucinations of Jason. The whole obsession thing for Part 3 comes from the behavior of Jason towards Chris Higgins, especially during her flashback. Jason was very obsessive towards her in that movie.

39 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Part 8 is also based off the doctor in DBD, but it's mostly because in the movie Rennie was constantly seeing hallucinations of Jason. The whole obsession thing for Part 3 comes from the behavior of Jason towards Chris Higgins, especially during her flashback. Jason was very obsessive towards her in that movie.

Just the thought of part 8 scares the shit out of me

BradleyMaverick likes this

Very neat ideas.

It would help differentiate each Jason a bit further and add new gameplay to each one. Especially with the balance tilt seemingly edging towards counselor, with perks (that work) and gameplay changes to Jason. Something like this could add new life to the gameplay.

What would be Part 4's special ability be?

Storm?

Every match that has a Part 4 Jason is accompanied by a severe rain storm/thunderstorm, completely changing the entire dynamic of the match. Jason can barely be seen or heard and his music is muffled by the storm. So each and every match would come with that alternate weather IF Part 4 Jason were in play. Which also includes new intros and outros for Part 4.

I like the basic idea of this. I think yeah, there is a way to make the Jasons feel more like they did in their movies.

My criticism would revolve around game balance. Many of the suggestions appear to bypass survival tactics and mechanics that help counselors know when they are about to die.

These abilities would have to be balanced around those mechanics. Being able to bypass the doors completely at any time makes Jason far deadlier than he is now.

I think the part 2 and 3 suggestions are probably just fine the way they are, though I would say 3 should work like a hunter's mark. Jason marks a single target and gets the bomuses, but that mark can only be placed 1 at a time and there should be a cool down of a couple of minutes.

Part 6 is probably ok as well, though I am wary of adding a bypass to a late game mechanic. Still though, probably not too game breaking of a buff either way.

7,8,9. These seem to be a bit over the top to me in terms of making Jason detection too difficult and not providing a limited use, like part 2 does.

Savini. While not game breaking from a tactical sense per se, this sounds like it might break the game technically. Graphics, sound, animation and stat effect all tied together.

Again, I like the idea in general. It adds a lot to the atmosphere. How can it be balanced with mechanics so it doesn't tip things too far in one direction.

Trollskau likes this

5 hours ago, Mr. HK 92 said:

These gave me an idea:

Jason climbing through windows was an idea I had. The purpose would be Jason could enter cabins without Counselors being aware or a way to keep counselors on their toes by having to worry not only about doors but windows too. The window however wouldn't be the best entry for an aggressive approach since it's much slower and leaves Jason vulnerable to attacks. Jason getting hit while climbing through a window will knock him off and stun him briefly. It would be more useful for stalk and sneaking into Cabins. Would make open windows a lot more terrifying. 

9 minutes ago, Definitelynotjason said:

I like the basic idea of this. I think yeah, there is a way to make the Jasons feel more like they did in their movies.

My criticism would revolve around game balance. Many of the suggestions appear to bypass survival tactics and mechanics that help counselors know when they are about to die.

These abilities would have to be balanced around those mechanics. Being able to bypass the doors completely at any time makes Jason far deadlier than he is now.

I think the part 2 and 3 suggestions are probably just fine the way they are, though I would say 3 should work like a hunter's mark. Jason marks a single target and gets the bomuses, but that mark can only be placed 1 at a time and there should be a cool down of a couple of minutes.

Part 6 is probably ok as well, though I am wary of adding a bypass to a late game mechanic. Still though, probably not too game breaking of a buff either way.

7,8,9. These seem to be a bit over the top to me in terms of making Jason detection too difficult and not providing a limited use, like part 2 does.

Savini. While not game breaking from a tactical sense per se, this sounds like it might break the game technically. Graphics, sound, animation and stat effect all tied together.

Again, I like the idea in general. It adds a lot to the atmosphere. How can it be balanced with mechanics so it doesn't tip things too far in one direction.

Right, Part 3 can only have one obsessive target and any kind of break from that counselor completely resets the stacks of obsession he has. 
There's probably a more interesting way to make part 6 more interesting but that's all I could come up with, with the current game mechanics. 

