GunMedia_Ben

Update from Gun on Current Patch

89 posts in this topic

Hey all,

We're all here at the office going over everything we're reading from your comments here and on other forums within our community. IllFonic has been working with our Discord users in live bug reports, I've been gathering notes and taking down comments from all of you guys here as well as our Steam Forums and all of us at Gun have been in meetings today over everything going on. 

I want to preface this by not making excuses for the issues that you are running into. The biggest issues we know of remain with matchmaking. That's being looked into at this time, but we are certain there have been some backend server issues via our Sony/PSN partners as well as Steam. These have been momentary hiccups that are outside of our control, however we are looking at matchmaking on our end to ensure that when things do smooth out that we're not seeing continued issues.   

We are taking your feedback on gameplay such as the window animation change for Jason. We are looking into the issues with 'WOOD' and a few other misplaced items (the door on Packanack...oh boy) and of course overall feedback on maps. 

Please stay tuned. We know the frustration inherent with things that shouldn't be there, but keep in mind that our focus is improvement overall for our players. While some users might be seeing bugs, we've been able to move towards parity for all of our builds; this allows us to work more effectively for all three platforms for future content, future updates and future fixes. We've been working hard on the retail version of the build that has to be separately submitted and a lot of things are moving at a pace that has not let us ease up since launch. We've got a few new people on the team and while this patch has a lot of improvements, it certainly has revealed some issues that we're already identifying, tasking and working to fix quickly. 

EDIT; Going to have some folks from IllFonic come in here in a bit and talk a bit more in-depth, so please stay tuned!

We hear you. 

-Gun

Thanks for the update.

It is nice to know that you guys are reading the posts and being receptive to the observations.

Quinn FTW likes this

What about the fact that Jason can now get stuck in a stunned loop and take damage while being stunned now??? 

Thank you for letting us hear you, Ben. Thanks for listening to us.

Great to see a quick response on this. But it's also equally alarming...

I've said time and time again that the community needs to show more patience and give the team the benefit of the doubt. But this update might be pushing me to my breaking point.

A lot of the issues that needed addressed simply weren't, aside from team killing...But when a patch INTRODUCES this many new bugs, red flags start to pop up...The new and unnecessary Window breaking animation, hits on doors not registering, pocket knives not working...this stuff is completely unacceptable. Especially when there wasn't any reason to mess with these things.

I've been playing through the tough times waiting for you guys to do something that'll bring people back...Seems you've gone backwards here. I hope a quick fix can be executed here otherwise it's likely over for this game.

10 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Hey all,

We're all here at the office going over everything we're reading from your comments here and on other forums within our community. IllFonic has been working with our Discord users in live bug reports, I've been gathering notes and taking down comments from all of you guys here as well as our Steam Forums and all of us at Gun have been in meetings today over everything going on. 

I want to preface this by not making excuses for the issues that you are running into. The biggest issues we know of remain with matchmaking. That's being looked into at this time, but we are certain there have been some backend server issues via our Sony/PSN partners as well as Steam. These have been momentary hiccups that are outside of our control, however we are looking at matchmaking on our end to ensure that when things do smooth out that we're not seeing continued issues.   

We are taking your feedback on gameplay such as the window animation change for Jason. We are looking into the issues with 'WOOD' and a few other misplaced items (the door on Packanack...oh boy) and of course overall feedback on maps. 

Please stay tuned. We know the frustration inherent with things that shouldn't be there, but keep in mind that our focus is improvement overall for our players. While some users might be seeing bugs, we've been able to move towards parity for all of our builds; this allows us to work more effectively for all three platforms for future content, future updates and future fixes. We've been working hard on the retail version of the build that has to be separately submitted and a lot of things are moving at a pace that has not let us ease up since launch. We've got a few new people on the team and while this patch has a lot of improvements, it certainly has revealed some issues that we're already identifying, tasking and working to fix quickly. 

We hear you. 

