NthnButAGoodTime

Haunted trails, corn mazes, haunts, escape rooms and live horror experiences

6 posts in this topic

Halloween is around the corner, and I have a family tradition of heading out to one of the regional haunts that pop up in the fall. I'm still deciding if I'm revisiting one of the last ones we experienced or if we're seeking out something new. 

Do you work at a haunt? Do you run one? Do you still have nightmares from your last visit to one?

Share your experience here!

This topic is inspired by @stringfellow888's introductory post, which you can read in the link below. He has a great story in there.

1 person likes this

On 8/25/2017 at 9:10 AM, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Halloween is around the corner, and I have a family tradition of heading out to one of the regional haunts that pop up in the fall. I'm still deciding if I'm revisiting one of the last ones we experienced or if we're seeking out something new. 

Do you work at a haunt? Do you run one? Do you still have nightmares from your last visit to one?

Share your experience here!

This topic is inspired by @stringfellow888's introductory post, which you can read in the link below. He has a great story in there.

I love Halloween and it is a month long celebration in New Orleans. I have been on several Haunted Swamp Tours, and all of them were fun in their own way. I have also gone to The House of Shock Haunted Attraction 5 out of the 8 years that I have lived here. I really hope they bring it back this year, but I am skeptical. 

I think one of the best Halloween experiences I've had since I moved here, other than the House of Shock, was the Haunted Swamp (escape) Room at Clue Carre' downtown. You can read about it here: https://www.cluecarre.com/the-rooms/haunted-swamp-room/ It was pretty challenging, and just creepy enough to be really cool. Me and the wifey went with a few friends, and we had a blast. We made it out in just under 45 minutes. I'm looking forward to checking out the other escape rooms they have there. 

Great topic!

1 person likes this

I did a haunted house, where my job was to pop out of the medicine cabinet of a very bloody bathroom.

I had to quit after two days from slamming my ribcage into the back end of the cabinet over and over. I might have been too committed to the part.

1 person likes this

I volunteered for haunted houses in my area during high school and college. It was a lot of fun doing them.

I refused to go into any as a child because it scared me, I later got over that fear by working in them.

The first time I was Dr. Frankenstein having to have the assistant pull the switch and do my best version "It's Alive!" over and over for 2 hours. I had no voice at the end of the night.

The second time was jumping out in the kitchen in a hood for a manor.

I feel bad for the children that were literally crying and were taken by their parents. Those kids really wanted to go home.

1 person likes this

On 8/27/2017 at 8:48 PM, Beetlejuice91 said:

I volunteered for haunted houses in my area during high school and college. It was a lot of fun doing them.

I refused to go into any as a child because it scared me, I later got over that fear by working in them.

The first time I was Dr. Frankenstein having to have the assistant pull the switch and do my best version "It's Alive!" over and over for 2 hours. I had no voice at the end of the night.

The second time was jumping out in the kitchen in a hood for a manor.

I feel bad for the children that were literally crying and were taken by their parents. Those kids really wanted to go home.

Same.  I volunteered as a scarer 2 years in a row at the university ran haunted house.  So much fun.

What was great about it was how much freedom it gave me.  Figuring out what works and what doesn't work.  Putting scenes on with others.  Gets the creative juices flowing.  

My character wasn't too creative though.  I was just some shirtless dude with jeans on and a bunch of  gory cuts on his body.  The make up was really good for how low budget it was.  I guess you can say I was just some insane person, as I'm naturally pretty crazy anyways, so I would just run around and mumble a bunch of retarded shit.

I found that the best bits are the jump scare bits where they don't see you initially.  I had one where as the group turned the corner into my room, I would throw a weighted vest at their feet from underneath a table (I realize now how much of a tripping hazard this was) to get their attention and crawl from underneath the table.  So they would just be going through the small room and all of a sudden out of no where, there's this weird guy crawling at their feet, then I just stand up and stare into their eyes, maybe laughing or just mumbling some incoherent shit.  Worked most of the time.

The worst feeling ever for me was trying my absolute hardest, and not scaring anyone in the group.  Just ego crushing.  Failing at your job.

I urge anyone who's big into Halloween to work at a haunted house.  Although mine was at a small haunted house at a university.  People's experiences might differ if they're at a large, big budget haunted house.  I would figure there would be more restrictions on what you're allowed to do at those.  The haunted house I was at was more of a free for all.

1 person likes this

Where I live, the haunts are in rural areas, on farm land, and a minimum of an hour's drive from my town. As a consumer, there's a bit of a gamble:

Do I repeat and go to one I've already visited? In my experience the scares all happen in the same spots, so I lose the element of surprise. Do I try a new place? I run the risk of driving way out only to find that it's more of an amateurish production.

To my good fortune (so far) each new haunt has been a pleasant surprise. The places I've been take their productions seriously and the sets, costumes, and makeup have all been phenomenal.