Of course all this isn't concrete or anything, I thought that giving the walking undead Jason's more utility when it comes to ambushing or surprising counselors would make them more palatable since they aren't as open to offensive tactics due to their slow speed. They're more like workarounds so they don't rely on shift grabbing. Part 7 especially doesn't have the stats for offensive play with his slow shift speed and morph regen. He's the Jason who I feel would benefit the most from stealth along with Part 2. 

I mean to be honest I had an entirely different idea on giving each Jason more interesting strengths and weaknesses that play more into their movie fantasy, like giving Part 2 an intimidation mechanic that causes Jason to be intimidated by dangerous weapons like the axe fear to be reduced in counselors and him less effective being offensive and upfront with his killing and force Jason to take a more stealthy approach playing into the whole hide mechanic. The reasoning behind this is Part 2 is the most mortal Jason of the bunch and as well as being very clumsy, he was also scared shitless when Ginny came after him with the chainsaw. 

Stuff like that, one of these days I'll compile it all and illustrate some images to help understand how this stuff would work. I'm just throwing it all out bit by bit right now. 

Definitelynotjason likes this

9 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Right, Part 3 can only have one obsessive target and any kind of break from that counselor completely resets the stacks of obsession he has. 
There's probably a more interesting way to make part 6 more interesting but that's all I could come up with, with the current game mechanics. 

Of course all this isn't concrete or anything, I thought that giving the walking undead Jason's more utility when it comes to ambushing or surprising counselors would make them more palatable since they aren't as open to offensive tactics due to their slow speed. They're more like workarounds so they don't rely on shift grabbing. Part 7 especially doesn't have the stats for offensive play with his slow shift speed and morph regen. He's the Jason who I feel would benefit the most from stealth along with Part 2. 

I mean to be honest I had an entirely different idea on giving each Jason more interesting strengths and weaknesses that play more into their movie fantasy, like giving Part 2 an intimidation mechanic that causes Jason to be intimidated by dangerous weapons like the axe fear to be reduced in counselors and him less effective being offensive and upfront with his killing and force Jason to take a more stealthy approach playing into the whole hide mechanic. The reasoning behind this is Part 2 is the most mortal Jason of the bunch and as well as being very clumsy, he was also scared shitless when Ginny came after him with the chainsaw. 

Stuff like that, one of these days I'll compile it all and illustrate some images to help understand how this stuff would work. I'm just throwing it all out bit by bit right now. 

I like the way you are thinking.

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Jason climbing through windows was an idea I had. The purpose would be Jason could enter cabins without Counselors being aware or a way to keep counselors on their toes by having to worry not only about doors but windows too. The window however wouldn't be the best entry for an aggressive approach since it's much slower and leaves Jason vulnerable to attacks. Jason getting hit while climbing through a window will knock him off and stun him briefly. It would be more useful for stalk and sneaking into Cabins. Would make open windows a lot more terrifying. 

I've always liked the idea of Jason being able to climb through windows. There's no reason he physically shouldn't be able to. It got me thinking further about a potential change in the game actually, to add it in with some degree of balance -

If Jason can climb through windows, then the majority of windows should be closed, and all of them should only be able to be opened from inside. For small cabins, all windows would be closed. It would be up to the player to be aware that there may be a random window (or 2) in the larger cabins that is open, that Jason could potentially access. This would have a number of effects:

1. Discourage other players trying to loot your cabin with you in it. You would now either have to let them in or they would have to burst through the window and damage themselves in the process. This way they would only do it if necessary. Since players always leave by window, you would be able to enter any that players have left as normal (but be aware Jason may be waiting).

2. Based off your idea, while Jason could enter after simply breaking a window, by doing so he would be open to an easy stun from the player if they know he is climbing through. So the Jason player would have to consider the risk. It would not be an aggressive tactic as you say, but best used with Stalk.

3. Further prevent window looping. If a player tried to do this, particularly with no weapon, they would have to escape immediately since Jason could now follow them directly in without having to go around to the door.  

4. Offer more opportunity for great jump scares. It can take some careful planning to hide in a cabin and wait for players, good estimation of Stalk duration to be able to enter unnoticed and wait it out before it depletes. This would also place more focus on securing large cabins which many players disregard. An extra element of tension.

Sorry for the long post, just some ideas! It would add more challenge to the game but I think it'd be worthwhile. The more horrifying the better.