-Gun

Thank you for the response and update. I just have a few questions

Is their currently any plans on setting up weekly playtests with the Devs and QA to ensure bugs like these do not get through for future releases?  If not, any chance we can get a PTR similar to Overwatch for this game where beta builds of new features are available to test before release?  At least have a team of dedicated and trusted community members be able to test this privately?

Having this allows you to hit compatibility testing on a wider level to help ensure fewer connectivity problems with an addition of direct hands on feedback for newer features.  

Finally with the state of this patch being as it is, does this effect future patch/content release dates?  Will we at least see a quick fix patch to address some of the more minor issues somewhat soon?

Thanks again and looking forward to the response. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I hope you can understand that for some of us the frustration stems not just from some of the mistakes - you're human, I get that - but from the fact that a number of unannounced changes were implemented.  I hate the new window breaking animation - but if we'd known about it ahead of time maybe we could have suggested adding it as a help for new players unfamiliar with combat stancing to break open windows, but also left the original method in place for more experienced players.  Everybody wins.

Barring that, it would have at least been nice to find out about it in the patch notes, and not in game, when I'm standing there like an idiot hacking a glass window repeatedly with dull, wooden THUMPS until I stopped swinging and saw the button prompt pop up.  There's no reason to sneak that kind of change in under the radar - if you're going to tweak fundamental game mechanics, be straight up with us about it UP FRONT.  Don't wait until people are up in arms and then let us know you're 'looking at our feedback' on it.  We could have given constructive feedback ahead of time if we'd known about it, or known it was coming and been less upset when giving our thoughts on the change.  If we knew the change was there.

The problem is, you rely on us to identify bugs.  To pick out things that aren't working as they're meant to, record them, make you aware of them so that you guys can squash them and get the game working the way you intend it to.  If you don't tell us when you are changing how the mechanics work, how are we supposed to KNOW if something is a bug or an intended change?  The only way I knew the window breaking thing was a change is when I finally saw the button prompt pop up in front of one window.

I've seen numerous complaints from people that Jason can now execute them during the window when the game is detecting whether or not the counselor has a pocket knife on them.  I assume THAT'S not deliberate, but if you don't tell us when you're making changes, how do we know?  Maybe you decided pocket knives were OP and made a balance change without informing us about it.  We can't help you guys if you sneak in major mechanical changes and don't TELL us what's being tweaked.

Really nice to hear an update n that you're working on it as players are frustrated, it helps. 

5 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I've said time and time again that the community needs to show more patience and give the team the benefit of the doubt. But this update might be pushing me to my breaking point.

A lot of the issues that needed addressed simply weren't, aside from team killing...But when a patch INTRODUCES this many new bugs, red flags start to pop up...The new and unnecessary Window breaking animation, hits on doors not registering, pocket knives not working...this stuff is completely unacceptable. Especially when there wasn't any reason to mess with these things.

I've been playing through the tough times waiting for you guys to do something that'll bring people back...Seems you've gone backwards here. I hope a quick fix can be executed here otherwise it's likely over for this game.

This, 100%  ^
The patch is much appreciated, in general.  As an Xbox player certainly the increased game stability and baby steps to improving matchmaking go a long way, for me.
But the fact you snuck in mechanical changes without letting us know ahead of time, or even including them in the patch notes after the fact, is infuriating.  And as mentioned above, makes it impossible for us to tell sometimes what's a bug and what's a tweak you made without telling us.
The new bugs (or what we think are probably bugs) being introduced are definitely reason for concern - especially when something as basic as "roughly half the perks (or more?) either don't work at all, don't work as advertised, or in fact do the opposite of what they're supposed to do" have yet to be addressed despite being broken since Day 1.

Which makes it especially aggravating that you guys make unadvertised tweaks to gameplay and mechanics before you've even fixed a bunch of the existing mechanics which have been broken since the game released.

8 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

A lot of the issues that needed addressed simply weren't, aside from team killing...But when a patch INTRODUCES this many new bugs, red flags start to pop up...The new and unnecessary Window breaking animation, hits on doors on registering, pocket knives not working...this stuff is completely unacceptable. Especially when there wasn't any reason to mess with these things.