I'm game for every idea except Part 8. I feel like every single Jason player would use that one and it would get insanely annoying after a while 

1 hour ago, deathbat96777 said:

I'm game for every idea except Part 8. I feel like every single Jason player would use that one and it would get insanely annoying after a while 

Do you think so? It's not really that useful like hiding. It's just something that keeps people on their toes and masks the real Jason's presence. 

guys now that i think about it i remember a old image with counselor abillites where each counselor would have there own abillity

if jason gets these then counselers need em too

2 hours ago, FlameRiderSD said:

guys now that i think about it i remember a old image with counselor abillites where each counselor would have there own abillity

if jason gets these then counselers need em too

Why? Counselors already have enough tools at their disposal to survive. Some tweaks to things like attacking and escaping Jason's grasp wouldn't hurt though. They don't really need powers, their stats give them variety already. 

well actually theyre not that diffrent its like the stats of jason so it wouldnt be unfair if they got abillites right :)

You guys know how on Call of Duty, you get kill perks? What if Jason got a kill perk after he got so many kills where he could temporarily use a different weapon. Example: Part 7 Jason just killed 6/8 counselors. A perk selector pops up at the bottom: "Do you want to use weedeater?", to which you would obviously click yes and then go ham on the last two counselors. I know that sounds hilarious, but I'm actually being half way serious. 

I love this idea! Imagine searching the drawers in one of those single-door cabins and suddenly Jason comes barging out of the closet with a pick axe.

NzD087SWnqtTs_JaSFZj86HH_MSEHMUcGgd8sF55h48.png?w=438&s=6187fadbdc248dfdc49ad4ab4b704f89

I always thought to myself that if they added Pamela or Roy, how cool it would be if they were able to open/climb through windows and hide in the various hiding spots on each map like the regular counselors can, as they're both more nimble.

Hal Bailman likes this

I'll share my thoughts.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, Kalopsia said:

Part 2 - Hide
Part 2 Jason can hide inside closets, giving the same effect as stalk by muting the music until Jason reveals himself by bursting out of the closet. Leaving the closet destroys it in the process.

They would have to make Part 2 skinnier like in the film rather than the bodybuilder they made him in the game for it to be believable. But I agree that this should be his ability.

Part 3 - Obsession
Jason becomes more obsessed with a counselor the longer he pursues them. His run speed increases and after a long period of time he gains constant sense vision of them until Jason himself breaks the chase or another counselor stuns him.  

Too Myers-y. It also kind of breaks the whole point of trying to hide and juke. How about:

Return Fire: Pocket knives used on Part 3 are added to his knife inventory and can be thrown back at counselors.

Part 6 - Unholy Strength
Jason is capable of destroying a door/wall once every minute like he has rage activated. He can also throw his knives further. 

I feel like that would break the core aspect of fortifying cabins. I suggest:

Crowd Control: Part 6 gets a damage boost of 5% for every counselor when more than 2 are within close proximity to him. Potentially 25% damage boost if all 7 counselors are in the same area. This counts for throwing knives too.

Part 7 - Undetectable 
Jason's terror range is significantly smaller by default and his stalk ability muffles his footsteps.

Muffled footsteps I agree should be a feature, and in my version of the idea "normal" stalk would muffle up to fast-walk but not running. I have a topic on it ;). The music range reduction could work, though I don't think Part 7 needs a stalk buff or anything. I'd rather give Part 7 a fear buff but that's a different topic.

Part 8 - Hallucinations 
Counselors with high fear will experience tape tearing, fake jason's appearing on the map and his theme music dropping in and out while at high fear. 

Part 8 is already pretty popular in public matches because of his destruction. This kind of ability would be pretty annoying in that you can't fortify yourself AND you can't see sh*t against that guy. I could see putting fake Jason icons on the minimap, like multiple at once so you can't know for sure where he is. Extra tape warping may be a bit too much. Maybe instead it would be fake audio stings, summonable on-command to make people think he's near. Like Part 8 would open the map and select where he wants the fake music or fake Jasons to drop.

Part 9 - From below
Jason can teleport underneath the ground and jump out outside or in Cabins. This can bypass doors and be used to surprise counselors.

As with part 6 if Jason can circumvent barricades then that's just really annoying to play against. How about:

Stamina Hack: Part 9's melee attacks take away a portion of stamina as well as health.

Savini - Brimstone 
The fiery fumes from Jason cause Cabins to fill with smoke, clouding the vision of counselors causing them to cough and decrease stamina regen. 

I've been wondering what giving each Jason a unique ability would be like. What do you guys think? 

I think what would really cloud their vision is the massive drop in FPS. Savini is all fire and burning right? So touching him might hurt. In that case:

Share Damage: Counselors take among 15-30% of their melee weapon's damage rating back onto themselves when they stun Savini with melee weapons.

NoOneK9503 and Hal Bailman like this

On 9/4/2017 at 11:28 PM, Kalopsia said:

So I was thinking that something to give each Jason a unique play style would be to give them each a unique ability. Some are active and some are passive but here's what I think would be great and fitting for the Jason. 

Part 2 - Hide

Part 3 - Obsession

Part 6 - Unholy Strength

Part 7 - Undetectable 

Part 8 - Hallucinations 

Part 9 - From below

Savini - Brimstone 

I freaking love this

On 9/12/2017 at 10:32 PM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I'll share my thoughts.

They would have to make Part 2 skinnier like in the film rather than the bodybuilder they made him in the game for it to be believable. But I agree that this should be his ability.

Too Myers-y. It also kind of breaks the whole point of trying to hide and juke. How about:

Return Fire: Pocket knives used on Part 3 are added to his knife inventory and can be thrown back at counselors.

I feel like that would break the core aspect of fortifying cabins. I suggest:

Crowd Control: Part 6 gets a damage boost of 5% for every counselor when more than 2 are within close proximity to him. Potentially 25% damage boost if all 7 counselors are in the same area. This counts for throwing knives too.

Muffled footsteps I agree should be a feature, and in my version of the idea "normal" stalk would muffle up to fast-walk but not running. I have a topic on it ;). The music range reduction could work, though I don't think Part 7 needs a stalk buff or anything. I'd rather give Part 7 a fear buff but that's a different topic.

Part 8 is already pretty popular in public matches because of his destruction. This kind of ability would be pretty annoying in that you can't fortify yourself AND you can't see sh*t against that guy. I could see putting fake Jason icons on the minimap, like multiple at once so you can't know for sure where he is. Extra tape warping may be a bit too much. Maybe instead it would be fake audio stings, summonable on-command to make people think he's near. Like Part 8 would open the map and select where he wants the fake music or fake Jasons to drop.

As with part 6 if Jason can circumvent barricades then that's just really annoying to play against. How about:

Stamina Hack: Part 9's melee attacks take away a portion of stamina as well as health.

I think what would really cloud their vision is the massive drop in FPS. Savini is all fire and burning right? So touching him might hurt. In that case:

Share Damage: Counselors take among 15-30% of their melee weapon's damage rating back onto themselves when they stun Savini with melee weapons.

The idea behind the Unholy Strength for Part 6 is that he was much more combative, as he took on an entire police force and multiple shotgun blasts. I also thought that the scene where he caused an RV to wipe out after killing the driver. I didn't mention it in the post, but he could possibly increase the restart time of a destroyed car. 

I was going by movie fantasy so a lot of these are probably unconventional for the game, like the Part 3 ability. I figured since he's the one with the stalk weakness and the Jason people are more offensive with that he would benefit more from something like what I suggested. It's based on Part 3 Jason being really goofy (I call it obsessive) towards the final girl in both the flashback sequence and during the climax of the movie where he just straight up chased her instead of trying to catch her by surprise like Part 2 or any of the other Jason's. He was not subtle at all towards her. The return fire thing is actually a good idea though. 

The share damage thing seems incredibly unbalanced though. Considering it's already hard to determine damage or how much health a counselor has left something like shared damage would be a pain in the ass. Especially since he's one of the strongest Jason's and is already hard to combat. Making combat a detriment to counselors would just make him even more of a "P2W character." 

NoOneK9503 likes this

First, I prefer the Brimstone idea. The Share Damage one would make Savini Jason unbalanced.

Second and last, I didn't like the @BetsyPalmer Idea of a Jason 4's ability. What about:

Homebody: Jason gains a +Grip Strength Stat everytime he is inside a cabin or even his shack.

11 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

First, I prefer the Brimstone idea. The Share Damage one would make Savini Jason unbalanced.

Second and last, I didn't like the @BetsyPalmer Idea of a Jason 4's ability. What about:

Homebody: Jason gains a +Grip Strength Stat everytime he is inside a cabin or even his shack.

What about what? I never mentioned an idea...?