Leaked footage of Guns Q&A team

giphy.gif

"Well, the buttons work. Good enough."

Just now, Ban_All_Music said:

@AldermachXI Pretty sure that is the first post I have ever liked of yours. Says a lot if you are on the "other" side on this one.

Not the first post I liked of his, but I definitely agree.

5 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

@AldermachXI Pretty sure that is the first post I have ever liked of yours. Says a lot if you are on the "other" side on this one.

Haha...Should speak VOLUMES to the devs.

I dunno dude. I'm patient. I've been gaming a long time and seen plenty worse support for games. But like I said, when shit starts going backwards and plain silly (new window breaking), that's where I draw the line...

Fix what the community wants fixed. Don't add content and game mechanics literally no one asked for...

SolidusPrime and thatdudescott like this

28 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

What about the fact that Jason can now get stuck in a stunned loop and take damage while being stunned now??? 

I noticed this myself. I got pocket knifed, then whilst being stuck watching the animation of Jason pulling it out of his neck, I received damage from a machete. 

The statement on the update problems is much appreciated. Many thanks.

What frustrates me most is that I took half a vacation day to play the game this afternoon and I got in a total of two matches - both ending abruptly due to the host quitting - before PS4 matchmaking went down completely. Infuriating, really. 

I purchased a PS4 SPECIFICALLY for this game and I've been playing faithfully and consistently when time and working servers allow. I'm staying patient and loyal...for now

I'm still finding pretty substantial issues with matchmaking on Xbox. A hard reset does not help, and it's not my connection. I can play other online games just fine. Spent 10 minutes in empty lobbies tonight. Which is the worst it's ever been. Finally got a game after a while. We are now 3 patches deep. I feel this is an issue that will never get fully resolved.

On the plus side, I like the smaller maps. And I have no problems with the new window breaking mechanism. It makes sense to have it when you have prompts for everything else breakable/interactive. 

Hand on heart, not really noticing the improved textures. The lens flares are a little better, but that's all that's stood out for me so far. Also, I haven't seen this "wood" thing. But I have only played 3 games since the patch. 

Someone else mentioned the door breaking being buggy? I encountered this. Seriously laggy at some points. Like, a hole appears in the door 3 seconds after I've hit it. I'm genuinely interested to see how this runs on the Scorpio. 

Still love this game. And now my daughter is in to Jason. We watched Part 8 together last night. Great times 😍

Kannon Blasphemy likes this

Just now, Spinesplitter said:

I purchased a PS4 SPECIFICALLY for this game and I've been playing faithfully and consistently when time and working servers allow. I'm staying patient and loyal...for now

Get used to the one step forward and two steps back mentality. 

thatdudescott likes this

Wow don't think I've ever seen a developer actually reply to and update a community so fast and with actual useful information of what they are doing. Great job guys:)

3 minutes ago, Spinesplitter said:

The statement on the update problems is much appreciated. Many thanks.

What frustrates me most is that I took half a vacation day to play the game this afternoon and I got in a total of two matches - both ending abruptly due to the host quitting - before PS4 matchmaking went down completely. Infuriating, really. 

If you are taking days off work for a game.......anyway, hope things get sorts soon. I have some fun games in the small maps yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

If you are taking days off work for a game.......anyway, hope things get sorts soon. I have some fun games in the small maps yesterday.

People take day offs for their HOBBY. This is completely normal, if you're playing or whatever but anyway...lets just comment. Due to bugs the fun is not really that present.

Spinesplitter and SolidusPrime like this

2 minutes ago, Muffinsfressnapf said:

People take day offs for their HOBBY. This is completely normal, if you're playing or whatever but anyway...lets just comment. Due to bugs the fun is not really that present.

I don't know many people who take days off for a video game. Just my personal experiences. Anyway, I still had a blast with the new maps. Tactics have to be adjust with the new maps.

8 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Get used to the one step forward and two steps back mentality. 

I've been playing since launch day and I am used to it but...was hoping the patch would be a real leap forward. 

I've learned my lesson - no more getting my hopes up! I really should know better.